• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a giant fucking waste of time.

"good week coming!"

Gtfo. Like we're supposed to be hype about maybe a patch fixing that mess of a game.

Whatever it is "coming" this week, unless it's a working version of MCC you can keep it.

Yeah I don't know who that guy is but it seems super crass to try and generate any guerilla leak hype at this time. They should be ashamed to even speak of H5 all the while MCC is a mess. If he's alluding to MCC content and/or fixes, just be transparent. I've already paid full price for the game; tell me what the fuck is going on.

Netprints

If he's alluding to MCC content and/or fixes, just be transparent. I've already paid full price for the game; tell me what the fuck is going on.
Yeah. I don't understand the lack of communication. When the last patch went live there was no information on it. It just appeared. It would be nice to hear something.

Welfare

It would be interesting to see the population for this collection. I wonder how much it has dropped off. I imagine a lot :3

If 343 really wanted to show us (at the very least, me) that they know they fucked up, give us a population counter.

I bet part of the reason matchmaking is having long search times is that the population is actually low, barring holiday copies.

And even without the issues, why is there no pop counter? The fuck. I want to know how many people are in a playlist. IDGAF if your MM "works", I want to know from the get go if I should waste my time searching a playlist.

willow ve

If 343 really wanted to show us (at the very least, me) that they know they fucked up, give us a population counter.

I bet part of the reason matchmaking is having long search times is that the population is actually low, barring holiday copies.

And even without the issues, why is there no pop counter? The fuck. I want to know how many people are in a playlist. IDGAF if your MM "works", I want to know from the get go if I should waste my time searching a playlist.

LOL - they're never putting a population counter in their games ever again. There's even a whole conspiracy that Major Nelson stopped posting "top games on Xbox Live" after Halo 4 basically fell off the list
yeah - I don't buy into that theory, but it is interesting

Would be sad to see how quickly MCC numbers fell apart after this abysmal launch.

FyreWulff

They've been giving the players less information with each game. Halo 3, ODST, and Reach had 24hr UUs on site and current players in game (with various levels of accuracy). Halo 4 dropped 24hr UUs. MCC drops in-game population.

Stats were open for Halo 2 , 3, ODST and Reach. Microsoft takes over Reach and kills the stats API for the public. Halo 4 era Waypoint makes you sign in to even view stats. Current era Waypoint now enforces signing in to view even old games stats. You can't even see my basic Reach overview without signing up for a MS account on Waypoint. Bungie.net does not gate theirs behind any sign in - and shows even more detailed info than 343 does.

-Ryn

Banned
The AoT fan game is really good!

Also both of you should watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, for reasons.
There's been a recent update that introduced a new type of Titan as well as made a variety of new Titan skins. Some new visual effects as well. It's so gooooood. I'd love to see a full on professional studio make a game on PC for AoT.

I'll check out JoJo. Reasons are reason enough.

Okay 343i really need to make these Prometheans less bullet spongy in Halo 5. It takes like two full magazines from a light rifle to kill one Knight on legendary. It's silly. Not to mention that you get next to no ammo during the campaign for some reason (and on that note, what the hell @ the plasma pistol? Thing is using multiplayer ammo consumption. Which is ridiculous. 2-3 overcharges and it's almost empty)

This campaign is so infuriating compared to the other 3. There's just so much crap. It's like they didn't think about half of these encounters and tossed some enemies into a space and called it a day
Halo 4's campaign is an exercise in frustration. The only thing I can really recommend is to always use a suppressor. That gun rips Knigjts to shreds. I wouldn't even bother with the power weapons either. Shields are just too bullshit.

I really hope that Halo 5's campaign is done better...
and dammit there better be some fucking awesome large scale battles.

Nirvana

Okay 343i really need to make these Prometheans less bullet spongy in Halo 5. It takes like two full magazines from a light rifle to kill one Knight on legendary. It's silly. Not to mention that you get next to no ammo during the campaign for some reason (and on that note, what the hell @ the plasma pistol? Thing is using multiplayer ammo consumption. Which is ridiculous. 2-3 overcharges and it's almost empty)

This campaign is so infuriating compared to the other 3. There's just so much crap. It's like they didn't think about half of these encounters and tossed some enemies into a space and called it a day

I actually really enjoyed Halo 4 on Legendary, I thought the difficulty felt perfect. Halo 2 is my all time favourite though, with Halo 3 at the bottom of the pile.

-Ryn

Banned
I actually really enjoyed Halo 4 on Legendary, I thought the difficulty felt perfect. Halo 2 is my all time favourite though, with Halo 3 at the bottom of the pile.
In terms of Legendary I'd say from best to worst:

CE
Reach

-Ryn

Banned
For me it's:

CE
Reach
ODST
Oh shoot I forgot about ODST. I'd have to put ODST just after 3. Actually it might be my 2nd favorite. Hard to say.

My main reason for 2 being below 3 is due to a lot of its difficulty being based around the Elites having ridiculous shields and making enemy damage output fucking ridiculous (which is cheap and more frustrating than challenging imo).

Omni

The difficulty is alright. I mean I'm not dying because of enemies being too tough. My main problem is the actual campaign and enemy design itself. Like I shouldn't be stuck killing 16 ghosts and several tanks with an AR for over 30 minutes. That's just silly. And then you have all the scripted events that are painfully boring and play out the same way each and every time. And the lack of ammo. And the stupid split second of invincibility that Knights get when you knock their shields. Or their tendency to teleport once you've wasted two magazines of your sparse ammo on them.

It's just not fun.

At least with all the other campaigns it didn't feel like I was constantly getting shit over due to bad design decisions.

Overdoziz

Banned
Knights are terrible.

You rarely have plasma weapons when they're around so no easy way to get rid of their shields.
Their shields are practically invisible and there's no good way to see if their shields are down or not.
Their shields recharge really fast.
Getting headshots on them is nigh impossible.
You can't damage them while they do their teleport animation.

Bonus points for terribleness when they're using the snipers, rocket launcher or shotguns.

The difficulty is alright. I mean I'm not dying because of enemies being too tough. My main problem is the actual campaign and enemy design itself. Like I shouldn't be stuck killing 16 ghosts and several tanks with an AR for over 30 minutes. That's just silly. And then you have all the scripted events that are painfully boring and play out the same way each and every time. And the lack of ammo. And the stupid split second of invincibility that Knights get when you knock their shields. Or their tendency to teleport once you've wasted two magazines of your sparse ammo on them.

It's just not fun.

At least with all the other campaigns it didn't feel like I was constantly getting shit over due to bad design decisions.
There is no lack of ammo, it is not sparse. You just aren't looking very well because there is tons of it around.

m23

Unless I'm remembering wrong, it took 1 magazine to kill a knight. I guess as long as you're zoomed in that happens. Maybe unscoped it takes 2 magazines.

CliQ

In terms of Legendary I'd say from best to worst:

CE
Reach

Here's mine...

CE
Reach
ODST

This list is very misleading though because they are all a lot of fun to play. The list actually changes for me if I'm playing solo or Coop.

Welfare

Well, it is currently getting beaten by CoD, GTA, Fifa, Far Cry, DA:I, Ass Creed, and Destiny (Not in that order).

Using bf4stats.com, Halo has at least 6k online.

OMG this game is dead.

Does anyone else feel like Halo needs to focus more on weapons that have unique effects, like the Sword's lunge, the Concussion Rifle's knock back, or the CE Plasma Rifle's player stun, rather than giving us multiple similar weapons like the AR, SMG, and Silenced SMG or Magnum, BR, and DMR? 343 seems to want to fill the same niche over sand over again rather than create and fill new niches.

Does anyone else feel like Halo needs to focus more on weapons that have unique effects, like the Sword's lunge, the Concussion Rifle's knock back, or the CE Plasma Rifle's player stun, rather than giving us multiple similar weapons like the AR, SMG, and Silenced SMG or Magnum, BR, and DMR? 343 seems to want to fill the same niche over sand over again rather than create and fill new niches.

I think that's mainly a flaw of the human weaponry. The Promethean weapons had some interesting ideas like a headshot-capable charge weapon or the bouncing projectiles of the Scattershot, but the problem is that they focused more on ramping up the hell out of the damage output rather than capitalizing on secondary effects.

I wonder if they'll do some kind of relaunch campaign once the MP works. Y'know, like CPR?

It's absolutely necessary. This game just simply hasn't been given the chance to live. Phil Spencer or somebody of equivalent gravitas within the MS hierarchy needs to come out and do a BP style we're sorry campaign too. It's just too quiet for a franchise of this magnitude.

Tawpgun

Well, it is currently getting beaten by CoD, GTA, Fifa, Far Cry, DA:I, Ass Creed, and Destiny (Not in that order).

Using bf4stats.com, Halo has at least 6k online.

OMG this game is dead.

I'd believe it. I was starting to see familiar gamertags in my games.

I'm starting to doubt this game will ever fully recover. All I can hope for is to be able to get in to even teamed (not even skill, just even numbers) games with my party.

THAT'S ALL I WANT.

I think if 343 wants to regain some of the lost playerbase (after game works properly) they need to release some form of awesome DLC or SOMETHING and hype that up.

I think that's mainly a flaw of the human weaponry. The Promethean weapons had some interesting ideas like a headshot-capable charge weapon or the bouncing projectiles of the Scattershot, but the problem is that they focused more on ramping up the hell out of the damage output rather than capitalizing on secondary effects.

Projectiles that ricochet is a cool idea but I feel like a shotgun was the wrong weapon type to put it on. The Grenade Launcher's remotely detonated projectile was another good one. What other unique effects do you think Halo weapons could have?

Man, the stupid Scattershot was such a wasted opportunity to recreate the Flak Cannon. Bouncing shots never seemed to work.

Impala26

Wait, no I got it.

It was just another case of 343i not thinking about what they're actually doing with campaign. I had to kill 16 ghosts and 5 wraiths with an assault rifle. Yeap. Great game design there. Say what you want about Destiny, at least Bungie knows how to make something that's actually fun.

Playing this after Bungie's games is just jarring. And right now, if Halo 4 and the MCC is anything to go by, I couldn't be less excited about Halo 5. 343i honestly seem incompetent. Salty, but whatever.

Phogoth Disagrees...

TheOddOne

Man, the stupid Scattershot was such a wasted opportunity to recreate the Flak Cannon. Bouncing shots never seemed to work.
I still struggle to understand why it was so inconsistent. Then again, most if not all the Promethean weaponry was wildly inconsistent across the board.

VinFTW

It's just not fun.

You're doing something severely wrong.

TheOddOne

The range that each Scattershot projectile would disappear at and the damage each projectile would deal is random IIRC.
Yeah, people did point that out. The thing I struggled with was that it seem to function fully at certain ranges, and outside of the range it was just inconsistent; maybe that was the desired drawback. The problem was that it was never clear when the ranges began or ended. Which is frustrating, because you want to know how effectively you can wield the weapon in battles. It was just luck-of-the-draw type weapon, and caused me to avoid it at all cost.
Not too disimiliar to headshot consistency on prometheans....
*Getting terrible flashbacks* Yeah, the Promethean sandbox is random as hell.

Impala26

Phogoth reminds me of that boss from the game RAGE.

Phogoth and the general "Ogre" enemies in Destiny make me think they're a direct cop-out to the Brumaks from the Gears of War series.

Destiny Ogre:
382px-Ogre-image.png

GoW Brumak:
brumak2_noarmorpost01.jpg

Caja 117

It's absolutely necessary. This game just simply hasn't been given the chance to live. Phil Spencer or somebody of equivalent gravitas within the MS hierarchy needs to come out and do a BP style we're sorry campaign too. It's just too quiet for a franchise of this magnitude.

At this point is trying to convince everybody that this game works when it get fixed, and no one outside of Hardcore fans will buy this game to try and see if this is true.

MS/343 will have to just put this game up for free for a week or two to convince people that the the game is playable.

At this point is trying to convince everybody that this game works when it get fixed, and no one outside of Hardcore fans will buy this game to try and see if this is true.

MS/343 will have to just put this game up for free for a week or two to convince people that they the game is playable.

Or they could play off of 117 and make it free until January 17rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom