• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueblur1

Guess that doesn't count for Twitter.

Prefer Twitter over GAF since its quicker to post a tweet. Often times I don't need to post anything here because I share a lot of the same opinions others are already expressing. I don't have the time to sit and read pages of a thread everyday either.

-Ryn

Banned
Ryn, i like you. but if you look objectively at your posts, they are A) believing PR speak, and B) sounds like your typical Waypoint slurper.
tumblr_m1nnayzvXG1rody9mo1_400.gif

I've actually been trying to look at the whole situation objectively.
I don't believe everything they say so much as I think what we've seen and heard so far is mostly going in the right direction. I think that there are some really solid ideas they have going for Halo 5. We'll see when the beta comes by, but for now, I'd like to try and keep an open mind. Though I could probably tone down a bit on the crusade lol

Waypoint though? Helllllll nah.

I actually think it's in 343's best interest to add on to the map count of H2A somehow and quickly, whether it's commissioning another set of maps from CA or getting their designers to build faithful Forge recreations. And with how this game launched, they might as well start planning a PC release as well. That way MCC and the classic games and H2A have a wider Halo audience to appeal to. There are a lot of Halo fans that have held out on MCC/XbOne and have a PC. Don't think they're gonna get the console anytime soon now as well.
I'd certainly agree. Having at least 10 maps would be really good for H2A's multiplayer. It looks really fun but it doesn't have enough maps to support it. I'm sure the new and improved forge will certainly help to alleviate this but it's still an issue.

Halo 5 looks infinitely better than Halo 2 Anniversary plays IMO. Faster kill times? Faster, more fluid movement in general? A weapon sandbox that has more range and consistency than we've seen before without the heavy reliance on aim assist (pending for full judgment on aim assist)? AR/Magnum starts with worthy automatics, precision weapons that are precise, 5sk Magnum off spawn and a quick-killing AR means the weapons you pick up have to be legit, Power-ups returning, maps look more fun than anything in Reach and every small map in Halo 4, an art style that isn't gritty, etc. etc.

In my opinion, those going crazy right now when the Beta is so close and the full game is a year away should wait for the shitstorms until they play it. If this was a case where the game would be releasing a month after the Beta then sure, shitstorm away.. but it's too soon right now and unnecessary. All we're doing is going in circles (Halo fans love circles) and throwing poo at each other.

I've said this before, but I don't want another slow-walking, long kill time, 3 weapon sandbox like Halo 2, Halo 3 and H2A when there are so many weapons that exist. The way I see it is Halo 5 should have been what Halo 3 released as after years of fans wanting faster movement/sprint since Halo 2 and the POWER we seem to be getting from Halo 5's sandbox. Watch me love the Beta only for them to pull the typical nerfs for launch where we look back and say, "Too bad we don't have the Beta Carbine or the Beta Dolphin Gun." That's the one thing I hate about Betas.
This this and this. This some more. This again. This is where I'm at as well.

Poo flinging...

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Just wanted to remind everyone that tonight is the MCC Throwdown.

Heading back to a classic this week! If you would like to play in this week's match send me a PM with your GT (if I don't have it already) so I can add you to the list.

If you want to know what the MCC Throwdown is all about then take peek at this.

See you on the battlefield!
Good to see you're alive. How was your Thanksgiving bro?

CliQ

Good to see you're alive. How was your Thanksgiving bro?

Thanksgiving was great! Food, Family, Friends, and Fun! I have some hilarious videos of my wasted friends. It's nice to be back home though. Ready to get back into the normal routine.

Booshka

This is some seriously buggy shit.. Is there any way to know how this works or is it just an inconsistent mess? Losing shields/health off of jumps that shouldn't take any away is extremely frustrating.

I am guessing it has to do with the PC port and the Halo CE engine being pushed to 60 FPS. None of that goofiness happens on 30 FPS. Fall damage, crouch landings, and anything related to jumping are consistent at 30 FPS. 60 FPS and latency issues make for some fascinating glitches with jumping and fall damage it seems.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I'd certainly agree. Having at least 10 maps would be really good for H2A's multiplayer. It looks really fun but it doesn't have enough maps to support it. I'm sure the new and improved forge will certainly help to alleviate this but it's still an issue.

It'd be really, really nice to get 4 more maps into the hopper for H2A from CA, but I'm not holding my breath.

Would honestly be overjoyed if they out-Bungied Bungie and began to include community made maps from H2A forge into the rotations.

Oh, and brought back the veto system instead of voting.

belushy

Banned
yep, it was said before launch that custom map callouts and map thumbnails were planned but didn't make it for retail

I like what I see from Halo 5 so far, with the panning view over the map before the game starts. I hope that is something we can do for forge maps.

edit: Actually I feel stupid because Crossfire is a forge map so we pretty much can do it. Just hopeful we can control the movement of the pan.

I am guessing it has to do with the PC port and the Halo CE engine being pushed to 60 FPS. None of that goofiness happens on 30 FPS. Fall damage, crouch landings, and anything related to jumping are consistent at 30 FPS. 60 FPS and latency issues make for some fascinating glitches with jumping and fall damage it seems.
I wonder if this is fixable or if we're doomed to live with it. Probably doomed.
It'd be really, really nice to get 4 more maps into the hopper for H2A from CA, but I'm not holding my breath.

Would honestly be overjoyed if they out-Bungied Bungie and began to include community made maps from H2A forge into the rotations.

Reach's first Classic playlist with Forge maps and Zero Bloom was pretty fun. They should put some Forge maps in for H2A and allow people to spawn with Carbines as an alternate weapon set.

FyreWulff

I like what I see from Halo 5 so far, with the panning view over the map before the game starts. I hope that is something we can do for forge maps.

edit: Actually I feel stupid because Crossfire is a forge map so we pretty much can do it. Just hopeful we can control the movement of the pan.

If Forge is still the same way, all they would need to do is put Loadout Camera Start and Loadout Camera End. The engine would tween between the two when the map is loaded.

I cant get used to watching people sprint in the halo 5 videos. Its too jarring to watch. Its the equivalent of watching stop motion animations. Stop go stop go stop go, and then the janky arms moving everytime. Its not even fun to follow. And as someone said a while ago, sprint puts an emphasis on developers creating bigger maps to account for it. Im on the side that thinks sprint actually slows the game down. Too much stop go stop crap in game play.

Akai__

I just finished my first LASO level. Not being able to pick up any covenant weapons or grenades really sucks.

Which game?

I saw Mr Monopoli playing LASO Halo CE with his buddy earlier today and they stopped after the 2nd mission. Seems way too hard and annoying.

He also said that Halo 2 LASO actually might be impossible, due to the skulls and some small bugs. Looking at the skull list for Halo 2 I think he's right.

Alchemical

Neo Member
This is some seriously buggy shit.. Is there any way to know how this works or is it just an inconsistent mess? Losing shields/health off of jumps that shouldn't take any away is extremely frustrating.

what in the hell?!

Anyway. Long time since I've been around. I'm yet to dive into the whole MCC stuff, as I haven't got a month's worth of rent to slap down on buying a console, but from what I've read the past 5-6 pages it's all sounding a little ugh.

though the notion of playing these games without glitches in 60fps on dedis still makes my head explode somewhat

And then I thought, "well Halo 5 might be kinda interesting", so I took a look at the Greenskull vids. Saw ADS. Tried not to be sick.

Searched the thread. Realised everyone's been talking about this for ages and the arguments have become somewhat nuanced. I don't really give a crap about a nuanced argument in favour of something that looks like ADS. I've consistently been against this mechanic in FPS games since I began playing thirteen years ago, as the level of distraction & obstruction they create within a limited FoV has always categorically outweighed any argument in their favour. Lore or not.

If it can be toggled on/off, fine. If not

1Yi2Bp0.gif

I guess I'll see a few of you on LANs someday.

If 343i can figure out how to get that working on MCC any time soon

-Ryn

Banned
Thanksgiving was great! Food, Family, Friends, and Fun! I have some hilarious videos of my wasted friends. It's nice to be back home though. Ready to get back into the normal routine.
Nice dude. I just ate Mac n' Cheese. It was delicious.

If they got 4 more maps (2 more large and 1 small and 1 medium) that'd be radical and would be great for the game. Add on the sexy ass forge maps and we've got a solid game.

I really do miss the veto system. If they were to make it like Mario Kart 8 though... that'd be great.

Tawpgun

CE is frustrating.

I get the idea that you need to lead shots but it still feels like a crapshoot when you get into a strafing 1 v 1.

jem0208

That's something I noticed actually. It seems you can set up your own spartan chatter call outs.

The call outs seem to be cross map. I heard the call out "Taking fire in the pit" on both Empire and Crossfire.

Booshka

I wonder if this is fixable or if we're doomed to live with it. Probably doomed.

Reach's first Classic playlist with Forge maps and Zero Bloom was pretty fun. They should put some Forge maps in for H2A and allow people to spawn with Carbines as an alternate weapon set.

If only Halo CE engine was actually redone to run at 60 FPS and with a proper netcode, none of this Gamespy 56K bullshit.

MLG NBNS Reach is actually pretty good, moves faster, good jump, and a precision, single shot weapon. The no bloom aspect ironically made it easier to miss shots, because the giant full Bloom reticule would gift you shots so long as you just spammed to the body. Having the tighter reticule with a more strict bullet trajectory, made the shooting actually pretty skilled.

Ask Over, he grinded Reach MLG for a while. Only problem was all the gray Forge maps.

Hey guys wanted to get your thoughts on this. I just ordered it and hope it will be good for some Throwdown capturing action!
Nice, stepping up your capture equipment eh? I heard that's pretty good, but what I use is an AVerMedia ExtremeCap U3. Works pretty well, plugs into a USB 3.0 so it feels pretty good to play off OBS, but I bought an HDMI splitter for direct goodness.

I might be around tonight, so if anything I'll try to join you guys if there's space. We should do one of those splitscreen/dual streams one of these days.

Ryn and jem are the top posters. No wonder it's so slurpy in here.

No disrespect intended, but every post you two make is pretty 343 centric.

Nothing wrong with that, your opinions are your opinions. Maybe just chill with the constant posting a little. Feels like the topics are getting stale already.

Zoojoo and wahrer all over again

wait, wahrer was slrpy? this is news to me

CliQ

Nice, stepping up your capture equipment eh? I heard that's pretty good, but what I use is an AVerMedia ExtremeCap U3. Works pretty well, plugs into a USB 3.0 so it feels pretty good to play off OBS, but I bought an HDMI splitter for direct goodness.

I might be around tonight, so if anything I'll try to join you guys if there's space. We should do one of those splitscreen/dual streams one of these days.

For sure! I'm planning on streaming a lot more once I get this card. I may even buy another Xbox One just to hook up to my PC and use as a capture station. With trade in of a 360 and the great price cuts on the One now is the best time to buy one.

Ramirez

What's the best way to get par scores done?? I turned on 3-4 skulls for "Halo", on Heroic and only got 11k points, what the fuck? lol

Granadier

For sure! I'm planning on streaming a lot more once I get this card. I may even buy another Xbox One just to hook up to my PC and use as a capture station. With trade in of a 360 and the great price cuts on the One now is the best time to buy one.

Will you have a setup to capture comm audio?

belushy

Banned
That's something I noticed actually. It seems you can set up your own spartan chatter call outs.

The call outs seem to be cross map. I heard the call out "Taking fire in the pit" on both Empire and Crossfire.

I'm more thinking of the call-outs above the radar. That Reach video showed that you could only choose from a list. Personally, I'd want to be able to name the stuff whatever I want. That problem wouldn't fit too well with Spartan chatter, but personally I don't care much for chatter anyway.

Booshka

That's a Microsoft issue, the Voice through Speakers was how people got Voice chat to play through to their streams. That isn't working with the Xbone, so it's almost impossible to get game chat through to your stream, unless you are all in a Skype call.

Anyway. Long time since I've been around. I'm yet to dive into the whole MCC stuff, as I haven't got a month's worth of rent to slap down on buying a console, but from what I've read the past 5-6 pages it's all sounding a little ugh.
Oh, hi! Been a while since I've seen you around :b
MLG NBNS Reach is actually pretty good, moves faster, good jump, and a precision, single shot weapon. The no bloom aspect ironically made it easier to miss shots, because the giant full Bloom reticule would gift you shots so long as you just spammed to the body. Having the tighter reticule with a more strict bullet trajectory, made the shooting actually pretty skilled.

Ask Over, he grinded Reach MLG for a while. Only problem was all the gray Forge maps.
Yupppp, NBNS Reach was pretty good for sure. ZB DMR is the true DMR we deserve, not the one with a lot of aim assist and bloom.
Webcam, green screen, anything else you plan on buying? If so and you need links, I could set you up with some stuff.

As for another Bone, what's the need? You can buy an HDMI splitter and send one feed to the streaming program (OBS) while sending the other directly to your monitor/TV so nothing you add on your stream obstructs your screen.

CliQ

I'll try. I would love to capture our audio in game. Would make it so much more exciting!

Webcam, green screen, anything else you plan on buying? If so and you need links, I could set you up with some stuff.

As for another Bone, what's the need? You can buy an HDMI splitter and send one feed to the streaming program (OBS) while sending the other directly to your monitor/TV so nothing you add on your stream obstructs your screen.

Yeah I may go all out but right now just baby steps. As for the additional One, I need it because I have my PC in another room. I like playing Halo on a couch ya know?

HTupolev

The best part of Christmas season is Christmas avatars. :D

//==========================

I got into a party last night and, for the first time, managed to see what MCC MM is like when you actually get matched with people.

A friend and I were searching in team slayer, and Derelict got selected. While the map was loading, it suddenly switched back to the menu screen, with me as party leader over everyone who we had been matched with. I started a search in BTB because why the hell not, but a few seconds after that it was loading Derelict again. When the game started, everyone from the team slayer matching was still there, but it was FFA slayer on Derelict. After the game, everyone went to a customs lobby where I was party leader.

It was beautiful.

I don't really give a crap about a nuanced argument in favour of something that looks like ADS. I've consistently been against this mechanic in FPS games since I began playing thirteen years ago, as the level of distraction & obstruction they create within a limited FoV has always categorically outweighed any argument in their favour.
The solution, clearly, is 360-degree FoV.

jem0208

I'm more thinking of the call-outs above the radar. That Reach video showed that you could only choose from a list. Personally, I'd want to be able to name the stuff whatever I want. That problem wouldn't fit too well with Spartan chatter, but personally I don't care much for chatter anyway.

Ah right, I think it's interesting that we can make our own spartan call outs though.

Overdoziz

Banned
If only Halo CE engine was actually redone to run at 60 FPS and with a proper netcode, none of this Gamespy 56K bullshit.

Reach MLG was amazing toward the end once they got rid of sprint and bloom. Zero bloom DMR > BR any time for me.

Unfortunately, the only fix for this is through enabling your Kinect for chat so voices come through the speakers. In this case, your friends will hear you through the Kinect while people on the stream will hear you through your PC mic, but at least your friends and others will be heard as well.

Alternatively, you could have all your friends get on Skype and output their voices through your PC speakers to be picked up on stream.
Yeah I may go all out but right now just baby steps. As for the additional One, I need it because I have my PC in another room. I like playing Halo on a couch ya know?
Ahh, yeah I hear ya.
Reach MLG was amazing toward the end once they got rid of sprint and bloom. Zero bloom DMR > BR any time for me.

6aEghOT.jpg

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Just wanted to remind everyone that tonight is the MCC Throwdown.

Heading back to a classic this week! If you would like to play in this week's match send me a PM with your GT (if I don't have it already) so I can add you to the list.

If you want to know what the MCC Throwdown is all about then take peek at this.

See you on the battlefield!

Sure, why not?

Granadier

That's a Microsoft issue, the Voice through Speakers was how people got Voice chat to play through to their streams. That isn't working with the Xbone, so it's almost impossible to get game chat through to your stream, unless you are all in a Skype call.

I'll try. I would love to capture our audio in game. Would make it so much more exciting!

Unfortunately, the only fix for this is through enabling your Kinect for chat so voices come through the speakers. In this case, your friends will hear you through the Kinect while people on the stream will hear you through your PC mic, but at least your friends and others will be heard as well.

Well this is a bummer, but it would make it all the more exciting for the highlight reel.

Trying to arrange a large Skype call alongside the MCC matching system would be a clusterfuck of nuclear proportions.

Booshka

If only Reach was designed to play like NBNS MLG from Day One, game would have been amazing. I imagine there would have been much better maps made to suit the gameplay as well. Combined with its very solid netcode and excellent UI, could have been a great MM experience.

If only has been the case for Halo for a long time now.

Caja 117

The last version of MLG was godlike, as included beaver creek and danmation, thus helping the game with the grayish look it had.

I do think MLG took too long to take sprint away. I remember also how king of the hill came broken from the box and needed a TU to be playable in MLG.

Computer

H2A is getting so frustrating to play. The whole match teams by skill level dose not work what so ever. Every game not only is my team short handed but full of people that have never played Halo. Matched up against pros. Why have ranks if the game completely ignores them?

Speaking of ranks mine randomly went from 13 to 4 overnight while I was not playing.

Celestia

Which game?

I saw Mr Monopoli playing LASO Halo CE with his buddy earlier today and they stopped after the 2nd mission. Seems way too hard and annoying.

He also said that Halo 2 LASO actually might be impossible, due to the skulls and some small bugs. Looking at the skull list for Halo 2 I think he's right.

Solo CE. Yes, it was a lot tougher than I thought it would be. It was weird because sometimes Keyes would give you the pistol, but you don't actually get it and the few grunts in front of the door never spawned. The grunts also go off like nukes. The chain reactions are insane.

I looked at the H2 LASO skulls and just laughed. Too cruel.

If only Reach was designed to play like NBNS MLG from Day One, game would have been amazing. I imagine there would have been much better maps made to suit the gameplay as well. Combined with its very solid netcode and excellent UI, could have been a great MM experience.

If only has been the case for Halo for a long time now.
This is too true and tugs at the heart strings.

HTupolev

It was weird because sometimes Keyes would give you the pistol, but you don't actually get it and the few grunts in front of the door never spawned.
That's what happens if you leave the bridge really fast. If you hang back from the exit hallway until you get a checkpoint, things spawn as normal.

It's actually a really cool design quirk, though. If you skip the pistol/grunt spawn, grab two weapons, and return to the bridge, you can receive the pistol late even though you're already carrying two weapons. Instead of crashing the game or overwriting one of your weapons or any such business, this results in you being able to carry 3 weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom