• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RowdyReverb

I hope this isn't sacrilege, but I think H2C is my least favorite MP in the collection, at least for BTB. I thought it would be one of my favorites, but now I always groan when 1 flag on Relic or SMG slayer on Zanzibar gets picked. I'm not sure if it's due to mechanics or maps, because I like H2A just fine. It doesn't help that it's the game I'm worst at online, so maybe I'm just missing something. Am I alone in this?

Ramirez

I hope this isn't sacrilege, but I think H2C is my least favorite MP in the collection, at least for BTB. I thought it would be one of my favorites, but now I always groan when 1 flag on Relic or SMG slayer on Zanzibar gets picked. I'm not sure if it's due to mechanics or maps, because I like H2A just fine. It doesn't help that it's the game I'm worst at online, so maybe I'm just missing something. Am I alone in this?

No, it's a good MP game, but to me, completely pales in comparison to 3. I'd prefer CE over it too, but it's so hit and miss I can't even discuss it seriously.

Madness

I have a feeling not everyone wants to play halo 2 for every subsequent halo game.

I certainly don't. What I don't want is fundamental changes to Halo gameplay. Think about this, aside from slight changes to jump/movement, fall damage/health, the big difference in gameplay between Halo CE, Halo 2, and Halo 3 is dual wielding or added equipment. That's it. The rest were changes in weapons, vehicles, aim assist, strafe speed, movement, gameplay modes etc.

Now we've gone from Reach where we got assassinations and armor abilities including sprint/jetpack/armor lock, to Halo 4 where we got universal sprint, friendly fire off, instant respawn, killcams, loadouts, perks, join in progress, global map ordnance, personal ordnance, different armor abilities, to now Halo 5 where we're getting universal thruster pack, universal sprint, universal ledge climbing/clamber, universal ground and pound, universal frontal/behind Dash/Charge Slam, Aim Down Sights/Smart Scope, two primary weapons, plus we don't even know what they have planned for Big Team Battle.

So you can see why fans of the earlier games want more of what they got, than what they've been getting the past four years. Once Halo 5 releases, we'll basically have had as much radically changed mainline Halo than classic mainline full release Halo.

SMG starts are about as stupid as protesting the Michael Brown Ferguson shooting.

SMG starts are criminal and we shouldn't sympathize with criminals.

the police officer should have been given BR starts.

Booshka

Online connection is required to verify with XBL, but gameplay is over LAN for tournaments.

I hope the Online Connection part of this is removed soon. 360 would ping limit LAN to 30 trying to block XBC and Xlink Kai. The Gold Required account to run a LAN is the next level of bullshit that makes LAN play a pain in the ass.

Madness

SMG starts are about as stupid as protesting the Michael Brown Ferguson shooting.

SMG starts are criminal and we shouldn't sympathize with criminals.

the police officer should have been given BR starts.

891.gif

Uhhh...

Ghazi

I hope the Online Connection part of this is removed soon. 360 would ping limit LAN to 30 trying to block XBC and Xlink Kai. The Gold Required account to run a LAN is the next level of bullshit that makes LAN play a pain in the ass.

letHELZ.jpg

But they have to check your privilege.

-Ryn

Banned
Assuming everything 343 have said is true and based off the gameplay we've seen so far, I think that Halo 5 is everything a Halo sequel should be. It's taking the gameplay of the original and using it as a jumping off point to explore new ideas that compliment the core game. While there are some debatable additions such as sprint and ADS, the overall picture looks solid. Again this is assuming that we aren't missing anything and that 343 is being straight up.

It's going to take a while, but there's no way they leave this game broken.

Assuming everything 343 have said is true and based off the gameplay we've seen so far, I think that Halo 5 is everything a Halo sequel should be. It's taking the gameplay of the original and using it as a jumping off point to explore new ideas that compliment the core game. While there are some debatable additions such as sprint and ADS, the overall picture looks solid. Again this is assuming that we aren't missing anything and that 343 is being straight up.

Does anyone trust what they say now? LOL you mean some of you STILL HAVE HOPE?

-Ryn

Banned
Does anyone trust what they say now? LOL you mean some of you STILL HAVE HOPE?
*sigh*

We've gone over this countless times now so I'll make this short.

Yes. I have hope. Because they have done a lot of good things since Halo 4. Bad launch of the MCC aside. I could give you a long list.

Playing with dynamite with that comparison

*sigh*

Yes. I have hope. Because they have done a lot of good things since Halo 4. Bad launch of the MCC aside. I could give you a long list.

Playing with dynamite with that comparison

Dude, Fixing their own mistakes does not make "doing a lot of good things". they are rectifying the mistakes THEY made. by ignoring all communities and going on a vacation after the game released and having a barebones sustain team.

*sigh*

Playing with dynamite with that analogy there

I'm just personally questioning the intellectual integrity of being optimistic at this point. You can say they have done good things but a lot of those things have yet to be seen yet.

Best thing they have made lately is the documentary. Haha

RowdyReverb

*enemy team has acquired power weapon*

The whole thing needs to go away. It's completely pointless.

It's to allow for strategy and map control in spite of the decline in microphone use in recent years. These are elements that make Halo fun to play. Auto call outs aren't pointless, they're a way of preserving that gameplay in the unfortunate reality of online gaming.

-Ryn

Banned
Dude, Fixing their own mistakes does not make "doing a lot of good things". they are rectifying the mistakes THEY made. by ignoring all communities and going on a vacation after the game released and having a barebones sustain team.
It shows that they've learned and are applying it to their games. They've been working on Halo 5 since Halo 4 launched. I wasn't just talking about them fixing Halo 4 either. What we've seen and heard about Halo 5 shows they are continuing to listen and improve. You can cherry pick and say how they put in sprint or a mostly aesthetic ADS therefore they didn't listen. However if you look at the big picture, Halo 5 is looking to be a really solid game.

I'm just personally questioning the intellectual integrity of being optimistic at this point. You can say they have done good things but a lot of those things have yet to be seen yet.

Best thing they have made lately is the documentary. Haha
Just because I'm not steeped in salt doesn't mean I or anyone else is an idiot.
Despite my enthusiasm I am still aware that there could be some major bullshit going on. However from what I've SEEN, I think it looks good. I don't see any point in thinking they are just lying to us. It doesn't make me any happier and it certainly won't change anything. So I'd rather try and be optimistic and hope for the best.

CliQ

Wanted to thank everyone who joined up for the MCC Throwdown this week. I learned that Halo 2 is not as fun as I remember it being. Hopefully we get some great forge maps to use.

I'll try to have a video up tomorrow. If not then later this week.

Wanted to thank everyone who joined up for the MCC Throwdown this week. I learned that Halo 2 is not as fun as I remember it being. Hopefully we get some great forge maps to use.

Scrub confirmed.

;)

I think the only reason the Halo 2 match sucked was because of the horribly unbalanced teams. I mean I had fun, but then again I went +26 that game so...

GGs all around.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Not that I didn't do well because we destroyed the other team. At the end of the game people were just like "yeah that wasn't fun"

I was getting a lot of the host advantage aiming situations that we experienced in CE during that first game. That seemed less prevalent with the H2A matches.

Also the teams were horribly unbalanced skill wise.

I think the only reason the Halo 2 match sucked was because of the horribly unbalanced teams. I mean I had fun, but then again I went +26 that game so...

GGs all around.

You assassinated me more times than I can remember. H2C footsteps are made by mice.

DJ Gunner

Not that I didn't do well because we destroyed the other team. At the end of the game people were just like "yeah that wasn't fun"

Sorry I didn't make it for that game, but yeah- unbalanced teams don't make for a fun time. With a new group of folks playing together it's tough to manage and predict how it will go. The group Ive played with for over ten years consists of wildly different levels of skill and it becomes a bit of an art to make the games competitive- but when it happens, it is glorious.

GGs tonight, I greatly enjoyed the last two games I got to play with you all.

Ramirez

The sound is pretty poor even with headphones in 2, and 3's directions are completely off, sad times.

Breakout is lame, and I can't believe they're pushing Elimination as some type of new game mode, lol. That mode is far more of a push towards CoD than any of the other additions, IMO.

BradC00

is there a secret to the br? im pretty bad with it. pretty much when from CE -> 4 with some Reach in between so it was basically pistol to DMR for me. (also really mad that ive played about 15 matches of H2A and not one has been balanced player wise)

HTupolev

The sound is pretty poor even with headphones in 2, and 3's directions are completely off, sad times.
Issues with Halo 3's audio aren't just directions. A lot of the filtering is messed up and/or missing. The game would have sound issues compared with the original even putting both over mono.

I'm curious as to what happened. It's like they had to completely reconstruct Halo 3's sound system for some reason, but didn't finish the job.

-Ryn

Banned
is there a secret to the br? im pretty bad with it. pretty much when from CE -> 4 with some Reach in between so it was basically pistol to DMR for me. (also really mad that ive played about 15 matches of H2A and not one has been balanced player wise)
Depends on the game. The Halo 3 BR required you to aim ahead of your enemies a bit.

The general strategy is focusing on body shots and then on the killing shot sweep up to their head so the the last bullet or two of the burst nails them. The BR is hitscan in H2, H2A, and H4 so it's a bit easier to use.

--

So it seems I am terrible at Starcraft II. Got my ass whooped by the computer on easy...

FyreWulff

Issues with Halo 3's audio aren't just directions. A lot of the filtering is messed up and/or missing. The game would have sound issues compared with the original even putting both over mono.

I'm curious as to what happened. It's like they had to completely reconstruct Halo 3's sound system for some reason, but didn't finish the job.

360 sound was all on CPU, Xbox One has dedicated hardware for it, so they can't exactly do it 1:1 to the original game.

This happened with Halo 2 as well. Halo 2 PC's "radio" filter was barely there compared to the original Xbox version. I imagine this change persists in H2A. The inconsistencies between hardware just results in stuff like that sometimes. But completely different directions wouldn't be a cause of that.

darthbob

360 sound was all on CPU, Xbox One has dedicated hardware for it, so they can't exactly do it 1:1 to the original game.

This happened with Halo 2 as well. Halo 2 PC's "radio" filter was barely there compared to the original Xbox version. I imagine this change persists in H2A. The inconsistencies between hardware just results in stuff like that sometimes. But completely different directions wouldn't be a cause of that.

IIRC the OG Xbox's audio chip was incredibly advanced for it's time. Also heard that it was nigh impossible to replicate via software.

FyreWulff

IIRC the OG Xbox's audio chip was incredibly advanced for it's time. Also heard that it was nigh impossible to replicate via software.

Yep. It was so silly how you had to do audio on CPU on 360 and I believe, PS3 (never did anything with that). That's the same mistake the N64 made.

It's sort of the same thing with the GameCube and some graphical effects/fidelity missing from ports to other platforms. The GameCube, Xbox, and PS2 all had super cool specialized hardware in them that is too much of a hassle or impossible to replicate. In the era of the programmable shader, console hardware is becoming more and more commodotized.

Also obligatory Fuck Creative for setting sound hardware back 20 years with their bullshit.

Omni

One day I'm gonna get home, have dinner, load up the MCC and be able to play some big team battle without waiting hours for a match

But not yet... not yet.

gladiator-quotes-19.jpg

I don't know why I keep trying. Back to Unity I guess

Madness

It's crazy, I thought honestly we'd be talking non-stop about the matches we were having, showing off great clips and gameplay, talking about weapons, modes, and just general Halo gameplay. That's what made this place really great. And yet, most of the posts are just disappointment with how broken/bad the game plays. Talking about glitches, bugs, uneven teams, party troubles, errors etc.

Omni

Is unity fixed yet?

Surprisingly I haven't ran into a single problem. They had a 300+ fix patch the other day and it seems to have worked

Frame rate is a little wonky in some areas (especially in co-op apparently. Haven't tried it myself). But I think in general people have overblown that issue a little. Game is completely playable in its current state. Best AC since number 2, IMO.

-Ryn

Banned
It's crazy, I thought honestly we'd be talking non-stop about the matches we were having, showing off great clips and gameplay, talking about weapons, modes, and just general Halo gameplay. That's what made this place really great. And yet, most of the posts are just disappointment with how broken/bad the game plays. Talking about glitches, bugs, uneven teams, party troubles, errors etc.
It's a major bummer.
All Halo 5 talk aside, I really hope they get the game fixed soon. Like you said people were genuinely excited for this game and I think it's just further proof that Halo is still relevant. I mean there's been a ton of hype around this game from both Halo fans and people who haven't even played the games. The sooner it's fixed the better. It's not just a matter of nostalgia. It's a second chance for everyone to play the games that helped to define a generation. Only now they're even better than they were before.

It'd suck to see all of that potential wasted.

Akai__

Was watching a little bit of the Halo Gfinity tournament. Map pool is really disappointing. Throw some Forge maps in there please. :/

Surprisingly I haven't ran into a single problem. They had a 300+ fix patch the other day and it seems to have worked

Frame rate is a little wonky in some areas (especially in co-op apparently. Haven't tried it myself). But I think in general people have overblown that issue a little. Game is completely playable in its current state. Best AC since number 2, IMO.

Those issues were really not that much noticeable on the Xbox One. The other platforms had some serious issues. I got the game on release day and have run into some frame drops and some heavy lag in co-op. Free-running can be wonky at times, but once you get used to it it's okay. Other than that the game is really cool and it's in my top 3 of AC games. I really like the changes to the combat, because it's actually challenging and you can die very often, if you aren't careful.
Only thing I really don't like is the amount of red chests. I really hate lockpicking stuff.

Really solid game and not even comparable to MCC issues.

I added you to my FL by the way randomrosso.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom