• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

There is a certain flow of gameplay and combat when you can't sprint. Loving the old gameplays of Halo 1-3

Would prefer they kept all the mobility things they have in Halo 5 and just remove sprint.

But it aint gonna happen yall

Madness

There is a certain flow of gameplay and combat when you can't sprint. Loving the old gameplays of Halo 1-3

Would prefer they kept all the mobility things they have in Halo 5 and just remove sprint.

But it aint gonna happen yall

Yeah I feel the same. Thruster pack, forward dash, ground and pound, even clamber would feel and be utilized much better if there was only a single base movement. No sprint, but faster movement.

You never know though. Maybe they'll finally understand the importance of choice and have it be toggleable in settings, that way you could also turn it off for certain playlists or customs etc.

So you acknowledge that lateral strafing is a pillar of Halo gameplay but still support the inclusion of a movement mechanic that cannot be used laterally?

klodeckel

Banned
One thing I always notice when I read all these "sprint destroyz Halo" posts here lately is the fact that these kind of comments are completely ignoring all the 20+ gameplay videos we already have for Halo 5 - and pretty much not a single one of them is showing actual dumb gameplay situations that are related to the sprint mechanic. Especially in the live Halo 5 eSports match you rarely see a single person sprinting at all. The only situation I am seeing in the videos over and over again are people sprinting into battles likes idiots and then simpy getting destoyed by other players. This isn't a "sprint whenever you can" game. Sprinting comes with a cost. Not only the stop at shield recharge, but also the time you need to get your weapon up again after a sprint.

Why aren't people paying attention to this? If one single not-so-good looking gameplay video hits the surface (yes, I am talking about you, dutch dude), everyone freaks out because they saw bad plays by a bad player. But the fact they are obviously doing many of the things communities like this one here demanded gets downplayed so damn fast. I am talking about all these things like equal starts, no weapon unlocks, no weapon attachments, no custom perks, no individual spartan abilities, no kill streaks, no ordnance drops, no grenade indicator, no real ads, competetive focus, small maps, weapon control, stronger team play, descope, a real competetive division tier ranking system, less aim assist ... I could go on with this list for another 10 min. The overall pessimism is something I am really tired from. They are clearly trying out some new things. Maybe I'm too optimistic. Maybe some of you show too much pessimism.

jem0208

One thing I always notice when I read all these "sprint destroyz Halo" posts here lately is the fact that these kind of comments are completely ignoring all the 20+ gameplay videos we already have for Halo 5 - and pretty much not a single one of them is showing actual dumb gameplay situations that are related to the sprint mechanic. Especially in the live Halo 5 eSports match you rarely see a single person sprinting at all. The only situation I am seeing in the videos over and over again are people sprinting into battles likes idiots and then simpy getting destoyed by other players. This isn't a "sprint whenever you can" game. Sprinting comes with a cost. Not only the stop at shield recharge, but also the time you need to get your weapon up again after a sprint.

Why aren't people paying attention to this? If one single not-so-good looking gameplay video hits the surface (yes, I am talking about you, dutch dude), everyone freaks out because they saw bad plays by a bad player. But the fact they are obviously doing many of the things communities like this one here demanded gets downplayed so damn fast. I am talking about all these things like equal starts, no weapon unlocks, no weapon attachments, no custom perks, no individual spartan abilities, no kill streaks, no ordnance drops, no grenade indicator, no real ads, competetive focus, small maps, weapon control, stronger team play, descope, a real competetive division tier ranking system, less aim assist ... I could go on with this list for another 10 min. The overall pessimism is something I am really tired from. They are clearly trying out some new things. Maybe I'm too optimistic. Maybe some of you show too much pessimism.

This is what I meant by my previous post. If you watch the most recent gameplay sprint is hardly used at all.

In the Battlefront games (Star Wars btw) the Tusken Raiders were a neutral NPC team on one side of the map. This was in the Conquest mode (which is capture points like Domination from CoD and Territories from Halo) one of the points was in their base so you had to fight them and the opposing team.

I would want it in a different form. Maybe in Invasion or BTB.

I've said it numerous times, but Breakout looks great. Make it Pistol starts with BRs on the map and its golden. Add an objective too.

As for Crossfire, I still can't tell if those big buildings are forgable. Looking through the beta vidoc, you can see a different variant of the map, but I can't tell if the buildings were moved/deleted. Still, I am happy with the quality of forge pieces this time around. Nice aesthetic and a lot of different shapes, not just different sized cubes.

Sounds Halo Wars-y.

Computer

Wait until the game hits the real world. Anything that can be used for a cheap kill or escape a death will be abused. The vids online are of people that have only played a few games and have not yet learned to use or abuse the new AA's.

The only thing 343 did was take armor abilities that everyone hates and add them equally to each player. Halo 5 boom.

Booshka

This is what I meant by my previous post. If you watch the most recent gameplay sprint is hardly used at all.

So take out Sprint and increase the Base Movement Speed, you know, a good Halo game.

You guys are sorta oblivious to see the big picture.

The real problem is sprint and large maps to fill in the gap for solving movement.

Simply nerf sprint (or remove it) and minimize maps.

You'll have a more stable flow.

"But X amount of ppl don't really use sprint in those gameplay vids"

That doesn't mean it neglects the possibilities that "? Spartan Abilities" can damage and/or break the flow of the map and control.

klodeckel

Banned
Wait until the game hits the real world. Anything that can be used for a cheap kill or escape a death will be abused. The vids online are of people have only played a few games and have no yet learned to use or abuse the new AA's.

I could bring the same argument and say "but people have not yet learned how to counter things" - so there is no point you are making ... In fact, I don't even say sprint will work here for sure. That's not my statement. I only say that so far - based on the material we have - some of the concerns here are not based on facts.

You guys are sorta oblivious to see the big picture.

The real problem is sprint and large maps to fill in the gap for solving movement.

Simply nerf sprint (or remove it) and minimize maps.

You'll have a more stable flow.

"But X amount of ppl don't really use sprint in those gameplay vids"

That doesn't mean it neglects the possibilities that "? Spartan Abilities" can damage and/or break the flow of the map and control.
Show it to me ...? Again - and I don't know about you - but I can only judge on the things I see. Everything you say is understandable, but it currently does not reflect anything that really happens in Halo 5. I mean, you are even saying NOW ALREADY what they should nerf and what they should buff ... I say this with all my respect, but ... What the fuck? You haven't touched the game for a second.

Computer

Can't wait for the beta and the discussion. Once people abuse everything and play like jerks, you'll understand.

Agreed. I also cant wait for the out cry of things to be removed fall on deaf ears. I feel like we are back in the pre Halo 4 days. History keeps repeating its self.

TheOddOne

when others cant get their nose outta the dev ass to see what could be wrong with the new elements, then repeated arguments will happen.
To be fair, it’s annoying when people’s first defense is “they are kissing the dev's ass” to deflect an argument. It’s as bad as those who do kiss the dev's ass.

Madness

Nah guys, we're all a bunch of argumentative fundamentalist Halo puritans. It's not like the last 4 years have any bearing on what we say. Halo 5 will be different, Greenskull hardly used sprint in his exclusive videos, the gameplay needs to evolve (you've played enough CE/2/3, but apparently evolved gameplay attempts of Reach and 4 don't count), the new mechanics are interesting and needed.

K8WcZ5l.png

Computer

Nah guys, we're all a bunch of argumentative fundamentalist Halo puritans. It's not like the last 4 years have any bearing on what we say. Halo 5 will be different, Greenskull hardly used sprint in his exclusive videos, the gameplay needs to evolve (you've played enough CE/2/3, but apparently evolved gameplay attempts of Reach and 4 don't count), the new mechanics are interesting and needed.

K8WcZ5l.png

In greenskulls newest vid he was spiriting like 80% of the time. Not one time did the sprint shield nerf come into play. Basically sprint to you death rinse repeat just like H4

It would never happen but would be cool for the beta to give us a non sprint version to try out.

Hahahahah.
That's it. loool.
I hope you are right bro.
Really looking forward to it :D

When of the craziest glitches I had in H2A is on Quarantine Zone level.

I was playing legendary co with my brother over live, And we got separated on the first tunnel. Each time. And when I say separated I don't mean from each other Physically, I mean separated in time. Like I was driving the ghost and was almost done with the level, but my player was still beside my brother also driving but crashing and falling. So when my player with my brothers dies, I also die and vice versa. So my brother kept telling me what am I doing? Why are you falling of cliffs and like that, I say am not, Am in the second tunnel now. And boom, am dead.

We got separated. To parallel universes.

What my brother had on his screen wasn't on mine, Even though the player were physically together, But they weren't. Sort of... Crazy
This happened to my brother and I too! It was so frustrating, we seemed to be put into different instances of the mission during the loading zone in the first tunnel. It took so long to sort out.

-Ryn

Banned
To be fair, it’s annoying when people’s first defense is “they are kissing the dev's ass” to deflect an argument. It’s as bad as those who do kiss the dev's ass.
What would the even be the point of kissing a devs ass?
There is literally no benefit to it.

K8WcZ5l.png
So if they made Halo 5 just like you wanted and it still failed what then?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I just hope they listen to the community and implement an armor-lock feature that automatically activates after ground-pound finishes.

Ryn and jem are the top posters. No wonder it's so slurpy in here.

No disrespect intended, but every post you two make is pretty 343 centric.

Nothing wrong with that, your opinions are your opinions. Maybe just chill with the constant posting a little. Feels like the topics are getting stale already.

Zoojoo and wahrer all over again

jem0208

I can't wait to see the constant bitching regardless of what they do.

It's going to be glorious.

Are there really that many people here who "kiss 343's ass?

I know Ragnarok will claim I do but I genuinely think Halo 5 looks good. I've called 343 out enough on the bullshit which is the MCC.

In greenskulls newest vid he was spiriting like 80% of the time. Not one time did the sprint shield nerf come into play. Basically sprint to you death rinse repeat just like H4

It would never happen but would be cool for the beta to give us a non sprint version to try out.

Seriously? In the latest Empire gameplay he hardly sprints at all.

Madness

What would the even be the point of kissing a devs ass?
There is literally no benefit to it.

So if they made Halo 5 just like you wanted and it still failed what then?

Apparently some are in the belief that because others have been hired from this community, they can be hired too.

Ryn they won't make Halo 5 the way I want it. I'd ultimately believe, based on the past four years, the more they stick to CE/2/3 style gameplay, the more successful they will be with the majority of the fanbase, but that's too be seen. Halo 2 Anniversary was an attempt at giving modern but classic Halo gameplay. There are things I'm sure fans of CE like Funknown and BigShow would change about H2A, or fans of Halo 2 would change about it. But with the utter failure that has been the MCC launch, the fact we only got 6 maps, we can't even see how successful it would have been overall. If H2A launched day one, full suite of maps, without problems. I'd really liked to have seen if people would prefer H5 over it.

It's all a wait and see game now and 343 is brave enough to give us a 3 week beta 11 months in advance. Sure I'm more pessimistic than optimistic, but I'll give Halo 5 an honest shot. 3 weeks to play the hell out of it.

klodeckel

Banned
Can't wait for the beta and the discussion. Once people abuse everything and play like jerks, you'll understand.

Agreed. I also cant wait for the out cry of things to be removed fall on deaf ears. I feel like we are back in the pre Halo 4 days. History keeps repeating its self.

when others cant get their nose outta the dev ass to see what could be wrong with the new elements, then repeated arguments will happen.

K8WcZ5l.png

All I said was that some of the concerns you guys keep posting for 100 pages are not verifiable. In fact, exactly the opposite is happening in the material we have so far. So basically, all you have as a reaction to that is ... "But, but ... Halo 4, ehm ..., History and ... uhm ... I just want another Halo 2 map pack."

I'm not saying Halo 5 will be good. And I'm not saying new things will work. But I also don't take the right to say the opposite. Your glass is half-empty, mine is half-full. That's the story here. Nothing else.

Akai__

All I said was that some of the concerns you guys keep posting for 100 pages are not verifiable. In fact, exactly the opposite is happening in the material we have so far. So basically, all you have as a reaction to that is ... "But, but ... Halo 4, ehm ..., History and ... uhm ... I just want another Halo 2 map pack."

Your glass is half-empty, mine is half-full. That's the story here. Nothing else.

Do you actually believe what you are writing? These videos are NO represantation of how people will play this game. Do you really think, that because one guy is not using sprint nobody will? Not verifiable my ass. lol

Detective

This happened to my brother and I too! It was so frustrating, we seemed to be put into different instances of the mission during the loading zone in the first tunnel. It took so long to sort out.

Frustrating is the least I could say about it. It never got sorted out though. So I had my brother hide in the first tunnel while I finished the level alone..haha:p

jem0208

Do you actually believe what you are writing? These videos are NO represantation of how people will play this game. Do you really think, that because one guy is not using sprint nobody will? Not verifiable my ass. lol

So your assumption that everyone will use sprint everywhere and it will be awful is based on what exactly?

At least there's some evidence indicating that sprint might not be that big of a problem.

Tell that to the other gaffers that gave a similar opinion like mine about Halo 4 before it came out. They were right the whole time.
And it's not rocket science to think of the possible outcomes how the Beta will be like and how the final game could be if such feedback isn't taken into account. 343 did say there's plenty of time to make changes. Well they need to really take our opinions to consideration bcuz what we've seen so far isn't impressive enough to get Halo out of the what Halo 4 had already failed to do. Right now it's a big improvement, but little things like Sprint, Large Maps, "?" other S-abilities needs more tuning. Little things like adding Ground Pound but not realizing it negates crouch jumping is sad to see ahead of time based on what Ghostyame tweeted.

They have realized the issue with ground pound and crouch jump btw, according to some tweet somewhere.

klodeckel

Banned

This is getting really foolish now. Stop responding if you don't even read. Where did I state that people will not use sprint? Read my sentences in regards to sprint again ...

Show it to me ...? Again - and I don't know about you - but I can only judge on the things I see. Everything you say is understandable, but it currently does not reflect anything that really happens in Halo 5. I mean, you are even saying NOW ALREADY what they should nerf and what they should buff ... I say this with all my respect, but ... What the fuck? You haven't touched the game for a second.
Tell that to the other gaffers that gave a similar opinion like mine about Halo 4 before it came out. They were right the whole time.
And it's not rocket science to think of the possible outcomes how the Beta will be like and how the final game could be if such feedback isn't taken into account. 343 did say there's plenty of time to make changes. Well they need to really take our opinions to consideration bcuz what we've seen so far isn't impressive enough to get Halo out of the what Halo 4 had already failed to do. Right now it's a big improvement, but little things like Sprint, Large Maps, "?" other S-abilities needs more tuning. Little things like adding Ground Pound but not realizing it negates crouch jumping is sad to see ahead of time based on what Ghostyame tweeted.

Madness

All I said was that some of the concerns you guys keep posting for 100 pages are not verifiable. In fact, exactly the opposite is happening in the material we have so far. So basically, all you have as a reaction to that is ... "But, but ... Halo 4, ehm ..., History and ... uhm ... I just want another Halo 2 map pack .[/I]"

I'm not saying Halo 5 will be good. And I'm not saying new things will work. But I also don't take the right to say the opposite. Your glass is half-empty, mine is half-full. That's the story here. Nothing else.

Is that all you think people are saying? "I want another Halo 2 map pack"? Also, of course it's not verifiable, we can't predict the future. It's why I based my thoughts on the past 2 games, and the past 4 years now. If you can't really draw parallels between what we saw in Reach pre-launch and post launch, what we saw in halo 4 pre-launch and post launch, and what we're seeing in Halo 5 pre-launch, I don't know what you want me to say.

I'm literally getting deja vu reading things being posted. Heck, since people brought up Greenskull, go back two years in his tweets, and almost verbatim he was saying the same for Halo 4 how he's talking about Halo 5 now. People didn't become salty as hell towards the WHOLE franchise overnight you know.

Computer

Greenskull is a 343 slurper. His opinion means jack. Pistola and a few other pros said Halo 5 has potential. I think what they mean is it has potential hidden under all the BS just like Halo 4.

TheOddOne

For the sprint nerf to happen you have to be running away. It won't recharge during sprint, example here and here.

It doesn't happen in that video because Greenskull doesn't use the sprint during or to escape battles, but he does overuse the Thruster pack.

Akai__

So your assumption that everyone will use sprint everywhere and it will be awful is based on what exactly?

At least there's some evidence indicating that sprint might not be that big of a problem.

You call that evidence? Videos of some guy who is well known in the community who clearly doesn't have a clue how Halo MP works? He proved it more than once in his videos. I respect Greenskull as someone who does cool stuff for the Halo community, but when it comes to MP, he should let people speak, who know what Halo made Halo.

I'm taking my assumption from experience I had in previous Halo games with Sprint. It's an ability, of course people will use it. People are not nice and will play the way you want them to. But I guess you are okay with Sprint and Halo 4, so I'm talking against a wall here anyways.

This is getting really foolish now. Stop responding if you don't even read. Where did I state that people will not use sprint? Read my sentences in regards to sprint again ...

I read your post dude and I'm pretty sure I can respond to anybody I want.

You said it's not verifiable, which doesn't make any sense. This is ONE person who was invited by 343i in order to provide some footage. Again, his playstyle is no represantation of average Halo players. Just because he decides not do certain things, it doesn't mean people will either. The abilities are there and of course people will use them.

And I made an example with Sprint. Nobody said, that you mentioned it, but it has been brought up in the last coupple of pages and I was trying to make a point. It's called making an example.

-Ryn

Banned
Apparently some are in the belief that because others have been hired from this community, they can be hired too.

Ryn they won't make Halo 5 the way I want it. I'd ultimately believe, based on the past four years, the more they stick to CE/2/3 style gameplay, the more successful they will be with the majority of the fanbase, but that's too be seen. Halo 2 Anniversary was an attempt at giving modern but classic Halo gameplay. There are things I'm sure fans of CE like Funknown and BigShow would change about H2A, or fans of Halo 2 would change about it. But with the utter failure that has been the MCC launch, the fact we only got 6 maps, we can't even see how successful it would have been overall. If H2A launched day one, full suite of maps, with problems. I'd really liked to have seen if people would prefer H5 over it.

It's all a wait and see game now and 343 is brave enough to give us a 3 week beta 11 months in advance. Sure I'm more pessimistic than optimistic, but I'll give Halo 5 an honest shot. 3 weeks to play the hell out of it.
I can respect that dude.

It really bites that the MCC launched the way it did. While I'm sure it will still manage to hold a sizable community (especially after the beta) it would've been really cool to see how it stacked up against Halo 5. Especially with stuff like H2A multiplayer. Maybe if we're lucky they will decide to support it further with some new maps in the future. Though I wouldn't count on it happening any time soon.

Once the beta drops I hope we can get some matches in together. It'll be some good times.

lmao to anyone that thinks kissing ass on a forum will land them a job at a game studio. Showing talent and sincerity has a better chance of it. It's a tough market to get into.

Ryn and jem are the top posters. No wonder it's so slurpy in here.

No disrespect intended, but every post you two make is pretty 343 centric.

Nothing wrong with that, your opinions are your opinions. Maybe just chill with the constant posting a little. Feels like the topics are getting stale already.

Zoojoo and wahrer all over again
I apologize if I come off as kissing ass or whatever. I really don't mean it that way and I wouldn't say something if I didn't genuinely believe it.

I just got tired of the constant spiral of salt and the same dead horse being beaten while ignoring so many things that could maybe point to a brighter future. The thread was getting ridiculously hostile.

The topics certainly have become stale and I too would much rather just move past them. Hell if I had the MCC right now I'd be setting up custom games so we could all hang out.

I just hope they listen to the community and implement an armor-lock feature that automatically activates after ground-pound finishes.
Fo shizzle

Madness

I actually think it's in 343's best interest to add on to the map count of H2A somehow and quickly, whether it's commissioning another set of maps from CA or getting their designers to build faithful Forge recreations. And with how this game launched, they might as well start planning a PC release as well. That way MCC and the classic games and H2A have a wider Halo audience to appeal to. There are a lot of Halo fans that have held out on MCC/XbOne and have a PC. Don't think they're gonna get the console anytime soon now as well.

Halo 5 looks infinitely better than Halo 2 Anniversary plays IMO. Faster kill times? Faster, more fluid movement in general? A weapon sandbox that has more range and consistency than we've seen before without the heavy reliance on aim assist (pending for full judgment on aim assist)? AR/Magnum starts with worthy automatics, precision weapons that are precise, 5sk Magnum off spawn and a quick-killing AR means the weapons you pick up have to be legit, Power-ups returning, maps look more fun than anything in Reach and every small map in Halo 4, an art style that isn't gritty, etc. etc.

In my opinion, those going crazy right now when the Beta is so close and the full game is a year away should wait for the shitstorms until they play it. If this was a case where the game would be releasing a month after the Beta then sure, shitstorm away.. but it's too soon right now and unnecessary. All we're doing is going in circles (Halo fans love circles) and throwing poo at each other.

I've said this before, but I don't want another slow-walking, long kill time, 3 weapon sandbox like Halo 2, Halo 3 and H2A when there are so many weapons that exist. The way I see it is Halo 5 should have been what Halo 3 released as after years of fans wanting faster movement/sprint since Halo 2 and the POWER we seem to be getting from Halo 5's sandbox. Watch me love the Beta only for them to pull the typical nerfs for launch where we look back and say, "Too bad we don't have the Beta Carbine or the Beta Dolphin Gun." That's the one thing I hate about Betas.

TheOddOne

I've noticed that the AR and SMG seem to be based off Halo 4's post-turbo SAW. The rate of fire looks to be the same. Or maybe I'm just crazy.

CliQ

6aEghOT.jpg

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Just wanted to remind everyone that tonight is the MCC Throwdown.

Heading back to a classic this week! If you would like to play in this week's match send me a PM with your GT (if I don't have it already) so I can add you to the list.

If you want to know what the MCC Throwdown is all about then take peek at this.

See you on the battlefield!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom