• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
9v4

Thanks, 343.
xQpEW0u.gif

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah, I'm honestly on the verge of selling my Xbox. My interest in gaming has plummeted, and I never turn it on for more than 20 minutes at a time. I'm getting Dragon Age tomorrow, though, and we'll see if that holds my interest. I'll hold onto the console for a while before making a decision, but it definitely feels pointless to have it now. Even when matchmaking works I only kind of enjoy it. Halo's fun, but so are lots of other things, lol. It's just hard for me to care right now. I haven't felt this way about games in years. It's weird.
Hold on dude!

The new Legend of Zelda is just around the corner and it looks glorious (as you know). Then there's Splatoon, the New Smash Bros, a bunch of interesting indie games on the One along with the PS4, some cool new IP that are so cool I can't remember their names and don't forget PC gaming.

Never let the dream die

Hold on dude!

The new Legend of Zelda is just around the corner and it looks glorious (as you know). Then there's Splatoon, the New Smash Bros, a bunch of interesting indie games on the One along with the PS4, some cool new IP that are so cool I can't remember their names and don't forget PC gaming.

Never let the dream die
Speaking of which, anyone who has Smash and wants to play, add me: UNKNOWN-iXi

FyreWulff

Tricks of the Trade - Terminal

It's no secret that I love Terminal. It's a well designed map for the most part, but what I REALLY liked about it was my strategy for 1-Flag. Every time we played this map, nobody was allowed to grab the ghost at the start, because I ALWAYS wanted to do this strat, because it worked 90% of the time.

Since I'm stuck on a laptop at the moment, I'll do these posts as still frames. Hope you still get the idea. Also, since I have nobody on hand to act as the other team, you'll have to pretend i'm holding the flag in some shots. Remove the 'l' from the image url for full res.

Secure the ghost.

NZ02gxhl.jpg

Now the 'trick'. This trick pretty much only worked on Live, never in splitscreen and less likely in LAN. This was due to how the netcode handled physics collisions when it caught up.

Aim the ghost's left wing so it'll hit this wall as you're coming in. This will cause the ghost to swing. At the same time, exit the ghost. The game will think the ghost 'batted' you and sends you flying right into the doorway under the bridge. Like I said, this was reliable on Live, not so much on LAN and splitscreen will always pretty much put you standing next to the ghost. On those just drive the ghost straight to the door.

The optimal was that you'd get launched into the door, bounce off the wall inside the door, and into the base.

1t3Zvtml.jpg

(when I started out I usually did the ghost swing off the inner column right next to the door.. but launching from out there made it so base defenders didn't hear the ghost)

When you're running flags, you can't shoot back. So you stay mindful of the possible firing lines on you at all times.. using the map's geometry as your only weapon against the other team. I usually jumped over the right side (you can clear it without even stopping if you crouch jump) to use the bridge as a shot blocker.

tSm7Y31l.jpg

Turn around and head back the same way, sometimes backwards. Using the pillar and the bridge as shotblockers helps.

hKmNlaLl.jpg

90% of the time the other team was all outside collecting their vehicles and weapons, or were across the tracks, making this quick grab super effective. People generally did not expect a flag grab that fast and early in the game.

Now, you could totally come back the way you just came. That's the easy version of this strat at this point, but you have two issues. There's that damn random that actually stayed in the base and is chasing you now, and walking out under the bridge exposes you to the most firing sightlines possible on the map. If you die at this point, you're likely corpse capping.

I preferred to do it a different way.

Usually by this point, someone was on my tail if they stayed back in the base. Since we're taking corners they can't get consistent fire. They'll have me if I go under, but..

61dXpkVl.jpg

This jump right here NEVER failed to lose my heat. For a second you expose yourself to BRs on the tracks but almost nobody on Live can pull off this jump consistently. I could. I practiced this jump constantly in my downtime waiting for parties to form.

utXqHqal.jpg

I would often hear shouting over proxy chat for hacking my jumps as I went up into the garage, out of firing lines, and to the base for the easy cap.

Yeah, it looks cool. I just can't imagine myself sitting down and devoting that much time to a game right now. It sounds cool, but a lot of games sound cool and I still find myself feeling like I'd rather be doing something else. I think I just need to accept my disinterest and stop trying for a while. If DA doesn't do it for me I'll probably box up my consoles indefinitely.

I know how you feel man. I always find that entertainment and free time are the hardest to manage in life. There's a lot more meaningful things to do in life. It's all a bit overwhelming sometimes.

Edit: I have dragon age and I certainly enjoy it, but I feel very similar to how you feel and it didn't change anything. It's too much to take in and the combat isn't particularly engaging. So many side quests too. Main story is serviceable. It's the world and characters that are interesting. I would rather talk to people than adventure and engage the enemy.

-Ryn

Banned
I know how you feel man. I always find that entertainment and free time are the hardest to manage in life. There's a lot more meaningful things to do in life. It's all a bit overwhelming sometimes.

Edit: I have dragon age and I certainly enjoy it, but I feel very similar to how you feel and it didn't change anything. It's too much to take in and the combat isn't particularly engaging. So many side quests too. Main story is serviceable. It's the world and characters that are interesting. I would rather talk to people than adventure and engage the enemy.
It's kind of like being asked what you'd wish for. There's so many options that you don't know what you want and you get stuck.

Based on the gameplay I've seen, I would LOVE the game if it had Dark Souls or Bloodborne's combat style (while keeping everything else such as the tactical map thing). The game looks like so good but I prefer my gameplay to be based around skill more than stats. Still interested in checking it out though.

It's kind of like being asked what you'd wish for. There's so many options that you don't know what you want and you get stuck.

Based on the gameplay I've seen, I would LOVE the game if it had Dark Souls or Bloodborne's combat style (while keeping everything else such as the tactical map thing). The game looks like so good but I prefer my gameplay to be based around skill more than stats. Still interested in checking it out though.

This is exactly it. You hit the nail on the head. Everything is so automated. I typically put games on the hard setting but this game is now on "casual" because I realized that all my encounters are based on the enemy's health bar ultimately.

Just tired of fighting health bars in such a direct manner. I wanna use reflex and coordination to defeat a foe, not stat stack them.

Onikaan

I'm done.

Multi bomb on sanctuary. I was killed. Had a 9 second respawn that didn't countdown. I was out of the game for over 30 seconds while the other team scored.

This game can go do one. Complete opposite of fun.

I'm done.

Multi bomb on sanctuary. I was killed. Had a 9 second respawn that didn't countdown. I was out of the game for over 30 seconds while the other team scored.

This game can go do one. Complete opposite of fun.

Yeah I'm officially done with the game too. Thinking about getting a refund. This recent patch made it far worse for me.

Random thought but they really need to put the boops back into CE. I feel like all my skill is practically thrown out the window as it's just a guessing game if my shots are registering.

Having the game operate like this without the hitmarker boops is like playing roulette and leads to frustrating gameplay.

RowdyReverb

Random thought but they really need to put the boops back into CE. I feel like all my skill is practically thrown out the window as it's just a guessing game if my shots are registering.

Having the game operate like this without the hitmarker boops is like playing roulette and leads to frustrating gameplay.

Maybe we shouldn't have complained and made fun of the boops. They were pretty handy.

Maybe we shouldn't have complained and made fun of the boops. They were pretty handy.
343 listening to the wrong people in that case. Once explained, those complaining understand the importance of those boops.

So what we have here is instead of explaining within the context of the game what those boops mean, they're just removed altogether to avoid complaints. Bizarre. Thanks Obama.

RSB

Banned
They should make the boops optional. And also add an option to reduce the volume of the boops.

Everyone would be happy with that solution I think.

-Ryn

Banned
This is exactly it. You hit the nail on the head. Everything is so automated. I typically put games on the hard setting but this game is now on "casual" because I realized that all my encounters are based on the enemy's health bar ultimately.

Just tired of fighting health bars in such a direct manner. I wanna use reflex and coordination to defeat a foe, not stat stack them.
I usually set games to hard as well. Love a challenge. However fighting a boss monster only to lose because they're stats were better than mine feels more like a grind.

Weirdly I enjoy games like Pokemon and Final Fantasy (7 in particular). Something about games with combat like Dragon Age just take me out of it for some reason. It feels less like I'm controlling the character and more like I'm a little person on their shoulder telling them what to do.

Which is what I just now realized to be an almost word for word description of what you are in Pokemon and still close to what it's like in Final Fantasy. I'm having trouble explaining this...

willow ve

They should make the boops optional. And also add an option to reduce the volume of the boops.

Everyone would be happy with that solution I think.

343 does not like options. See Halo 4 and the shit ton of decisions that couldn't be turned off even in custom games as reference.

Madness

Yeah let's not forget the sheer number of people complaining about the hitmarkers. It was on every CE stream, people asking what the annoying sounds were and whether they could turn them off. I agree they were a bit hasty in removing them, but who knows the amount of suggestions they get, what they listen to, from where and why.

I've been done with the game for the last 2 weeks.

Seriously, dont even waste your time till it's completely fixed.

343 are lucky that there are people who will still come back.

Also #butts

RSB

Banned
343 does not like options. See Halo 4 and the shit ton of decisions that couldn't be turned off even in custom games as reference.
Well, that sucks.

I still hope they will at least pay attention to our coherent complaints about cosmetic ADS and include the option to use the classic scope in Halo 5...

Agreed. I called for it to be removed pre-release but that was before I realised CE's shield flare lies.

Also, since the second patch the scope zoom audio on the CE pistol has gone. Makes me think the removal of the hitmarker sound may be a bug.

Akai__

"You'll be able to play a stripped down version of Halo 4 in custom games." comes to mind. We couldn't even turn off Sprint without using modded gametypes.

Options? Never heard of that.

I don't know the exact post, but Ftankie did say here on GAF once that one of the biggest things they learned from Halo 4 was that customization and options needed to be stronger.

belushy

Banned
I don't know the exact post, but Ftankie did say here on GAF once that one of the biggest things they learned from Halo 4 was that customization and options needed to be stronger.

They should go out. Even add some stuff people would never use...

For example, one time I mentioned being able to set the speed that you can go in any direction. So you could go at 150% speed going forward, strafe at 200% speed, and move backwards at 50% speed.

edit: My idea for this kind of system would be for a mini game. Pretty much you'd only be able to walk backwards or something silly like that.

Biting my lip here from going postal...

Get latest patch, hard reboot then get a game quick. No objective votes so get team slayer BRs, lopsided game, quitter on my team and severely lopsided randoms vs regular skilled team. Game 1 over not fun.

Load next game 2 quickly, starts 5v4 no objective votes and 2 on my quit at start as again that se regular skilled team take full advantage of lopsided teams/skills. Quit out of game 2 due to 2v5.

Game 3 load objective neutral bomb and crashes the game completely. Never even started and game 3 down.

Game 4 gets stuck with 5 players found for 15 minutes. Back out and join a party of mates.

Get game 5 and do slayer H2C. All good and smooth. Test the pary back out to invite more mates and party holds together but leader switches randomly.

Get another mate star searching and boots players from party, again.

Still a LOOONG way to go with the game and matchmaking.

EDIT: game 6 we get kicked and added to a random party with some other leader, back out and game crashes to dash board. Arg++##%^£%%]]£]*|*|€]*.

EDIT2: game 7 loads for Halo3 1 flag them boots me to game over screen and I back out into a lobby for coop campaign with some gamer who is t even on my friends list!

WTF. I'm done trying yet another patch.

Nebula

I've been legitimately considering packing up my xbone and bringing the 360 back out just so I can play some Halo.

Oh and fuck all that effort Ozzy. I would have stopped after game 2.

They should go out. Even add some stuff people would never use...

For example, one time I mentioned being able to set the speed that you can go in any direction. So you could go at 150% speed going forward, strafe at 200% speed, and move backwards at 50% speed.

edit: My idea for this kind of system would be for a mini game. Pretty much you'd only be able to walk backwards or something silly like that.

Sounds like a design philosophy they'd endorse to me - 1.5 steps forward, 2 steps back
rVtN8WL.png

-Ryn

Banned
I've been legitimately considering packing up my xbone and bringing the 360 back out just so I can play some Halo.

Oh and fuck all that effort Ozzy. I would have stopped after game 2.
I'll play it with you dude. My internet's down at the moment though so I won't be available for probably another week.

Ok almost all forgiven, CE wizard pistols loaded with a party of 4 and ARs with Dedis it felt like pure gold. Good times. Please hold together for a few games tonight...

Has anyone here gotten an "untracked build, won't upload" error after their game was completely downloaded? I got an Untracked Build error exactly once, when the game finished Dawn and tried to load up Requiem in Halo 4 while the rest of the game was still downloading. Haven't had a problem with it since.

dwells

love it, this is why Halo is good. I love this stuff so much.

What is Halo?

This is Halo

10/10

Right?! I typically play more on the competitive side of the spectrum where this type of stuff doesn't happen, but I love Halo's big open maps and BTB for this type of thing. When you pull something off like that it's just so satisfying and so different from every other game, Halo's uniqueness and the opportunities that presents you makes it wonderful.

By the way, you can click the crappy gif for a smoother video.

Halo was and is THE reason I've gotten and will get an Xbox.
It's what made me jump from the Nintendo train (just in time too because I was thinking of getting a Wii at the time).

I can absolutely relate. I was a die-hard Nintendo fanboy for the longest time; my only consoles were NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube. I had no desire to get an Xbox and thought it would flop. Then I played Halo for the first time - four player split screen on a projector. I was hooked. Scrapped together every single penny I had and bought an Xbox and Halo the moment I could afford them.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
So I tried this new patch during my lunch break and it seems worse in my case.

I tried four times to find a BTB game, it never found players (I'm in France and it was at noon), I waited more than 5 minutes each time. And sometimes, when backing out the background went black (new bug for me).

I tried two TS games, it found players in less than two minutes, the first one ran great, 4vs4.

The second one did not even start, it found 9 other players, so we were 10, splitted the teams evenly, 5vs5, but some guy left during the map vote (or his game crashed), and we were all stuck there for more than 5 minutes, until we all decided to close the game.

So I had 40 minutes to play, waited more than 25, and I could play only one game.

I'll try tonight with my friend, but that does not look good.

Looking forward to the next patch...

-Ryn

Banned
Right?! I typically play more on the competitive side of the spectrum where this type of stuff doesn't happen, but I love Halo's big open maps and BTB for this type of thing. When you pull something off like that it's just so satisfying and so different from every other game, Halo's uniqueness and the opportunities that presents you makes it wonderful.

By the way, you can click the crappy gif for a smoother video.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Halo's battles, especially on a larger scale, just don't have anything else like them.

I can absolutely relate. I was a die-hard Nintendo fanboy for the longest time; my only consoles were NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube. I had no desire to get an Xbox and thought it would flop. Then I played Halo for the first time - four player split screen on a projector. I was hooked. Scrapped together every single penny I had and bought an Xbox and Halo the moment I could afford them.
Same conse line up for me as well. The first game system I ever owned was the original Game Boy. I also played some PlayStation games but my parents ended up selling most of our systems because my older bro and I played so much (my parents could never seem to decide their stance on video games).

I never even cared about the Xbox until my brother came back from a vacation at my older bros. He told me about this amazing game where you're a super soldier that fought a bunch of cool aliens. Then he talked about these giant purple robots that were scary as hell that he managed to beat (which I later learned were Hunters). Eventually I played Halo 3 at my cousins place and (despite my cousins constant criticisms of my sniper skills) I was dead set on getting an Xbox 360. The first games I got for it? Halo CE and Halo 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom