• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

I dunno. I like it, but tonally it's a huge shift from the Incubus stuff. It feels a little too leisurely, almost, for the section it's in.

Yeah, maybe. I suppose it wasn't that bad. Definitely didn't fit that section of the level though. I kept switched to classic to hear that Incubus riff.

Damn, the sentinel beam destroys the flood.

This whole fiasco is putting a serious dampener on my Halo 5 hype too. How am I supposed to have faith in 343 after what they did to Halo 4 multiplayer and the shambles of MCC?

FyreWulff

Im more pissed about their messaging of providing updatea. They say they deployed a fix server side that has improved matchmaking times for some... That is so freaki g vague.

I want more detail so that im not wasting my time hoping the game works. Were in day three, the game on a multiplayer level does not work.

Technical details aren't going to really help players when all the control they have is entering or exiting matchmaking.

I'll give you the technical version of a certain Halo game being updated.

"New playlist added. Arbitration has been adjusted to ignore player participation and UGC is heavily presented in this list. Skillmatch has been set to low priority while boosting connection match."

Guess which game and which playlist that is. I don't even expect many players to know what the arbitration server did in that game either, or even knew the arbitration server existed.

Omni

This whole fiasco is putting a serious dampener on my Halo 5 hype too. How am I supposed to have faith in 343 after what they did to Halo 4 multiplayer and the shambles of MCC?

I expect H5 to be fine.

I believe that this project was just reaching too far into the stars. The fact that like 7 different companies were involved tells you all you need to know. It was going to be a mess from day one.

Raide

They have made Forge more interesting to use but replacing everything with concrete blocks makes things even more grey. 343 have still not learned enough about what Forgers want. I am hoping Halo5 makes more of a push.

jem0208

I expect H5 to be fine.

I believe that this project was just reaching too far into the stars. The fact that like 7 different companies were involved tells you all you need to know. It was going to be a mess from day one.

Yeah, I've seen this a couple of times. I really don't think this is at all indicative of how 5 will go, if anything it's going to make 343 work even harder making sure it won't happen again.

They have made Forge more interesting to use but replacing everything with concrete blocks makes things even more grey. 343 have still not learned enough about what Forgers want. I am hoping Halo5 makes more of a push.

Pretty sure Certain Affinity made forge. Anyway, I agree completely. I'm actually really annoyed that they just took the Reach forge palette. I wish they had incorporated the new stuff from 4 as well. The space station pieces would have been incredibly useful for my zombies map... :/

antigoon

Since I made that salty post about how HaloFest looked bad in light of all the issues here's a silver lining:

All this matchmaking nonsense has actually brought back the feel of running H2 customs back in the day when there was no party chat and people were less isolated in their existing friend bubbles. To the extent the custom games have worked, it's been really fun.

Raide

Yeah, I've seen this a couple of times. I really don't think this is at all indicative of how 5 will go, if anything it's going to make 343 work even harder making sure it won't happen again.

Pretty sure Certain Affinity made forge. Anyway, I agree completely. I'm actually really annoyed that they just took the Reach forge palette. I wish they had incorporated the new stuff from 4 as well. The space station pieces would have been incredibly useful for my zombies map... :/

Ahh my mistake. Still not sure why they let SA do Forge. Really weird choices.They do some good additions and still don't give enough options. I also miss those station pieces. All these concrete blocks makes maps look even more artificial than they did before.

Omni

I've come to the conclusion that I just don't like Halo 2 online any more.

Even on dedicated servers it's pretty bad for me. Hit detection seems to be an annoying problem that won't go away. It was great for its time and I enjoyed it 10 years ago. But... meh. Halo CE holds up. Halo 3 holds up beautifully on dedicated serves. Halo 2... just feels like a clunky middle ground with glitches.

jem0208

Ahh my mistake. Still not sure why they let SA do Forge. Really weird choices.They do some good additions and still don't give enough options. I also miss those station pieces. All these concrete blocks makes maps look even more artificial than they did before.

Yeah, I'd much rather have the silver grey metal blocks than the brown concrete. Even the walls are brown.

From a functionality point of view, the new forge is fantastic, however the aesthetics are quite poor.

Even on dedicated servers it's pretty bad for me. Hit detection seems to be an annoying problem that won't go away. It was great for its time and I enjoyed it 10 years ago. But... meh. Halo CE holds up. Halo 3 holds up beautifully on dedicated serves. Halo 2... just feels like a clunky middle ground with glitches.

Halo 3 is so, so, so good.

SMG and AR starts suck though.

I didn't know this game's errors can cause your Xbox to hard reboot lol.. Is playing this game dangerous for the hardware? It just happened to me and a friend after finding a 4v4 TS match on Damnation ;'[

EDIT:

Even on dedicated servers it's pretty bad for me. Hit detection seems to be an annoying problem that won't go away. Halo 3 holds up beautifully on dedicated serves.
Damn.. that's some Twilight Zone shit.

Dub117

After being poor and not having XBL for Halo 2, only playing CE and 2 on LAN with friends and some local tournaments, and therefore only playing Halo 3 and above online, I have some thoughts. To me it seems there is a greater skill gap in Halo 2, though most people on here say the opposite right? I mean in CE I can grenade spam and blow people back from me (or just kill them outright) where in Halo 2 it is a lot more reliant on gunplay. And you HAVE to be good with the BR in H2 because the SMG sucks ass, in CE the AR can hold its own, at least more so than the SMG. Am I off base? Or crazy?

Raide

Yeah, I'd much rather have the silver grey metal blocks than the brown concrete. Even the walls are brown.

From a functionality point of view, the new forge is fantastic, however the aesthetics are quite poor.

Halo 3 is so, so, so good.

SMG and AR starts suck though.

Agreed.

They have done a great job making the rocks etc blend together but they grey stands out too much. Really hard to make a map look natural. They really need to be adding options to Forge where we can pick between the UNDC style, Covenant style and Forerunner. Hell, throw me some flood and organic options.

Nirvana

I dunno. I like it, but tonally it's a huge shift from the Incubus stuff. It feels a little too leisurely, almost, for the section it's in.

I don't dig it. It reminds me of Phantasy Star Universe, sounds very JRPG. Although it does also have the feel of new Incubus (sounds like a few tracks from Crow Left of the Murder). I say new but I just mean in relation to Halo 2 days. Is it not Incubus? Just some original track or something?

God I can't wait until this game works...

Omni

EDIT:
Damn.. that's some Twilight Zone shit.

Haha.

I don't know. I wasn't expecting it. I had to endure years of Halo 3 on a yellow bar connection and shots not registering. But the game feels completely different with servers. Amazing even. Also I like projectiles. I think that if you have dedis, then hitscan weapons need to go.

antigoon

Huh, interesting. "clunky" is definitely a word I would use to describe Halo 3

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Honestly they should have gotten Incubus back to remaster their track. I'm usually not big on well known bands on video game soundtracks but they nailed the pacing and tempo for that level, and their entire four segments of the Odyssey were fantastic. My only nitpick is they could have done without the "follow" lines dropped into the first segment.

Impala26

Posting this now because after that awesome customs night, I passed straight out without even checking GAF... XD

You should all watch that clip I posted

Also who was Impala? Because I am sorry lol

I'm sad now because I can't view the site on my phone... :-(

Love the map, but that was not my game in particular, the train killed me two if not three times--once in the (stolen) Gauss and once while I was in the station, anticipating it, and it STILL clipped me to my death.

I <3 U Terminal

OP as holy fuck. I totally took the bait on spawn with the sword placement being directly in front of me. I ran for it forgetting that the train was such a beast and it took me out before the button could register.

My strategy was always to walk on the left-hand track based on your orientation because that way you could always see if the train was coming straight in front of you. Going for the sword (or even the Overshield on the other end) on Terminal was my BANE.

Fuchsdh

Honestly they should have gotten Incubus back to remaster their track. I'm usually not big on well known bands on video game soundtracks but they nailed the pacing and tempo for that level, and their entire four segments of the Odyssey were fantastic. My only nitpick is they could have done without the "follow" lines dropped into the first segment.

Yeah I dunno why they didn't. Obviously Breaking Benjamin imploded so that was always going to be a nonstarter (and apparently Microsoft or whoever not being smart about the original licensing), but it would have been nice to keep that continuity where possible.

matthieuC

I think it's a great pallet. Finally some cohesion like sandbox had.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Can someone add the customs list, i need to play actual matches, i know mming wont work when i get iff work this afternoon

I played Multi Flag CTF on Sandtrap last night... It was pretty fun, mostly because of the Brute Chopper, but the BR sucks at long range.

jem0208

I was just looking at the different avatar options, and I noticed how awful Cortana looks in 3 and 2. Halo 4's Cortana model is by far the best IMO.

Impala26

What time were you guys playing customs?

Thanks everyone for joining Customs tonight, started with a small group on Chill Out in CE and had 10 people at one point playing Halo 2. It was a ton of fun, more to come tomorrow night, probably start around 10 again.

#WeBack

We were playing last night approximately 9:30pm to 1:30am EST

I HIGHLY recommend anyone who's frustrated with matchmaking come join us for customs. Like, I know there's a lot of despair about Matchmaking right now among other things, but for me personally in these few hours playing customs, all that anxiety utterly vanished from my psyche and I was back to being 17 again giddily playing Halo with friends.

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

dwells

BXR is the reason I just don't go into Halo 2 classic matchmaking anymore. This shit was always dumb.

Stop worrying about it - it doesn't have a huge impact on the game, just gives another CQC option. Duck in melee fights or keep your distance if someone has a full BR.

antigoon

I HIGHLY recommend anyone who's frustrated with matchmaking come join us for customs. Like, I know there's a lot of despair about Matchmaking right now among other things, but for me personally in these few hours playing customs, all that anxiety utterly vanished from my psyche and I was back to being 17 again giddily playing Halo with friends.

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

Seconded. Great fun all around.

Also I suggest managing your friends list online. It's easy to see who has added you so you can add them back.

Will try to run some more halo CE, 2 and 2A customs tonight. GT: BigSolar.

AlStrong

I was just looking at the different avatar options, and I noticed how awful Cortana looks in 3 and 2. Halo 4's Cortana model is by far the best IMO.

Wonder why they didn't make H2A versions look the same or similar.

I mean, of all the "complaints" to address (omg naked blue chick with boobies etc etc)... *shrug*

jem0208

This man watches Dylan Rider

I had no idea who this was so I Googled it.

Not a good thing to Google on the work computer...

IT WAS GLORIOUS.

Argh, I'd love to but those times aren't great for UK...

Tawpgun

Ugh. CE is awesome but the movement is trash.

Don't like the way the grenades behave either.

A combat evolved 2 woulda been great.

AlStrong

I've played 3 H2C matches and the game is as awesome as it always was but I got BXR'd once. Everyone who uses BXR is pure evil.

Should have had an achievement that tracked BXR usage.

Penitent Tangent
"Don't use BXR for 2401 matches"

or

1.2 Trillion Simulated, 1 Actual
"Obtain 1.2 trillion online consecutive kills without using BXR"

:p

Impala26

I don't dig it. It reminds me of Phantasy Star Universe, sounds very JRPG. Although it does also have the feel of new Incubus (sounds like a few tracks from Crow Left of the Murder). I say new but I just mean in relation to Halo 2 days. Is it not Incubus? Just some original track or something?

God I can't wait until this game works...

OG Incubus track was better. Though the fidelity of the new Misha Mansoor track is pretty fantastic. I think I prefer the original because it had a more consistent minor key driving tempo vibe.

However, I was finding switching back to the classic that the music track seemed really quiet. Was it always that quiet respectively to the sound effects, or is this an unfortunate byproduct of this MCC H2A package?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom