• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

willow ve

How much of the current issues would be solved by completely sandboxing each game apart from the other? Seems like a lot of issues happen when players get into a match of H2, then the next game gets voted H3 (or going from slayer votes to objective).

Tawpgun

Random thought but they really need to put the boops back into CE. I feel like all my skill is practically thrown out the window as it's just a guessing game if my shots are registering.

Having the game operate like this without the hitmarker boops is like playing roulette and leads to frustrating gameplay.
I told you it was a shit show!

The boops definitely helped because it let you know how much you had to lead.

1 v 1 strafe offs are still a lil random though because you never know when he's gonna change direction and make you aim 3 feet in the other way. almost feels like 1 v 1 DMR fight with full bloom

Is "3D Combat" the right way to describe gameplay in Classic Halo? Players are strafing, jumping, and crouching all while playing on maps with a vertical emphasis? Sprint and ADS appear to directly contradict the concept of 3D Combat and seem to promote "Tunnel Vision Combat" instead where the only important direction is forward.

Nebula

Is "3D Combat" the right way to describe gameplay in Classic Halo? Players are strafing, jumping, and crouching all while playing on maps with a vertical emphasis? Sprint and ADS appear to directly contradict the concept of 3D Combat and seem to promote "Tunnel Vision Combat" instead where the only important direction is forward.

I like you.

-Ryn

Banned
Thrusters are only able to move on a 2d plane without the addition of jumping or falling.

ADS while not visually pleasing to all functions exactly the same as zoom. Zoom arguably has more tunnel vision given that it darkens everything outside of the scope making it harder to make things out.

Nebula

Thrusters are only able to move on a 2d plane without the addition of jumping or falling.

ADS while not visually pleasing to all functions exactly the same as zoom. Zoom arguably has more tunnel vision given that it darkens everything outside of the scope making it harder to make things out.

That's more of a balance feature though. You gain increased visual range at the cost of being less aware of your immediate surroundings.

-Ryn

Banned
That's more of a balance feature though. You gain increased visual range at the cost of being less aware of your immediate surroundings.
Yes but his point against ADS was that it creates tunnel vision which zoom already did to a greater degree. :p

wwm0nkey

So I got Reflex, wasn't anyone on when I tried (it was 3am so ununderstandable) but the gameplay is pretty much classic quake with speed slightly toned down so it'll probably be welcoming for Halo players.

Also its $10 so there's that.

Exactly. Thruster can move you in 8 possible directions. Sprint can move you in 1 possible direction. Thrusters promote 3D Combat better than Sprint. Not sure what you are trying to say here or if you are just agreeing with me.

preview of super duper top secret ultra forreal thing coming soon:

ckDLnQW.png

-Ryn

Banned
Yes because tint is harder to see through than a weapon taking up half your screen right? Good point.
Most of the weapons we've seen so far don't take up much space aside from the bottom of the gun. The tint in previous Halo's obscured everything outside the actual scope.

Exactly. Thruster can move you in 8 possible directions. Sprint can move you in 1 possible direction. Thrusters promote 3D Combat better than Sprint. Not sure what you are trying to say here or if you are just agreeing with me.
Better sure but they still only work on a 2D plane which is what you were making a point against sprint for. If you're going to ignore the intended function of one ability and it's variables you've gotta do it for every other ability.

preview of super duper top secret ultra forreal thing coming soon:

ckDLnQW.png
I thought that was a weird space orgy for a second...

Still a little unsure

Most of the weapons we've seen so far don't take up much space aside from the bottom of the gun. The tint in each Halo obscured everything.

If your stance is that a physical weapon blocking your view is easier to see through than the tinted edges of classic scopes, I'm not sure there's anything more we can discuss.

Better sure but they still only work on a 2D plane which is what you were making a point against sprint for. If you're going to ignore the intended function of one ability and it's variables you've gotta do it for every other ability.

You do understand what 3D means right? If you have a point to make, please just make it instead of making vague statements about variables and intended functionality.

I asked this on reddit but it hadn't occurred to me to ask on GAF.

I've gotten a new 360; last time I owned one was back in 2008 and the last Halo I played was Halo 3. I was planning on picking up one of the Halo games up to play multiplayer exclusively, and while I know that most people have jumped ship to MCC, I was hoping to find what the consensus was on which 360 experience was still the best.

As it stands, from what I got from reddit, I was actually just going to go get ODST (I was missing some map packs for 3), Reach, and 4 to try them all; so, basically, they weren't very helpful. I was wondering if there's anything in particular that may turn me off from any of these games. I'm not expecting something at the level of Halo 2 or 3 from Reach or 4, but I just want something fun that isn't so outside the series' identity that I'd be better off playing another game.

Nebula

I asked this on reddit but it hadn't occurred to me to ask on GAF.

I've gotten a new 360; last time I owned one was back in 2008 and the last Halo I played was Halo 3. I was planning on picking up one of the Halo games up to play multiplayer exclusively, and while I know that most people have jumped ship to MCC, I was hoping to find what the consensus was on which 360 experience was still the best.

As it stands, from what I got from reddit, I was actually just going to go get ODST (I was missing some map packs for 3), Reach, and 4 to try them all. I was wondering if there's anything in particular that may turn me off from any of these games. I'm not expecting something at the level of Halo 2 or 3 from Reach or 4, but I just want something fun that isn't so outside the series' identity that I'd be better off playing another game.

Finding games outside of Social Slayer on 3 is a real chore. Even Social Slayer struggles to match you with people at times. Halo 4 is basically BTB. I dislike the game itself but the population is enough to get you matches quickly. I've not touched Reach in ages. I'll let you get the information you need from that.

-Ryn

Banned
If you stance is that a physical weapon blocking your view is easier to see through than the tinted edges of classic scopes, I'm not sure there's anything more we can discuss.
The overall screen real estate that is obscured is less than what zoom obscures. I don't see what's hard to understand here.

You do understand what 3D means right? If you have a point to make, please just make it instead of making vague statements about variables and intended functionality.
Sprint is intended to be used as a means of traversal. Thrusters are meant for a quick boost in a single direction. Sprinting backwards, left, or right wouldn't make any sense either. Similar to how the Ghost has BOOST.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Call it a hunch, but I think this one will go far.

Of course the repost is the one to go far.

Tis the way.

boy how about that master chief collection literally for real ruining my life for all intensive purposes huh

That salt for your venti salted caramel skinny no whip double shot latte?

So I got Reflex, wasn't anyone on when I tried (it was 3am so ununderstandable) but the gameplay is pretty much classic quake with speed slightly toned down so it'll probably be welcoming for Halo players.

Also its $10 so there's that.

Oh god, do want.

Frankie said over on HBO that the $15 Xbox Rewards rebate for HMCC "is for everyone [who was already registered with Xbox Rewards] who pre-ordered MCC digitally, regardless of when (to date). "

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1200824

That would be nice. I'll have to keep an eye on my Rewards balance

I bought day 1 physical so I'll take the 6 map map pack rebate containing Terminal and Headlong, thank you please.

-Ryn

Banned
This is objectively false.
Gameplay_zoom_DMR_HR.jpg

halo-5-gameplay-multiplayer.jpg

The screen from Halo Reach is literally tunnel vision. More of your screen is obscured. While you can still "see", there is more being covered up.

Halo 5's ADS while obstructed completely on the bottom, covers less of the overall screen.

Just for future reference, I don't particularly like ADS even aesthetically. I much prefer zoom. I am willing to give it a shot however.

jem0208

If your stance is that a physical weapon blocking your view is easier to see through than the tinted edges of classic scopes, I'm not sure there's anything more we can discuss.

I really don't see how ads is any different to zoom with regards to your original point. Of anything zoom promotes "tunnel vision" more than ADS as your peripheral vision is obscured whereas with ads its obscured directly in front of you.
Of course the repost is the one to go far.

Tis the way.
This is one of the saltiest things I've read in HaloGAF in a while...

;)

Haruko

I bought day 1 physical so I'll take the 6 map map pack rebate containing Terminal and Headlong, thank you please.

I'd take that map pack over $15 bucks, for sure.

My dream would be:

Terminal
Headlong
Containment
Midship
Ivory Tower
Waterworks

(I feel like Beaver Creek/Turf/etc, are easier to make in H2A Forge)

dwells

I guess I'd like Terminal a lot more if I weren't still bitter about that attic spawn that completely broke Team Slayer.

DJ Gunner

I really don't see how ads is any different to zoom with regards to your original point. Of anything zoom promotes "tunnel vision" more than ADS as your peripheral vision is obscured whereas with ads its obscured directly in front of you.
This is one of the saltiest things I've read in HaloGAF in a while...

;)

You are able to see much more outside of scope with Zoom than ADS. Tinted screen>blocked screen. That's pretty much the crux of it.

Onikaan

Frankie said over on HBO that the $15 Xbox Rewards rebate for HMCC "is for everyone [who was already registered with Xbox Rewards] who pre-ordered MCC digitally, regardless of when (to date). "

http://carnage.bungie.org/haloforum/halo.forum.pl?read=1200824

That would be nice. I'll have to keep an eye on my Rewards balance

giphy.gif

I guess I'd like Terminal a lot more if I weren't still bitter about that attic spawn that completely broke Team Slayer.

I like to sit and throw nades up there let the multi-kills rain.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Gameplay_zoom_DMR_HR.jpg

halo-5-gameplay-multiplayer.jpg

The screen from Halo Reach is literally tunnel vision. More of your screen is obscured. While you can still "see", there is more being covered up.

Halo 5's ADS while obstructed completely on the bottom, covers less of the overall screen.

Just for future reference, I don't particularly like ADS even aesthetically. I much prefer zoom. I am willing to give it a shot however.

Making the standard zoom picture smaller doesn't count for claiming that it has less viewable space.

jem0208

You are able to see much more outside of scope with Zoom than ADS. Tinted screen>blocked screen. That's pretty much the crux of it.
I'm not trying to say zoom blocks more than ads. It's just the original point he was trying to make was that ads promoted "tunnel vision". Whereas zoom is the feature which obscures your peripheral vision.

I feel like having to argue against things like Sprint and ADS in Halo is what keeps us from having nice things. If we didn't waste our time debating objectively bad features, we could probably discuss good ideas for Halo.

-Ryn

Banned
Here's some broader views

reach_1396.jpg

a_pretty_sick_no_scope_halo_reach.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

mqdefault.jpg

Really surprised this is the best I could find...

I feel like having to argue against things like Sprint and ADS in Halo is what keep us from having nice things. If we didn't waste our time debating objectively bad features, we could probably discuss good ideas for Halo.
Or ya know, we could just discuss good ideas for Halo. Nothing is stopping us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom