• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

You just made the point that strafing works wonders in Halo, unlike other games. My point is that strafing is disabled while Sprinting so your point is moot.
If you first make the mistake of sprinting round a corner into someone, then make the mistake of continuing to sprint to your enemy instead of stopping and strafing, you deserve to be punished and die.

We get you don't like sprint, but it really isn't the root of all evil, it doesn't in any way hinder equal starts.

Yes, he probably should have choose Rock instead of Paper.

You're right. Also, when I walk out of a corridor and turn left but there's an enemy on the right instead, I should have chose paper. Halo should just present enemies to one another, spawning them facing each other directly so they can properly duel. True mlg-pro 1337 gaming skillz.

You really DO try too hard.

Mdot

So this is weird but after playing last night, I tried to watch some Nightfall but the Halo app kept telling me to "Buy MCC" instead of just view it. This was launched from the app and from within the game itself. Did a quick Google search on it and found some others having the issue; suggesting doing a restart. It was late though and I wasn't in the mood to deal with more issues.

Anybody else get this?

So this is weird but after playing last night, I tried to watch some Nightfall but the Halo app kept telling me to "Buy MCC" instead of just view it. This was launched from the app and from within the game itself. Did a quick Google search on it and found some others having the issue; suggesting doing a restart. It was late though and I wasn't in the mood to deal with more issues.

Anybody else get this?

If you got a physical copy, maybe the system isn't differentiating the two after running it through a digitally-based companion program (Halo Channel) and as a result it's asking you to buy the digital version?

Akai__

You just made the point that strafing works wonders in Halo, unlike other games. My point is that strafing is disabled while Sprinting so your point is moot.

I hate sprint as well, but I was donging on people in Halo 4 (and Halo Reach) even if I was the one getting shot first while sprinting. Just stop sprinting, strafe a little bit and you are good to go.

Strafing is only effective when the movement speed (and aim assist/bullet magnetism )is good, though. Wished 343i wasn't so stubborn about Sprint, but I guess we'll have to adapt. I don't see myselft playing Halo 5 MP for too long either way.

If you first make the mistake of sprinting round a corner into someone, then make the mistake of continuing to sprint to your enemy instead of stopping and strafing, you deserve to be punished and die.

We get you don't like sprint, but it really isn't the root of all evil, it doesn't in any way hinder equal starts.

So you can see that, to some degree, Sprint works against strafing, aiming, and firing, right?

Are strafing, aiming, and firing core to the Halo experience? Should we really be promoting features that disable three highly core mechanics like strafing, aiming, and firing?

Anybody else get this?

Did you buy a physical copy? I did, and it did this to me too until someone pointed out that you have to redeem a code that comes in the case to have access.

jem0208

So you can see that, to some degree, Sprint works against strafing, aiming, and firing, right?

Are strafing, aiming, and firing core to the Halo experience? Should we really be promoting features that disable three highly core mechanics like strafing, aiming, and firing?
What? I never said any of that.

I admit sprint does have issues, however it doesn't affect strafing and aiming.

You really do like moving the goalposts in these discussions. We started with sprint breaks equal starts, then we went to sprint promotes rock, paper, scissors gameplay, now we're at sprint breaks strafing.

We've had these discussions many times before as well.

Anyone down for some customs? First game CTF and we'll go from there? Trying to get 16.

I'm amazed how hard it is to find a game on GAF.

Akai__

Anyone down for some customs? First game CTF and we'll go from there? Trying to get 16.

I'm amazed how hard it is to find a game on GAF.

That's because GAF actually doesn't play games, but argues about them. :p

You can make the same argument day in and day out, but the people in charge of decisuons don't care about you. Sorry.

I really wouldn't mind it as much, if there was a playlist without all these abilities. Not going to happen, though.

If MCC starts to work, I'll probably play that and never look back.

This game doesn't need more patches, it needs an exorcism. Halo: The Linda Blair Collection.

all he ever gets from Starbucks are frappuchinos. It has to do with him wanting to keep his teeth white.
You should tell him that cavities aren't white.

That's because GAF actually doesn't play games, but argues about them. :p
To be fair, the games we want to play aren't exactly cooperating right now.

I really enjoy getting drunk so it's worth it.
Somewhere in kitten's subconscious a fratboy lurks, waiting for his moment to bust out like The Incredible Hulk.

You need to get a job bro lol all i see you do is post on here
I have now seen it all.

Sprint doesn't just affect strafing and aiming, it outright disables them.

Oh well, it wasn't like strafing and aiming were two of the most important mechanics in Halo, right?

image.php

You can make the same argument day in and day out, but the people in charge of decisuons don't care about you. Sorry.

With the level of bitterness around here, I'm struggling to come up with a reason why they would. A totally positive audience is just as bad for getting good test results, but at least they won't insult you as well. If I were a dev, GAF is the last place I'd look for advice.

You should tell him that cavities aren't white.

Brushing / flossing daily and having sweets occasionally isn't going to give you cavities, lol. I brush twice a day and have my girly-ass coffee around 6 times a week and I've had a good dental track record.

image.php

With the level of bitterness around here, I'm struggling to come up with a reason why they would. A totally positive audience is just as bad for getting good test results, but at least they won't insult you as well. If I were a dev, GAF is the last place I'd look for advice.

I feel like the MCC basically is what would happen if GAF tried to make a game. It's all the numbered mainline Halo titles with 1080p / 60 frames and improved Forge options with a completely new sandbox that has everything you could ever want (except the Gravity Hammer and Spectre) and it's horribly, almost irrevocably broken, because there were too many cooks.

Does...does anyone actually want to play Halo?

X2m54oK.gif

I'll usually be up for matches, but you'll be hard pressed to find substantial amounts of people actually wanting to play instead of bitching here. The MCC Thread outright is probably an easier place to find people.

Akai__

Isn't this bannable? Post whining or some shit. If not, carry on.

Really disliking that I can only find games in H2A Rumble. I'm sure many people would love to be able to even manage that though. Ugh.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing and I don't see how that is whining?

The game is broken, so people have nothing else to do other than complaining and to talk about other things.
Also, I'm part of the problem. :D

I'm not saying that's a bad thing and I don't see how that is whining?

The game is broken, so people have nothing else to do other than complaining and to talk about other things.
Also, I'm part of the problem. :D

They could just create their own games but everyone's too busy complaining.

If you wanna strafe don't sprint. I'd much rather have a Halo game without sprint, but you're really stretching to make a point here.

It's not a stretch to say that forcing players to choose between moving at full speed or being able to fire their weapon is moving Halo closer towards Rock-Paper-Scissor gameplay. Rock-Paper-Scissor has less depth than Classic Halo.

Defect

Sprint sucks. It's been discussed to death why it doesn't belong in Halo. They are keeping it in no matter how much you complain.

Mdot

Did you buy a physical copy? I did, and it did this to me too until someone pointed out that you have to redeem a code that comes in the case to have access.

Yes, I have the physical one. I checked the box too and didn't see a code on the insert: only one to DL the Halo app (which I had already). I'll check again later and I'll feel like an idiot if that's the case. Thanks for pointing it out though.

We have thrusters though, what's your point here?

That Thruster compliments Classic Halo mechanics in certain areas where it was lacking, like the ability to "strafe" while airborne.

Sprint not only does not compliment Classic Halo mechanics, it is detrimental to most of them, like strafing, aiming, and firing.

Yes, I have the physical one. I checked the box too and didn't see a code on the insert: only one to DL the Halo app (which I had already). I'll check again later and I'll feel like an idiot if that's the case. Thanks for pointing it out though.

I think it's the same code if I remember correctly. Good Luck!

It's not a stretch to say that forcing players to choose between moving at full speed or being able to fire their weapon is moving Halo closer towards Rock-Paper-Scissor gameplay. Rock-Paper-Scissor has less depth than Classic Halo.
Calling it rock-paper-scissors gameplay is a huge stretch. I would argue that knowing when and when not to sprint adds to the skill gap. As Jellycrackers said, you can't strafe when you jump, and your overall movement is limited in mid jump. Does that mean that jumping is a rock-paper-scissors element of a halo? No, you just need to know when you should jump and when you should keep your feet on the ground.

Calling it rock-paper-scissors gameplay is a huge stretch. I would argue that knowing when and when not to sprint adds to the skill gap. As Jellycrackers said, you can't strafe when you jump, and your overall movement is limited in mid jump. Does that mean that jumping is a rock-paper-scissors element of a halo? No, you just need to know when you should jump and when you should keep your feet on the ground.

Why shouldn't jumping take away your ability to fire like sprinting does?

Fuchsdh

Rock-paper-scissors is a pretty bad comparison for any modern video game. This isn't a game with trinary options; you could be at one of thousands of points on a map, with dozens of different weapon combinations and shield strengths… guns aren't even really designed as hard or soft counters to each other, as opposed to a common sandbox with different roles.

Rock-paper-scissors is a pretty bad comparison for any modern video game. This isn't a game with trinary options; you could be at one of thousands of points on a map, with dozens of different weapon combinations and shield strengths… guns aren't even really designed as hard or soft counters to each other, as opposed to a common sandbox with different roles.

Rock = Move at full speed

Paper = Aim

Scissors = Attack

I have to give up my ability to Aim and Attack to gain the ability to Move at full speed. Seems exactly like Rock-Paper-Scissor to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom