• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Welp, this piques my interest! Funny too because I was recently discussing UE4 with a friend and possibly learning it lol. How's your experience with it?

Having tried making stuff in multiple iterations of CryEngine, Unity, and Unreal Engine, UE4 is by far the most straightforward and intuitive editor I've ever used. It's packed with awesome stuff from the start, and building out environment pieces is fairly easy for non-artists such as myself.

Blueprint is awesome for taking the tedium out of programming, but some stuff that feels like it should be essential that does exist in C++ isn't exposed to the visual scripting. The example I can give is how I recreated modern Halo's jumping input handling in Blueprint, which is what I was trying to show in the clip. First I had to draw a vertical vector from the bottom of the player downward to detect collision with the ground. Subtracting the Z of the vector's collision point from the bottom of the player's collision model gives me the height off the ground, and I use that to inform whether I can jump. Then I combined input detection with a timer that says, if you've pressed the jump button while in the air, and you're still holding it and hit the ground within a specified time limit, then you will jump automatically. The C++ character code is already doing the vector draw and collision detection, but it can't be summed up in a simple way with visual scripting, so I was forced to recreate it, which is obviously inefficient. Not a huge issue, especially on a fast PC, but it's annoying nonetheless.

This kind of jumping forgiveness doesn't actually exist in HCE, but I'm using H2A MP as a reference point for player control mechanics. This is what the jumping script looks like, with the entire bottom half being the repeated player height calculation. Thankfully, Line Trace, the function that actually draws the collision vector, has a few very useful debug draw modes so I can accurately visualize the arc of the player's jump and verify the collision is working properly. You can even attach break points to every event and function in Blueprint, so you can go in and double check your values or condition results really easily too.

Decided to search a bit solo last night...2 searches in Halo 3 & H2Classic netted zero players found. I then restarted the game (warm reboot) and search H2A and enjoyed a full game of 4v4.

At this point I'm not sure it's the game or the population...I hope it's the former, sadly. I'm really wanting to hear about dedis though.

I have, I always put up with Halo since I liked it so much. Now that most of the games I like on console are 60, the very few I have to put up with are really irritating.

What if I told you...

http://a.pomf.se/lfruum.webm

This is not CE2, I'm just trying to recreate the feel of Halo in UE4 for educational purposes.

Stupid trial webm program watermark.

hupc77r.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I have, I always put up with Halo since I liked it so much. Now that most of the games I like on console are 60, the very few I have to put up with are really irritating.

What if I told you...

http://a.pomf.se/lfruum.webm

This is not CE2, I'm just trying to recreate the feel of Halo in UE4 for educational purposes.

Stupid trial webm program watermark.

Too floaty with the jumping. Increase the fall rate a bit.

Overall though it's beautiful.

Welp, this piques my interest! Funny too because I was recently discussing UE4 with a friend and possibly learning it lol. How's your experience with it?

UE4 is awesome and fairly easy to get the hang of. Epic has had a huuuuge push towards accessibility this time around. They have put out a tons of videos and resources to help beginners get accustomed to the engine. The new Blueprint system allows for near code-less builds if you are not comfortable with writing C++ (or C# if Mono is your thing)

If you're a student you can get a year sub for free through the GitHub student pack. Or you can pay one month's sub and get the editor forever (just no updates). They have also open sourced the development of the next UT, so you can help out there too if that's your thing.

Oh and it has native Oculus DK2 support. Oculus Halo gogogo

GrizzNKev

Banned
Too floaty with the jumping. Increase the fall rate a bit.

Overall though it's beautiful.

UE4 is awesome and fairly easy to get the hang of. Epic has had a huuuuge push towards accessibility this time around. They have put out a tons of videos and resources to help beginners get accustomed to the engine. The new Blueprint system allows for near code-less builds if you are not comfortable with writing C++ (or C# if Mono is your thing)

If you're a student you can get a year sub for free through the GitHub student pack. Or you can pay one month's sub and get the editor forever (just no updates). They have also open sourced the development of the next UT, so you can help out there too if that's your thing.

Oh and it has native Oculus DK2 support. Oculus Halo gogogo

Once I'm finished building out a basic map layout I'll upload a build for interested HaloGAF peeps to try out. I'll be looking for that kind of feedback. I don't want to mimic any specific Halo game, I just want to nail the Feel™ and expand from there.

I'm going to be staying with my family for the next three weeks, so I'll put down my first target build at a month from now.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Once I'm finished building out a basic map layout I'll upload a build for interested HaloGAF peeps to try out. I'll be looking for that kind of feedback. I don't want to mimic any specific Halo game, I just want to nail the Feel™ and expand from there.

I'm going to be staying with my family for the next three weeks, so I'll put down my first target build at a month from now.

mT07tuV.png

belushy

Banned
Halo in UE4? Yes please.

I was actually looking searching the internet to see if someone has started on something like that yet, but doesn't seem to be anything I did find this video from UDK that I thought was pretty neat.

UDK Hang 'Em High Not as good as the Reach remake but it still nice to look at.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
I don't understand when things went sideways, why they went to 5v5 rather than smaller. MM hasn't worked well since H3, IMO; the population is too diluted with all of the options on XBL- going bigger only makes the problem worse. I certainly am not finding good games regularly, even when half of the lobby quits out within the first minute.

I worry that with the slow bleed of content releases (playlists, ranks)- another chunk of the population will already be gone, nobody will put in the games for Truskill and H2 ranks to function well, and most games will remain "who can carry the dead weight the most."

God, I miss 2v2.

Sounds damn cool, looking forward to it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
one minute you're starting a project, the next minute you're chest deep in perforce wondering where everything went wrong

I'm gonna keep repeating this in my head:

just for fun. no real deadlines. just for fun. no real deadlines.

I have a decent history of finished projects both led and not led by me. I won't worry too much about it. Start with the smallest scope imaginable, and only add more when you think you're done.

GrizzNKev

Banned

I put real before deadlines for that specific reason. Because if I fail, nobody loses anything.

"We regret to inform you that we were unable to meet the target date for our game's release. You can purchase these 50 polygons and the default first person rig for $60 today, and we are dedicated to continue supporting and updating the game until there is more than one place to walk."

Future 343 Industries lead dev in the making. ;)

This is going to be great, or an utter clusterfuck of an explosion. Either way it's going to be exciting.

shhhhhhhhh. Someone change the topic.

willow ve

My 360 has had 2 console updates in the past week - are they doing this stuff in response to the XBL hacks that have been ongoing?

First update was small and quick
This update is slow as molasses to download

Mixmastershill with that new OT.

With the state of this game, that OT deserved nothing more than a kylej OT.

Looking at those NPD numbers you gotta wonder if word of mouth about Halo being borked had any influence.

choo chooooooo
well look at who posted it.
Does it bother anyone that @Halo and the big figure heads over at 343 went dead quiet post launch or is that just me?
they knew they were releasing a baed gaem
5. Turn of Xbox One & do something constructive.
like learn a skill
Fuckin classic henery spitting out the truthbombs

While I wouldn't go so far as to say 343 deserves to get destroyed and stuff, I think something on a DEVELOPMENT level needs to change. Whether its MS influence, the higher ups, work allocation, or maybe on an employee level.

I get MCC is an ambitious project and apparantley came in hot but some of these oversights are annoying and it doesn't help that game development is mostly shrouded in mystery. No one will admit to fucking up during dev. No one will say "well actually the reason for no br starts/un updated maps/this bug that bug/ is because of this" Sometimes they think it makes them look bad. Sometimes they assume its too complicated and the public won't get it, but I'd much prefer them posting it and having the smarter people, such as fyrewulff maybe, explain the complex stuff in more laymans terms. Not just "oh there was something we didnt see until game went live"

I want the game to work, so I don't wish for 343 to just close down and RIP Halo. But something needs to change. Halo 4 dev seemed like a mess, but they were building a team.

MCC dev is a mess. No excuse this time. Unless its something like "We had a small team working on this ambitious project and just outsourced the rest to companies that (outside of certain affinity) have no halo experience."

It's super frustrating. I'm gonna try MCC this weekend, haven't played in a while. Hope it works well.
they've admitted to hiring people that disliked Halo. some people are there because they have released AAA games, and not because they like halo.
"They were focused on Xbox One when they made Halo 4, cut them some slack"
"They were focused on Halo 5 when they made the MCC, cut them some slack"
"They were focused on MCC when they made Halo 5, cut them some slack"
Yep
Aren't they like 500 people now?
I wonder how big they're gonna get...
Big enough to release a non-broken game?

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Anyone here play texas holdem? So want to play that friday night after work wit some gafers. Is tere a poker game on xbox one yet??

haha yea, CBOAT threw some nonsense out there, Xbone looks like it ended up winning by nearly half a million consoles.

Too bad only a fraction of those new owners will stick around long enough to play a functioning MCC.

Depends how many have even tried yet. How many of those are Christmas gifts, do you reckon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom