• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
I haven't played Unity yet so I can't be sure, but I don't know if anything can top EPIC PIRATE ADVENTURE YO HO HO AND A BOTTLE O' RUM Flag. Getting into massive battles against ships much higher than you and winning because of creative and quick thinking was so cool. Then the badass battles to be had from boarding said ships just make what's already wicked cool into something totally radical. I also learned some pirate songs from the game so bonus points.

Akai__

I haven't played Unity yet so I can't be sure, but I don't know if anything can top EPIC PIRATE ADVENTURE YO HO HO AND A BOTTLE O' RUM Flag. Getting into massive battles against ships much higher than you and winning because of creative and quick thinking was so cool. Then the badass battles to be had from boarding said ships just make what's already wicked cool into something totally radical. I also learned some pirate songs from the game so bonus points.

I really liked that game, but it really wasn't an Assassins Creed game for me. It could have been a random pirate game under an other name and nobody would have noticed it. I spent so much time in that game just sailing and having fights, playing the mini game mode and exlporing things. A crazy good game.

Overdoziz

Banned
I forgot how terrible Prometheans were as enemies. Also apparently camo just straight-up doesn't do anything in campaign. At least not on Legendary.

Woorloog

Banned
I forgot how terrible Prometheans were as enemies. Also apparently camo just straight-up doesn't do anything in campaign. At least not on Legendary.

Camo never worked in Reach either. Properly anyway, just about the only time it works (in either game) is when you sneak relatively far away from enemies AND you engaged the camo before exiting cover. Using it is not worth the effort, get something else as soon as you can.

Pop

One day I'm gonna get home, have dinner, load up the MCC and be able to play some big team battle without waiting hours for a match

But not yet... not yet.

gladiator-quotes-19.jpg

I don't know why I keep trying. Back to Unity I guess

BTB been taking me 2-3 mins to find matches since the last patch.

0___0

CliQ

Ok so I have some good footage of the one flag game we played last night but I need other people's perspective! Post some of your clips so I can add them in. This week's video is probably going to be shorter and more to the point.

Welfare

Ok so I have some good footage of the one flag game we played last night but I need other people's perspective! Post some of your clips so I can add them in. This week's video is probably going to be shorter and more to the point.
Stonetown right? I'll see if I have some clips.

Woorloog

Banned
Camo works in Halo 2 and 3 I thought.

In those, and Halo CE, it works perfectly, even on Legendary. But in Reach and Halo 4, camo is practically useless, outside some niche cases (it is actually easier to use in Halo 4 now that i think of this but it is not still useful).

Tried to have a Halo party last night, no LAN option. Couldn't even join each other most of the time so we just played Halo CE 4 player split screen. It was fun, but it still put a damper on the whole thing because we had to separate into 2 groups of 4 with some stragglers.

Why, 343, whyyyyyy

I've got a few clips. Check my xboxclips page if you want them. They're also just on my profile. Should be some of the most recent clips.

Celestia

343 should have just made The Lockout Collection. The disc has nothing but Lockout and its remakes, and costs $60 because that's all anyone seemingly wants to play.

HTupolev

360 sound was all on CPU, Xbox One has dedicated hardware for it, so they can't exactly do it 1:1 to the original game.
Well, maybe. Even if the dedicated hardware supports a wide variety of filtering options, it's likely possible to filter on CPU and hand off the results to audio output. Of course even this would have required some amount of porting, and although the Jaguar should be more capable than Xenon in just about every way, it's possible there's not a lot of headroom with Halo 3 at 60fps.

At any rate, overall the XB1 probably has the resources to do better, and obviously some things were just plain done incorrectly.

I suppose the answers probably aren't actually much more interesting than "we ran out of time."

Yep. It was so silly how you had to do audio on CPU on 360 and I believe, PS3 (never did anything with that).
It did definitely have its drawbacks, although at some level it's not really that silly. Audio was becoming a relatively small part of the overall computational grunt of most games, and it's always nice to avoid extra system complexity. Using a CPU with unusually high performance in vector math might have looked like a perfectly good compromise, especially if you were planning to leverage that on other things.

Given its CPU/GPU configuration, it was natural for the PS3 to lack an audio processor, as those SPEs are well-suited to audio and aren't even pretending to "normal" CPU cores. Xenon isn't so extreme, but in some ways its performance characteristics are skewed in the same direction as CELL's.

I don't mind seeing significant die space dedicated to audio hardware, though, as that puts something of a bound on how harshly devs will compromise on audio processing.

It's sort of the same thing with the GameCube and some graphical effects/fidelity missing from ports to other platforms. The GameCube, Xbox, and PS2 all had super cool specialized hardware in them that is too much of a hassle or impossible to replicate.
They were made in an era when graphics hardware was still evolving very rapidly, but showed up late enough that their complexity makes them a pain in the ass to fake.

Also obligatory Fuck Creative for setting sound hardware back 20 years with their bullshit.
Indeed.

In those, and Halo CE, it works perfectly, even on Legendary. But in Reach and Halo 4, camo is practically useless, outside some niche cases (it is actually easier to use in Halo 4 now that i think of this but it is not still useful).
I think they tried to make it more nuanced and interesting. But, especially because it's sort of hard to communicate the weaker mechanic to the player, it winds up opaque and underpowered.

Fuchsdh

360 sound was all on CPU, Xbox One has dedicated hardware for it, so they can't exactly do it 1:1 to the original game.

This happened with Halo 2 as well. Halo 2 PC's "radio" filter was barely there compared to the original Xbox version. I imagine this change persists in H2A. The inconsistencies between hardware just results in stuff like that sometimes. But completely different directions wouldn't be a cause of that.

I'm really happy they toned down the radio in H2A--ironically the filtering on Cortana when she's "in" Chief's head is a lot better done than the excessive EQ they do to her and Steitzer in Halo 4.

willow ve

Tried to have a Halo party last night, no LAN option. Couldn't even join each other most of the time so we just played Halo CE 4 player split screen. It was fun, but it still put a damper on the whole thing because we had to separate into 2 groups of 4 with some stragglers.

Why, 343, whyyyyyy

click on stream, "oh we had a box issue"

Game doesn't even work on LAN brehs
This is how the world ends.

-Ryn

Banned
Week three highlights are almost done. Some exciting stuff in the video!
I are excite

I really liked that game, but it really wasn't an Assassins Creed game for me. It could have been a random pirate game under an other name and nobody would have noticed it. I spent so much time in that game just sailing and having fights, playing the mini game mode and exlporing things. A crazy good game.
Definitely agree. I didn't really care too much about the story they were trying to do for the assassins and what not. It would've easily worked if it was its own thing.

Anyone up for helping me test an H2AMP Slayer variant tonight? Works with FFA or teams, but 4v4 would be ideal. I currently only have the launch maps to work with so Ascension, Lockout, Sanc and Zanzibar will probably be best for it. Current setup is:

- SMG Suppress / Survivor Mag / 1x frag starts
- 90% damage resistance, 110% damage, 90% melee damage, quicker shield rate and wait
- 180% movement speed, 200% gravity, 150% jump height, 90% fall damage
- Allies only motion tracker at 40m
- Kills are worth 5 (1) point, Assists worth 1 (0.2), Spree kills worth 1 (0.2)
- 180 points to win in FFA, 350 in team games
- 4 secs to respawn, 3 sec suicide penalty, 7 sec betrayal penalty

I'm actually going to make some maps for it once it gets playtested and refined a bit, but it paves the way for a more fast-paced arena environment. You're pretty much required to use both starting weapons to effectively take down shields and save your Survivor Mag ammo for headshots, where it counts. It also implores you to be quick in finding better headshot-capable weapons on map. The modified movement settings also mean your jump is more of a lunge or vault, heavily dependent on momentum to get any distance out of it. Jumping at a standstill gives you more of a "shorthop" effect.

Is it possible to disable dual-wielding in H2AMP?

Karl2177

Anyone up for helping me test an H2AMP Slayer variant tonight? Works with FFA or teams, but 4v4 would be ideal. I currently only have the launch maps to work with so Ascension, Lockout, Sanc and Zanzibar will probably be best for it. Current setup is:

- 90% damage resistance, 110% damage, 90% melee damage, quicker shield rate and wait

I'm actually going to make some maps for it once it gets playtested and refined a bit, but it paves the way for a more fast-paced arena environment. You're pretty much required to use both starting weapons to effectively take down shields and save your Survivor Mag ammo for headshots, where it counts. It also implores you to be quick in finding better headshot-capable weapons on map. The modified movement settings also mean your jump is more of a lunge or vault, heavily dependent on momentum to get any distance out of it. Jumping at a standstill gives you more of a "shorthop" effect.

I'm interested. Send an invite whenever you do it.

Gungoose CTF is an automatic dashboard quit for me, not interested 343.
Now think about people who don't like most of what Matchmaking playlists have to offer, think about what they do with their Halo games.. Barely even touching the game because people vote for SMG/AR starts too much and I can't play what I want, when I want, so no point in trying for 20374234 hours, resulting in me not even putting the game on. Then people complain about others not playing, quitting out of matches, etc., when the real problem has always been this.

We need a Custom Games Browser.

CliQ

So for next week's MCC Throwdown i'm not sure what to pick so I made a poll for everyone to vote on what they would like to play.

VOTE HERE

I will look at the results some time tonight and the winner will be next weeks match! Choose wisely! Even if you can't make it cast a vote to help decide!

Ramirez

I think it's actually kinda fun

Not something I wanna play all the time. But it's just crazy fun with friends. /shrugs

I mean if you like it, whatever, but to me it's the equivalent of Grifball being in a 4v4 playlist. I can't even get a legit Objective playlist, but this shit gets pushed on to me in BTB, a party/fringe gametype, meh.

Doesn't matter anyways, I just tried searching for 30 mins while on my phone dicking around and couldn't get a match in any list. This game is such a god damn disgrace.

Booshka

I mean if you like it, whatever, but to me it's the equivalent of Grifball being in a 4v4 playlist. I can't even get a legit Objective playlist, but this shit gets pushed on to me in BTB, a party/fringe gametype, meh.

Doesn't matter anyways, I just tried searching for 30 mins while on my phone dicking around and couldn't get a match in any list. This game is such a god damn disgrace.

Did you #QuitTheBuild between searches?

-Ryn

Banned
I wonder if the next update will work out some of the campaign issues. Though emphasis should probably stay on Matchmaking since that seems to be where most problems lie.

I miss Halo.

I see a beautiful city.... and a brilliant people, rising from this abyss..... I see the lives, for which I lay down my life - peaceful, useful, prosperous and happy..... I see that I hold a sanctuary in their hearts, and in the hearts of their descendants, generations hence..... It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

RIP

belushy

Banned

Don't have the game so post some vids please...I wanna see it in action.

Ramirez

I wonder if the next update will work out some of the campaign issues. Though emphasis should probably stay on Matchmaking since that seems to be where most problems lie.

Campaign fixes shouldn't even be whispered about until MP functions at full capacity. Ive done every campaign on Legendary, but I have played in less than 15 matches with a group of friends.

As dumb as it is, if you don't get a match within about 5 minutes you should quit the game and try again. After about that 6-minute mark it's never going to get any farther.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom