• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhaleonEB

Gameplay_zoom_DMR_HR.jpg

halo-5-gameplay-multiplayer.jpg

The screen from Halo Reach is literally tunnel vision. More of your screen is obscured. While you can still "see", there is more being covered up.

Halo 5's ADS while obstructed completely on the bottom, covers less of the overall screen.

Just for future reference, I don't particularly like ADS even aesthetically. I much prefer zoom. I am willing to give it a shot however.

I think the key distinction is, the Reach screen darkens the area around your target, with an impact to peripheral vision. The effect is to highlighting your target. ADS actually obscures the target, especially if the weapon has any recoil or muzzle flash. The impact on combat clarity is very different.

-Ryn

Banned
So for the sake of discussion unrelated to either sprint or ADS here's some ideas.

What if Halo had a transport ship similar to the Falcon that could hold 4 passengers. Thoughts?

Or how about if Halo had a gun similar to the grenade launcher that sent out small explosives when the trigger was released. You could make it rain small explosives in the air or bounce a grenade into a tight hallway.

What about a more in depth melee system in which meleeing at the same time would cause a clash in which you would do a very quick QTE to the fight instead of just meleeing each other and both dying.

What about introducing wall running or wall jumping? How about some kind of super jump that allowed you to get a boost in height when you combined thruster and jump at the same time. It isn't a double jump. Just a higher jump.

How about we add binoculars that can spot enemies and put an arrow over them as long as the player is looking at them? Or how about we all just stop beating around the bush and add a tea bag dance animation into the game. It will involve a lot of girating and Spartans that look will automatically start cheering and making gestures.

I think the key distinction is, the Reach screen darkens the area around your target, with an impact to peripheral vision. The effect is to highlighting your target. ADS actually obscures the target, especially if the weapon has any recoil or muzzle flash. The impact on combat clarity is very different.
Well put and I agree.

I just wanted to point out that they both create tunnel vision (albeit in different ways). It doesn't ever seem to be pointed out and I thought it was kind of weird.

Halo could use more "Soft Vehicle Counters", things that allow vehicles to change hands without outright destroying them.

Giving all players the ability to hijack proximate vehicles is a good start.

The Plasma Pistol's EMP Stun effect against vehicles is another good step.

A weapon like the Concussion Rifle, that is able to tip impacted vehicles over, is another way to remove occupants from their vehicle.

HaloGaf, I ask you, what new methods could be added to Halo that allow vehicles to be countered without destroying them?

Halo could use more "Soft Vehicle Counters", things that allow vehicles to change hands without outright destroying them.

A weapon like the Concussion Rifle, that is able to tip impacted vehicles over, is another way to remove occupants from their vehicle.

HaloGaf, I ask you, what new methods could be added to Halo that allow vehicles to be countered without destroying them?

Something like a handheld Halo 3 scarab beam that doesn't do a whole lot of damage to vehicles but flips the lighter ones around on direct hits could work. I had envisioned something similar leading up to Halo 4's release, but ultimately the Railgun kind of fulfilled that role.

So for the sake of discussion unrelated to either sprint or ADS here's some ideas.

What if Halo had a transport ship similar to the Falcon that could hold 4 passengers. Thoughts?

There is no point in vehicles having more than three occupants. Driver, Gunner, Passenger. Anything more is redundant.

Or how about if Halo had a gun similar to the grenade launcher that sent out small explosives when the trigger was released. You could make it rain small explosives in the air or bounce a grenade into a tight hallway.

Sounds very similar to the Grenade Launcher which was pretty much perfect as is.

What about a more in depth melee system in which meleeing at the same time would cause a clash in which you would do a very quick QTE to the fight instead of just meleeing each other and both dying.

QTEs take away control from the player which is bad for Halo gameplay.

What about introducing wall running or wall jumping? How about some kind of super jump that allowed you to get a boost in height when you combined thruster and jump at the same time. It isn't a double jump. Just a higher jump.

Wall jumping sounds interesting

How about we add binoculars that can spot enemies and put an arrow over them as long as the player is looking at them?

Spotting is accomplished through callouts. Don't let the game take over something the player should be doing for himself.

-Ryn

Banned

One idea off the top of my head would be an ability similar to jacking that made you hold on to the vehicle instead of outright stealing the vehicle. Say you were in front of a Warthog; if you jump and thrust at the right time you can grab on to the front of the Warthog and try to just shoot out the occupants instead of pulling them out. Problem is how would you counter it with vehicles like the Ghost and what point would there be for it with tanks?

Another idea could be that if you thrust into the side of a vehicle it could roll them. This would be hard to pull off and the vehicle wouldn't be broken.

belushy

Banned
Another idea cloudless be that if you thrust into the side of a vehicle it could roll them. This would be hard to pull off and the vehicle wouldn't be broken.

Oooh, I like that idea. Instead of Thrust though, make it the shoulder charge thing. That ability doesn't seem like it has much use right now anyway.

Haruko

Xbox Rewards have always been for digital purchases only as far as I know. Not saying that you aren't owed anything, but that's the way that program works.

A lot of the stuff Xbox Rewards has done of late is only for physical purchases from the MicrosoftStore website, which is frustrating.

Personally, I went all-digital this gen, and it's caused me to miss some MicrosoftStore.com only preorder bonuses and Rewards offers. They really need to overhaul the Rewards system
again

I've always wanted something like this, but I'm sure anything that would be implemented would leave two players very vulnerable You'd certainly have to make it as quick as an assassination if not quicker, and even then I feel like you'd be punishing players for attempting to melee by leaving them far too vulnerable to other players. And I don't want my melees to devolve into something everyone just "yoinks"

I feel like expanding on the Melee system is kind of difficult unless you add in a completely independent "hand-to-hand" system that replaces your firearm.

One thing I've thought might be interesting is a rush-counter move where if the enemy attempts to melee you or is within melee range and at "full speed" for Sprint or whatever, you press a button that has you briefly sidestep and shove them in the direction they were running, leaving them completely vulnerable to unloading on them while they're facing the wrong direction. It wouldn't take long to do - shorter than Clamber, bare minimum - and likely daze or force the enemy to retain their momentum for a second or two. The obvious intent is to avoid people rushing in with sprint and punching, and the Sword could possibly be immune to it to further its status as a "pure" melee weapon. It could also have some minor applications, for example defending yourself somewhere precarious only to shove charging enemies off a cliff, rush-countering and then thrusting at them for a backsmack, avoiding possible kamikazes if they're stuck or on fire, etc.

-Ryn

Banned
Something like a handheld Halo 3 scarab beam that doesn't do a whole lot of damage to vehicles but flips the lighter ones around on direct hits could work. I had envisioned something similar leading up to Halo 4's release, but ultimately the Railgun kind of fulfilled that role.
So if the Railgun returns would you like to see it buffed or changed in any way?

Oooh, I like that idea. Instead of Thrust though, make it the shoulder charge thing. That ability doesn't seem like it has much use right now anyway.
Yeah the charge and slide seem like they could use some more utility.

Maybe make it where you can slide under vehicles if you time it perfectly?

The transport would be for if we had a larger BTB cap such as 16v16 so I probably should have mentioned that.

Grenade thing was meant as an anti infantry as opposed to anti vehicle but as you said it is redundant if it occupies the same game as the Grenade Launcher.

QTE's can be used to give the player control if used right. With Halo's melee only being one button there's not much else you could do.

Wall running and the boost jump seem like they would compliment Halo's movement based gameplay. Trick jumps galore.

Silent communication is a thing you need to account for with online gaming.

jem0208

I feel like having to argue against things like Sprint and ADS in Halo is what keeps us from having nice things. If we didn't waste our time debating objectively bad features, we could probably discuss good ideas for Halo.
No one was arguing for ads. We were just saying that it in no way promotes the idea of tunnel vision. Zoom is actually worse in that regard, if you think that's a bad thing at least.

Also can we not try to pass off our opinions of things as objective fact. Sprint and ads aren't objectively bad. It's all a matter of opinion.

Not that I really want to get into this arguement again, however nobody calls out anymore. A spotting mechanic doesn't take away from anything if nobody does it in the first place.

I'd be interested in a slightly modified melee system. However I wouldn't want a QTE. Maybe if both players meleed at the same time it could be like sword clash. You're both knocked back but receive less damage. This would also mean the person who is faster at aiming is more likely to win as they will be able to pull off a headshot faster.

I feel like expanding on the Melee system is kind of difficult unless you add in a completely independent "hand-to-hand" system that replaces your firearm.

One thing I've thought might be interesting is a rush-counter move where if the enemy attempts to melee you or is within melee range and at "full speed" for Sprint or whatever, you press a button that has you briefly sidestep and shove them in the direction they were running, leaving them completely vulnerable to unloading on them while they're facing the wrong direction. It wouldn't take long to do - shorter than Clamber, bare minimum - and likely daze or force the enemy to retain their momentum for a second or two. The obvious intent is to avoid people rushing in with sprint and punching, and the Sword could possibly be immune to it to further its status as a "pure" melee weapon. It could also have some minor applications, for example defending yourself somewhere precarious only to shove charging enemies off a cliff, rush-countering and then thrusting at them for a backsmack, avoiding possible kamikazes if they're stuck or on fire, etc.

Isn't that essentially just Thruster? I don't like the idea of getting "dazed" if I miss a melee but the whole side stepping to get out of danger concept sounds like Thruster.

-Ryn

Banned
I've always wanted something like this, but I'm sure anything that would be implemented would leave two players very vulnerable You'd certainly have to make it as quick as an assassination if not quicker, and even then I feel like you'd be punishing players for attempting to melee by leaving them far too vulnerable to other players. And I don't want my melees to devolve into something everyone just "yoinks"
I was thinking it would last 1 second (1.5 seconds tops). The animation would have to be quick and simple. Interrupting it would be extremely hard. I'd imagine the whole animation would be in 1st person.

This idea also sounds really good.
It'd really discourage just rushing at someone to double melee. If you made the new shoulder check ability immune as well... no wait that wouldn't work. Keep it to swords.

I'd be interested in a slightly modified melee system. However I wouldn't want a QTE. Maybe if both players meleed at the same time it could be like sword clash. You're both knocked back but receive less damage. This would also mean the person who is faster at aiming is more likely to win as they will be able to pull off a headshot faster.
A clash system could work but what if they just melee'd at the same time again?

jem0208

thats actually April 12.
Nope, today is the 4th of December.

Otherwise known as 4/12/14.

You Americans with your weird ass date system.
A clash system could work but what if they just melee'd at the same time again?

Mark it so the knock back sends you far enough away that you can't follow straight up with another melee. Sure you could run towards them again for another melee however the better player would go for the headshot.
So...the date is placeholder I assume?
Presumably.

Maybe this is the good news kamp was referring to? ;)

So if the Railgun returns would you like to see it buffed or changed in any way?

I'd say slightly increase its ammo capacity, double or even triple knockback taken from it (but not damage), raise its blast radius by about 150%, but distribute the current blast radius damage evenly throughout that. Keeping the actual damage proportional over a larger blast radius would start to cause overlap into high-yield explosives territory like the Concussion Rifle, Brute Shot or Rocket Launcher. If you have reduced damage, but over a larger area, that combined with high knockback allows it to be a persistent harassment weapon that can take out infantry and dispatch vehicles, but not outright destroy then. With all the movement emphasis in Halo 5, this also allows you kill momentum in certain situations, for example hitting a wall right next to a player making a jump for a power weapon only to knock them away from it, rail-jumping like you would a rocket jump, blasting a ceiling to send a player exponentially downward, etc.

Isn't that essentially just Thruster? I don't like the idea of getting "dazed" if I miss a melee but the whole side stepping to get out of danger concept sounds like Thruster.

I had thought up a rush-counter thing before Thruster was ever really a thing, but the key difference in this case that it's more of a personal melee-style utility rather than an "outrun the fireball" thing the way Thruster is. When I say "dazed," I don't mean stunned - that would slow down combat - it just keeps you locked into Sprint for an extra second or two, meaning it uses your own tactic of advancing forward against you. It could also serve an important role in countering the weird sprint-punch thing we've been seeing as a Spartan Ability, which would send enemies even further if properly countered.

Caja 117

Nope, today is the 4th of December.

Otherwise known as the 4th of the 12th.

You Americans with your weird ass date system.

Given is an American game, an American OS and an American Company, the date reads a April 12th, unless the user in question have a date set up different. And for the record, the country I come from use the day first and then the month, so I dont fall into the "you american" category.

Yep, we've already played the beta. This beta coming up on the 29th is beta #2. Pretty excited to see if 343 listened to our feedback.

I dont understand the sarcasm based on how the date read there, making it obviusley a mistake, no need to be pedant about it.

jem0208

Given is an American game, an American OS and an American Company, the date reads a April 12th, unless the user in question have a date set up different. And for the record, the country I come from use the day first and then the month, so I dont fall into the "you american" category.

The dates change depending on your region. Chances are the picture is from someone who lives outside of the US. It's a pretty simple.

Also calm down, I was only making a little joke.

Sensy

Maybe because of the better net code but the brute shot in Halo 3 feels like a contender now, it's much more effective at flushing people out of a hole than it used to be.

Onikaan

I dont understand the sarcasm based on how the date read there, making it obviusley a mistake, no need to be pedant about it.

How can It be the 12th of April 2014? Unless we're going to time travel for the full experience.

Caja 117

The dates change depending on your region. Chances are the picture is from someone who lives outside of the US. It's a pretty simple.

Also calm down, I was only making a little joke.

is hard to get a joke trough internet using a You american stereotype.

How can It be the 12th of April 2014? Unless we're going to time travel for the full experience.

How can it be December 4 for that matter if no one has it?

-Ryn

Banned
I'd say slightly increase its ammo capacity, double or even triple knockback taken from it (but not damage), raise its blast radius by about 150%, but distribute the current blast radius damage evenly throughout that. Keeping the actual damage equivalent over a larger blast radius would start to cause overlap into high-yield explosives territory like the Concussion Rifle, Brute Shot or Rocket Launcher. If you have reduced damage, but over a larger area, that combined with high knockback allows it to be a persistent harassment weapon that can take out infantry and dispatch vehicles, but not outright destroy then. With all the movement emphasis in Halo 5, this also allows you kill momentum in certain situations, for example hitting a wall right next to a player making a jump for a power weapon only to knock them away from it, rail-jumping like you would a rocket jump, blasting a ceiling to send a player exponentially downward, etc.
This sounds like a really solid way to amp it up without taking away it's actual role in the sandbox. I hadn't even though of rail jumping. If you designed map with this in mind it could make for some really cool trick jumps. Do you think it should have a zoom?

I had thought up a rush-counter thing before Thruster was ever really a thing, but the key difference in this case that it's more of a personal melee-style utility rather than an "outrun the fireball" thing the way Thruster is. When I say "dazed," I don't mean stunned - that would slow down combat - it just keeps you locked into Sprint for an extra second or two, meaning it uses your own tactic of advancing forward against you. It could also serve an important role in countering the weird sprint-punch thing we've been seeing as a Spartan Ability, which would send enemies even further if properly countered.
Another way to counter the shoulder check would probably ease a lot of worries as well as discourage just sprinting in without a second thought for a punch. Though it would need to have something like being able to roll vehicles give it an actual purpose. As if stands it doesn't seem to have much use.

belushy

Banned

Sorry wasn't trying to be rude.

nillapuddin

If I Shoulder Charge into the side of warthog and it flips, that would be pretty badass.

I agree, more flipping of vehicles plz.

PP EMP + Throw all the stickies, is kinda lame in the scheme of things.

-Ryn

Banned
Mark it so the knock back sends you far enough away that you can't follow straight up with another melee. Sure you could run towards them again for another melee however the better player would go for the headshot.
This sounds solid enough.
I enjoy the flash and reflex of a QTE but your idea would probably work better.

Mix

why do so many people come in here with a horrible attitude just to start a fight? He assumed then fought the assumption himself by saying that it could be the user's preferences are set up to a different format.

Nonsense

It does, but we don't know if the Hammer is even going to be in Halo 5. Probably won't be in Guardians Beta.

It also brings up the question of what abilities should be base player traits and what abilities should be relegated to specific weapons. I always felt like it was better to have unique abilities on weapons, instead of in base player traits, because when every player spawns with the ability, it can never be made as strong as it could if it was tied to a specific weapon that needed to be picked up off the map.

-Ryn

Banned
If I Shoulder Charge into the side of warthog and it flips, that would be pretty badass.

I agree, more flipping of vehicles plz.

PP EMP + Throw all the stickies, is kinda lame in the scheme of things.
It could at least make for some insanely cool moments like barely managing to stop the flag carrier from getting to the base by charging right into them.

I can see the custom games already. Shoulder Check Griffball... Okay that might not work but still.

PP and Plasma Nades are evil. At least as starts.
I don't mind them so much as pick ups.

Doesn't the Gravity Hammer already fill that "melee a vehicle to flip it over" role?
Nope. It's rarely ever on maps and even when it is you've still got everyone else without a way to counter vehicles without really destroying them.

It also brings up the question of what abilities should be base player traits and what abilities should be relegated to specific weapons. I always felt like it was better to have unique abilities on weapons, instead of in base player traits, because when every player spawns with the ability, it can never be made as strong as it could if it was tied to a specific weapon that needed to be picked up off the map.

I think aggressive vertical movement options should probably be restricted to weapons like rocket-jumping, but that's none of my business tho.

092npJt.gif

KevinG

What is this I'm seeing about getting 15,000 rewards points for having preordered MCC?

I've tried googling to no avail.

-Ryn

Banned
I don't really think so, for the most part, because its distribution in the game is very slim. Every vehicle map would need one if that's supposed to be a marketable trait for it.
I suppose they could make the Grav Hammer more unique by having a charge ability that sends out a focused shockwave with limited range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom