• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
360 sound was all on CPU, Xbox One has dedicated hardware for it, so they can't exactly do it 1:1 to the original game.

This happened with Halo 2 as well. Halo 2 PC's "radio" filter was barely there compared to the original Xbox version. I imagine this change persists in H2A. The inconsistencies between hardware just results in stuff like that sometimes. But completely different directions wouldn't be a cause of that.

Well, maybe. Even if the dedicated hardware supports a wide variety of filtering options, it's likely possible to filter on CPU and hand off the results to audio output. Of course even this would have required some amount of porting, and although the Jaguar should be more capable than Xenon in just about every way, it's possible there's not a lot of headroom with Halo 3 at 60fps.

At any rate, overall the XB1 probably has the resources to do better, and obviously some things were just plain done incorrectly.

I suppose the answers probably aren't actually much more interesting than "we ran out of time."

So what's the likely outcome here? The botched audio on H3 is a HUGE issue that just cannot be left unattended. The way people are talking about the MCC of late, it sounds like many expect it to be patched to its most minimally functional state then be left by 343, a terrible nightmare to be put to the back of their mind while they stride to a new day with Halo 5. I know 343 are working 'round the clock' on the bugs but someone high up needs to come out real soon with a comprehensive statement assuaging the above fears because MCC looks so deep in the hole right now with the amount of bugs, it's looking pretty bleak. I'll say now, if MCC isn't properly cared for then I'll be cutting my losses on the Xbox One. I only bought the damn thing for the MCC on dedicated servers. I don't like the pad, the One UI is a laggy, sluggish labyrinth, twitch app is notoriously unreliable, party chat is buggy. Sprint and ADS Halo 5 sure aint gonna be enough to keep me around.

Doesn't matter anyways, I just tried searching for 30 mins while on my phone dicking around and couldn't get a match in any list. This game is such a god damn disgrace.

Sounds like me, I've restarted, quit, disconnected power brick and I literally can't find a matchmade game in any playlist...SINCE LAUNCH. I'm just playing GTAV and a little bit of Destiny these days. I can't even enjoy MCC customs because they're a nightmare to arrange and stay in too.

belushy

Banned
December 9th beta like the rumor... fuck now I need an Xbone even faster....

It would be neat if they released an "early beta" that was just the build from Halofest (so just 3 maps instead of 7) and update it as other maps get finished.

edit: I agree with Ram though, probably not gonna happen. Not sure what else they could give other then H2A map pack.

FyreWulff

So what's the likely outcome here? The botched audio on H3 is a HUGE issue that just cannot be left unattended. The way people are talking about the MCC of late, it sounds like many expect it to be patched to its most minimally functional state then be left by 343, a terrible nightmare to be put to the back of their mind while they stride to a new day with Halo 5. I know 343 are working 'round the clock' on the bugs but someone high up needs to come out real soon with a comprehensive statement assuaging the above fears because MCC looks so deep in the hole right now with the amount of bugs, it's looking pretty bleak. I'll say now, if MCC isn't properly cared for then I'll be cutting my losses on the Xbox One. I only bought the damn thing for the MCC on dedicated servers. I don't like the pad, the One UI is a laggy, sluggish labyrinth, twitch app is notoriously unreliable, party chat is buggy. Sprint and ADS Halo 5 sure aint gonna be enough to keep me around.

The sound issue should be fixable.

Anyone up for helping me test an H2AMP Slayer variant tonight? Works with FFA or teams, but 4v4 would be ideal. I currently only have the launch maps to work with so Ascension, Lockout, Sanc and Zanzibar will probably be best for it. Current setup is:

- SMG Suppress / Survivor Mag / 1x frag starts
- 90% damage resistance, 110% damage, 90% melee damage, quicker shield rate and wait
- 180% movement speed, 200% gravity, 150% jump height, 90% fall damage
- Allies only motion tracker at 40m
- Kills are worth 5 (1) point, Assists worth 1 (0.2), Spree kills worth 1 (0.2)
- 180 points to win in FFA, 350 in team games
- 4 secs to respawn, 3 sec suicide penalty, 7 sec betrayal penalty

I'm actually going to make some maps for it once it gets playtested and refined a bit, but it paves the way for a more fast-paced arena environment. You're pretty much required to use both starting weapons to effectively take down shields and save your Survivor Mag ammo for headshots, where it counts. It also implores you to be quick in finding better headshot-capable weapons on map. The modified movement settings also mean your jump is more of a lunge or vault, heavily dependent on momentum to get any distance out of it. Jumping at a standstill gives you more of a "shorthop" effect.

Is it possible to disable dual-wielding in H2AMP?

Yeap okay. Just send me a message.

HTupolev

The sound issue should be fixable.
"Should," yes, but what sort of likelihoods are we talking about?

The surround directionality is enough of blatant "bug" that I'd guess it has a decent shot at getting fixed. It's also the sort of issue that might be as simple as mixed-up sound channels.

Fixing the poor mixing and filtering would be improving good-port-ishness of a port, which is out of character for most game studios. And it might be a more involved fix, since they could wind up having to significantly change the core methodology of the sound system. I'd be surprised if this ever gets dealt with.

belushy

Banned
I'm guessing this means more halo 5 beta reveals. The beta is just a month away and there is still 4 maps and a gametype to reveal. Maybe we'll also find out what we'll be getting for the MCC mishaps.

Good point, could be map reveal. That forunner overgrown map looks really sweet.

Also I was thinking of this yesterday, ntkrnl mentioned that the beta would have two forge maps. We now know that Crossfire is a forge map, so I'm thinking one of the 7 maps is just an extra variant of Crossfire (which you can see during the Beta vidoc.)

klodeckel

Banned
My guess is the patch that fixes MM not only for soloplay, but also for parties :) And / or rank fixes.

Oh - and there is also The Game Awards on Friday. Maybe some more from Halo 5 Beta there? Like more map reveals or so ...

FyreWulff

"Should," yes, but what sort of likelihoods are we talking about?

The surround directionality is enough of blatant "bug" that I'd guess it has a decent shot at getting fixed. It's also the sort of issue that might be as simple as mixed-up sound channels.

Fixing the poor mixing and filtering would be improving good-port-ishness of a port, which is out of character for most game studios. And it might be a more involved fix, since they could wind up having to significantly change the core methodology of the sound system. I'd be surprised if this ever gets dealt with.

I wouldn't even know at this point. If Microsoft wants to not lose customers, though, they should fix every bug introduced by the MCC.

If you can't offer at least the basic experience of the original release, you're not really justifying the existence of the new one.

scitek

Been replaying Halo: CE on PC. Some screens.

halo_2014_11_27_11_46lkflk.png

halo_2014_11_26_23_21c0i2n.png

Madness

Spartan Ops was scheduled to come in December, maybe they've rolled another large content update patch in with it.

I would like to say it's more Forge maps for H2A, ranks, CE and other playlists returning, but the game is barely functioning for MP, so I don't really know. Hard to get excited for the beta.

Akai__

All these wannabe leakers that have been showing up since ntkrnl are a joke.

Him posting in morse code was pure comedy...

Ramirez

In what universe does SpOps equate to a good week?

That drive by hinting shit is bannable, and one of the few times I would go out of my way to get a mod in here. This game is in an absolutely deplorable state, and hinting at anything adds nothing.

And just because they have a stable build at Halofest doesn't mean it's ready to be downloaded by millions of people, think people!!

Ghazi

That drive by hinting shit is bannable, and one of the few times I would go out of my way to get a mod in here. This game is in an absolutely deplorable state, and hinting at anything adds nothing.

And just because they have a stable build at Halofest doesn't mean it's ready to be downloaded by millions of people, think people!!

To be fair, MCC build didn't work during the other tourney, so H5 working is a good sign.

Welfare

Oh yeah Spartan Ops is coming.

Maybe with a Season 2 that leads into Halo 5?

Nah.

belushy

Banned
A map pack for a game which still doesn't work?

Why not both? Give us the Halo 5 beta early to give us something to play, then whilst we are all ignoring the MCC they can fix it then give us a free map pack.

If it was a free map pack, it would probably be a little while before it is even released. So I'd assume (and hope) that the game is fixed by then.

Gimme Containment remake 343.

I dont want H5 beta early. I want a free H2A map pack.

I think even expecting 1 free map is unlikely, but if we were getting a map pack, I'd like:

Waterworks
Burial Mounds (begging for a graphics overhaul)
...and Sidewinder. (Pull a H1A-Headlong)

Really I just want a version of Sidewinder to be in every Halo game ever. I'm not solid on Burial Mounds, maybe swap it for Containment
or Backwash >:)
Hell if they gave me H2A Sidewinder based on H1PC version for free and put it in the BTB playlist, I'd be forced to forgive them for every problem in the MCC. I'd have no choice.

OT, but if you guys are looking for a decent free Start Menu replacement on Windows 8, check out Start Menu 8. It has a clean look to it with loads of options, and on top of that it has the easiest method to creating custom start button icons I've ever seen.

3qWZC2f.png

Oh, and would you guys be down for a weekly HaloGAF Playtest sesh early evening on Sundays? While game nights are probably going to be more tried-and-true maps and gametypes, this would be a smaller-scale, more personal sort of playdate that probably wouldn't last as long as an outright game night. It'd just be an hour or two most of the time for forgers / gametypists to test out their stuff and get feedback rather than hijack actual game nights with "hey guys can we test my instakill random weapon 300% speed regen grenades 4x overshield starts on sandtrap 16 player FFA oddball game?" stuff.

belushy

Banned
I think even expecting 1 free map is unlikely, but if we were getting a map pack, I'd like:

Waterworks
Burial Mounds (begging for a graphics overhaul)
...and Sidewinder. (Pull a H1A-Headlong)

Really I just want a version of Sidewinder to be in every Halo game ever. I'm not solid on Burial Mounds, maybe swap it for Containment
or Backwash >:)

Fuck so hard to choose just three maps from Halo 2. I want to see every single one with a graphical upgrade...

Madness

I don't see how it can be a map pack. It takes several months for maps to be created, tested, integrated from greenlight. If we do get maps, and they're not Forge versions, it means that CA was already working on them or had them in least some sort of unfinished state but went with the 6 launch maps instead.

It's only been about 19 days from launch. I'd be fine with their map designers going to town in Forge, creating accurate and faithful recreations. Who knows though. I'm not really expecting anything at all.

If it is Spartan Ops, I have a feeling we might get additional cinematics. Would make sense that now they know where they want to take the story, to throw in a little something else maybe, beyond the Halsey, Janus key, Jul Mdama stuff.

CliQ

f48TPfm.jpg

Your votes have been counted and next Saturday we will be in Halo 3! Multiflag CTF on Avalanche will be center stage.

I should have my new capture card by then and hopefully will have some beautiful 1080p 60fps footage to show off! If you want to play in this weeks match send me a PM with your GT or add me on XBL (GT - xCliQuEx). I'm starting to get a feel for making teams balanced so this weekend should be really close!

In case you missed it here are the highlights from this past weekend.

See you on the battlefield!

Welfare

f48TPfm.jpg

Your votes have been counted and next Saturday we will be in Halo 3! Multiflag CTF on Avalanche will be center stage.

I should have my new capture card by then and hopefully will have some beautiful 1080p 60fps footage to show off! If you want to play in this weeks match send me a PM with your GT or add me on XBL (GT - xCliQuEx). I'm starting to get a feel for making teams balanced so this weekend should be really close!

In case you missed it here are the highlights from this past weekend.

See you on the battlefield!
Hell yaw!

01db3EO.gif

Likewise, this is a reminder that I'll be hosting some brief Slayer-variant customs for testing purposes in 30 minutes. That's 6PM PST, 8PM CST, 9PM EST. Looking for 8 total players for 4v4 team matches, with FFA as interim between full parties. Current peeps interested:

- karl
- funknown
- pringlez eugenics

So we need another full team of players, basically.

Ramirez

01db3EO.gif

Likewise, this is a reminder that I'll be hosting some brief Slayer-variant customs for testing purposes in 30 minutes. That's 6PM PST, 8PM CST, 9PM EST. Looking for 8 total players for 4v4 team matches, with FFA as interim between full parties. Current peeps interested:

- karl
- funknown
- pringlez eugenics

So we need another full team of players, basically.

I can't play, but if you all could try my map for multi flag Id appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom