• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
So am I the only one here fantasizing about jumping off a high place and supermaning to the ground with ground pound (hopefully killing a vehicle on the way down)?

I disagree with the mountain molehill analogy.
If what Quinn said is true, and the rest of the abilities are integrated with each other like clamber is, then I can see there being a easy to learn hard to master thing going on for all the abilities. Ground pound has more use than just for hitting a guy below you too. It can be used for traversal as seen in a specific fight in a video that I can find in a moment.

Composer deserves to be counted as one of the great Halo levels across all the games, IMO. Got a nice mix of all types of combat. It's a shame that Midnight fizzles after the really fun space section.

I think how you rank the games also depends on what elements of the game you react most to--I find Reach far more tedious in places because while the level design is pretty great for large stretches, the sandbox just makes encounters less fun. Bullet-spongy enemies or not, I feel like I have far more options for engagement in Halo 4.
Composer was a really solid level. Like you said it's a shame how Midnight just kinda becomes... lame towards the end. To be fair it's hard to top SUPER AWESOME TRENCH RUN SPACE MISSILE AA BATTLE SHIELD DESTROYER. Which is probably why that should have been an ending segment for a level as opposed to an opening.

This reminds me. Is anyone else bothered by some of the interiors of Halo 4's forerunner architecture? I know they're aliens and all but while some of them are really beautiful and look like they had a purpose, most of the time I'm just wondering what the fuck the buildings were designed for. Where's the places they ate at? Where are the homes? Or the places of recreation? I might be over thinking it I guess.

Reach was a solid campaign but it did feel limited yeah.

Pretty sure I did Halo 4 solo legendary in like 25 deaths. Halo 3 was atleast 50 deaths. Halo 2 atleast 200. Halo:CE probably 150. Only times I really die in Halo 4 are because of bad design. AKA the scattershot and its damage that seems to fluctuate every shot. Or Promethean Knights with a Binary Rifle.

343 take note that every sniper enemy in previous Halo's can be killed in one shot - you know, to balance it out. These knights take two clips of a DMR/Lightrifle, and 95% of the time they just teleport when getting shot at, so you end up wasting like 3 clips, and that is if they haven't sniped you already. Probably one of the most frustrating enemies in any FPS I've played.
Halo 4's difficulty was fake difficulty because it used cheap tactics. Hated it so much.
It actually might be easier than Halo 3 though yeah. It's been a while since I've played through it though. I've only played it like... twice.

animation1azzc3.gif
Watched the trailer and I had the stupidest grin on my face.

HaloGAF, in yet another attempt to get 343 to hire me, I bring you more fan-created hype music/fan soundtrack by me.

Check it out :)

I based it off what we've heard in the Halo 5 Beta videos so far. Orchestra and electric guitar with a middle-eastern/phrygian vibe.

Yes I'm a SLRPer. dealwithit.gif

-Ryn

Banned
HaloGAF, in yet another attempt to get 343 to hire me, I bring you more fan-created hype music/fan soundtrack by me.

I based it off what we've heard in the Halo 5 Beta videos so far. Orchestra and electric guitar with a middle-eastern/phrygian vibe.

giphy.gif

Sounds really good dude

Fuchsdh

Composer was a really solid level. Like you said it's a shame how Midnight just kinda becomes... lame towards the end. To be fair it's hard to top SUPER AWESOME TRENCH RUN SPACE MISSILE AA BATTLE SHIELD DESTROYER. Which is probably why that should have been an ending segment for a level as opposed to an opening.

This reminds me. Is anyone else bothered by some of the interiors of Halo 4's forerunner architecture? I know they're aliens and all but while some of them are really beautiful and look like they had a purpose, most of the time I'm just wondering what the fuck the buildings were designed for. Where's the places they ate at? Where are the homes? Or the places of recreation? I might be over thinking it I guess.

Endings are hard to do. Really, We've had one good ending, two bad endings, and a rehash of the good ending again with the mainline Halo games. The gameplay before then weren't really novel departures either, which I think is part of the problem; Halo has such a good combat loop and sandbox that it would be kind of weird to throw it all out for some big finale. But I'm not sure what would sell the final gameplay segments for Halo 4--clearly just clearing towers around the enemy wasn't great, and only getting to dispatch the Didact with a QTE wasn't all that fun (but then again neither was fighting Tartarus.)

As for "home" environments, we've never really seen any. Halo 4 and the Greg Bear novels kind of offer an out in that regard, in that it shows that the Forerunner could reshape large parts of their vessels and environment to suit their needs, and that like Chief they had a large amount of self-sufficiency in their armor. But yeah, considering that they went through the effort to make the rings, etc, navigable by on-foot Forerunners, it's odd they didn't have any sort of living arrangements or accommodations. I guess you could always say those were on another part of the ring...

-Ryn

Banned
Endings are hard to do. Really, We've had one good ending, two bad endings, and a rehash of the good ending again with the mainline Halo games. The gameplay before then weren't really novel departures either, which I think is part of the problem; Halo has such a good combat loop and sandbox that it would be kind of weird to throw it all out for some big finale. But I'm not sure what would sell the final gameplay segments for Halo 4--clearly just clearing towers around the enemy wasn't great, and only getting to dispatch the Didact with a QTE wasn't all that fun (but then again neither was fighting Tartarus.)
If there's one thing I will commend Destiny for, its their raids (and the core gameplay is solid but that only gets you so far). The boss fights in the raids are interesting and fun to do. Though they are completely focused on co op so you'd need to figure out a way to make that into a boss fight that works one on one. I mean I'd love to see a cool 1v1 fight but since Halo is mostly based around shooting and its melee system doesn't really have much going for it you might have trouble pulling it off. I don't know maybe for Halo 5 they could have a boss fight that has some new mechanics introduced that are exclusive to that fight and aren't anywhere else in the game.

If they could make the boss fight incredibly fun and badass then I think it could've worked out as an end game thing. That QTE was just so bad though. The trench mission imo should've been the ending for the second to last level and transitioned to the final level. Make it so you are coming off a high and then have it slowly ramp up again to the final battle.

-Ryn

Banned
As for "home" environments, we've never really seen any. Halo 4 and the Greg Bear novels kind of offer an out in that regard, in that it shows that the Forerunner could reshape large parts of their vessels and environment to suit their needs, and that like Chief they had a large amount of self-sufficiency in their armor. But yeah, considering that they went through the effort to make the rings, etc, navigable by on-foot Forerunners, it's odd they didn't have any sort of living arrangements or accommodations. I guess you could always say those were on another part of the ring...
Yeah I guess you could go with that.
It's just, I figured we would see SOMETHING on Requiem that gave insight into their culture. Cities maybe. I mean with the Halo rings it's more acceptable since nothing was really meant to live there for a long time (it's a preservation as opposed to a home if that makes sense). However the Shield Worlds were meant to be new homes to stay in until the flood was gone. So why is there nothing to indicate that something might've lived there?

I've always wanted to see this kind of stuff. Evidence of a lost civilization that doesn't just look like a pretty machine or a giant computer ya know?

ENS_MPv01.jpg

forerunner-structure-halo-4-concept-art.png

3gQtykC_zps1afe0ef1.jpg

dylancolehalocanceled580px.jpg

willow ve

Got the MCC Xbox One bundle at Walmart last night. But technically it's a Christmas present so I don't get it until then. I'll be joining up with the rest of the Christmas scrubs.

name names
lol
H4's BTB is the worse thing ever, plasma nades and pistols start ruined it and we were told they would not let people spawn with them in the playlist.
Halo 4 BTB is trash. Worst in the series.

Fuckin plasma pistols and ordnance everywhere
But you guys.. Halo 4 BTB has standard loadouts too that doesn't allow Plasma Pistols and Plasma Grenades, rather only allow you to choose between different weapons (ie: DMR, BR, etc.) with the same perks activated.

This BTB in Halo 4 is pretty fun. No one is arguing custom loadouts in Halo 4 BTB is ideal ;'[

Alright, you're on my team to develop
Combat Evolved 2
as soon as 343 gives the go-ahead.

Holy shit. HOLY SHIT! Gives This Man A Job, 343!

TF is fun, but I find it very very casual.

Everyone I play with says the same thing, 'I don't care about my deaths in this game'.

Which isn't a bad thing, but we don't take the game seriously.

The sequel does have immense potential though.

Ramirez

I like the bots. Really sells the scale of the conflict. They're no replacement for players, but then, they're not supposed to be.

Bots are fine for offline, they have no place in an online FPS, if you want to be competitive anyways. But as Elzar said, the game just came off as super casual, not for me.

Fracas

#fuckonami

Everyone I play with says the same thing, 'I don't care about my deaths in this game'.

Halo style combat with Titanfall movement please god yes

jem0208

It's definitely pretty casual, but damn, it's the most fun I've had on an FPS in a very long time.

I like the bots. Really sells the scale of the conflict. They're no replacement for players, but then, they're not supposed to be.

Yeah, they're nice distractions when you can't find a real person to kill.

Halo style combat with Titanfall movement please god yes

This is what I wanted 5 to be ._.

Maybe the thrusters will be awesome enough, we'll see. I still want a double jump though.

Edit: If the thrusters in 5 are as satisfying to use as the dashes in Titanfall then it could be amazing.

Rev3rb

Not sure if this was posted or not...

11.28 2:37 PM Update
Development and testing of our next content update continues, and neither the holiday nor weekend has interrupted progress. We will provide further details and an estimated delivery date in the near future.

"near future" could have been said with better words
like next week or weeks, i can understand its not easy to give a timeframe, but saying something like "near future" doesnt help the reader that much tbh

Tawpgun

I personally would have loved if aiming from the hip was viable in TF.

The fact that you can't wall run/jump AND shoot accuratley was a disappointment.

When I finish Halo 4 if there's no sign of improvement I think I'll try the refund option. I mean I did all the games on legendary but I'm not even touching any half assed matchmaking, apparently for a while. I'm not even mad, I haven't tried MM in weeks because there's no point. All we can do is wait.

Might as well spend the 60 on GTA and maybe get the MCC next year when it's finally fixed.

This isn't a childish "oh I want a refund!" just because Im fresh out of a bad match post like the rest, but it's of no use to me without perfectly functioning matchmaking.

Thanks again 343.

klodeckel

Banned
I haven't tried MM in weeks because there's no point. All we can do is wait.
1. The game is released since 2 1/2 weeks.
2. If you haven't even tried, what is your comment based on then ...?
3. Maybe you should at least try it after the latest patch?
4. The H2A playlist is working really well for me.
5. "I drove 50.000 miles with this car - but then I asked for a refund because the air conditioner is not working".
6. I understand the point you are making. Still sounds pretty "oh I want a refund" if you don't even give it a chance by trying.
7. If you feel like you want a refund and the game isn't worth it for you, just do it.

1. The game is released since 2 1/2 weeks.
2. If you haven't even tried, what is your comment based on then ...?
3. Maybe you should at least try it after the latest patch?
4. The H2A playlist is working really well for me.
5. I understand the point you are making. Still sounds pretty "oh I want a refund" if you don't even give it a chance by trying.
I played like 20 matches. Stopped trying on the 14th. My friends still play and tell me they get uneven teams etc

Im not about that playing half working games life. What's the point in playing it kinda working? Might as well just wait until it's all working properly. Had a blast running through the campaigns again though.

5. "I drove 50.000 miles with this car - but then I asked for a refund because the air conditioner is not working".
This is a stupid fucking point. The difference between multiplayer in a Halo game and the AC in a car are not comparable. One is a major selling point, the other is almost irrelevant in regards to the value.

Unless you buy cars based on how well the AC works, and in thay case... Well...

-Ryn

Banned
I played like 20 matches. Stopped trying on the 14th. My friends still play and tell me they get uneven teams etc

Im not about that playing half working games life. What's the point in playing it kinda working? Might as well just wait until it's all working properly. Had a blast running through the campaigns again though.
Well I hope your able to get a refund.

Good luck dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom