• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takashi

Did MS/343 decide to take down that 15,000 point offer for MCC? I thought maybe it rolled out because it was scheduled to but that they would remove it promptly due to the game's issues. If it turns out they are going full steam ahead on that, then idk what to say.

Like I know they still air the commercials for it, but I kind of rationalized that as "at least people are still being exposed to it so the population doesn't dwindle as quickly for when it finally gets fixed". But that whole deal is something else entirely. Seems distasteful, especially after so many people who already bought it have been wanting some form of compensation.

Madness

They have to be disappointed as a studio. Going from probably being the #1 or #2 sales IP this month to a huge drop or stop in sales. There are probably some bean counters at MS who are probably analyzing the damage done.

I mean UK is a smaller market than the US, but MCC was #27 for Black Friday sales. Think about all the games people bought rather than this. Extrapolate it for the US, Canada, Australia as well. They probably made a profit on this game due to the massive day one or first week sales, but the game has probably only sold a fraction of what it could have.

You're comparing Spartan call outs to armor lock and other armor abilities? For real?
I'm comparing the mentality of introducing new things that may or may not break the meta game. I believe several people in here have already done a fine job explaining why things like knowing the enemy has picked up power weapons without anyone seeing it is gimping the meta game, similar to Armor Lock, albeit on a different level.

Been queuing team slayer with moderate success. Connection is typically pretty spotty, but playable.

Man, this will be amazing when it's fixed.

Edit: I love CE for this reason: no matter what map or gametype I always have a utility weapon. The Pistol. No SMG starts or crappy h3 AR. If Halo 5 has assualt rifle and pistol starts I will be a very happy man.

Sephzilla

Been queuing team slayer with moderate success. Connection is typically pretty spotty, but playable.

This is why I'm really thinking (or clinging to the hope) that if the next patch brings more improvement, people will hang into MCC and there will be hope for this game. It seems like everyone who actually gets a few solid games in all agrees that MCC is amazing when it works. The closer we get to it working properly full time will hopefully give more people hope.

im clinging to hope

CliQ

f48TPfm.jpg

Your votes have been counted and next Saturday we will be in Halo 3! Multiflag CTF on Avalanche will be center stage.

I should have my new capture card by then and hopefully will have some beautiful 1080p 60fps footage to show off! If you want to play in this weeks match send me a PM with your GT or add me on XBL (GT - xCliQuEx). I'm starting to get a feel for making teams balanced so this weekend should be really close!

In case you missed it here are the highlights from this past weekend.

See you on the battlefield!

jem0208

Edit: I love CE for this reason: no matter what map or gametype I always have a utility weapon. The Pistol. No SMG starts or crappy h3 AR. If Halo 5 has assualt rifle and pistol starts I will be a very happy man.

From the gameplay we've seen so far, all the weapons in Halo 5 look reasonably viable. Which is a very nice change IMO, as long as it is balanced properly.

This is why I'm really thinking (or clinging to the hope) that if the next patch brings more improvement, people will hang into MCC and there will be hope for this game. It seems like everyone who actually gets a few solid games in all agrees that MCC is amazing when it works. The closer we get to it working properly full time will hopefully give more people hope.

im clinging to hope

Yeah I just hope the damage isn't already done. The Internet is a vocal place and when the MCC is fixed I hope people start singing its praises.

Btw, the main issue for me is match performance (obvious lack of dedicated server matching) and the odd glitch that s happens in matchmaking where it leaves you with a bunch of people in your "session." It's incredibly odd and frequent.

CliQ

From the gameplay we've seen so far, all the weapons in Halo 5 look reasonably viable. Which is a very nice change IMO, as long as it is balanced properly.

One could argue that the AR in CE is amazing. ITt's probably the best AR out of all the variations of it. Not to mention all of the other weapons in CE and how they all have some sort of use.

Sephzilla

One could argue that the AR in CE is amazing. ITt's probably the best AR out of all the variations of it. Not to mention all of the other weapons in CE and how they all have some sort of use.

i... dont know what to say to this.

does halogaf mostly like the CE AR? I've always hated the thing

Ok, whinge post 101. Why on the Great Journey itself would a dev have playlist sizes of 10 players, 5v5 but max party size 4? Basically if you have a party of 5 currently you're forced to BTB and that's it.

So we roll with it and get stuck searching 3 times for 6 minutes each with hard resets in between...zero players found. Again and again. I'm still not able to match anyone in any playlist since launch. So I ditched out and let the others who can find matches at least enter 5v5 as a 4 man party. Ugh. I'm no tech noob either, I've used port forwarding, DMZ, direct modem connection, change static IP, mapped MAC addresses and more. The game is borked.

We also simply attempted to back out as party leader 3 times, failed each time. Again and again.

Honestly these are really basic things to get right e.g. party sizes matching playlist team sizes or keeping a party together when switching customs/matchmaking/different playlists. I get the current playlists are a temp fix but fuck me this is simple logic and should never be implemented the way it currently is. Also in this day and age why can't these teams/players/party sizes be adjusted server side on the fly? In real time.

I truly hope this latest patch fixes a metric shit-ton of matchmaking issues.

That is actually something I noticed too. I have a feeling that most good players will totally avoid CQC as a result. We haven't seen the shotgun or any promethean/alien weapons so I'm curious how it will all stack up.

CliQ

I love it. Up close its a great spray weapon and from a far you actually can pepper it and get semi accurate kills. I'm telling you man the AR in CE is a beast!

Sephzilla

I love it. Up close its a great spray weapon and from a far you actually can pepper it and get semi accurate kills. I'm telling you man the AR in CE is a beast!

my world feels upside down

real talk - i actually really like the AR in H2A's multiplayer. It's like an SMG except not useless.

This is actually true. Up close its a fierce weapon. The medium range kills are few and far between but are possible...if the player you are fighting doesn't have a pistol or is terrible lol.

I just wish they would stick to the original sound direction with the AR and pistol. They sounded punchy and meaty.

CliQ

my world feels upside down

real talk - i actually really like the AR in H2A's multiplayer. It's like an SMG except not useless.

The AR in H2A is nice but it's got nothing on the CE AR. I mean 60 rounds! Did you know that if you pepper it it can actually compete somewhat against the pistol?

Akai__

5 episodes? I thought we are getting 8?

Pretty sure there are 8 rewards listed in the Halo Channle app and all are obtained by watching every episode.

belushy

Banned
AR is cool, I just don't see the difference between the AR and SMG at the moment. Other then the SMG's ADS looking a little better. ADS with AR just looks weird.

Sephzilla

The AR in H2A is nice but it's got nothing on the CE AR. I mean 60 rounds! Did you know that if you pepper it it can actually compete somewhat against the pistol?

Nice.

I think if the H2A AR had 60 rounds it might be a tad broken, honestly, assuming it would keep its 32 round firepower.

AR is cool, I just don't see the difference between the AR and SMG at the moment. Other then the SMG's ADS looking a little better. ADS with AR just looks weird.

AR is a medium close range weapon while the SMG looks to be a mag dump of power especially up close. Looks harder to control as well.

CliQ

Oh we talking about H5? I think the SMG (as much as I loved it in H3) doesn't belong in Halo. The AR seems more fitting to me for a spartan and the SMG is more for a Ghost Recon Soldier. Just my two cents.

Impala26

im clinging to hope

#KeepHopeAlive

f48TPfm.jpg

Your votes have been counted and next Saturday we will be in Halo 3! Multiflag CTF on Avalanche will be center stage.

I should have my new capture card by then and hopefully will have some beautiful 1080p 60fps footage to show off! If you want to play in this weeks match send me a PM with your GT or add me on XBL (GT - xCliQuEx). I'm starting to get a feel for making teams balanced so this weekend should be really close!

In case you missed it here are the highlights from this past weekend.

See you on the battlefield!

I can confirm without a doubt that I will NOT be making it this weekend as I'm going to be having an extended stay in Chicago.

EDIT: Seph, maybe you want to try the Throwdown in my stead?
It's fuggin amazing

Madness

5 episodes? I thought we are getting 8?

Pretty sure there are 8 rewards listed in the Halo Channle app and all are obtained by watching every episode.

You get two rewards for finishing the series. I think we got two rewards last week too. Next week is finale for Nightfall though. Was always said to be a 5 parter.

Akai__

You get two rewards for finishing the series. I think we got two rewards last week too. Next week is finale for Nightfall though. Was always said to be a 5 parter.

Well, this changes everything. 5 episodes is way too short. The story hasn't even begun and now it's almost over? Wow. :(

Well, this changes everything. 5 episodes is way too short. The story hasn't even begun and now it's almost over? Wow. :(

Hasn't begun? Lol

Side note: halo ce is the worst online. It's painful how much your shots don't register. Even when you lead your shots.

Booshka

"A good player will still be able to outplay a bad player, despite the bad player using Armor Lock."

This mentality is the reason why we keep getting superfluous additions. "Hey, if good players can still outplay others, so it's still a game of skill, right? Who cares about all these broken AA's and perks, the better player will still win at the end of the day, so surely people will latch onto that, unaware of how these things impact the meta game."

Interesting. Any videos of how it works?

Youtube gameplay

This is a random game I recorded, you can see the call out system in the very first round. Bottom left of the screen shows current location, and the three D Pad callout options. Top is just for Callout, Right is for Move to and Call out if that area has the flag or if an enemy is there, Left is for Backup needed at your current location. There will be a Eye icon to the general area when players get called out as well. You can also call out when you are dead and need a Resurrect, also there will be text for when someone puts down a Tree. The voice for the callout can be muted if you like.

Can you start a Custom Soundtrack to mute the Menu music, then pause the Custom soundtrack for silence? That's what I used to do on 360.

I heard that's not possible on the Xbox One but I haven't personally tried it.

Hasn't begun? Lol

Side note: halo ce is the worst online. It's painful how much your shots don't register. Even when you lead your shots.

Game is a joke. Fall damage is completely broken, I died jumping slightly uphill on Timberlands. Not the only port with problems though:

Halo 2 classic - Call signs are broken so I can't tell which team mate is which. BR seems to have worse registration issues than OG Halo 3.

Halo 3 - Throwing two grenades simultaneously. Also two power drains etc. Medals and kill feed often duplicate.

These are in addition to the various other problems I and many others have listed in previous posts.

That's it. I'm quitting out of every match that doesn't start me with a competent weapon. SMG, PR, and AR starts are beyond garbage. We have been saying this for years.

Time to not be stupid 343.

jem0208

That is actually something I noticed too. I have a feeling that most good players will totally avoid CQC as a result. We haven't seen the shotgun or any promethean/alien weapons so I'm curious how it will all stack up.

That could well happen. I think movement in general is going to have to be far more important in 5 than in previous Halos, not just because of the new movement options.

A good player will hang back and use the thruster to dodge back or around another player, whereas a bad player will charge forward into the other players fire.

If the weapons have a more strict effective range it could increase the strategy behind movement massively. No longer would you be able to charge into any room because you're holding a BR which is capable at any range. You would have to consider your movements around the map and whether or not the weaponry you are currently holding would be suitable for the situation you are about to enter.

This is all assumptions of course, however I think it would be very cool if true.

The AR in CE can be quite powerful, however I've always found it was quite boring to use.

Alright HaloGAF, I'm going to try and find a game in Team Slayer, wish me luck.

Edit: Holy shit, I actually had a good game. 5 v 5 on Chill Out and I'm pretty sure it was on dedicated servers as well, only took 3 minutes as well. After the game ended we all joined some random guys custom game but oh well.

I think it's the best in the franchise:
  • 60 bullets
  • SHREDS up close (does good damage and empties its mag faster (IIRC) than the 32 shot AR's in later games)
  • Automatics and the Shotgun activate Camo quicker (design choice in CE for CQC weapons, referred to as "quick camo glitch") <-- Meaning you'd want to drop your Pistol over your AR when picking up Rockets while Camo'd. You can instantly go invisible after shooting a Rocket by switching to the AR instead of exposing yourself for too long by letting it go naturally. That's how you make other weapons useful in a sandbox with weapons as powerful as the CE Pistol.
  • Sounds awesome
Youtube gameplay

This is a random game I recorded, you can see the call out system in the very first round. Bottom left of the screen shows current location, and the three D Pad callout options. Top is just for Callout, Right is for Move to and Call out if that area has the flag or if an enemy is there, Left is for Backup needed at your current location. There will be a Eye icon to the general area when players get called out as well. You can also call out when you are dead and need a Resurrect, also there will be text for when someone puts down a Tree. The voice for the callout can be muted if you like.
I like these types of callouts, with manual button presses. By the way, good stuff communicating with your team ;]

I think the whole "War Games" concept should've been implemented in a RTS Halo title. Think Spartan Assault for ex., but, using both concepts to simulate past, present, and perhaps future events to tell a mixed bag of stories and actually play them in a Halo Wars spin off would be pretty bad ass.

I think the whole "War Games" concept should've been implemented in a RTS Halo title. Think Spartan Assault for ex., but, using both concepts to simulate past, present, and perhaps future events to tell a mixed bag of stories and actually play them in a Halo Wars spin off would be pretty bad ass.

RTS Spartan Assault 2?

RowdyReverb

CTF on Avalanche is one of my all time favorites. I hope I can find time to join on Saturday night. Would love to relive some memories there

Some quotes about halo 5 from pro player Mikwen over at the beyond forums:
If it helps when I sat in the studio and watched it played I was completely turned off, said the exact same things I said about it that has been the majority opinion in this thread.

Even felt that way for the first few games, it's different, you feel kind of overwhelmed with the noises and the amount of controls, but something about it actually became intriguing the more I played it. I noticed how hard it was to shoot, and how hard you could destroy people that weren't as skillful/tricky as you. How pointless sprint was (It literally seems like it's there just to make sprint lovers happy) I swear, every time I hit my sprint button(I played on recon so it was X, basically traditional Halo) I died.

The thruster was 100% overpowered and we stressed how much needed to be changed about it, loudly.

Ground and pound was extremely hard to land, but extremely rewarding if it is landed, I only witnessed Ryanoob land it all weekend. Ground and Pound also needs a small rework, which Kevin and Quinn noticed as well, since you trigger it by crouching while in the air and looking down, it obviously caused problems.

Spartan Charge I still felt kind of undecided, it was like a glorified herp derp, but at the same time I found myself dying more so than succeeding with it (I also noticed if you spartan charge, and immediately melee it's similar to a BXB from H2)

If it helps at all, I strongly voiced my distaste about Halo 4 VERY early on into the game, while I was at the MLG tourney actually. This game is VERY different, I realize that, but that doesn't stop it from having potential.

If you have any other questions throw them my way, but for the most part I tackled the easy ones.

Everything uses smart scope as well Sword, SMG, AR. Everything has a scope.

SMG and AR also have a very minimal headshot multiplier.

Sword smart scope makes it go from basically a H3 sword lunge to somewhere in the middle between H2 and H3.

About how hard aiming was:

Lots of things added to it, I definitely felt less magnetism and aim assist than normal, not to the point it's crippling, but it was noticeable. Spartans look pretty small, especially on Midship, and really fast movement. Just led to you missing more than hitting :)

Reticules felt smaller too, not sure if they for sure are though. Just how it felt.

Ground pound impressions:
Just against good players you're going to die before you can fly to the ground, you have to be at a pretty high elevation to land it. Sacrificing positions for a 1 hit kill, and it just wasn't easy to get that one hit KO.

Thrusters:

But we suggested the same penalty that sprint receives, and making it if you're sprinting then thruster you get a much shorter thrust, and if just walking you get a longer thrust. The overall distance needs a slight reduction still imo

and Ryanoob was strongly voicing how much the cooldown needed to be increased.
I think it was 4 seconds in the build we used, the first build it was 2 seconds. So I can see it becoming 5-6 seconds, which would be the right range.

Beta will have different starting weapons every week:

Week 1: AR and Magnum
Week 2: BR
Week 3: DMR

Sprint is here to stay:

Sprint they seemed dead set on tbh everything else was pretty constructive and they wanted to hear negatives/positives :)

More details at http://teambeyond.net/forum/index.php?/topic/7177-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta-reveal-discussion/page-181

jem0208

Interesting to see what Mikwen thinks about clamber:

How do you feel about Mantle? It is pretty much killing off the whole entire Skill jumping community entirely, and from gameplay it looks like it dumbs down the game. Thoughts?
I was doing some crazy sprint, jump, thrust, then mantle jumps. So I think it's just a new version of skill jumps tbh

I jumped from window on middy to top mid, mantled up and 4'd someone at P2

Was super hard to land though.

I know a lot of you guys are worried clamber is going to ruin skill jumps, but I think it's just going to introduce new skill jumps.

I'm pretty excited to play the beta. I really don't know what to think about Halo 5 after seeing gameplay and hearing impressions. On one hand it looks fun and sounds good, but on the other hand it looks so different and it's doing things that worry me. I really just need to play it at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom