• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

Holy shit guys I just had the best in-game bug ever. Killed the Grunts and Elites that came down the lift in The Maw and I got like 50 Killinoaire medals. Putting us on 52k points in campaign scoring.

My whole screen was covered in Killionaire medals and points. It was awesome.

Clip so we can laugh.

It comes with no ammo on spawn, you have to run around until it magically refills?
A weapon that promotes living, but at the same time will never run out of ammo, making the risk even greater if you let the enemy take it from a dead teammate. A constant power weapon that isn't too overpowered, but still a must grab. I like it!

Ramirez

Spotting in BF only works for your squad, no? It's absolutely needed in that game for snipers, don't think Halo needs it, maps are too small.

When you search alone in a team game, luck gets rewarded no matter what. Your teammates are luck of the draw. Again, it's just like if you got paired with teammates who don't go for objectives, don't know what they're doing, don't have thumbs, etc. The guy who went +20 would've been screwed if he got matched with three kids who go -10 each, but that doesn't mean the game should hand them kills.

This isn't handing out kills. This is relaying the most basic information to other players on the team. Saying "I'm being shot in this location", "there is a sniper at place X" and "I'm throwing grenades now" aren't exactly difficult skills for players to master, but the game rewards people who are randomly placed on teams with people who have mics turned on that capture this info. That's not a matter of skill. Players who don't talk are perfectly capable of doing that, they're just choosing not to. That's an entirely luck-based outcome.

The game gives tools to reduce the negative effects of teammates who are betraying, AFKing (it used to at least), and not playing at your skill level (matchmaking), so why wouldn't it offer tools to reduce the negative effects of uncommunicative teammates?

And I fuckin spam that call out button in shadowrun because half the time it sees shit I don't anyway lol. Same with spotting in battlefield.

Which is why I think it should be only when you put your reticule on the player or shoot them down to one shot.

At high levels, like in whatever the "Pro" playlist is, the expectation should be that you are playing with a full team and in that case get rid of the chatter, but for most other playlists it would be a welcome addition.

EDIT:

But this is all moot because Halo 5 will probably launch in as unpolished a state as MCC and we'll have callouts happening in FFA lists. And/or nobody will be able to play anyways.

Ramirez

At high levels, like in whatever the "Pro" playlist is, the expectation should be that you are playing with a full team and in that case get rid of the chatter, but for most other playlists it would be a welcome addition.

EDIT:

But this is all moot because Halo 5 will probably launch in as unpolished a state as MCC and we'll have callouts happening in FFA lists. And/or nobody will be able to play anyways.

"Free DK on my X since you killed me from behind mid battle!"

I think another big distinction to make here is that voice chat isn't a mandatory part of playing the game. Sure, you can give shitty counterpoints about AFKers or running around doing nothing but backsmacking people, but ultimately to win a match of Halo in any standard gametype you have to be able to:

- move
- look around
- utilize action-command (picking up objectives, reloading, etc)
- deal damage, in the case of TDM

There's nothing in any one gametype that inherently forces the player to utilize vocal communication, and there's not a speaker built into controllers by default. And unless voice chat becomes integral to victory at a baseline, lowest-common-denominator level, it's never going to be required outright for gameplay. That's where I think a line needs to be drawn: between "handholdy" accessibility mechanics, like Personal Ordnance, and something that can be automated to fill in the gaps that not all players may provide a team with, such as artificial callouts.

Your gun automatically reloading when you're out of ammo is pretty handholdy. I mean, why not force players to hit the reload button when your clip is dry? I just hate how they keep catering to babies in gaming these days. Not to mention those godawful red Xs and the announcer's "FLAG TAKEN" cues. I mean, if they were real Halo players, they could use the map around them to deduce players had died and their flag was gone. Where's the map control? Where's the skill?

"Free DK on my X since you killed me from behind mid battle!"

Martyrdong perk that drops Donkey Kongs when you die?

Should incorporate real XBL callouts for that authenticity

"suck my dick breh"
"get raped bitch"
"OMG A GIRL IS PLAYING SHOW US YOUR BREASTS"

Tawpgun

Should incorporate real XBL callouts for that authenticity

"suck my dick breh"
"get raped bitch"
"OMG A GIRL IS PLAYING SHOW US YOUR BREASTS"
Sell Spartan chatter voice packs microtransactions

Free Dlc maps

Cmon 343

I'd buy a Walshy or t2 voice pack "stupid noob!"

Sell Spartan chatter voice packs microtransactions

Free Dlc maps

Cmon 343

I'd buy a Walshy or t2 voice pack "stupid noob!"

This would be a much better method of transactions than splitting up the community with DLC Maps.

Master Chief voices
Cortana voices
Frankie voices
Elzar voices

Make it happen, 343

In-Game callouts should be an input that the player has to do for themselves. I understand and welcome an in-game callout mechanic, but I don't like the automation of it in Halo 5. Like spotting in Battlefield/Gears, Pinging in LoL, D pad inputs for callouts in Shadowrun, these are all welcome additions to MP games. General mic chatter in Matchmaking is way down. An in-game callout system should be there for players to utilize, but it shouldn't be automatic, and not extremely specific either. That's where the benefit of mic chatter comes into play.

If you let the game gets the control of the game, players will be more like bots playing on the game rules, a smart team will ignore the game orders and just camp the other team near to the area of the callout to get points. The casual team will get butthurt about getting destroyed for following the game rules and avoid the game gametype blaming the game for such dumb mechanics while the smart team will stay there alonside other smarts teams to plague the gametype and the game lose population.

I would say callouts needs to be hear for the players near of the area but the maps are so small everyone could hear it anyway.

Today I learned that only unemployed people can afford mics, no one with a job can be good at Halo, and getting killed by a shotgun-toting defender is "luck".

OK then...

IHaveIce

Banned
This would be a much better method of transactions than splitting up the community with DLC Maps.

Master Chief voices
Cortana voices
Frankie voices
Elzar voices

Make it happen, 343

I just imagined a Halo 5 game where every spartan has Elzar's voice.

I think this could save the franchise, get on it Franklez and Tashi

Impala26

Master Chief voices
Arbiter/Elite voices
Flipyap/Grunt voices

Cortana voices
Sgt. Johnson voices
Frankie voices
Elzar voices

Make it happen, 343

FTFY... and yes would buy. That's a DAY ONE DOWNLOAD for me! XD

Madness

It's a simple solution for 343 but one they won't do, make the Spartan chatter a toggle option. Do you want to hear it in game, yes or no. Make it on by default if you want.

I really don't want/need to hear "Clean kill" "Thanks for the assist" "There's one in the red courtyard" "sniper rifle in ten seconds" "power weapons in ten seconds" "sniper rifle is on map" while I'm playing. Even if I'm not using a mic I probably don't want to hear it either.

Impala26

It's a simple solution for 343 but one they won't do, make the Spartan chatter a toggle option. Do you want to hear it in game, yes or no. Make it on by default if you want.

Of all our collective "feedback" regarding the upcoming H5 Beta, I would think that this is the most likely new feature to ultimately be made toggle-able. Though I still have my fingers crossed that they allow for sprint to be disabled as an option in customs.

Like a 1% chance of the latter happening, but I'm keeping my hopes up.

Today I learned that only unemployed people can afford mics, no one with a job can be good at Halo, and getting killed by a shotgun-toting defender is "luck".

OK then...

Halo 5 reedemed.

I really don't want/need to hear "Clean kill" "Thanks for the assist" "There's one in the red courtyard" "sniper rifle in ten seconds" "power weapons in ten seconds" "sniper rifle is on map" while I'm playing. Even if I'm not using a mic I probably don't want to hear it either.

There is point to make it toggeable if most of the people will keep the settings as default because would limit the new "experience"

If we get bots or cloud-powered Spartavatars, we should be able to buy voice packs for the teams depending on group sizes. MLG teams, 343 devs, Locke N' Friends, Reclaimer Radio, etc.

"Why do I have to reload?"
"Just pooped on kids bottom mid"
"I'm still on that bong, clean kill"
"to be fair, though, when you start getting into the technical machinations of the new syste-GRAVITY GAUNTLET IN TEN"

A team communicating with mics is still gonna wipe the other teams butts.

Spartan chatter didn't seem too encompassing tbh. But I'd appreciate knowing the enemy team has a sniper from a micless rando
"A good player will still be able to outplay a bad player, despite the bad player using Armor Lock."

This mentality is the reason why we keep getting superfluous additions. "Hey, if good players can still outplay others, so it's still a game of skill, right? Who cares about all these broken AA's and perks, the better player will still win at the end of the day, so surely people will latch onto that, unaware of how these things impact the meta game."
I agree with this as well, which is why I like Shadowrun's general area callout and LoL's Ping better than Gears/Battlefield just putting a red icon directly over the player. Calling out the location is what a player would be able to do, so it's a fair alternative to having a mic, a mic is still optimal because you can have more specific callouts. The general area location callout isn't cheap like a full on red dot exact spot is.
Interesting. Any videos of how it works?

How has this been so far? Are there many episodes out already?

It's been an enjoyable web series. Don't go in expecting The Wire, but if you can get over the slight cheese factor in lower-budget scifi like this, I'd say it's worth watching. I'm liking it about as much as Forward Unto Dawn. The characters are interesting, as is the setting, and the story so far has been relatively boots-on-the-ground while still adding some fun "backstory" on Locke (by the time Halo 5 comes around).

I want to give Nightfall a chance, but I hate those fucking human-alien things so much. Halo doesn't need any more Worfs. I like my aliens alien.

"A good player will still be able to outplay a bad player, despite the bad player using Armor Lock."

This mentality is the reason why we keep getting superfluous additions. "Hey, if good players can still outplay others, so it's still a game of skill, right? Who cares about all these broken AA's and perks, the better player will still win at the end of the day, so surely people will latch onto that, unaware of how these things impact the meta game."
You're comparing Spartan call outs to armor lock and other armor abilities? For real?

Madness

How has this been so far? Are there many episodes out already?

Today will be the 4th of 5. It's been alright. It's way too short, in my opinion. Would have been much better as a film released all at once. No need to wait a week, or keep being told about what happened at the start or previous weeks. It feels like they've barely done anything before the episode ends and you have to wait for next week. Characters are whatever. Locke/Macer/Randall are all that stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom