• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuchsdh

Which game?

I saw Mr Monopoli playing LASO Halo CE with his buddy earlier today and they stopped after the 2nd mission. Seems way too hard and annoying.

He also said that Halo 2 LASO actually might be impossible, due to the skulls and some small bugs. Looking at the skull list for Halo 2 I think he's right.

Yeah the LASO achievements are going to be interesting... I'll definitely leave Halo 1 and 2 for last.

RowdyReverb

Just played as the 1 in a 7v1 game haha. All my teammates left, but I decided to stay. Decided to play as carefully as possible with DMR crouching all the time. Only went -9 in the end, but it was a lot of fun actually. Got message after saying I'm da real MVP lol. Would recommend

Random17

I think a full SLASO Halo 2 might be almost impossible, but LASO including coop is a different story. Having a reusable distraction on hand can be a huge advantage in any encounter.

Haruko

Tried doing the shield bump on Keyes today for the first time...

I probably got outside the map once out of every 20 tries, but could never seem to walk/jump the right way to make it to the bridge room... always either fell off the map to my death, or fell back through the ceiling into the start of the level again. Oi.

klodeckel

Banned
JnJGyNL.gif

First shot did not hit - so 4 pistol shots to get shield down - one more for headshot.

jem0208

JnJGyNL.gif

First shot did not hit - so 4 pistol shots to get shield down - one more for headshot.

Also getting shot from elsewhere, probably not conclusive...

Chance of this being a complete shambles: 128.73%

Oh wait, I thought this was an online thing?

GrizzNKev

Banned
Halo 5's audio is ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The hitmarker sounds and the shield sounds need to change.

New grenade sounds are good though.

Akai__

Solo CE. Yes, it was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. It was weird because sometimes Keyes would give you the pistol, but you don't actually get it and the few grunts in front of the door never spawned. The grunts also go off like nukes. The chain reactions are insane.

I looked at the H2 LASO skulls and just laughed. Too cruel.

Yeah. At first it makes up for hilarious moments, when everything explodes, but then you get frustrated. Had this happening to me with the Flood Carrier forms. They are the worst, when they set up a chain reaction.

Yeah the LASO achievements are going to be interesting... I'll definitely leave Halo 1 and 2 for last.

Me too. 343i changed some skulls already, so lets hope they change them again and make it a little easier. :p

MCC thoughts so far

Started out changing appearances for all the games. Weird that you can't choose individual armor pieces.

Started out with Halo 4 since it was the first one that loaded. Took me a minute to adjust to the control scheme, but Halo 4 looks like a straight-up next gen title in 1080p60. Dawn played fine, and the zero-gravity setpiece would actually be a really fun encounter if the enemies played well. After I beat Dawn I got the untracked build, won't upload error. Only bug I've had so far.

So, CE in 1080p60 is unbelievably awesome. Played through PoA and Halo on Heroic with Universal Bump & Jump and tore through enemies like it was nobody's business. CE is definitely my sweet spot.

I got up to Delta Halo on Normal in the H2A campaign and the anniversary aesthetic is really great. Love Halo Theme Scorpion Mix. It feels good, don't get me wrong, but I'm not a huge fan of the actual encounters - they feel cheaper in terms of difficulty. Battle Rifle looks and feels like it should though, imo. Didn't realize sword cancels weren't as effective in the Vista port, so that was disappointing. I'm getting a shitload of achievements because of how many easter eggs I remember, though. Feels good.

Protip: with Sputnik on, hitting Carrier Forms with the Sword actually launches them away, which can be used to clear up crowds, especially on Oracle.

Hoping to try H2AMP tonight.

belushy

Banned
Also getting shot from elsewhere, probably not conclusive...

Chance of this being a complete shambles: 128.73%

Oh wait, I thought this was an online thing?

Online and lan will both give out HCS points. Top 8(or 16, not sure) teams ranked based on HCS points will go to Season 1 Championships (this would be like National Championships from the MLG days or Global Championships)

jem0208

Online and lan will both give out HCS points. Top 8(or 16, not sure) teams ranked based on HCS points will go to Season 1 Championships (this would be like National Championships from the MLG days or Global Championships)

So it is an online thing (at least partially)?

Chance of being a shambles back up to 128.73%.

belushy

Banned
So it is an online thing (at least partially)?

Chance of being a shambles back up to 128.73%.

I believe LAN events will give more HCS points then online. You'd probably have to win every online event as a team to compete with the teams winning LAN events.

Madness

Was checking my Account activity for my email/xbox/Hotmail. I've gotten several unsuccessful password enter attempts all within several days in November.

Gotten access attempts from IP addresses in La Paz, Mexico and Sao Goncalo, Brazil, also from Logan, near Brisbane Australia. I do have pretty stringent security set up, including a second email, but I don't know, seems somehow my email is out there and some people all over the world randomly trying to break into account.

Edit: Spain, China, Argentina, Georgia as well. What's funny is, they only started after I bought my Xbox One. Before that, I don't have any account activity like that.

Celestia

That's what happens if you leave the bridge really fast. If you hang back from the exit hallway until you get a checkpoint, things spawn as normal.

It's actually a really cool design quirk, though. If you skip the pistol/grunt spawn, grab two weapons, and return to the bridge, you can receive the pistol late even though you're already carrying two weapons. Instead of crashing the game or overwriting one of your weapons or any such business, this results in you being able to carry 3 weapons.

Oh, that's pretty neat!

Yeah. At first it makes up for hilarious moments, when everything explodes, but then you get frustrated. Had this happening to me with the Flood Carrier forms. They are the worst, when they set up a chain reaction.

Yeah, not looking forward to the flood. Ugh.

Halo 5 looks like a fucking gimmick filled terrible excuse for a Halo game. What happened to simplicity.
343 needs to appeal to those modern shooter fans that will drop the game after a week. and to appeal to the casual market that doesnt give a shit about actual halo.

jem0208

Was checking my Account activity for my email/xbox/Hotmail. I've gotten several unsuccessful password enter attempts all within several days in November.

Gotten access attempts from IP addresses in La Paz, Mexico and Sao Goncalo, Brazil, also from Logan, near Brisbane Australia. I do have pretty stringent security set up, including a second email, but I don't know, seems somehow my email is out there and some people all over the world randomly trying to break into account.

Edit: Spain, China, Argentina, Georgia as well. What's funny is, they only started after I bought my Xbox One. Before that, I don't have any account activity like that.

Yeah, I have a bunch of those as well.

India, Belarus, China, Indonesia, Mexico etc.

Halo 5 looks like a fucking gimmick filled terrible excuse for a Halo game. What happened to simplicity.

Default thrusters alone make it look better than all the previous Halos.

*enables anti-salt armour lock*

Yeah, I have a bunch of those as well.

India, Belarus, China, Indonesia, Mexico etc.

Default thrusters alone make it look better than all the previous Halos.

*enables anti-salt armour lock*

this shit here is just you baiting people. i think its time to take a break from posting if all you're going to do is flamebait. along with the fact that you are one of the top posters.

take a break, get some fresh air.

Frustrating is the least I could say about it. It never got sorted out though. So I had my brother hide in the first tunnel while I finished the level alone..haha:p
I forget what we did exactly. A few mission restarts, and then staying close to each other with constant checks of "are you seeing [thing] now? Good." No way that ever happened in the original, this collection creates some weird glitches.

jem0208

this shit here is just you baiting people. i think its time to take a break from posting if all you're going to do is flamebait. along with the fact that you are one of the top posters.

take a break, get some fresh air.
Calm down, it's just a joke.

And I'm being serious. I genuinely think 5 looks really, really good. I'm getting tired of the whole slow paced classic Halo. The MCC is great (when it works) and I think what they've done with H2A is perfect. It's really fun yet also means they can try something new for Halo with 5.

Also just because I generally have the dissenting opinion doesn't mean I'm trying to flame bait. It's just an unfortunate side effect. I'm not going to stop discussing Halo just because the majority disagree with me.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I believe LAN events will give more HCS points then online. You'd probably have to win every online event as a team to compete with the teams winning LAN events.

We'll be releasing the handbook and point distribution shortly but yes, winning a LAN event will give out substantially more points than an online event, depending on the size of the LAN event.

We'll be releasing the handbook and point distribution shortly but yes, winning a LAN event will give out substantially more points than an online event, depending on the size of the LAN event.
You's gonna release a working game anytime soon? I'd be more interested in that personally.

I'm not good enough for tournaments

TCKaos

Will it be possible to register a LAN event for the HCS? Like, if I wanted to make an HCS event through my University's gaming club, would that be possible?

I'm really liking the sound of this. It's like the Road to EVO.

Madness

Calm down, it's just a joke.

And I'm being serious. I genuinely think 5 looks really, really good. I'm getting tired of the whole slow paced classic Halo. The MCC is great (when it works) and I think what they've done with H2A is perfect. It's really fun yet also means they can try something new for Halo with 5.

Also just because I generally have the dissenting opinion doesn't mean I'm trying to flame bait. It's just an unfortunate side effect. I'm not going to stop discussing Halo just because the majority disagree with me.

I agree. I'm also tired of the slow placed Halo. This is something I don't get either. People like to say you have classic Halo as if we are swimming in tons of perfect classic experiences. We have CE, and Halo 2 and probably Halo 3. Of these games, each game has gotten slower. Plus the fans of CE disliked 2 and 3. The fans of Halo 2 disliked Halo 3. The fans of Halo 3 disliked Reach etc.

With Halo 5 we're going to have as many mainline Halo multiplayer games with radical departure gameplay as we do classic. That's right, CE/2/3 with equal starts, no sprint gameplay vs Reach/4/5 with sprint, some form of abilities or drastic changes like perks, loadouts, movement.

The one outlier is indeed Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer but it plays/looks like Halo 4 without flinch and sprint, but has "weapon sets", killcams etc. Plus we only have 6 maps, which truth be told I'm already tired of despite playing a handful of times only. And because it was so broken at launch, it will never recover to the point it could have been. Not saying this is you Jem, but something I've observed anecdotally as well. You have people who's first Halo game was Halo 3, and then they liked Reach and Halo 4 and then say, I'm tired of classic Halo, when it's like they've never really played it.

CliQ

6aEghOT.jpg

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Just wanted to remind everyone that tonight is the MCC Throwdown.

Heading back to a classic this week! If you would like to play in this week's match send me a PM with your GT (if I don't have it already) so I can add you to the list.

If you want to know what the MCC Throwdown is all about then take peek at this.

Only about 2 hours until we start. I'll have the lobby open around 930pm EST. See you on the battlefield!

Booshka

6aEghOT.jpg

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Just wanted to remind everyone that tonight is the MCC Throwdown.

Heading back to a classic this week! If you would like to play in this week's match send me a PM with your GT (if I don't have it already) so I can add you to the list.

If you want to know what the MCC Throwdown is all about then take peek at this.

Only about 2 hours until we start. I'll have the lobby open around 930pm EST. See you on the battlefield!

http://www.twitch.tv/booshka

Shamelessly bumping my Drunk ass for new page. Watch me play Drunk Souls until this starts.

Even after a decade (and more) no game has managed Halo CE campaign's 30 second of (combat) fun.

Pure unadulterated satisfaction.

The more I keep playing, the less and less likely it's looking at me giving Halo 5 any sort of praise.

jem0208

I agree. I'm also tired of the slow placed Halo. This is something I don't get either. People like to say you have classic Halo as if we are swimming in tons of perfect classic experiences. We have CE, and Halo 2 and probably Halo 3. Of these games, each game has gotten slower. Plus the fans of CE disliked 2 and 3. The fans of Halo 2 disliked Halo 3. The fans of Halo 3 disliked Reach etc.

With Halo 5 we're going to have as many mainline Halo multiplayer games with radical departure gameplay as we do classic. That's right, CE/2/3 with equal starts, no sprint gameplay vs Reach/4/5 with sprint, some form of abilities or drastic changes like perks, loadouts, movement.

The one outlier is indeed Halo 2 Anniversary multiplayer but it plays/looks like Halo 4 without flinch and sprint, but has "weapon sets", killcams etc. Plus we only have 6 maps, which truth be told I'm already tired of despite playing a handful of times only. And because it was so broken at launch, it will never recover to the point it could have been. Not saying this is you Jem, but something I've observed anecdotally as well. You have people who's first Halo game was Halo 3, and then they liked Reach and Halo 4 and then say, I'm tired of classic Halo, when it's like they've never really played it.

When I say classic Halo, I'm not really referring to anything specific. However from a core gameplay experience I don't think Reach and 4 were that radical a departure. BR (or DMR) duels still played out pretty similarly; shoot, strafe, grenade, melee.

Default thrusters adds a whole new spin to the formula IMO. Movement suddenly becomes much more important during a firefight. Whereas with more classic Halo, movement only really plays a big role in the set up to a fight. Combine thrusters with sprinting and clamber and you have a massive amount of new options for moving about the map, both during firefights and not. The possibilities created by combining these new abilities look fantastic. It's the biggest departure from the "classic" Halo formula so far and I think it looks great.

Also, my first real game was CE, I bought an OG Xbox for Halo 2 then a 360 for Halo 3. I've played a lot of Halo :p

VinFTW

Even after a decade (and more) no game has managed Halo CE campaign's 30 second of (combat) fun.

Pure unadulterated satisfaction.

The more I keep playing, the less and less likely it's looking at me giving Halo 5 any sort of praise.
After playing through all 4 campaigns on legendary, halo 3, for me, is hands down the best halo campaign and one of the best fps campaigns I've played to date. The only game that comes close or could be better is half life 2 and its episodes.

Man, 7 years later and 7 years older, halo 3's campaign is so beautiful, epic, emotional, and pretty much perfect. The dialogue comes full circle (we're it so easy gave me goosebumps) and the slight bit of humanity you get from the chief blows me away (head resting).

Sorry for the story. I'll make a RTTP soon.

Tawpgun

Am I the only one that finds h2a almost unpolished? The audio seems off, melee are wonky etc

Oh and cliq, I'm down to play in customs send an invah my way whenever

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Will it be possible to register a LAN event for the HCS? Like, if I wanted to make an HCS event through my University's gaming club, would that be possible?

I'm really liking the sound of this. It's like the Road to EVO.

Yes. There will be certain criteria the tournament organizer would have to meet but it will be open to application in that way.

Yeah to heck with classic Halo.

CE really needs the spawn times and spawns fixed since no one can ever capture the flag due to the quick respawns back near the flag.
That and the flag returns instantly just by stepping on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom