• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the subject of sprint, I think it goes beyond just sprint. It comes to a discussion about Halo as a game itself. Is Halo as a franchise going to continue to just copy/follow the crowd or will it ever go back to being it's own game?

I can write a two-colum list of COD's features since 2007 and basically a majority of them have been incorporated into Halo in some way or form.

The equipment in Halo 3 was just the beginning of this need to change up the core Halo formula which at this point is virtually lost.

My ultimate question would be, what will Halo 6, 7, 8, etc be like? If it just keeps growing further and further away from core Halo, personally I'm just gonna pass.

Is a fair question. I think the only way its going to return to the glory of halo 1-3 is if sales determine making such a change. I'm guessing that will never happen as long as it's called "Halo." It's too much of a household name for it to not make money.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Is a fair question. I think the only way its going to return to the glory of halo 1-3 is if sales determine making such a change. I'm guessing that will never happen as long as it's called "Halo." It's too much of a household name for it to not make money.

I agree. The Halo brand will always sell. Even if the population dies off in a matter of months in a future Halo game, the initial sales will have been successful. Now DLC may take a huge hit if people no longer want to play the game, but I'm sure they will find a way to work around the potential financial losses of that.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
This finally came out eh? I'll definitely check it out.

Looks pretty good

That rec. hardware tho.

LFOZic5.png

UE4 is a hungry monster

I agree. The Halo brand will always sell. Even if the population dies off in a matter of months in a future Halo game, the initial sales will have been successful. Now DLC may take a huge hit if people no longer want to play the game, but I'm sure they will find a way to work around the potential financial losses of that.

Notice a lot of Dlc nowadays comes just weeks after release. Within 3 weeks to a month after bf4's broken release they were talking about how they have to postpone the Dlc because of bugs.

Seems most companies have Dlc ready to go before release even. You don't need a long lasting game to sell Dlc to sheeple.

Fuchsdh

Worst line in the game. Writing in Halo 3 is pretty cringe worthy. It hurts sometimes.

When the game is playing things in slow-mo during the cutscenes due to networking, the awkward pause after that line and the stunned reactions from the marines is pretty hilarious.

On the plus side, I think Bolding did as good a job with that line as could be expected. I think Julie Benz would have made it worse.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
How are parties working these days? I'm playing MCC and it's working decently well. Someone play with me.

Funny I think that Halos staple gameplay is the big open areas where battles happen.
Big open areas are great in Halo.
Yeah I was super disapointed Titanfall and Destiny didn't allow shooting accuratley while mobile
Agreed.
;)

On a related note I'd love to play another Halo 1 FFA, I actually enjoyed that.
Welcome back, the one true CHAMPION and SWORD SAVIOR of HaloGAF <3
How does Sprint compliment the Golden Triangle of guns, grenades, and melees?

How does Thruster compliment the Golden Triangle of guns, grenades, and melees?
Personally, I always found the labeling of this "Golden Triangle" bogus because it discounts movement as a pillar of Halo. Movement is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo important to Halo gameplay, yet Bungie never included it in that wonderfully publicized Golden Triangle. Maybe that's why movement's gone to poo in every game except Halo 4..

To answer your question though, Thrusters compliment the Golden Triangle because that allows them to increase kill times and make grenades useful since people can avoid engagements more easily than previous games. Since they seem to be lowering kill times and making the sandbox feel powerful, that also means they should adjust the aim assist to balance things out, so that it feels more skillful than the OP sandbox of Halo 4. Thankfully, several have commented on less aim assist, so let's hope that's the case.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
In one paragraph, explain what core Halo gameplay is to you? I'm really eager to see how everyone here actually views the core game of Halo. Feel free to be very specific, it helps.

Celestia

Really? If I'm remembering right it's hard as hell to do. Can't imagine doing it in an actual match compared to something like Headlong or Foundation.
Were they out of the map or just up on the roofs? You can jump up onto the edges of the roofs which is fairly easy, but there's an invisible wall stopping you going any further. Back in the day you had to use sword flying to get through 'em.

One of the guys was up high on a roof and was walking around with no problem. I tried recreating it in customs but no dice.

Movement is the Silver Triangle: Run, Jump, Crouch

Thruster compliments the Silver Triangle better than Sprint too.
lol I can play that game. Shooting is really the Platinum Triangle: Reticle stickiness, bullet magnetism, kill time.

Movement is arguably the most important aspect to a Halo game, so it deserves to be GOLDEN ;]

lol I can play that game. Shooting is really the Platinum Triangle: Reticle stickiness, bullet magnetism, kill time.

Movement is arguably the most important aspect to a Halo game, so it deserves to be GOLDEN ;]

I'm not even being facetious. This is the outline I look at Halo through most of the time:

Triangles

Silver: Movement - Run, Jump, Crouch

Golden: Attack - Gun, Grenade, Melee

Platinum: Gameplay - Sandbox, Player Traits, Maps/Gametypes

IHaveIce

Banned
Game works so well for me now( ofc Solo).

Played Halo 2A- Halo 2- Halo CE- Halo CE - Halo 3 after each other in multiplayer, this is how I expected it to be

Game works so well for me now( ofc Solo).

Played Halo 2A- Halo 2- Halo CE- Halo CE - Halo 3 after each other in multiplayer, this is how I expected it to be

It's frustrating...I had a game maybe every 3-5 minutes yesterday in Team Slayer (even though it was a lag freak show). Now I can't get a game at all with it sitting there for 30 minutes. I restart my Xbox, try other playlists...I have only been able to get into 2 games today and that's me trying all morning.

I'm just not going to bother anymore. It doesn't respect my time.

Tawpgun

In one paragraph, explain what core Halo gameplay is to you? I'm really eager to see how everyone here actually views the core game of Halo. Feel free to be very specific, it helps.

Overview: Two teams enter a map with the same abilities and fight to control power weapons and areas on the map that give them an edge on their opponents. They SHOULD start with an all around utlility weapon that is headshot capable. A weapon that one can adequatley defend and attack with. The other weapons on map are niche (in this instance, this is the best weapon to use) or power (this thing is gonna fuckin slay people )

Combat:
-Gunplay needs to be smooth and crisp. Reward weapons that are harder to use with more potential lethality. Precision is important.
-Movement needs to be quick and responsive. You should be able to outplay an opponenent with your moves.
-Melee same as always.
-Nades should be able to bounce well but should reward accuracy. No nuclear nades, Halo 2,3,4 are good.

Other stuff: clarity. Lots of good feedback. Maps not overly busy.
Vehicles - important for BTB, something to fight for.
Art style - clean and colorful

Overview: Two teams enter a map with the same abilities and fight to control power weapons and areas on the map that give them an edge on their opponents. They SHOULD start with an all around utlility weapon that is headshot capable. A weapon that one can adequatley defend and attack with. The other weapons on map are niche (in this instance, this is the best weapon to use) or power (this thing is gonna fuckin slay people )

Combat:
-Gunplay needs to be smooth and crisp. Reward weapons that are harder to use with more potential lethality. Precision is important.
-Movement needs to be quick and responsive. You should be able to outplay an opponenent with your moves.
-Melee same as always.
-Nades should be able to bounce well but should reward accuracy. No nuclear nades, Halo 2,3,4 are good.

Other stuff: clarity. Lots of good feedback. Maps not overly busy.
Vehicles - important for BTB, something to fight for.
Art style - clean and colorful

Sounds like Halo 5 to me.

;)

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
My 750 ti handled it pretty fine and that's a cheap GPU. Also those are recommend specs, minimum is

i5 processor
2GB RAM
GTX 570
DX 11

So pretty fair specs.

Wasn't saying it wouldn't run on lower hardware. UE4 stuff runs on my GT650m.

It runs a hell of a lot better on a 780ti though.

Guys I played a game of halo 3 on avalanche the other day and was mowing someone down from a hornet. As I finish the enemy player on the ground his teammate in their own hornet comes up behind me and starts laying into me.

I knew I stood no chance since he started the dog fight and fired the first shot. But in a moment of halo brilliance I decide to rush him straight on. I bailed out of my hornet right as my shields popped and held right bumper for dear life. And I fucking jacked that dude right out of that hornet just as the game ended. A mid air hornet to hornet jack, you can bet that video was saved.

So, yknow Halo 3 isn't that bad.

I need to wait and see with that honestly.

ADS breaks clarity for one.

I agree. If anything the overall inconsistency of the ADS animation doesn't make sense with the lore, nor does it really make sense with how they handle the sniper scope. There is no animation with the sniper scope, it just does the old school thing we like. However they decide to slap a red-dot/reflex scope on the BR which goes against 3 years of Battle Rifle design.

Honestly, if they have a toggle where you can use old school or the new ADS I don't see any disadvantages to it from a gameplay perspective or sales perspective. Sure, those that prefer ADS will have less screen space, but that's their choice. If they ever get good at the game and realize there is more to an FPS besides "ADS and pull trigger", then maybe they will disable it and become a believer.

*shrug*

I literally see nothing wrong with giving a player the option to use ADS smart-scope or the regular smart-link scope.

Guys I played a game of halo 3 on avalanche the other day and was mowing someone down from a hornet. As I finish the enemy player on the ground his teammate in their own hornet comes up behind me and starts laying into me.

I knew I stood no chance since he started the dog fight and fired the first shot. But in a moment of halo brilliance I decide to rush him straight on. I bailed out of my hornet right as my shields popped and held right bumper for dear life. And I fucking jacked that dude right out of that hornet just as the game ended. A mid air hornet to hornet jack, you can bet that video was saved.

So, yknow Halo 3 isn't that bad.
So you found a cookie in a pile of Triceratops poo, congrats.

XboxClips.com - post the link!

Honestly, if they have a toggle where you can use old school or the new ADS I don't see any disadvantages to it from a gameplay perspective or sales perspective. Sure, those that prefer ADS will have less screen space, but that's their choice. If they ever get good at the game and realize there is more to an FPS besides "ADS and pull trigger", then maybe they will disable it and become a believer.
Similar to different views when driving in games. If they did this, the noise would die down.

I may have missed it being posted but an insider spoke to Patrick Klepek (breaker of multiple stories, including the Xbox policy reversal last year, would personally know multiple people at 343) over at Giant Bomb on what happened with the MCC.

Nothing revelatory, but it does confirm some theories

-The entire project was super hot and stressed, project nature changed dramatically on short enough notice (which I think further corroborates the theory that initially it was just H2A before they decided to do all 4 MC titles, or rather than this decision was later than it might have previously seemed)
-They did not know it would be so fundamentally broken (for better or worse)
-"The test environment did not reflect what happened in the real world"

2:28:00 - 2:36:00

Similar to different views when driving in games. If they did this, the noise would die down.

DUDE! That's a brilliant comparison.

Some people prefer pulling the view outside of their car to get more viewing space...however there are players like me that like the cockpit view even though it technically gives me less screen space and less peripherals. I literally cut my effective FOV down because of a silly notion that I prefer my driving games to appear more realistic.

I'm gonna borrow that from now on. I really do think that this is something we should try to focus on with reaching out to 343 instead of sprint (since we know it's here to stay).

I may have missed it being posted but an insider spoke to Patrick Klepek (breaker of multiple stories, including the Xbox policy reversal last year, would personally know multiple people at 343) over at Giant Bomb on what happened with the MCC.

Nothing revelatory, but it does confirm some theories

-The entire project was super hot and stressed, project nature changed dramatically on short enough notice (which I think further corroborates the theory that initially it was just H2A before they decided to do all 4 MC titles, or rather than this decision was later than it might have previously seemed)
-They did not know it would be so fundamentally broken (for better or worse)
-"The test environment did not reflect what happened in the real world"

2:28:00 - 2:36:00
Conspiracy Theory: Microsoft used nktrnl to gauge interest before going full steam ahead.

Some people prefer pulling the view outside of their car to get more viewing space...however there are players like me that like the cockpit view even though it technically gives me less screen space and less peripherals. I literally cut my effective FOV down because of a silly notion that I prefer my driving games to appear more realistic.

I'm gonna borrow that from now on. I really do think that this is something we should try to focus on with reaching out to 343 instead of sprint (since we know it's here to stay).
They're ~1 year from release, I think it's fair to say it's something they should seriously consider, if they haven't already. What was that thing Frankie hinted at anyway, about the toggles? Was that ever explained?

And yeah CliQ, weapon attachments sound about right lol

Impala26

I really enjoyed this video as well...the dude speaks a lot of truth here IMHO. Of course I'm sure some of it is pure conjecture and hyperbole, but it was at least satisfying to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCC499Gf4DY

Agreed on the point that pre-orders are pointless. Ten plus years ago, there actually would be a limited supply of game discs day one that incentivized pre-ordering. Today there isn't that limited of supply of game discs and you always have the option for downloading digitally at ANY TIME. The only point to pre-ordering anything nowadays is the "exclusive pre-order bonuses" received at certain retailers, and more often than not, these are simply trivial cosmetic things anyway.

Other than that though, he starts veering off into preachy territory midway on. That video needed only be 8 to 10 minutes long, lol.

That said, Halo: MCC could likely be the last game I pre-order, save certain Nintendo releases like Pokemon or Legend of Zelda.
Or if they ever release a new legitimate Metroid game on the Wii U or even their next main console.

RSB

Banned

I asked Frankie if they were going to include at least the option to use the classic scope, and he said:

Certainly not in beta. But try it, coherently complain. Who knows? Dec 29.

What was that thing Frankie hinted at anyway, about the toggles? Was that ever explained?

Pretty sure he meant that you could use the typical "toggle" click on the joystick to scope or the Call of Duty "hold left trigger" to scope in.

Agreed on the point that pre-orders are pointless. Ten plus years ago, there actually would be a limited supply of game discs day one that incentivized pre-ordering. Today there isn't that limited of supply of game discs and you always have the option for downloading digitally at ANY TIME. The only point to pre-ordering anything nowadays is the "exclusive pre-order bonuses" received at certain retailers, and more often than not, these are simply trivial cosmetic things anyway.

Other than that though, he starts veering off into preachy territory midway on. That video needed only be 8 to 10 minutes long, lol.

That said, Halo: MCC could likely be the last game I pre-order, save certain Nintendo releases like Pokemon or Legend of Zelda.
Or if they ever release a new legitimate Metroid game on the Wii U or even their next main console.

Yeah, preordering nowadays is a farse. I haven't had to preorder a "hot new AAA game" in several years. I remember walking in and picking up Halo Reach on launch night without even a problem.

Don't bring up Nintendo. I had to sell my 3DS the night of the Majoras Mask announcement. I also sold my Wii U that night... =(

I asked Frankie if they were going to include at least the option to use the classic scope...

Well that's disappointing...however I do think it's one of the more reasonable things that the community could mention. It's not a game changer like removing sprint or clamber (not that removing those things would be bad, just sayin).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom