• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id be really interested in knowing when development started for mcc. Its obvious it was done in a crunch. Its almost like something microsoft wanted to push out at the last minute to have a big holiday title and a shocker announcement at e3. I would guess it was done in under a year. Maybe 8 months tops? Anyway, i havent heard anything more about the next patch. Gonna be out by friday?

Super soldier, realism, nostalgia, adapt.
Haha i may have to adapt. Really just want mcc fixed proper so i can do that for a year or more.

Interesting to see what Mikwen thinks about clamber:

I know a lot of you guys are worried clamber is going to ruin skill jumps, but I think it's just going to introduce new skill jumps.
I'm not worried over skill jumps. It's primarily giving clamber access on too many places on map that could make it unbalanced. Which based on what we've seen so far isn't a big issue so long as they keep it limited like Truth and Crossfire.

jem0208

I'm not worried over skill jumps. It's primarily giving clamber access on too many places on map that could make it unbalanced. Which based on what we've seen so far isn't a big issue so long as they keep it limited like Truth and Crossfire.

I think that problem is more of a map design issue than an inherent problem with clamber.

As long as maps are designed properly with it in mind then it shouldn't pose too much of an issue really.

When it comes to 343 and Halo we've learned this. They're gonna do want they're gonna do.

There's hundreds of well argued, thought out posts talking about how sprint isn't a good fit for Halo. Starting from Reach.

What's changed? They want sprint in their game so we're getting it. Come on you know this. Complaining doesn't change anything anymore
just showing that they dont listen to the core halo audience.
So you're saying I should get punished if the semi-random matchmaking happens to place me with players who aren't communicating?
YOU, yes.
Spotting in BF only works for your squad, no? It's absolutely needed in that game for snipers, don't think Halo needs it, maps are too small.
Not with Sprint, Clamber, and Thrusters.
This would be a much better method of transactions than splitting up the community with DLC Maps.

Master Chief voices
Cortana voices
Frankie voices
Elzar voices

Make it happen, 343
need more snoop dogg bluntz voice overs
It's a simple solution for 343 but one they won't do, make the Spartan chatter a toggle option. Do you want to hear it in game, yes or no. Make it on by default if you want.

I really don't want/need to hear "Clean kill" "Thanks for the assist" "There's one in the red courtyard" "sniper rifle in ten seconds" "power weapons in ten seconds" "sniper rifle is on map" while I'm playing. Even if I'm not using a mic I probably don't want to hear it either.
Bhahaha 343 giving options...
Interesting to see what Mikwen thinks about clamber:

I know a lot of you guys are worried clamber is going to ruin skill jumps, but I think it's just going to introduce new skill jumps.
Look, Jem likes an addition that is hand holdy. news at 11.
I mean I knew it, but this is 343i saying that they won't even consider it.
Seems like their design docs are all labeled with "ignore sprint, and add all modern things"

I think that problem is more of a map design issue than an inherent problem with clamber.

As long as maps are designed properly with it in mind then it shouldn't pose too much of an issue really.
That's pretty much how I feel with most of the spartan abilities. Except with ground pound. Charge was rarely ever used.

Today I learned that only unemployed people can afford mics, no one with a job can be good at Halo, and getting killed by a shotgun-toting defender is "luck".

OK then...

Late to this, but yeah, on the shotgun toting defender. Player A has teammates who call out "guy camping shotgun" Player B does not. Both Player A and B had teammates randomly assigned before the game began. That's luck.

Why are we pretending that simple callouts are some huge skill gap thing?

jem0208

just showing that they dont listen to the core halo audience.

YOU, yes.

Not with Sprint, Clamber, and Thrusters.

need more snoop dogg bluntz voice overs

Bhahaha 343 giving options...

Look, Jem likes an addition that is hand holdy. news at 11.

Seems like their design docs are all labeled with "ignore sprint, and add all modern things"

Look, Ragnarok is spewing salt again, who saw that coming??

hahahaha.

Seriously though, Halo 5 is going to flop. People will have already had enough of it by the end of the Beta.

it wont flop, they are bringing in the Casual audience. they'll continue to change and milk the franchise with modern shit.

all the while Frankie or other people from 343 keep spouting "we're listening to the community" and "trust us"

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
When's the next Nightfall episode out?
I still haven't watched a single episode, wow. I honestly forgot it existed.

After Destiny being bad and MCC being broken my interest in games is the lowest its been at in like five years (when I didn't play games at all). I'm getting Dragon Age this week, and it sounds fun, but I'm also pretty content just not playing games much. It feels weird, lol. I kind of miss them, but I can't generate the interest.

RowdyReverb

I'm ok with clamber. It can't be any more map-breaking than jet pack, and everybody has the ability from the get go. So long as maps are designed with that ability in mind, it shouldn't break flow.
That said, I can't really figure out any reason for adding it aside from "all the other guys are doing it", which is a valid reason I suppose from a business perspective.

How about you either stay silent on the topic, or back up your opinions with some logic and well constructed arguments as to why Halo 5 will be a flop rather than just snarky comments. Why is Halo 5 more bad? Please, tell me why more "Halo 5" means less sales and player retention and please tell me why you insist on laughing at other people's opinions in an attempt to belittle fans and a game that many of us are excited for.

Man, don't even bother. This place isn't going to be livable until the "Halo is dead" crowd either gets over their issues or moves on.

Madness

Man, don't even bother. This place isn't going to be livable until the "Halo is dead" crowd either gets over their issues or moves on.

This place could also do without the "stick to your past games" or "move on" mentality as well. We all have our own personal stakes in the future of the franchise. So why wouldn't people fight tooth and nail against changes they don't want? If you're cool with Halo 5 changes? Cool. If you're not cool with Halo 5 changes, that's also cool.

CliQ

because constant ass kissing and positivity is any better. and people that dont like the changes should "get over it, and or move on"?

I think people just don't want to read your complaints and comments about the game because it's the way you come across. You (sometimes) come across as disrespectful and that rubs people the wrong way obviously.

If it was me I would try and explain the type of Halo I would like to see. Rather than pick a part the next Halo. We sort of have to be a team here and try and get some of the major concerns addressed. We won't get everything, that's just the nature of a new Halo, but we can try and get some of the big ones brought up.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
2bSLXa6.gif

Fuchsdh

Eh, I'm thinking more about Forged maps being an issue. If you could set items as "clamber" edges, that could prevent exploits, but then again that adds in player confusion over what you can actually clamber over. I'm guessing people are gonna' need a lot more walls or soft kill boundaries.

Madness

The average gamer is what makes MS money, this is a business.

Yeah these days, it's the initial launch that makes them the most money. It's why so many games are getting discounted so quickly. The initial pre-orders, sales the first month basically make them the most profit. So as long as they can appeal to those flavor of the month gamers who buy whatever is new, as well as get positive reviews, they're happy. They don't care whether a handful of nerds are talking about weapon kill times 10 months from launch.

Who knew they'd actually listen to the EGM reviewer in the end though. I mean honestly, there is little to no positive for giving us this ADS/Smart Scope. But it's there. I was thinking in my mind, why does a 7 foot super soldier with a massive helmet and Visor with hud display have a BR scope right in the middle of his view too.

It's so obvious we're not who the core audience is anymore, and that they know they pretty much have our sales, it's the others they need to get.

CliQ

Yeah these days, it's the initial launch that makes them the most money. It's why so many games are getting discounted so quickly. The initial pre-orders, sales the first month basically make them the most profit. So as long as they can appeal to those flavor of the month gamers who buy whatever is new, as well as get positive reviews, they're happy. They don't care whether a handful of nerds are talking about weapon kill times 10 months from launch.

Who knew they'd actually listen to the EGM reviewer in the end though. I mean honestly, there is little to no positive for giving us this ADS/Smart Scope. But it's there. I was thinking in my mind, why does a 7 foot super soldier with a massive helmet and Visor with hud display have a BR scope right in the middle of his view too.

It's so obvious we're not who the core audience is anymore, and that they know they pretty much have our sales, it's the others they need to get.

I have to agree with the smart scope talk. I mean from a lore point it's technically been in the game but honestly I've never understood why any of the guns have scopes on them at all. The smart scope stuff from a lore standpoint always meant your scope was in your visor. It was built in. The only reason that a scope would exist is for the marines but this new idea of smart scope doesn't fit with how I imagined it. This is one of those things I hope 343i will see and revert back to classic zoom. (Bonus would be without having a scope physically shown on the gun. It's the future!)

Hey guys and gals, I've been waiting to post for quite some time now.

I'm one of those oddballs who really likes sprint and had no problem with Reach (besides armor lock/sword block) and Halo 4. So I'm sure my opinion will fit in really well here.

I'm always on MCC trying to load a game so lemme know if anybody is down for a round or two.

Granadier

Hey guys and gals, I've been waiting to post for quite some time now.

I'm one of those oddballs who really likes sprint and had no problem with Reach (besides armor lock/sword block) and Halo 4. So I'm sure my opinion will fit in really well here.

I'm always on MCC trying to load a game so lemme know if anybody is down for a round or two.

Burn the heretic!

iNyfAsU.jpg

/s Welcome.

Madness

I have to agree with the smart scope talk. I mean from a lore point it's technically been in the game but honestly I've never understood why any of the guns have scopes on them at all. The smart scope stuff from a lore standpoint always meant your scope was in your visor. It was built in. The only reason that a scope would exist is for the marines but this new idea of smart scope doesn't fit with how I imagined it. This is one of those things I hope 343i will see and revert back to classic zoom. (Bonus would be without having a scope physically shown on the gun. It's the future!)

Halo-5-Aim-Down-Sights.png

I just don't get this... Whatever. It's not like me complaining will achieve anything. Eagerly awaiting the new reviews. "Halo has evolved, it's no longer the decade old slow shooter of the past" "The King has Returned!" "Bungie, who?" "9.9/10".

The horns look so ridiculous too.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
because constant ass kissing and positivity is any better. and people that dont like the changes should "get over it, and or move on"?
Everything being discussed in terms of oppositional extremes is a big reason why this place can get annoying sometimes and you're like the crown prince of that.

I've loved Halo since CE, and i still think CE is one of the best shooters ever created. Yet, i even think Halo had to evolve. Playing CE and Halo 2 is crazy fun but it only lasts for a short while.

Halo had to evolve. People that think otherwise are naive.

Granadier

I just don't get this... Whatever. It's not like me complaining will achieve anything. Eagerly awaiting the new reviews. "Halo has evolved, it's no longer the decade old slow shooter of the past" "The King has Returned!" "Bungie, who?" "9.9/10".

The horns look so ridiculous too.

My favorite part is this beautiful blind spot.

K802BxB.png

Whereas the amount of visibility in H2A is just overwhelming to the senses.

Cn9v5ED.png

I'm ok with clamber. It can't be any more map-breaking than jet pack, and everybody has the ability from the get go. So long as maps are designed with that ability in mind, it shouldn't break flow.
That said, I can't really figure out any reason for adding it aside from "all the other guys are doing it", which is a valid reason I suppose from a business perspective.
Jet pack needs to stay away for awhile. It's fun in special gametypes like the Elites with Jet packs on fiesta was sorta cool. But hell that ability was right next to armor lock needIng to be scrapped.

Oh and those zealots that defended Armor lock before and after the nerf. Holy hell that was terrible back then...

belushy

Banned
I still hate clamber, but I'm expecting an awesome duck-hunt style mini-game with wall climbing after the full game is released.

You'd have a point, if that's what I said.

This place could also do without the "stick to your past games" or "move on" mentality as well. We all have our own personal stakes in the future of the franchise. So why wouldn't people fight tooth and nail against changes they don't want? If you're cool with Halo 5 changes? Cool. If you're not cool with Halo 5 changes, that's also cool.

Not what I said. I'm not saying that people who don't like the new features should put up or shut up, I'm specifically talking about the forgone conclusion crowd.

antigoon

While I think sprint and Halo have been a historically awful combination, I'm still really looking forward to trying out Halo 5. I think it has a lot more promise than either Reach or 4.

Grexeno

Id be really interested in knowing when development started for mcc. Its obvious it was done in a crunch. Its almost like something microsoft wanted to push out at the last minute to have a big holiday title and a shocker announcement at e3. I would guess it was done in under a year. Maybe 8 months tops?
I'm gonna call it: it was just Halo 2 Anniversary until Microsoft forced the rest of the games to be added less than a month before E3

Madness

You'd have a point, if that's what I said.

Not what I said. I'm not saying that people who don't like the new features should put up or shut up, I'm specifically talking about the forgone conclusion crowd.

Oh yeah, I'm going to give the beta the full run through. Will probably have tons of tl;dr posts of thoughts. Don't think anything will really change, but you never know. I'm going into the beta as a pessimist though.

CliQ

My favorite part is this beautiful blind spot.

K802BxB.png

Whereas the amount of visibility in H2A is just overwhelming to the senses.

Cn9v5ED.png

At least we know where the power button is for the BR now. Also, in case you want to up vote or down vote there's two buttons for that too.

Granadier

At least we know where the power button is for the BR now. Also, in case you want to up vote or down vote there's two buttons for that too.

I would lose my shit if there was a "Turn on/off reticle", and a big Spartan finger would reach up into the view and press that little button each time.

Would rival this from BF4.

HarmoniousDigitalBelugawhale.gif

Cow

How about you either stay silent on the topic, or back up your opinions with some logic and well constructed arguments as to why Halo 5 will be a flop rather than just snarky comments. Why is Halo 5 more bad? Please, tell me why more "Halo 5" means less sales and player retention and please tell me why you insist on laughing at other people's opinions in an attempt to belittle fans and a game that many of us are excited for.

Hahahahaha I love you mastrbiggy. I was waiting for this. Heres some reasons that have been discussed to death.

More competition. Large Halo 4 initial sales (lower total sales) low player retention suggesting general dissatisfaction with the game... not fun, nothing to achieve. Halo 5 looks the same in that it is a Halo for babies due to constant medals, announcer constantly telling you every obvious fucking detail, spartan chatter, it's a sensory overload which becomes tiring. XBL ranking and Halo 4 population Graphs etc.

Halo becoming more and more like call of duty with every iteration now, it isn't differentiating itself enough. There is a large player base on xbox one now that is interested in classic arena shooters, classic Halo due to the MCC, not Halo 4 style halo filled with armour abilities. Halo 5 containing sprint, endless armour abilities, huge maps is a massive fuck you to these fans.

Not to mention the fact that 343 has absolutely butchered the MCC launch, tainting the previous quality and completeness associated with Halo (also seen with the lack of features in Halo 4). Word of mouth has spread, and the Halo brand is viewed a lot differently now, due to saturation, and to 343s direction with Halo 4 plus completely failing to redeem themselves with the MCC.

There are few positives associated with Halo 5 such as everyone starting equally and weapons being on the map, however, armour abilities are cheap gimmicks and far from what makes Halo and a lot of people can see this. Halo 5 is again, like Halo 4 a run or gun shooter rather than a run and gun, constantly having to sacrifice the ability to shoot. It's far from Halo.

As for why I insist on belittling fans and a game many of you are excited for... probably to fit in here, or more likely because I genuinely believe that the game is bad for Halo due to reasons said above. I'm a fan of the franchise myself, just not of Halo: Reach, Halo 4 and it's definitely looking like I won't be getting Halo 5. Halo: Reach I believed could be fun, it wasn't. Halo 4 I bought into the hype and it was a new numbered title many were unsure if it would ever happen, I, along with many others thought Halo was back... it wasn't. Halo 5 is filled with cheap tricks designed to build a perception of depth, everyone spawns with the 1 hit kill ground pound for fucks sake. Not to mention the lame attitude of the spartans high fiving, the terrible looking jump into the arena.

This is getting out of hand and definitely isn't well constructed I'll give you that but 343 are ruining this franchise and it's reputation has been tarnished. Trends in the franchise suggest that Halo 5 will sell less than Halo 3, Halo: Reach and Halo 4 and I'd be willing to guess it will have less total sales than MCC, even with the botched launch.

Computer

343 not willing to budge on the sprint issue is a slap in the face to a lot of Halo fans. I don't like the ego they show to the community at all. Frankly is pisses me off.

In the words of Josh. "A lot of fans think sprint dose not belong in Halo. So we put it in anyways"
Keep catering the the cod players that will drop your game in a week. You will have yet another failed game under your belt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom