• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

FYI: If you play Halo 3 and access the terminals, make sure you wait until you get blocked off otherwise you won't get the achievement.

I was tempted to just access it and leave because I spent years reading this stuff and 343i has ruined any mystery there was. But I didn't get the achievement. So I had to go back

-Ryn

Banned
Halo 5 Beta OT : Pushing the Community to the Brink
tumblr_lylhpdoNN31qldgav.gif

EZBREEZ
I'm liking how many people are noting their enjoyment of CE's gameplay :']
Said it before and I'll say it again. Good games never become any less good. You can't outdate fun.

BradC00

Im watching a fellow gaffer do the LASO on Halo: CE level Halo...yo man...wtf. he's died in the same checkpoint like 50 times. rofl.

Madness

Nah bro, Pistol sniping across the map bro. Bro, don't you know bro? OP Pistol bro, takes no skill to land shots from a distance.

EZBREEZ
I'm liking how many people are noting their enjoyment of CE's gameplay :']

In the 3 MM matches I've played on CE, don't think I've been able to do a single 3sk. Even though I'm able to out shoot others, get killing sprees, I'm having so much difficulty landing my headshots again.

The nostalgia is the craziest part. It literally feels like yesterday I was spending all day just doing splitscreen matches etc. CE was missed definitely. Just pure simple classic Halo. It's funny I found myself trying to sprint in H2A, Halo 2 but not CE.

Akai__

Changed my GT to AkaiGAF.

Add me and let me know if you did so I can add you back.

GT list should be added to the OP, by the way.

I5CharactersMax

Neo Member
I get it. I finally get it, the frustration, anger and bitterness of the CE guys over what's happened with the series since Combat Evolved. I played my first game of CE and thoroughly loved it, I got completely dominated as I had no idea what to do, but it was fun. If only there were a CE only playlist, I wouldn't touch any other part of the game.

Heads up, Halo 3 still has the 2008 theatre bug where the reticle doesn't render in recorded clips. Bungie eventually fixed that so I expect the same from 343.

I get it. I finally get it, the frustration, anger and bitterness of the CE guys over what's happened with the series since Combat Evolved. I played my first game of CE and thoroughly loved it, I got completely dominated as I had no idea what to do, but it was fun. If only there were a CE only playlist, I wouldn't touch any other part of the game.
It's happening.

-Ryn

Banned
CE is kickass. Used to play with my siblings all the time and occasionally bring some friends over for matches. Didn't ever get to really do LAN parties but holy shit was it a good time.

Heads up, Halo 3 still has the 2008 theatre bug where the reticle doesn't render in recorded clips. Bungie eventually fixed that so I expect the same from 343.
Nice catch dude.

willow ve

The amount of game updates the left out (noticeably in Halo 3) is baffling. It honestly looks like whatever studio was in charge of the Halo 3 port/upgrade/whatever just took the original disc game and said "this is it." How did they not realize there were multiple updates to the game? How dose this package get worked on for years (months?) and no one ever thinks "Hey, that's not where rockets are supposed to spawn on this map!" or "WTF is flare doing in matchmaking?"

I mean seriously - if you're going to update the games for Xbox One at least update the latest version of the games. Game really sounds half assed.

I5CharactersMax

Neo Member
CE is kickass. Used to play with my siblings all the time and occasionally bring some friends over for matches. Didn't ever get to really do LAN parties but holy shit was it a good time.

Its wonderful, now if people i match would stop choosing H3 & H2a over it, that would be grand...

The amount of game updates the left out (noticeably in Halo 3) is baffling. It honestly looks like whatever studio was in charge of the Halo 3 port/upgrade/whatever just took the original disc game and said "this is it." How did they not realize there were multiple updates to the game? How dose this package get worked on for years (months?) and no one ever thinks "Hey, that's not where rockets are supposed to spawn on this map!" or "WTF is flare doing in matchmaking?"

I mean seriously - if you're going to update the games for Xbox One at least update the latest version of the games. Game really sounds half assed.

Does Halo 3 include the first title update that "fixed" the mêlée system?

Ein Bear

Is halo saved yet?

It's getting there:

dwells

Nah bro, Pistol sniping across the map bro. Bro, don't you know bro? OP Pistol bro, takes no skill to land shots from a distance.
Ever notice how the people who complain about the pistol being overpowered and unbalanced are also the same people who can't land a three shot kill to save their life? I'm sure that's just coincidence.

In the 3 MM matches I've played on CE, don't think I've been able to do a single 3sk. Even though I'm able to out shoot others, get killing sprees, I'm having so much difficulty landing my headshots again.
Right?! I've pulled off a couple three shot kills at most, and I used to be decent at that game. The pistol is a hard weapon to use - just because you've got a red reticle doesn't mean your shots are going to hit, and aim assist is minimal. You seriously need to take time to line the thing up with each shot.

Somehow there's still plenty of people whining about how you just point it at the direction of a bad guy and pull the trigger three times and win, though...

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Thank god. Hopefully others who have never exp hce multiplayer will see the light. The series has progressively gotten more accessible for the sake of being accessible, while placing the core halo concept on the back burner.

The first signs were the hce to h2 transition, no fall dmg, regen health, no health packs, more auto aim, auto lunging, more sticky aim, longer ttk (time to kill), and much much more. Halo 3 imo was the worst, tho reach and h4 didnt make it any better.

Hopefully more people will understand the need for a utility weapon as the default starti g weapon across all modes. Smg starts for example are not the right way.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Ever notice how the people who complain about the pistol being overpowered and unbalanced are also the same people who can't land a three shot kill to save their life? I'm sure that's just coincidence.

Right?! I've pulled off a couple three shot kills at most, and I used to be decent at that game. The pistol is a hard weapon to use - just because you've got a red reticle doesn't mean your shots are going to hit, and aim assist is minimal. You seriously need to take time to line the thing up with each shot.

Somehow there's still plenty of people whining about how you just point it at the direction of a bad guy and pull the trigger three times and win, though...

A lot, well let me say, a majority of the pistol haters never even played hce. They just read on paper it can do a 3sk...as if thats the norm every fucking time....

FyreWulff

Sounds like 343 could make good use of inventing a position where the person's job is "matchmaking lore", or legacy sustain historian/custodian, where they oversee and check this kind of stuff.

Ruffian was probably just given the last codebase for 3, but not the matchmaking files - which would be somewhere else. So you end up with post-TU H3 (since it has hooks to award Annual) but vanilla-launch H3 Forge map variants.

And we're also missing Pit Stop, SANDTARP, Boundless and Epilogue. From what I can tell.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Halo is in a state of both saved and not saved.

Dedicated playlists really need to happen soon. Before the beta at least.

Last night from 6pm cst to 9pm cst, i couldnt get multiplayer to work, and hell, even custom gsmes werent working for me. I played campaign all night... Really frustrating.

Then this morning, i was able to play one mp game before goi g to work.

343s update is shit. Its still broken.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Sounds like 343 could make good use of inventing a position where the person's job is "matchmaking lore", or legacy sustain historian/custodian, where they oversee and check this kind of stuff.

Ruffian was probably just given the last codebase for 3, but not the matchmaking files - which would be somewhere else. So you end up with post-TU H3 (since it has hooks to award Annual) but vanilla-launch H3 Forge map variants.

And we're also missing Pit Stop, SANDTARP, Boundless and Epilogue. From what I can tell.

At least we got post patch h2, can you imagine pre patch br fights?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...on/e024f78f-6022-4a49-99ea-67562ec5b4ca/posts

11.12.14 7:04 PM Update
We have identified that our 11.12 morning server-side update has improved matchmaking times for many users, while others are still seeing longer than expected times.

This evening we plan to deploy additional server updates that will improve searching times and increase the likelihood of players finding games. The update will allow more players to enter matches, which may result in larger team sizes (5v5 instead of 4v4, for example). Occasionally, this may result in uneven teams, and we continue to work on this issue.
===

Sorry, still not working.

dwells

I think the game freezing and needing a force quit after matchmaking is my favorite feature so far.

I did play some CE customs with two friends last night though. Took us over twenty minutes to get into the same game due to issues with the roster and it reporting us as full/not joinable, but it eventually worked. CE's gameplay holds up great.

TheXbox

Well it's good to see that things are actually looking up right now

If the population jumped way up after the servers were fixed but eventually petered out then I can see thinking it's because the Halo formula needs an update. However...

343 would be stupid to think this since the vast amount of bugs seem to be a pretty big problem, so of course a lot of people would leave depending on how long it takes to get them all fixed. I know you weren't saying that you want the population to tank or that it was going to eventually.

I was also pointing out that it's absurd to think they don't care about the MCC population even though they've shown so much to the contrary. They didn't have to go nearly as far as they have with the MCC. Just a year ago the very thought of a full collection ported over to the One with 60 FPS, 1080p, and a full revival of the multiplayer for each game was considered a pipe dream. However here we are with a kickass collection. Yeah it had a bad launch but it's apparent that 343 are on fire trying to get everything in working order.

Does this excuse all the issues with the game? No. It's totally justified to be upset. However some of the accusations people have been throwing around are just bullshit.
You're right, it was dumb to word it the way I did. They care. It goes without saying Halo 5 is obviously a priority. I guess we'll see how the population shakes out. I think the game will do really well, but without the bugs this package is a tremendous focus test that 343 can and will use to see where in the series people are trending. If anywhere. Right now it means fuck all, but, you know, later.

Nirvana

Are the skulls not meant to activate when you pick them up in Halo 2 now? Was doing my Legendary run and picked up the Envy skull only to discover it doesn't actually do anything. Not sure if intentional or a bug, but it is going to make High Charity more of a pain in the balls regardless...

Also if Onya etc. are running customs again I'd love an invite at some point, the only match I found today was one 3v4 BRs on Guardian...we were the 3. Wasn't fun.

I really hope they fix these server issues soon, they have what is basically my dream game right there, but it's behind this giant wall of problems. Campaign has been fun at least, although there are some weird bugs with models and sound.

The models will disappear and reappear occasionally, and the sound sometimes gets incredibly loud for no reason (especially the BR).

willow ve

I know they've done better than some other long standing communities, but it really would help to have more of a sustain team presence. That team should be required to actually play a few hours of matchmaking every week in whatever game they're currently still sustaining. To be fair it was/is really hard to figure out the latest iteration of disc based maps for Halo 3. The only way I know of getting them today is to save a game after getting the map in current Halo 3 matchmaking (there's no place to download them individually).

SPEAKING OF WHICH - this is something I harped on all the time over on Bungie.net, but if you're going to update a disc/launch map for fuck's sake give it a version number in the map title. It makes it literally impossible to figure out what version of weapon spawns etc. are currently used in matchmaking when every single file is just called Guardian (for example). Really should start naming the updates Guardian v.01, Guardian v.02, et. al.

Giving maps a version number (post launch) ensures you can easily download maps and use them in custom games or on LAN. It's really jarring to go from Narrows in Halo 3 matchmaking (version 8ish) to Narrows on the Halo 3 disc. Weapons are in completely different spots. Equipment is different. It's ridiculous.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
In the consumer market place, its no holds barred. You cant be sympathetic to the producer of a product, the consumer is the buyer, thus the consumer has every right to complain and sling mud till the product is 100% corrected.

Too many people do the "feel sorry" for them bs... Neex to step back and look at the big picture.

No one doubts theyre working on the issues, but the messaging is flawed. I read their update as its semi fixed... They need to do better explaining.

Again, what about the avg gamer? How do you think they feel about halo right now?

Fuchsdh

In the consumer market place, its no holds barred. You cant be sympathetic to the producer of a product, the consumer is the buyer, thus the consumer has every right to complain and sling mud till the product is 100% corrected.

Too many people do the "feel sorry" for them bs... Neex to step back and look at the big picture.

No one doubts theyre working on the issues, but the messaging is flawed. I read their update as its semi fixed... They need to do better explaining.

Again, what about the avg gamer? How do you think they feel about halo right now?

The "big picture" is this is a video game. You can return it for a refund, go outside and get some fresh air and a healthy dose of perspective. The world is not ending.

willow ve

The "big picture" is this is a video game. You can return it for a refund, go outside and get some fresh air and a healthy dose of perspective. The world is not ending.

What part of "this is a video game" precludes the consumer from complaining about the product?

If I get bad yogurt I get a refund - am I not allowed to complain?
If I have a delayed flight and get refunded - am I not allowed to complain?
If a mobile phone isn't fully functional and I get a refund - am I not allowed to complain?

I agree that criticism should be constructive in nature and should seek to inform the developer that certain things need to be fixed, but to voice that the big picture is paramount and everyone should just go outside and gain some perspective is a bit of a slight to the consumer.

dwells

See that part really upsets me. This was supposed to be Halo's rebirth and was going to introduce a new generation to Halo. Not exactly the best impression.

I was hoping this game would have a healthy population for a while, but I'm afraid all this is going to damage it.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Im more pissed about their messaging of providing updatea. They say they deployed a fix server side that has improved matchmaking times for some... That is so freaki g vague.

I want more detail so that im not wasting my time hoping the game works. Were in day three, the game on a multiplayer level does not work.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Im more pissed about their messaging of providing updatea. They say they deployed a fix server side that has improved matchmaking times for some... That is so freaki g vague.

I want more detail so that im not wasting my time hoping the game works. Were in day three, the game on a multiplayer level does not work.

My interpretation is, since it's very difficult to test a fix in a live environment without simply applying it to everyone, that they're just going to keep trying things until it works.

Omni

Oh man, the remastered music on the Banshee section of The Arbiter is... really bad.

I didn't mind that one.

What they did to the Coliseum fight is atrocious, however. First up, the room is practically a Christmas tree. Ruins any mood that it had before. And the new song? What the hell were they thinking. It's just noise.

That part was literally the only time in the campaign I had to switch back to classic graphics to play through it because the changes only reminded me how much they fucked it up. Also every time I saw Cortana but that was never more than a few seconds (apparently she put on 50 pounds and is a man in Halo 2:A. Who knew?)

Fuchsdh

Oh man, the remastered music on the Banshee section of The Arbiter is... really bad.

I dunno. I like it, but tonally it's a huge shift from the Incubus stuff. It feels a little too leisurely, almost, for the section it's in.

You aren't a networking expert. Neither am I, neither are 99% of players. Technicalities aren't going to make anyone feel better. The proof is in whether or not matchmaking gets better; it has for some, not for others, so obviously they haven't fixed all or most of the problems yet. I'm sure once they've addressed the problem for the vast majority of people they'll sound an all-clear; it's not like you have to keep bashing your head against it.

Honestly if it is going to be a week before I can play MCC then fine I'll wait, but fucking just tell me 343. I just want to know. Stop this vague BS and give us a timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom