• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a link for that? If it's true, then the "343 Pro Team" is pretty much all for show, which I sort of suspected.

Yeah man but I'm on my phone so it makes it hard. You can go to the halo 5 beta reveal thread on team beyond and Mikwen stated that.

Either way I wouldn't call them all for show because some pros are pretty vocal in their dislike for sprint.

It's just a matter of 343's design philosophy and vision. They don't want our feedback to change things like we want, they want it for tweaks to existing features it seems.

Sprint makes sense to the majority of players out there. We are by far the minority. We don't bring in the big bucks. They want Halo to appeal to the mainline crowd while giving e sports attention to make it competitively viable. It's too obvious now.

343 are selling a game (halo 5).

Your out of your fucking mind if you think they're gonna sacrifice sprint for the vocal minority.

Maybe we coulda proved them wrong with MCC having huge populations and a happy community. But they shit the bed on that one.

Sprints here to stay.

Impala26

A new Halo game without Sprint won't be as popular among the people who buy FPS games nowadays. It's become standard, like regenerating health, two main weapon limit etc etc

Weren't these two things, while maybe not INVENTED by, certainly POPULARIZED by the Halo series? Even OG Call of Duty had "old-fashioned" numerical-based heath.

Welfare

343 are selling a game (halo 5).

Your out of your fucking mind if you think they're gonna sacrifice sprint for the vocal minority.

Maybe we coulda proved them wrong with MCC having huge populations and a happy community. But they shit the bed on that one.

Sprints here to stay.

If not for the "vocal minority", Halo 4 would've died faster than it did. If it wasn't for the "vocal minority", we would still have armor abilities. If it wasn't for the "vocal minority", we would not get descope back. If not for the "vocal minority", we would not get HCS, spectator mode, and in game ranks.

Enough with that vocal minority shit, because if all we did was listen to the "silent majority", Halo would have already fallen into the abyss of trying to beat CoD at it's own game.

How does Sprint compliment the Golden Triangle of guns, grenades, and melees?

How does Thruster compliment the Golden Triangle of guns, grenades, and melees?

Welfare

How does Sprint compliment the Golden Triangle of guns, grenades, and melees?

How does Thruster compliment the Golden Triangle of guns, grenades, and melees?

With Thruster they could still let us shoot, throw grenades, and thrust forward for a melee.

Sprint not so much, because then there would be the argument of "Why not just be the basic movement speed?" and sprinting would just be redundant.

I heard CS: Go did really well on consoles. Oh wait...

I heard CS:GO on consoles had great advertising, constant updates to keep in line with the PC version and wasn't download only. Oh wait...

I want to completely devote myself to Halo and basically forget about CODs existence. This is going to be my number 1 FPS.

But I need some friends to play with. I wiped my XBL friends list clean so...anyone up for some H2A?

I used to be soooo good now I have to start from the bottom.

Ramirez

I heard CS:GO on consoles had great advertising and wasn't download only. Oh wait...

Whatever helps you sleep, bud. The Orange Box was a massive deal, and TF2 still didn't gain any traction on the 360. Just because it works on a PC, doesn't mean it's gonna work for average Joe console dude.

I don't even want sprint in Halo, but I'm intelligent enough to know that any console AAA shooter is 99% likely to have sprint & ADS in this era.

wwm0nkey

Remember guys, we do have options with games like Toxikk and Unreal 4 coming out. If you want to, you don't have to limit yourself to Halo anymore for that Old School Arena Shooter goodness.

If I were 343 I would make sprint the same speed as base speed but with visual tricks to make you think you are going faster.

A CoD kid will feel confortable and Halo players won't use it.

Weren't these two things, while maybe not INVENTED by, certainly POPULARIZED by the Halo series? Even OG Call of Duty had "old-fashioned" numerical-based heath.
Yeah that's why I mentioned them. Halo ain't the king anymore. With the MCC Halo is the fucking jester.

If not for the "vocal minority", Halo 4 would've died faster than it did. If it wasn't for the "vocal minority", we would still have armor abilities. If it wasn't for the "vocal minority", we would not get descope back. If not for the "vocal minority", we would not get HCS, spectator mode, and in game ranks.

Enough with that vocal minority shit, because if all we did was listen to the "silent majority", Halo would have already fallen into the abyss of trying to beat CoD at it's own game.
Halo 4 was dead on arrival breh. People have been complaining about SMG starts since 04, what did we get in 07? AR starts. What did we get in 14? SMG+AR starts.

Halo is already in the abyss of to to catch the cod crowd and make money. What the fuck are you even saying?

Fuchsdh

So you're complaining that 343 listened to a lot of feedback that you agree with, but didn't implement one bit of feedback, and thus they don't listen?

wwm0nkey

This.

Let's keep whining about sprint though, clearly making great progress.
Again, best progress would be to look at games like UE4, Toxikk and Cliffy B's new game. Not for a boycott, but if H5 really doesn't interest you, which looking at it a lot of people aren't. You should buy or play one of those games when they come out or the other few arena that are starting to appeaer.

Welfare

Whatever helps you sleep, bud. The Orange Box was a massive deal, and TF2 still didn't gain any traction on the 360. Just because it works on a PC, doesn't mean it's gonna work for average Joe console dude.

I don't even want sprint in Halo, but I'm intelligent enough to know that any console AAA shooter is 99% likely to have sprint & ADS in this era.

I mean, it's not like Valve completely abandoned the game because of MS's stupid $40k a patch rule and never updated the game. I mean, who would want to play an outdated version when you can get the newest on something else. And that was before TF2 being F2P.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Heh, I told Luke last night on Destiny it was just time for me to retire from games, nothing works, or disappoints the shit out of me, depressing.

It really is disappointing that now that I've grown up and have some cash, the industry's in a pretty shitty place.

Like I bought a console for Halo and look where that got me. At least Sunset was incredible.

Impala26

Again, best progress would be to look at games like UE4, Toxikk and Cliffy B's new game. Not for a boycott, but if H5 really doesn't interest you, which looking at it a lot of people aren't. You should buy or play one of those games when they come out or the other few arena that are starting to appeaer.

Like Fahz and I were talking about on the previous page:

That indie-made TimeSplitters Rewind game can't come out fast enough... A reboot of a classic game series like TimeSplitters would be such a splash of cold water to the face it'd be like a polar plunge. On the topic of old game series... WTF is Valve up to these days anymore?

Welfare

So you're complaining that 343 listened to a lot of feedback that you agree with, but didn't implement one bit of feedback, and thus they don't listen?

I'm saying that the "vocal minority" should not be ignored when talking about an aspect of the game. 343 listen, but they can be very stubborn.

Heh, I told Luke last night on Destiny it was just time for me to retire from games, nothing works, or disappoints the shit out of me, depressing.

It really is disappointing that now that I've grown up and have some cash, the industry's in a pretty shitty place.

Like I bought a console for Halo and look where that got me. At least Sunset was incredible.

Yes to both of these, but this stuff tends to be cyclical. The companies that are churning out unfinished or unpolished fill-the-bars crap will have to change. There are so many options out there vying for entertainment dollars that eventually the tide will turn and the crap-peddlers will have to adapt. Things are just going to suck until then.

RSB

Banned

But why? Why does this homogenization have to happen? Can't console gamers play more than one type of shooter or something?

Fuchsdh

I'm saying that the "vocal minority" should not be ignored when talking about an aspect of the game. 343 listen, but they can be very stubborn.

No one's ignoring them. All the recent hires, all the stuff in Halo 5 is a pretty big indication that that minority probably has a larger heft with 343 than pure numbers as consumers. Just because they don't agree with that minority on everything doesn't equal "ignore". "Listening to feedback" ≠ "Doing everything that feedback commands."

wwm0nkey

Like Fahz and I were talking about on the previous page:

That indie-made TimeSplitters Rewind game can't come out fast enough... A reboot of a classic game series like TimeSplitters would be such a splash of cold water to the face it'd be like a polar plunge. On the topic of old game series... WTF is Valve up to these days anymore?
Rewind should be really cool. But yeah PC is becoming an Arena Shooter playground slowly.

Hope Half-Life Death match on HL3 is cool too.

Celestia

Played a game on Turf and the enemy team managed to get outside of the map. Shame there's no theater mode for H2 Classic, I wanted to see how they managed it.

Played a game on Turf and the enemy team managed to get outside of the map. Shame there's no theater mode for H2 Classic, I wanted to see how they managed it.

Really? If I'm remembering right it's hard as hell to do. Can't imagine doing it in an actual match compared to something like Headlong or Foundation.

I mean I think we all agree about sprint to some degree, but it was one of the major talking points of disappointment when Halo 4 came out. They still haven't taken it out.

Honestly, if they make Halo 5 without sprint you know all the reviewers will point out that 343 "made Halo slow again" and "removing such a modern feature makes no sense especially when it was in the last two Halo releases."

Goldenboy was on a podcast with teambeyond.net and he refused to budge when it came to hitmarkers and sprint. He kept saying "it's what gamers today have come to expect. It's what will make them feel at home." It's sad that this is the current rationale, but all we can do is vote with our wallets. Most of us here bought halo 4 and we will probably still buy halo 5 anyways.

The Halo we all know and love is gone folks. I think we all know that. Hopefully Halo 5 is at least competetive enough to be taken seriously.

Hopefully Gears of War impresses.

Ramirez

I mean, it's not like Valve completely abandoned the game because of MS's stupid $40k a patch rule and never updated the game. I mean, who would want to play an outdated version when you can get the newest on something else. And that was before TF2 being F2P.

So what you're saying is, Valve didn't deem the audience worth the patch cost.

If games like CS & TF2 were viable money makers on consoles, why aren't more companies making them? Because they see the success of CoD, and realize that is what the majority of these owners want, and try to copy that as much as they can, to get the same dollars.

You're fooling yourself if you think MS cares about some nerds on a forum not wanting sprint. They probably also don't care that the population dies a few months later, they sold 10 million in one week, they got what they wanted. They also know that the vast majority of hardcore fans will buy the game regardless of what they put in there, they have us by the balls and they know it.

But why? Why does this homogenization have to happen? Can't console gamers play more than one type of shooter or something?

I'm sure they could, but would they sell as much as Halo/BF/CoD? Probably not, or you'd see more of them.

Onikaan

Were they out of the map or just up on the roofs? You can jump up onto the edges of the roofs which is fairly easy, but there's an invisible wall stopping you going any further. Back in the day you had to use sword flying to get through 'em.

Impala26

They probably also don't care that the population dies a few months later, they sold 10 million in one week, they got what they wanted.

This is the sad state of console shooters today. They've all become serialized. It's all about "play this game until you're bored of it" and then next year BAM new game, new guns, new stuff. Nobody's making shooters that will become "classics" with time anymore. Will anyone remember MW3 or CoD:WaW in five years? Does anyone even play them NOW?

RSB

Banned
I'm sure they could, but would they sell as much as Halo/BF/CoD? Probably not, or you'd see more of them.
Whatever the reason is, the homogenization of the FPS genre (on consoles at least) really sucks.

If I were 343 I would make sprint the same speed as base speed but with visual tricks to make you think you are going faster.

A CoD kid will feel confortable and Halo players won't use it.
LOL. That would be great.

Would be wasting one button on it, though, but still better than having real sprint.

jem0208

This is the sad state of console shooters today. They've all become serialized. It's all about "play this game until you're bored of it" and then next year BAM new game, new guns, new stuff. Nobody's making shooters that will become "classics" with time anymore. Will anyone remember MW3 or CoD:WaW in five years? Does anyone even play them NOW?

World at War is fucking amazing, Zombies on Nacht der Untoten is awesome and it deserves classic status for that alone.

Impala26

Another 2 pages of sprint discussion huh?

are-you-not-entertained.jpg

World at War is fucking amazing, Zombies on Nacht der Untoten is awesome and it deserves classic status for that alone.

Okay you got me there... that whole Nazi Zombies mode was a fantastic "WTF is happening right now? What is this? I don't even care this is amazing!" inclusion. Probably the most original thing to come out of the CoD franchise in the last 5-6 years.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
On the subject of sprint, I think it goes beyond just sprint. It comes to a discussion about Halo as a game itself. Is Halo as a franchise going to continue to just copy/follow the crowd or will it ever go back to being it's own game?

I can write a two-colum list of COD's features since 2007 and basically a majority of them have been incorporated into Halo in some way or form.

The equipment in Halo 3 was just the beginning of this need to change up the core Halo formula which at this point is virtually lost.

My ultimate question would be, what will Halo 6, 7, 8, etc be like? If it just keeps growing further and further away from core Halo, personally I'm just gonna pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom