• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
343 not willing to budge on the sprint issue is a slap in the face to a lot of Halo fans. I don't like the ego they show to the community at all. Frankly is pisses me off.

In the words of Josh. "A lot of fans think sprint dose not belong in Halo. So we put it in anyways"
Keep catering the the cod players that will drop your game in a week. You will have yet another failed game under your belt.

Well, there are people who do enjoy sprint in Halo, and lord knows I've put days/weeks/months into each iteration so they haven't lost this player.

I agree with those who say a faster base speed may work better but especially after going back and playing H2A and Halo 3 I would never want to be without a sprint or a thruster pack of some sort. In Halo 5's case we'll have to see if lack of shield recharge will make a big difference while sprinting but I've never had a problem with people who knew they were in a losing battle and were able to get away.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
My favorite part is this beautiful blind spot.

K802BxB.png

Whereas the amount of visibility in H2A is just overwhelming to the senses.

Cn9v5ED.png
Yup, I really hate that. The horns on the side of the scope are bad, too. It's just so pointless. It's a sacrifice in visual clarity for no reason other than appeasing the "modern FPS" crowd.

Well, there are people who do enjoy sprint in Halo, and lord knows I've put days/weeks/months into each iteration so they haven't lost this player.

I agree with those who say a faster base speed may work better but especially after going back and playing H2A and Halo 3 I would never want to be without a sprint or a thruster pack of some sort. In Halo 5's case we'll have to see if lack of shield recharge will make a big difference while sprinting but I've never had a problem with people who knew they were in a losing battle and were able to get away.
They shouldn't be able to run away if they are losing the battle, they made a mistake and sprint is just there to be a get out of mistake free button.

Yup, I really hate that. The horns on the side of the scope are bad, too. It's just so pointless. It's a sacrifice in visual clarity for no reason other than appeasing the "modern FPS" crowd.

"Appease modern fps crowd" is at the top of 343's to-do list, lol. I don't mind the new scope, I actually kind of like it.

wwm0nkey

I know the whole "make your own game if you can do better" thing is dumb, but Im seriously surprised HaloGAF hasn't tried yet considering Engine software like UE4 is only $19 lol

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I know the whole "make your own game if you can do better" thing is dumb, but Im seriously surprised HaloGAF hasn't tried yet considering Engine software like UE4 is only $19 lol

It's an enormous undertaking.

They shouldn't be able to run away if they are losing the battle, they made a mistake and sprint is just there to be a get out of mistake free button.
Now I wanna say this is true, but the same can be said about Thruster Pack BUT TP immediately depletes and evades at a short distance. Which I wanted it to be the only needed default replacement over sprint to promote more movement.

I think increase base movement and slowing sprint to a small degree should be better.

Madness

I've loved Halo since CE, and i still think CE is one of the best shooters ever created. Yet, i even think Halo had to evolve. Playing CE and Halo 2 is crazy fun but it only lasts for a short while.

Halo had to evolve. People that think otherwise are naive.

I'm pretty sure you're trolling now. I'd rather take crazy fun if it lasts for a short while, than no fun at all because I'm not playing. It's like you people forgot you got your "evolved" Halo with Reach and 4. How much crazy fun was that? And if TitanFall does it for you right now, keep playing that then.

I'm pretty sure you're trolling now. I'd rather take crazy fun if it lasts for a short while, than no fun at all because I'm not playing. It's like you people forgot you got your "evolved" Halo with Reach and 4. How much crazy fun was that? And if TitanFall does it for you right now, keep playing that then.
He's also the guy that wants halo to look more realistic and less colorful.

I genuinely believe that the game is bad for Halo due to reasons said above.
I genuinely believe that Halo 2 and Halo 3 gameplay is bad for Halo due to reasons thousands of people have tried explaining over the past 10 years.

boom

Cow

I genuinely believe that Halo 2 and Halo 3 gameplay is bad for Halo due to reasons thousands of people have tried explaining over the past 10 years.

boom

Our opinions differ... cool. At least the franchise displayed growth from H1 to H2 and 3.

So Episode 4 of Nightfall was more or less the "Ripley Scott's Patented Everyone-Panics-And-Goes-Into-Self-Preservation Mode" moment. Still enjoyable. The second stories are more important (at least 2 and 3) in the context of when they pop up, so don't save them for last.

Also, this episode's rewards were the Nightfall Armor helmet for Halo 5, and Harrigan's Family Crest (Wolf tattoo) as an emblem, which idk why anyone would want to represent that prick.

-Ryn

Banned
Thanks for the link dude.

Not sure how I feel about the thruster pack nerf. As it is now it's actually a useful part of a fight that can turn things around.

And at the same time they're telling us our feedback is valued and impactful. Right...
Just because someone doesn't use ALL of your feedback doesn't mean they aren't listening.

Hey guys and gals, I've been waiting to post for quite some time now.

I'm one of those oddballs who really likes sprint and had no problem with Reach (besides armor lock/sword block) and Halo 4. So I'm sure my opinion will fit in really well here.

I'm always on MCC trying to load a game so lemme know if anybody is down for a round or two.
Welcome to the war zone that is HaloGaf.
It's a wonderful place

I would lose my shit if there was a "Turn on/off reticle", and a big Spartan finger would reach up into the view and press that little button each time.

Would rival this from BF4.

HarmoniousDigitalBelugawhale.gif
I love that kind of stuff. Really brings me into the experience.

nillapuddin

I am not so against Sprint that I feel like having a blood spilled discussion about it

But I think it would be really interesting if they could do a week of Beta sans Sprint, Im not sure if the game is coded to be so modular, but if you really want to set the stage for every possible aspect of feedback, thats the biggest thing you can change.

Spartan Abilities are cool and whatever, as they change we will adapt without a big deal imo

Smart Scope and Sprint however, I would hope they are not so hard coded into the game that it is too difficult to atleast test how it works without them.

jem0208

Maybe they should make it so that when you engage someone in a fight you are "locked in" and can't leave until the fight ends?

Maybe make it so you can't move at all? Or can only move 3 feet from where you first shot the other player. Hell, why not load up a turn based battle like from Pokémon, except you can only attack and there's no option for tactical retreat? No one could ever run away then.

More seriously, I don't see why players should have to commit entirely to every battle they undertake. It's a tactical decision, if you realise there's no chance you can win this why shouldn't you attempt to escape? If you successfully manage to get away then either your opponent wasn't in a strong enough position to kill you anyway or they just weren't good enough to consistently hit you. Especially with the increased kill times in 5 and the lack of shield regen, if someone manages to run away from you and your team, you probably didn't deserve the kill in the first place.

Obviously not every battle should end with someone trying to run away, however from the footage we've seen and the impressions of people who have played the game, it doesn't appear to be an issue.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Don't worry guys I saved Halo:

CallofHalo2.jpg

Afghanistan moved to space, and we invaded it again?
Insurrectionists == insurgents ? HaloDad : #weback

Edit: rule 1 of design. If every suggestion about your feature includes ways to punish your user for using that feature, then you've fucked up.

daedalius

Pretty sure people just quit when it is uneven teams, which leads to more quitting, and shitty games.

Also party stuff is still totally broken, splitting up groups, not being able to back out of a playlist (which happens quite often considering how much matchmaking screws up)

I had 2 ok ranked games alone, where only 1 person quit from both of them. But after getting into a party, it was just a shitshow the entire time.

How is this game still so ridiculously broken?

Obviously not every battle should end with someone trying to run away, however from the footage we've seen and the impressions of people who have played the game, it doesn't appear to be an issue.

At least there is a balancing nerf that comes with it. All the pros, including Gandhi (who doesn't keep his mouth shut), has said that sprint in Halo 5 works because any skilled player will be able to take you out because of the faster kill times and the shields not recharging. Mikwen said everytime he tried to run away he died. They are also saying the maps feel balanced to accommodate sprint. I'm going to wait and see on it, but it sounds tolerable. Kind of like how Halo 3's equipment was tolerable.

We have to start looking at the game as a means for men and women to make money and if ADS and sprint will boost day one sales then I understand. It's just a game and I'm no business analyst.

I will sincerely miss old school Halo. Hope the MCC works so I can always return. I just have to let "getting classic Halo back" go.

Also Jem, despite all the extreme harshness and overwhelming rudeness of people here I sincerely appreciate your posts--even if I disagree with half of them.

Ragnarok, your incessant rude and antagonistic behavior is flat out childish and immature. You really do need to get a grip. If you acted like that in real life you would have no friends.

They're naive, or they played Reach and 4

Those games weren't very good compared to Halo CE/2 i agree with that. It doesn't mean they go back to Halo 2/3 completely. It won't work very long in todays market. At least i don't think so. We had our chance to see if it would with MCC but it came out fucking broken.

...I got excited for a second because I thought a map with rain had been leaked. Then I looked closer and was very disappointed.

I know, right?! Some goddamn variety. They should just stick a fucking unicorn and rainbow in Halo and call it a day. At least we don't have too many pew pew pew guns this time around. They actually made the SMG sound decent and not like a plastic toy.

I would agree if battles in Halo lasted only half a second. But isn't an average kill with BR about a second and a half? Within that time frame someone can make multiple decisions. Anything from pulling a melee, trying to goad someone into a ninja, no scoping someone, and many, many more options. Why not be able to run away? If you both have sprint or both are of equal speed surely you can run someone down if they choose to run away. Running away is always a tactical option.

I would agree if battles in Halo lasted only half a second. But isn't an average kill with BR about a second and a half? Within that time frame someone can make multiple decisions. Anything from pulling a melee, trying to goad someone into a ninja, no scoping someone, and many, many more options. Why not be able to run away? If you both have sprint or both are of equal speed surely you can run someone down if they choose to run away. Running away is always a tactical option.
Sprinting takes away any offensive capability from the person chasing. Unless you want to count this new spartan tackle thing. There have been a myriad of posts as to why Sprint is a bad idea in Halo.

Booshka

So, I play a lot of Dark Souls. Just had a really great speedrun of one of my favorite challenges, Meowcenaries. You have to try and beat the game as fast as possible on NG+ and beyond while wearing the Cat Covenant ring at all times, (except boss fights). Wearing this ring will get you summoned into random invasions at any time, if you lose, you restart at your most recent bonfire and have to progress again, if you win, you refill your Estus/spells and don't lose any progress.

I highlighted the whole run if anyone from HaloGAF wants to watch some crazy Dark Souls. It's an hour and 45 mins long.

http://www.twitch.tv/booshka/c/5608810

Sprinting takes away any offensive capability from the person chasing. Unless you want to count this new spartan tackle thing. There have been a myriad of posts as to why Sprint is a bad idea in Halo.

Let's all just not talk about getting rid of sprint. They want it in, but are taking feedback regarding it by tweaking it.

Classic Halo is gone as much as I hate saying it. I'm sick of being angered by it and I'm ready to just be as constructive about its inclusion as possible.

You have admitted that they weren't gonna take it out even before they confirmed they won't budge on its inclusion.

I think it's time we all give that fight up.

Totally. And I've read a good majority of them, but anyone can turn around and run in any battle. I simply think that the old school spartans felt too slow. You up the base speed and I'd be mostly satisfied. But the problem would still remain, anyone in a losing battle with half a brain can stop fighting and take cover. And if you chase them around a corner and walk into one of their grenades it's simply another way for someone to kill you. I don't think that means any one individual in that dynamic is any worse than the other but running away to kill another day is always a strategy.

Taking sprint out of the equation how fast do you think the spartans should feel?

Totally. And I've read a good majority of them, but anyone can turn around and run in any battle. I simply think that the old school spartans felt too slow. You up the base speed and I'd be mostly satisfied. But the problem would still remain, anyone in a losing battle with half a brain can stop fighting and take cover. And if you chase them around a corner and walk into one of their grenades it's simply another way for someone to kill you. I don't think that means any one individual in that dynamic is any worse than the other but running away to kill another day is always a strategy.

Taking sprint out of the equation how fast do you think the spartans should feel?

I think Ragnarok's rightful concern is that people will be able to run away still.

However from almost every source of feedback regarding Halo 5 seems to indicate this is no longer a problem. The faster kill times and shield recharge nerf seem to be working. It's obviously not as good as removing it completely, but at least there are good reports of it from some reliable sources.

Let's all just not talk about getting rid of sprint. They want it in, but are taking feedback regarding it by tweaking it.

Classic Halo is gone as much as I hate saying it. I'm sick of being angered by it and I'm ready to just be as constructive about its inclusion as possible.

You have admitted that they weren't gonna take it out even before they confirmed they won't budge on its inclusion.

I think it's time we all give that fight up.

Being constructive about something I hate is counter productive. Its not like they actually care about any feedback regarding sprint.

Madness

Maybe somewhere in between walking and sprinting is how fast they should move. It's hard because you need to put a lot of thought into movement speed. Especially with the new movement options.

Think about if you didn't sprint in Reach or Halo 4, how slow you were moving. A good reasonable speed should suffice, coupled with faster strafe speed to evade shots. People say sprint should always happen in BTB, I say why. Use the vehicles to get around the map. It's why they introduced super fast mongoose/gungoose. Ride brokeback like Bungie said and push towards weapons or control zones or objectives. Load up warthog.

I think the reason people want sprint now, is because they've really made the game slow. For some reason, I find myself wanting to sprint in Halo 3 as opposed to Halo 2 or CE for some reason.

I got all the terminals in H2 Anniversary, I have the 13 terminal achievements to show that...but the overall H2 Terminal achievement progress is still 12/13?

Maybe somewhere in between walking and sprinting is how fast they should move. It's hard because you need to put a lot of thought into movement speed. Especially with the new movement options.

Think about if you didn't sprint in Reach or Halo 4, how slow you were moving. A good reasonable speed should suffice, coupled with faster strafe speed to evade shots. People say sprint should always happen in BTB, I say why. Use the vehicles to get around the map. It's why they introduced super fast mongoose/gungoose. Ride brokeback like Bungie said and push towards weapons or control zones or objectives. Load up warthog.

I think the reason people want sprint now, is because they've really made the game slow. For some reason, I find myself wanting to sprint in Halo 3 as opposed to Halo 2 or CE for some reason.

I hear ya, and like I said if we got a much higher base speed that could evade shots we certainly wouldn't need a sprint, although a thruster may still help. But in the case of BTB I've always seen the vehicles disappear too quickly. And mongooses have always in my experience been deathtraps with very few instance of actual success.

I hear ya, and like I said if we got a much higher base speed that could evade shots we certainly wouldn't need a sprint, although a thruster may still help. But in the case of BTB I've always seen the vehicles disappear too quickly. And mongooses have always in my experience been deathtraps with very few instance of actual success.
Wait.. can it be? Are you..

Being constructive about something I hate is counter productive. Its not like they actually care about any feedback regarding sprint.

I'm just saying man...since we know that it isn't going anywhere (sprint is staying), then why constantly bring up why it ruins Halo? I don't want it in for a plethora of sane and logical reasons, but they refuse.

It's just not worth polluting this thread with it anymore. It feels good to not be so uptight about it because we just need to let it go man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom