• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

As good a time as any

civil_war.gif
Blur version of this is pretty bad. Super dark, explosions are tiny.

Sofa King

Got a message that I couldn't join after a few minutes of waiting. Cannot join because session is full. WTF? I have yet to play a match with full player count.

Omni

>complains about cash grab
>goes back to destiny

And why not wait a week for the issues to be fixed? This launch is a disgrace and all but how can you be so high on your horse to return a game you know will be fixed in days? Hell, mm is working well for me now already and I'm sure he's gonna regret abandoning ship so soon. I was blunt and I'm a bit cranky atm at work but for gods sake why can't people wait a bit? Is the economy that freakin bad that people need their lousy 60 bucks? God damn.

/rant

I... kinda know where you're coming from? I guess. It does seem a little premature. But whatever the case, this is not the way to go about expressing your opinion about something that doesn't effect you in the least.

edit. oh wait he's banned. didn't notice oops

Halo.

FyreWulff

I think it was localization concerns, not all languages are going to interpret 'v2' the same way. Dunno. I never really asked.

The descriptions for maps had no real rules, besides not copy pasting song lyrics or other copyrighted material as your description.

Maps also couldn't be named after well known copyrighted or trademarked things.

I actually had Cragmire named 'The Crag' after the Nickelodeon show for a while (as a reference to the rocky mountains and cliffs around the map, and the original map's name), then I changed it to 'Cragmire' to make it non-infringing and referencing being in a quagmire..

willow ve

I think it was localization concerns, not all languages are going to interpret 'v2' the same way. Dunno. I never really asked.

The descriptions for maps had no real rules, besides not copy pasting song lyrics or other copyrighted material as your description.

Maps also couldn't be named after well known copyrighted or trademarked things.

I actually had Cragmire named 'The Crag' after the Nickelodeon show for a while (as a reference to the rocky mountains and cliffs around the map, and the original map's name), then I changed it to 'Cragmire' to make it non-infringing and referencing being in a quagmire..

Makes zero sense to not allow v.1 v.2 v.3 etc on the end of a map name. Any regions that are confused would quickly learn via a simple google or just plain common sense.

Not having version numbers on maps is so frustrating for the entire player base.

Fuchsdh

A side note, for people who were pissed about the supplementary achievements for multiplayer: they're almost all apparently unlockable in custom games. So once multiplayer works I don't think you'll have to worry about much game-altering play (only a few like getting dual double kills in a single match specifically require matchmaking.)

Lazslo

If people are STILL having matchmaking difficulty with Matchmaking and such, I would highly recommend joining Mix, myself and many other HaloGAFers tonight for customs again beginning around 9 or 10pm EST.
I would totally be into playing customs tonight. Oh boy I really missed Halo Gaf, I haven't been around here for 2-3 years but I remember playing Halo: Reach Customs with HaloGaf back in the day and it was a blast, I think it was every Friday or Saturday Night. The MCC is a dream come true for HaloGaf custom's -The idea of playing a custom game on H1 then doing one in H2 and then H3 is almost to go to be true (literally I hope it works tonight)

FyreWulff

Makes zero sense to not allow v.1 v.2 v.3 etc on the end of a map name. Any regions that are confused would quickly learn via a simple google or just plain common sense.

Not having version numbers on maps is so frustrating for the entire player base.

I went and looked and the ATLAS (Halo 3) group still exists

http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/1237873/0/0?clanId=5151

The following is a list of potential roadblocks your map can run into. You must review these questions before submitting your map, and make sure that none of these issues applies to your map variant.

If, when any of the below questions are applied to your map variant the answer is yes, your map is INSTANTLY REJECTED.

1. Does the title of your map variant contain any spelling or grammatical errors? Can the title be seen as chauvinistic, racist, or in any way offensive? Does it contain a "version number" used for the sake of tracking iterative progress on the map itself?

2. Does your map description contain any grammatical or spelling errors? Can it be construed as offensive? Does the description contain words that are filtered by the Xbox Live profanity filters to read as "-blam!-?"

3. Do either the title or description of your map contain copyrighted content? Examples include titles of movies, or names of locations in other video games.

4. Is anything within the map potentially offensive? Examples include hate speech written out in weapons, lewd sculptures made using Forge objects, or other arrangements that are deemed inappropriate by the Xbox Live terms of Service.

5. Is your map designed to copy a map from another company's intellectual property? Examples include maps from other games, scenes from movies, etc)

6. Does your map use any glitch that enables the use of more Forge objects than the budget allows?

7. Are any weapons or equipment not listed on The Yes List present on your map variant?

8. Does the map have any explosive objects (Fusion Coils, propane tanks, et cetera) that respawn at short intervals?

8b. (Sandbox Sky Bubble Corollary) Does the map have objects such as fusion cores or barriers that can be pushed off the map and used to hide?

9. Does the map have spawns placed over pit falls, or trapped inside geometry?

10. Does the map have spawns facing walls or other geometry 3 feet or less away?

10 b. (Sandbox Maps) Does the map have spawns looking out toward the edges of the maps, away from any point of interest?

11. Is spawning unbalanced for the map's supported gametypes?

12. Does the map have hidden caches of weapons, equipment or vehicles that can be exploited by knowledgeable players?

13. Does the map have infinitely looping teleporters?

14. Is the map designed to be a puzzle game, obstacle course, or mid-air mongoose track? (Examples include Miles and any number of roller-coaster-ish tracks made in Foundry)

15. Does the map make use of exploits that allow players outside of the environment (beyond invisible barriers, or over the edge of a cliff, for example)?

16 Can the bounds of your map be "escaped" from, either by a knowledgeable player or on accident?

17. Is the map dependent on a specific gametype you made to go along with it?

Sofa King

Latest update:

"We are aware that last night's server side update has once again improved Matchmaking times for many users, while others are still seeing longer than expected times. We continue to investigate and will have a detailed update coming later this morning PST."

Ummm, OK. It works for some but not others and we'll get back to you. No info communication is not good communication.

"#weback" is so dorky. Stop.

Really goes to show the quality of these games that people are willing to put up with the buggy disaster of a launch.

I wonder with so many studios collaborating on the campaigns are we more likely to see faster campaign fixes. As in each studio fixing their respective ports being quicker than one studio fixing all Sp games?

Raide

You should make the floor out of grass, or colliseum walls. Too much concrete in there imo

Adding some rocky terrain would make it more interesting. I wonder if replacing the outer walls with the huge rock faces would work? Throw in a few trees in the middle too!

nillapuddin

You should make the floor out of grass, or colliseum walls. Too much concrete in there imo

Adding some rocky terrain would make it more interesting. I wonder if replacing the outer walls with the huge rock faces would work? Throw in a few trees in the middle too!

yeah this is just the geometry build out, the trees will commence when its finished

Ill go over to Turf real quick to show yall a quick peek..

I took some liberties, it is very much WIP though

Greenskull posted a new H5 video with his own gameplay he captured at Halofest.

Carnage report screen has some nice info.

That looks pretty darn good. I was in the middle of whether or I liked it or not after the reveal but that made it look pretty good. Thanks for sharing.

Got a fuckin hard on right now. I killed the dude on elbow after also.

http://www.xboxclips.com/video.php?...pgun&vid=68e92513-c420-44f7-8726-9fc73e42aec0

Dude's name was "SwaggitySwagYOLO"

Wow

TheXbox

Great gameplay, those journos are so shit lol. ADS seems like a non-issue at this point, and that's coming from a very conservative Halo fan. Will withhold judgment until the beta, though. Auto weapons with zoom could be an issue, some of the AR gameplay I've seen looks nasty as fuck.

And they should just kill sprint. It's useless, it sucks, faster movement is better. Do it 343

Lazslo

So if we can actually get Customs to work tonight- I'll be trying to organize some games at 8pm EST tonight. Join if you can- send a Friend request to GT: is Laszio - it would be great if we can bring back HaloGaf Customs for some good times.

willow ve

I went and looked and the ATLAS (Halo 3) group still exists

http://www.bungie.net/en/Forum/Post/1237873/0/0?clanId=5151

The version number not being allowed seems arbitrary and pointless in the naming of the map. I mean seriously, what is the logical rationale behind that? It makes it endlessly frustrating to know what you're playing.

Even doubly frustrating when it's an on disc or otherwise official DLC map. Good luck ever recreating the Pit, Narrows, Guardian, Construct, etc. that you remember from matchmaking because there is absolutely zero chance you can find the files to download the latest iteration.

Fuchsdh

The version number not being allowed seems arbitrary and pointless in the naming of the map. I mean seriously, what is the logical rationale behind that? It makes it endlessly frustrating to know what you're playing.

Even doubly frustrating when it's an on disc or otherwise official DLC map. Good luck ever recreating the Pit, Narrows, Guardian, Construct, etc. that you remember from matchmaking because there is absolutely zero chance you can find the files to download the latest iteration.

I see why it shouldn't be in the map name (because it's junk characters for the vast majority of players), but versions in metadata would definitely assist Forgers and players setting up custom games.

willow ve

Interesting and informative video from Greenskull.
I 100% disagree with him on the ADS comment. Look at ADS when you're using the DMR. It's completely changed from "just like using the scope you're used to."

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Latest update:

"We are aware that last night's server side update has once again improved Matchmaking times for many users, while others are still seeing longer than expected times. We continue to investigate and will have a detailed update coming later this morning PST."

Ummm, OK. It works for some but not others and we'll get back to you. No info communication is not good communication.

>"Why isn't 343/Microsoft communicating!? Anything would be better than being silent."

>"What the hell. Why is 343/Microsoft just saying they are working on things and investigating. Reporting nothing is bad."

mcrommert

Banned
I wish the team slayer playlist didn't include halo 3.

This. Loved halo 3 when it came out...coming back to it is difficult. Both halo 2's feel great but halo 3 is so slow and the weapons are so inaccurate and unpowerful...i dunno

Had a really good game on The Pit though so i will probably get over it.

Yeah it's weird. The group is dead but Karl keeps posting new threads in that group. I mean, it's like... GET OVER IT CORAL. THE GROUP IS DEAD. SHISHKA ISN'T COMING BACK.

I KNOW WHAT 2177 MEANS.

Let's Halo today.

Blueprint times were the good times. I had lots of fun.

Woorloog

Banned

Between the B-roll footage and this video...

If only the game didn't have fucking Sprint or ADS (even in pseudo-ADS/scope form). Because it looks good otherwise. The set of abilities is, after some thinking, pretty neat (despite some initial misgivings), exactly the kind of thing i wanted from Halo: base Halo+something new and different. But Sprint and ADS.... they really kill any interest i have for Halo 5.
Sprint allows easy fleeing (despite the shield recharge penalty, i think, and the abilities are still tied to sprint so i'd imagine i can not avoid using it either) and is there to pander to COD/modern shooter players, and takes up a button that should be for Crouch and forces the grenade selection to D-pad, which is utterly terrible.
And ADS is utterly pointless. Why not just have the normal Halo-like scope? Because ADS is modern, ie it is pure pandering? In COD, BF, others, it is a trade-off between mobility and accuracy, a trade-off i really hate (and consequently i don't play those anymore) but it has purpose. In Halo 5, it just is, for the looks (and clutters the screen), and forces stupid new control scheme (especially with Sprint).
(Oh, and the new rocket(?) launcher looks boring, visually and functionally.)

I really worry what they've done to BTB too. 16 players with some lighter vehicles is perfection. Hell, Sprint alone hurts BTB quite a bit as it is. But, of course, we won't know this anytime soon, given that the beta will be limited to arena-type Halo.

Yeah, i'm repeating stuff. But i can't help it but be pissed off at the only thing interesting on Xbone to end up being... wrong.
I'd be very interested in continuing the story but gameplay takes precedence here.

---

Is the new book, Broken Circle. any good? The premise is interesting certainly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom