• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

B365KGGCYAAOnmQ.jpg:large

:|
Jennifer-Lawrence-Makes-Gross-Face.gif

At least you can find matches in BTB :mad:

I've only been voting for CE and H4 lately ;]

H4 as part of this collection, when I have access to the other Halo games, is pretty fun IMO. When it was the only Halo game was when it a bigger problem. Not to mention, we have access to all the maps now. So basically what I'm saying is:
CE > H4 > H2/A > H3​

RSB

Banned
I've only been voting for CE and H4 lately ;]

H4 as part of this collection, when I have access to the other Halo games, is pretty fun IMO. When it was the only Halo game was when it a bigger problem. Not to mention, we have access to all the maps now. So basically what I'm saying is:
CE > H4 > H2/A > H3​
Honestly, when you take out all the crap (sprint, loadouts, AA's, etc) Halo 4 is not bad at all. The core gameplay feels really good IMO. Not as good as Halo CE, obviously, but I'd say it's at least on par with Halo 2.

Madness

I still prefer Halo 2 Anniversary so much more than Halo 4 legendary BR's even. No sprint and flinch alone make the gunplay and encounters much better. H2A just needed more maps for it to have been viable.

Ampoc

Neo Member
I still prefer Halo 2 Anniversary so much more than Halo 4 legendary BR's even. No sprint and flinch alone make the gunplay and encounters much better. H2A just needed more maps for it to have been viable.

It's probably because in Halo 2 Anniversary the BR actually feels like a BR, and the Halo 4 BR... I don't know... Seems floaty? That's how I just see it.

Onikaan

Three weeks and one day since this game launched and it's still the biggest disappointment in gaming I've ever experienced. There's a reason for that. If it had been a lesser thing (a new IP for example) no one would give two hoots and it would have quietly died in a dark corner. But it's not, it's Halo and not any Halo might I add. It is a bringing together of one of the finest Online Multiplayer experiences spanning almost 10 years, or at least that's what it was supposed to be. It really makes me sad that the legitimate hype surrounding this game has died, and so quickly. We're two patches in and nothing is better. Maybe on their side they can see small changes, but nothing groundbreaking and certainly nothing that has improved our own experiences. How!?

I would have been frustrated, but less so if the matchmaking was the only problem. A Bug in the system that you cannot find or even know exists until hundreds of thousands of people try to play your game all at once? I can see that. But it's not the only problem is it? I was suffering through the process of trying to get into a game with a friend last night and we counted how many issues we ran into from starting the game up, to finishing a match. Let me lay them out, if only for my own sake.

These are issues we ran into in one sitting.

1. Unable to join/have friends join your lobby. ( We spent 20 minutes restarting the game before we got settled)

2. Once you are successfully in a lobby with friends you are unable to find other players through various connection failure issues.

3. Once you are successfully in a pre-game lobby the game fails to enter the map loading screen when the map voting process is a draw.

4. Once the players have successfully chosen a map the game crashes in the map loading screen. This usually results in all players being kicked to the matchmaking lobby as a party which one player has control over. Also this occasionally requires a reboot of the game entirely as you cannot leave the players you are partied with.

5. Once the game has successfully loaded a map the game ends early for no reason or crashes randomly throughout. (Does this really have anything to do with networking? It's hard crash and it happens A LOT on the Halo 3 maps.)

6. Once successfully in a matchmaking game, there is a severe amount of lag or the game is hosted on a P2P network (not running on dedicated servers). This is noticeable when throwing grenades. Makes for a rotten experience.

7. Once in the post-game lobby, the game crashes or refuses to push players back into the matchmaking lobby, leaving them stuck in post-game lobby limbo.

8. The party you joined the matchmaking system with is split from you after the post-game lobby 100% of the time, resulting in another 20 minutes of trying to join each other.

One sitting, maybe an hour of time.

Yeah. I think 10% of my games of Halo 2 Classic have been on dedicated servers or I have the host. Halo 3 seems to be more successful in creating stable connections. Ironic. You know somethings buggered when Halo 3 feels better than Halo 2 classic.

For their flagship title and the series that has propelled the Xbox brand name, this simply isn't good enough. I know fine well I shouldn't even be playing the game in this state but nobody should! and that means it's unworthy of being out in the wild.

I really wish they'd recall the damn thing until it's sorted.

Being able to get away (which I believe is now much harder to do with the shield recharge mechanic) with sprint was only half of the problem that sprint brought to Halo. The other half was map size. Sprint forces 4v4 maps to be much bigger than Arena maps should be.

If you don't enlarge the maps the maps become broken. The only way around this is if you lower the base speed, but when you do that, strafing suffers. This is why you see Midship much larger than the ones in Halo 2 and 3.

There is no point in hoping for Sprint to be taken out. They would have to redesign maps built with Sprint in mind and that's just not going to happen.

m23

If 343 are dead set on Sprint in Halo 5 even before the beta, fuck them.

Well, as much as I prefer no sprint, I wasn't expecting them to take it out. Seems like the game is already built around it, especially the maps. At most they'll tune sprint somehow.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Probably pure coincidence but last night I played rumble slayer and got into games back to back within 30 seconds of entering the playlist each time...and this was for about five matches in a row. Yikes!!!

Feels good when it works. When it doesn't though, ugggh, just frustrates me to no end and I switch over to CODAW, because it works.

Akai__

Haha I'm on the 20th place on the scoring leaderboards for Co-op Legendary on The Maw, because of that Killionaire glitch.

I think others discovered the glitch as well. 1st place has 100k points on The Maw. :D

willow ve

After they fix MCC so it doesn't crash, split parties, close out in the middle of campaign levels, ad nasuem, do you think they'll actually update all the maps to be their latest matchmaking variant?

Welfare

After they fix MCC so it doesn't crash, split parties, close out in the middle of campaign levels, ad nasuem, do you think they'll actually update all the maps to be their latest matchmaking variant?

They will have to if they don't want to look even more incompetent.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Hopefully they fix it before Christmas. All those out there who will be getting MCC for Christmas are gonna be pretty pissed when they install the game and then find that matchmaking doesn't work.

willow ve

Hopefully they fix it before Christmas. All those out there who will be getting MCC for Christmas are gonna be pretty pissed when they install the game and then find that matchmaking doesn't work.

Working matchmaking is one thing.
"Halo just like you remember it" is quite another.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Working matchmaking is one thing.
"Halo just like you remember it" is quite another.

Yeah, that too. Their PR people need to seriously re-think a lot of their messaging in advertising because it's terrible.

Gamers are going to take things very literal, so when you say, "Halo, just the way you remember", us gamers are going to think...Halo CE Xbox version, not PC version. Likewise with Halo 2, etc.

This happened with Quake Arena Arcade on Xbox 360. Many people thought it would be Quake Live since it's technically the latest version of Quake, yet the game they released on Xbox 360 was pre-patch Quake 3....seriously...and they never planned and are never going to update the game to the latest version of post-patching Quake 3.

Who comes up with these bright ideas in the gaming business?

By the way, plasma rifle starts on Midship Halo 2 is just plain stupid. It's not fun. It's not entertaining. It's just stupid and a complete waste of time. I can't believe it's in this freaking game.

Mdot

So after getting my X1 last night, updated and MCC installed, I figured I'd try some MP. Was too excited not to give it a go. Pleasantly surprised, got in to 3 games in a row without much wait (still longer than it should be and had one unbalanced match), but the connections were great. Hope this is a sign of things to come. Was pretty blown away by the updated res and 60 fps. Felt so good to get some Halo 2 going. Of course the one CE map that came up (Hang Em High!) was vetoed for Blackout. Can't wait to keep playing though.

Is there anywhere I can add my gamertag to play with some Gaffers?

jem0208

Being able to get away (which I believe is now much harder to do with the shield recharge mechanic) with sprint was only half of the problem that sprint brought to Halo. The other half was map size. Sprint forces 4v4 maps to be much bigger than Arena maps should be.

If you don't enlarge the maps the maps become broken. The only way around this is if you lower the base speed, but when you do that, strafing suffers. This is why you see Midship much larger than the ones in Halo 2 and 3.

There is no point in hoping for Sprint to be taken out. They would have to redesign maps built with Sprint in mind and that's just not going to happen.
I have a feeling that without sprint thrusters would become a bit useless.

I think increasing the map size could have been due to thrusters. If you had lots of small corridors and spaces, thrusting would useless and annoying. You'd constantly be hitting the walls or flying off the edge of the map. Due to the increased map size, they could either up the base movement speed or add sprint. However if they were to just increase the base speed the strafe speed would also increase. Unless they nerfed strafing or made thrusters OP, the importance of thrusters would be decreased, at least on the ground. What would the point of a short burst speed be if you essentially achieve the same result just by strafing.

Obviously this is all just conjecture on my part and it could be complete rubbish. But I think it's logically sound
Also Jem, despite all the extreme harshness and overwhelming rudeness of people here I sincerely appreciate your posts--even if I disagree with half of them.

Hey, thanks man. It's nice to know that I'm not ignored even though I don't tend to agree with the common opinions around here. And contrary to what some people might think, that's not because I'm trying to kiss 343's ass.

Also I wouldn't give up hope on classic Halo yet. They may eventually fix the MCC, and when they do it's gunna be awesome.
Yeah, that too. Their PR people need to seriously re-think a lot of their messaging in advertising because it's terrible.

Gamers are going to take things very literal, so when you say, "Halo, just the way you remember", us gamers are going to think...Halo CE Xbox version, not PC version. Likewise with Halo 2, etc.

This happened with Quake Arena Arcade on Xbox 360. Many people thought it would be Quake Live since it's technically the latest version of Quake, yet the game they released on Xbox 360 was pre-patch Quake 3....seriously...and they never planned and are never going to update the game to the latest version of post-patching Quake 3.

Who comes up with these bright ideas in the gaming business?

By the way, plasma rifle starts on Midship Halo 2 is just plain stupid. It's not fun. It's not entertaining. It's just stupid and a complete waste of time. I can't believe it's in this freaking game.
Not to excuse 343 at all for not explaining what versions of the games we would be playing and for not including patches etc.

However the vast majority of people won't notice/care about CE being the PC version or that maps are like they were at launch. It's really not going to be a an issue for most people.

That's not to say it isn't a problem though. I just doubt there will be any outrage.

Welfare

At the very least put sprint on a game setting toggle.

343 giving us meaningful custom game options? PHFT Please.

I fully expect Halo 5 to have the least custom game options so we don't make better base stats and we have to play by 343's rules.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I believe I asked this before, but I can't remember.

Why does sprint have to be in Halo at all? What's the reason behind its design? Is it simply to be up to par with today's AAA shooter games? Is it to cater to players who are used to play COD and other sprint enabled games?

Where's the reasoning behind its design choice?

It makes sense in many games because it's been in most of those games from the very beginning, except COD didn't have sprint till after COD2.

Most of us Halo fans can state many reasons why sprint shouldn't be in Halo, but where's the reasons for its implementation in the first place?

The Halo 5 vidoc didn't state why it should be in Halo, the director simply said, "Many people don't think sprint belongs in Halo, how do we balance that?"

My question to you 343 is, why do you insist on sprint being in Halo in the first place? Are you being forced by MSFT to include it?

I'd really love to hear the for-sprint side of the argument.

Hell, if we have to have sprint, then I want fall damage back, no regen health, and bring back the health packs.

Why is a bigger map fundamentally a problem for an arena shooter though? If you can cover ground faster, it shouldn't matter. Distance and time are relative.

If you mean big open areas undermine the staple CQC gameplay of Halo, then I could agree. But that can be assuaged by more obstructions and well thought out lines of sight.

CliQ

Why is a bigger map fundamentally a problem for an arena shooter though? If you can cover ground faster, it shouldn't matter. Distance and time are relative.

If you mean big open areas undermine the staple CQC gameplay of Halo, then I could agree. But that can be assuaged by more obstructions and well thought out lines of sight.

Funny I think that Halos staple gameplay is the big open areas where battles happen.

Welfare

Why does sprint have to be in Halo at all? What's the reason behind its design? Is it simply to be up to par with today's AAA shooter games? Is it to cater to players who are used to play COD and other sprint enabled games?
Call of Duty

Call of Duty

It makes sense in many games because it's been in most of those games from the very beginning, except COD didn't have sprint till after COD2.

Most of us Halo fans can state many reasons why sprint shouldn't be in Halo, but where's the reasons for its implementation in the first place?
Call of Duty

The Halo 5 vidoc didn't state why it should be in Halo, the director simply said, "Many people don't think sprint belongs in Halo, how do we balance that?"

My question to you 343 is, why do you insist on sprint being in Halo in the first place? Are you being forced by MSFT to include it?
Call of Duty

Hell, if we have to have sprint, then I want fall damage back, no regen health, and bring back the health packs.
Nah. Fall damage can go suck it and health should recharge without health packs.

dwells

Don't worry guys I saved Halo:

CallofHalo2.jpg

Is that a ghillie suit?!? 11/10 343 HAS OUT-343'D 343'S LAST OUT-BUNGIEING OF BUNGIE WHILE ALSO OUT-INFINITY WARDING IW

I really wish they'd recall the damn thing until it's sorted.

Any other industry and that would be the expected thing to do. But Microsoft is instead continuing to run TV ads, and creating new promotions, like the $15 credit to people who buy the game this month. A nice big slap in the face to all the loyal fans who bought it at launch and paid full price for an unfinished train wreck.

In other news, I've been getting into games of Team Halo 2 Anniversary lately, which is surprising. Unfortunately they're almost always horribly laggy and with unabalanced teams, and I'm yet to play a single objective game. The voting system really needs to go, at least for ranked playlists. Otherwise every god damn game is Lockout slayer.

Been getting tons more crashes as of late though. At least four times last night where it locks up and makes a god awful whining noise of the last few milliseconds of audio sample being looped before the OS kills it and goes to dashboard. Also getting ones where it kicks me to a blank screen with only the roster option and no way to go back to the main menu, requiring a forced restart.

Best $400+ I've spent in a while, for sure.

Computer

It artificially speeds up the game in order to please ADD gamers.

The cons of sprint far surpass any non existing benefit.

Funny I think that Halos staple gameplay is the big open areas where battles happen.

Well I guess Halo is just good all around, although I personally enjoy more close-mid range combat that seems to make use of more sandbox elements rather than solely sniping or precision weapons. But my point still stands, a bigger area isn't worse if you have the means to travel through it faster; as long as it's done right.

dwells

Except it is fake speed. While sprinting, you can't do anything else, thus it doesn't really speed up the game. Also, since it facilitates easy escapes, it may actually slow down the game.

Should I challenge this guy even though I'm down a shot? Nah, I've got sprint, so I'll just run away and hide for a little bit and then try again!

Totally slows down the game. Combat isn't as forced and hectic when you can just bug out of there at the drop of a hat.

I have a feeling that without sprint thrusters would become a bit useless.

I think increasing the map size could have been due to thrusters. If you had lots of small corridors and spaces, thrusting would useless and annoying. You'd constantly be hitting the walls or flying off the edge of the map. Due to the increased map size, they could either up the base movement speed or add sprint. However if they were to just increase the base speed the strafe speed would also increase. Unless they nerfed strafing or made thrusters OP, the importance of thrusters would be decreased, at least on the ground. What would the point of a short burst speed be if you essentially achieve the same result just by strafing.

Obviously this is all just conjecture on my part and it could be complete rubbish. But I think it's logically sound

There is so much wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin.

Removing sprint would make thruster useless? What!?

Strafe would need to be nerfed if base movement speed was increased? What?!

What's the point of thruster if strafing is effective? I'm done.

When you say "bigger" maps, what you actually mean is "elongated" maps. Sprint only upscales maps horizontally, not vertically. This leads to the problem. Halo's maps are unique in that they can have multiple highly vertical structures in close horizontal proximity (see: Lockout or Midship or Prisoner or Damnation). Sprint forces maps to be scaled up horizontally, which pushes these vertical structures further apart, which destroys the way these maps play.

TheOddOne

Should I challenge this guy even though I'm down a shot? Nah, I've got sprint, so I'll just run away and hide for a little bit and then try again!

Totally slows down the game. Combat isn't as forced and hectic when you can just bug out of there at the drop of a hat.
Why would you challenge somebody if you knew you were down a shot? Strategically it would be smarter to regroup to have a chance to challenge later (or find another way to win). That isn’t really an issue that Sprint brings, that issue comes up regardless of it. I’m not going to engage a Sniper or somebody with a Rocket Launcher dead on, I’m going to find away to take that advantage away from them. Like I’ve been doing in Halo games for years.

If you sprint away from a battle now, at least, it is not some win button to escape it. You can’t shoot while running and your shield is going to take ages to recharge. For close combat, that is dangerous combination. Heck, it even encourages to stick it out instead of running away. For larger spaces? That could be an issue. Then again, BTB without Sprint has the same “problems”. The main problem is that because of Sprint, maps have to be tailored to it. The flipside of this, is that the maps become mini-BTB variants; bigger spaces that take away from close combat encounters and give more room for escape with Sprint. Now that is concerning.

Impala26

I know the whole "make your own game if you can do better" thing is dumb, but Im seriously surprised HaloGAF hasn't tried yet considering Engine software like UE4 is only $19 lol

It's an enormous undertaking.

Had to take the time to pimp this out to show that yes it indeed can be done, but sure enough can be a long time in the making...

TimeSplitters Rewind

Been revisiting TS2 thoroughly for the past 24 hours and DAMN... forgot what an amazing game it is! The Soundtrack alone is worth checking out...

Siberia
Chicago
Notre Dame
Mexican Mission

Even if you don't know these pieces, they likely sound "familiar" to you in some way. That's because they were composed by the great and much under-appreciated Graeme Norgate most notably associated as the composer of "Classic Era" Rare games Goldeneye 007, Blast Corps, Jet Force Gemini and Perfect Dark.

Haha, sorry for the shameless plug, but my nostalgia boner has been raging after rediscovering all this stuff and needed to share. Back in the day (early 00's) besides Halo, Perfect Dark and TS2 were my JAM!
XD

RowdyReverb

In regards to positives about sprint- the only times I wish I had it is when I'm slowly strolling across a wide open area with no enemies, weapons, or vehicles nearby. For instance, it's not fun to be stranded away from the action on Danger Canyon or Sidewinder and have to walk for 30 seconds just to see something to shoot at. The Sparrows in Destiny were actually a pretty elegant solution to this problem, but sprint kinda helps too. I think sprint is a bit unnecessary in more busy maps though.

The real answer to why it's there is because many potential buyers expect it nowadays. Releasing an FPS without sprint in 2015 is like releasing an FPS without jump in 2000. Pretty much every bestselling FPS game in the past several years has had sprint, and it hasn't gone unnoticed by 343 and Bungie.

jem0208

There is so much wrong with this, I don't even know where to begin.

Removing sprint would make thruster useless? What!?

Strafe would need to be nerfed if base movement speed was increased? What?!

What's the point of thruster if strafing is effective? I'm done.
If you take all the points out of context of course it doesn't make sense.

This is the basics of my thought process:

- Thruster = Larger maps
- Larger maps = Increased movement speed OR Sprint
- Increased movement speed = increased strafe speed
- Increased strafe speed = decreased importance of thrusters (*)
- Hence, increasing base speed may decrease importance of thrusters.
- Therefore sprint would be preferable, if you wanted to make sure thrusters were a core component of the game.

* I admit this point is probably very debatable.

Also like I said that post could be completely wrong. It was really just an odd train of thought I had which kinda made sense.

When you say "bigger" maps, what you actually mean is "elongated" maps. Sprint only upscales maps horizontally, not vertically. This leads to the problem. Halo's maps are unique in that they can have multiple highly vertical structures in close horizontal proximity (see: Lockout or Midship or Prisoner or Damnation). Sprint forces maps to be scaled up horizontally, which pushes these vertical structures further apart, which destroys the way these maps play.

How does pushing the vertical structures further apart ruin things? Especially if you consider the impact of Thrusters and clamber.

How in the fuck did you come to the conclusion that a brief boost in speed you can use once every ten seconds would increase map sizes in any significant way?

jem0208

How in the fuck did you come to the conclusion that a brief boost in speed you can use once every ten seconds would increase map sizes in any significant way?

*Once every 4 seconds.

It's very obvious. If you have small, tight corridors and spaces then thruster becomes useless. Any time you use it you'll collide with a wall or fly off the edge of the map. If you want thrusters to be a useful and core component of the gameplay, you need wide spaces to fly around in.

*Once every 4 seconds.

It's very obvious. If you have small, tight corridors and spaces then thruster becomes useless. Any time you use it you'll collide with a wall or fly off the edge of the map. If you want thrusters to be a useful and core component of the gameplay, you need wide spaces to fly around in.

Tight areas are where thruster would shine brightest. Thrusting in the middle of an open field isn't going to do much for you. Thrusting around corners, or out of the way of an enemy melee, or out of the way of an enemy grenade, all occur in close quarters. You have things backwards.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Had to take the time to pimp this out to show that yes it indeed can be done, but sure enough can be a long time in the making...

Did your impala lose so much hope in Halo that it went back to being a regular animal?

If you were trying to avoid being splattered by a Ghost, would you rather have Sprint or Thruster?

Armor Lock

Afghanistan moved to space, and we invaded it again?
Insurrectionists == insurgents ? HaloDad : #weback

Step aside Covenant, SISIS (Space ISIS) is here with even more extreme and edgy shouting in foreign languages and being human but brown so it's okay that they are bad (supplemented by bizarrely traitorous white men so you can also not feel bad about feeling okay about the brown people thing).

Halo 5: Gritty Edition will be the first Halo game with something to say.

The plot will be dark, mature, and complex and I daresay Clancy-esque in the subtle way it ties in geopolitical philosophy as you personally explode numerous world heritage sites.

I know, right?! Some goddamn variety. They should just stick a fucking unicorn and rainbow in Halo and call it a day. At least we don't have too many pew pew pew guns this time around. They actually made the SMG sound decent and not like a plastic toy.

Not a problem- in Halo 5: Modern Halo 2 (H5MH2) your starting weapons will be ripped from the future headlines, such as the K & H G336 and M116A44 and customizeable with grips, skins, scopes, lasers, bipods, tripods and so many fucking rails your balls will fall off, but it's okay because there's a perk for that!

Is that a ghillie suit?!? 11/10 343 HAS OUT-343'D 343'S LAST OUT-BUNGIEING OF BUNGIE WHILE ALSO OUT-INFINITY WARDING IW

The Spartan Ghillie suit is unlocked after staying in the same spot for several hours in-game and not moving (just like a real sniper!). Don't worry, it's an aesthetic only unlock, except on maps with grassy sniper patches, which is now all of them.

The fuck is this
The future bro. Ready to Space prestige?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom