• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between the B-roll footage and this video...

If only the game didn't have fucking Sprint or ADS (even in pseudo-ADS/scope form). Because it looks good otherwise. The set of abilities is, after some thinking, pretty neat (despite some initial misgivings), exactly the kind of thing i wanted from Halo: base Halo+something new and different. But Sprint and ADS.... they really kill any interest i have for Halo 5.
Sprint allows easy fleeing (despite the shield recharge penalty, i think, and the abilities are still tied to sprint so i'd imagine i can not avoid using it either) and is there to pander to COD/modern shooter players, and takes up a button that should be for Crouch and forces the grenade selection to D-pad, which is utterly terrible.
And ADS is utterly pointless. Why not just have the normal Halo-like scope? Because ADS is modern, ie it is pure pandering? In COD, BF, others, it is a trade-off between mobility and accuracy, a trade-off i really hate (and consequently i don't play those anymore) but it has purpose. In Halo 5, it just is, for the looks (and clutters the screen), and forces stupid new control scheme (especially with Sprint).
(Oh, and the new rocket(?) launcher looks boring, visually and functionally.)

I really worry what they've done to BTB too. 16 players with some lighter vehicles is perfection. Hell, Sprint alone hurts BTB quite a bit as it is. But, of course, we won't know this anytime soon, given that the beta will be limited to arena-type Halo.

Yeah, i'm repeating stuff. But i can't help it but be pissed off at the only thing interesting on Xbone to end up being... wrong.
I'd be very interested in continuing the story but gameplay takes precedence here.

---

Is the new book, Broken Circle. any good? The premise is interesting certainly.

I understand your concerns man, hopefully they find the middle ground and we get both experiences.

16 players on Avalanche, Sandtrap and the like is ageless but I also want to raid an enemy base with missiles driving a hugeass vulture or whatever, I want it so bad xD

Karl2177

Yeah it's weird. The group is dead but Karl keeps posting new threads in that group. I mean, it's like... GET OVER IT CORAL. THE GROUP IS DEAD. SHISHKA ISN'T COMING BACK.

I KNOW WHAT 2177 MEANS.

Let's Halo today.
Bungie.net is such shit since the update.

Woorloog

Banned
I understand your concerns man, hopefully they find the middle ground and we get both experiences.

16 players on Avalanche, Sandtrap and the like is ageless but I also want to raid an enemy base with missiles driving a hugeass vulture or whatever, I want it so bad xD

Then give us both classic 16-player BTB and, say, Invasion/Conquest/Whatever-you-want-to-call-it mode which takes everything up to eleven with upped player count. I don't care for such in mainline Halo.
I'm not automatically opposed to such really, but like ADS in Halo, i think it is something for a spin-off, not a mainline game. I don't mind such existing though, as long as i can play classic BTB.

BTB has been my Halo ever since i played Halo PC demo first time online over a decade ago. That integration of vehicles to first person shooter experience... Battlefield (1942) is fun but it never was quite the same, and UT2k4 (demo, around the same time) wasn't quite as fun either (clunkier controls and boring vehicles were main issues, i think).

My preference for light vehicle set is really from Halo PC multiplayer, one of the few things in Halo i prefer to keep like it was in Halo CE.
I (mostly) remember how Blood Gulch was in the demo (did it have the Ghost? That i cannot recall), with the Banshees and Warthogs. It had beautiful simplicity, yet they added so much to the game. Later Halos went overboard with the amount of vehicles, i think, and adding heavy vehicles to BTB, the Wraith aside and even it should be rare, is a mistake. The Chopper, Spectre and Falcon are nice alternatives to the original trio of scout, transport and flyer but not everything should be used at once.

rrc1594

Gaming side is in full danger zone

309a.gif

willow ve

It's functionally exactly the same though.

No. I'm sorry. But no it is not. Scope via HUD is fundamentally different than an ADS animation.

On the DMR - A 3X zoom where your entire field of view is still visible is not "functionally exactly the same" as a giant image of a scope floating through the entire section of the screen.

On the AR - Greenskull is the second review video to point out that the AR is noticeably better with a tighter spread when using ADS.

On the BR - Traditional scope allows full frame of view unobstructed. This means you can see below the horizon of the scope - allowing for much greater situational awareness such as "oh, that grenade I just threw at the enemy did in fact land in front of their feet." Or "oh, look, enemies are coming up the ramp on midship." With the new ADS of the BR all of that is gone. Look at the screen shots of using the BR with ADS - 30% of the screen is simply covered by arms / sights.

Booshka

Greenskull posted a new H5 video with his own gameplay he captured at Halofest.

Carnage report screen has some nice info.

F0HodXt.png

I'm wondering how they are calculating the damage dealt stat. If it is overall damage, or just damage that resulted in a kill, whether or not you scored the kill. Shadowrun goes with the latter calculation, so a lot of the time, the Damage dealt stat gives more information than just how many kills you got.

Really like it, back when I played Competitive SR and privates more often, I was usually getting more damage than kills, I lay down shots more than I finish kills in general, so it was nice to have that damage stat. It was also tied into the economy of the game as well, you got the majority of the money if you dealt the majority of the damage, there was a kill bonus, but if you do a lot of damage that results in kills, you're getting paid.

Gaming side is in full danger zone

309a.gif

There are some good posts there honestly. Salty, but I think a lot of frustration is understandable. Games aren't cheap. We are promised the world with this game and gave them our hype, support, feedback and most of all--money. This release is wholly unacceptable.

What this reminds me of is Max Hoberman saying, "When I was told they wanted to include all these games in one package I thought they were crazy. It's such a huge undertaking."

Yeah, you are right Max. They bit off more than they could chew with this one.

rrc1594

There are some good posts there honestly. Salty, but I think a lot of frustration is understandable. Games aren't cheap. We are promised the world with this game and gave them our hype, support, feedback and most of all--money. This release is wholly unacceptable.

What this reminds me of is Max Hoberman saying, "When I was told they wanted to include all these games in one package I thought they were crazy. It's such a huge undertaking."

No reason anyone shouldn't be upset, game does not work properly. Now we have thread on pure speculation that MS lied about dedicated servers. With no proof just cause a bunch of chickens run around with no head

daedalius

No. I'm sorry. But no it is not. Scope via HUD is fundamentally different than an ADS animation.

On the DMR - A 3X zoom where your entire field of view is still visible is not "functionally exactly the same" as a giant image of a scope floating through the entire section of the screen.

On the AR - Greenskull is the second review video to point out that the AR is noticeably better with a tighter spread when using ADS.

On the BR - Traditional scope allows full frame of view unobstructed. This means you can see below the horizon of the scope - allowing for much greater situational awareness such as "oh, that grenade I just threw at the enemy did in fact land in front of their feet." Or "oh, look, enemies are coming up the ramp on midship." With the new ADS of the BR all of that is gone. Look at the screen shots of using the BR with ADS - 30% of the screen is simply covered by arms / sights.

The obstructing scope is probably a balancing mechanic for long range encounters. Its still going to be super accurate for hip fire, just like everything else.

Wonder if it will still be 5sk?

On the sprint discussion, god going back to old halos feels so sluggish getting around. I know its probably better for the game and map control, but shit. Especially Halo 3, and ESPECIALLY with the flag. Ugh, the movement with the flag is absolutely atrocious. Speedflag again please.

The obstructing scope is probably a balancing mechanic for long range encounters. Its still going to be super accurate for hip fire, just like everything else.

You know, now that I think of it..the ADS animation could be beneficial for balance for long range. It would limit a long range weapons effectiveness and make it so call outs and skill would be even more of a must. On the surface, I definitely prefer the regular old school way and I think it works great, but having some of your view obstructed will make a player with a DMR taking pot shots at long range a little less effective.

Whether this is a good thing or not, we will see in the beta.

Blocking your screen is a terrible balancing mechanic, for a series like Halo, it makes no sense, gameplay wise, or even lore wise.

Lore wise is what bugs me the most. Frankie came in here and said something silly about "clearing the peripherals" or something goofy like that. That makes no sense. If your HUD in your helmet displays the reticule of where you are looking, then why the heck would you want to look through the scope? That makes no sense at all.

THAT is stupid to me and out of place and that's why I want it to be toggled off.

Booshka

Blocking your screen is a terrible balancing mechanic, for a series like Halo, it makes no sense, gameplay wise, or even lore wise.

Impala26

Is it bad that, while as a consumer looking at this situation at face value I see this launch as unacceptable, but as long-time Halo fan I'm so blinded by the actual concept/nature of the package that I'm willing to overlook a vast majority of these issues?

The way I saw this game from the get-go was that THIS is finally going to be the Halo game I play at LEAST a bit every month if not every week for as long as Microsoft can support it. This has been a failed launch by the most basic of standards, yet, somehow I'm able to overlook it oddly enough and envision how great and nearly perfect this package will be in the long run. I just keep thinking, oh well, even if this takes a week, a month, into the new year to all be running optimally that that's actually FINE by me because of how much time I'd like to commit to playing it. I don't think any typical AAA release has ever had my attention (to play in the long run) like this one has.

Not saying I'm right in my opinion about this, but this is legitimately how I feel. Campaign day one and customs last night with MIX and Co. completely reassured me in this regard. I'm bizarrely patient with this release for some odd reason, and that's exactly why I'm flabbergasted that folks like JC have already admitted to getting refunds and trading their XB1's in. But to each their own.

The real serious question is Fahz...

Are you down for Customs with us again tonight/tomorrow? XD

MaGlock

I find matches in about 2 mins but settings just seem to get borked or teams are uneven. Just when it seems like it works it just implodes

TheXbox

Yeah but at least it's better than ADS being OP with aim assist and slow movement. From what it sounds like aiming with ranged weapons is harder than ever. :/

dB Viper

MCC is such a shiz show. I'm glad MM is working for some, but for me, no change. 25+ minutes to find a match searching alone.

Don't dare search with a party and then being split up and ultimately quitting out.

Really a shame. Quite fun when I can get a match, though.

Woorloog

Banned
Man, i'm watching a cutscene collection for Halo 2 Anniversary (with some gameplay) and i gotta say, i think i'd love to play it, despite some things i don't like (like the Warthog looking like Halo 4-'Hog). CGI doesn't impress me really but Halo 2 with graphical overhaul looks real nice, and it is my favorite Halo...
Too bad the collection has so many issues, too bad Halo 5 seems to be going to wrong direction, too bad Xbone costs too much for its hardware (cut 50€ from its price and it is OK).

Is it bad that, while as a consumer looking at this situation at face value I see this launch as unacceptable, but as long-time Halo fan I'm so blinded by the actual concept/nature of the package that I'm willing to overlook a vast majority of these issues?

The way I saw this game from the get-go was that THIS is finally going to be the Halo game I play at LEAST a bit every month if not every week for as long as Microsoft can support it. This has been a failed launch by the most basic of standards, yet, somehow I'm able to overlook it oddly enough and envision how great and nearly perfect this package will be in the long run. I just keep thinking, oh well, even if this takes a week, a month, into the new year to all be running optimally that that's actually FINE by me because of how much time I'd like to commit to playing it. I don't think any typical AAA release has ever had my attention (to play in the long run) like this one has.

Not saying I'm right in my opinion about this, but this is legitimately how I feel. Campaign day one and customs last night with MIX and Co. completely reassured me in this regard. I'm bizarrely patient with this release for some odd reason, and that's exactly why I'm flabbergasted that folks like JC have already admitted to getting refunds and trading their XB1's in. But to each their own.

The real serious question is Fahz...

Are you down for Customs with us again tonight/tomorrow? XD

I'm patient with it too, but I know it's because I'm a Halo campaign junky and freak fan boy that tried to go pro in the past. I have played a TON of Halo 1, 2, and 3. So I'm eager...

However, what angers me the most is that the vast majority of the player base will not be as patient as you or I. Heck, as you pointed out...even JC threw in the towel already. People are burnt out on broken releases (BF4 anyone?), so this is just the worst thing they could have done. There is a pretty big risk that the population of the MCC will not recover, especially with so many great releases around the corner (Dragon Age Inquisition, Call Duty Advanced Warfare etc). There are plenty of other working games people can sink their time into.

343 exuded confidence in their reveal of this game. It almost felt like a redemption from the Halo 4 MP. I actually have far less confidence in 343's ability to ensure quality now. No one is saying this game wasn't hard to put together, but if you promise so much you better bust your ass to deliver. That's me speaking as a consumer and we are all ignorant of what happens in a studio. It just doesn't matter though. You fail with something this big, you fail really hard and this world isn't filled with very merciful/forgiving people.

For sure, if I'm available today hit me up. Sounds great!

Man, i'm watching a cutscene collection for Halo 2 Anniversary (with some gameplay) and i gotta say, i think i'd love to play it, despite some things i don't like (like the Warthog looking like Halo 4-'Hog). CGI doesn't impress me really but Halo 2 with graphical overhaul looks real nice, and it is my favorite Halo...
Too bad the collection has so many issues, too bad Halo 5 seems to be going to wrong direction, too bad Xbone costs too much for its hardware (cut 50€ from its price and it is OK).

Just wait for the thumbs up from us beta testers and then get it. Halo 5 is a great direction coming off the heels of Halo 4. That might not be saying much, but at least it's far and away a large improvement.

That round based game mode has a ton of potential for being incredible.

Omni

Is there any merit to that thread that says Halo isn't using dedicated servers?

'cause that certainly would be something after I praised Halo 3 so much, haha. The one game I've played of Halo 3 was the best I've ever had in regards to connection. I assumed it was because I was playing on dedicated servers

But I was just host? Oh boy. That puts a damper on things if true.

Impala26

I'm patient with it too, but I know it's because I'm a Halo campaign junky and freak fan boy that tried to go pro in the past. I have played a TON of Halo 1, 2, and 3. So I'm eager...

However, what angers me the most is that the vast majority of the player base will not be as patient as you or I. Heck, as you pointed out...even JC threw in the towel already. People are burnt out on broken releases (BF4 anyone?), so this is just the worst thing they could have done. There is a pretty big risk that the population of the MCC will not recover, especially with so many great releases around the corner (Dragon Age Inquisition, Call Duty Advanced Warfare etc). There are plenty of other working games people can sink their time into.

343 exuded confidence in their reveal of this game. It almost felt like a redemption from the Halo 4 MP. I actually have far less confidence in 343's ability to ensure quality now. No one is saying this game wasn't hard to put together, but if you promise so much you better bust your ass to deliver. That's me speaking as a consumer and we are all ignorant of what happens in a studio. It just doesn't matter though. You fail with something this big, you fail really hard and this world isn't filled with very merciful/forgiving people.

For sure, if I'm available today hit me up. Sounds great!

I agree with you about some gamers jumping ship, and while it does worry a little, this title is so content heavy that typical AAA console releases kind of look like small potatoes next to this game. In terms of fan/community impact, this game is practically like launching an MMO for a console and I fully imagine it sticking around in the general gaming psyche longer than the rest of this particular season's releases.

This is of course assuming all the myriad of kinks are worked out in a reasonably timely manner of course...

We're looking to (hopefully) start around 9pm EST if all things go well. Trust me when I say that you might just be more upbeat about things like me after a few rounds of Halo CE in juicy HD and 60fps. Feel free to bring friends with you if you'd like too! :D

rrc1594

'cause that certainly would be something after I praised Halo 3 so much, haha. The one game I've played of Halo 3 was the best I've ever had in regards to connection. I assumed it was because I was playing on dedicated servers

No pure speculation, on my bottom left screen it has said plenty of time connecting to dedicated servers.

jem0208

I'm pretty sure it will use dedicated servers. Considering they've explicitly said it will.

I have a feeling sometimes we use dedicated servers and others we use P2P.

Madness

http://www.unitedfrontgames.com/ufg-microsoft/

The team here at United Front Games has been working on a unified interface that spans all four Halo games and ties them together into one cohesive experience. This means that you’ll see each Halo game side-by-side as you select your favourite missions, and you can play ranked competitive playlists that seamlessly span multiple Halo titles without having to “switch” Halo titles!

I never knew this but it seems 343 didn't even do the UI work themselves either. They outsourced it to a local Vancouver studio called United Front Games. Really makes you wonder if this the reason so many things are glitchy or buggy. Just have major parts of the game be worked on and then try and make it all work together.

H2A Multiplayer (Certain Affinity)
H2A Remastered Campaign (Saber Interactive)
H2A Cinematics (Blur)
H2A Terminals (The Sequence Group)
UI/Menus (United Front Games)

rrc1594

From other Thread

We DO have dedicated servers.

First off – and I will say this for the next hundred years – SORRY – we are fixing it. It’s getting better slowly today and we expect that trend to continue, but what you’re seeing currently is actually just an element of this complicated problem – we do in fact use dedicated servers for matchmade games, but as an emergency contingency, MCC is designed to fall back to traditional peer-hosted gameplay in the event that there are connectivity issues with the dedicated servers. This can happen for a variety of reasons including intermittent unavailability of dedicated servers, poor ping times to the dedicated server datacenters, or network configuration issues that prevent you from being able to access the dedicated servers. We’re busy getting stuff fixed and improved, and I promise you I will give you a full breakdown of what happened (and it’s multiple compounding things) after we fix it all. And Dan is going to update everyone on the situation and improvements later today.

And sorry for periods of radio silence, we're literally rushing around fixing stuff.

Halo 3 is still giving me pad vibration, in both campaign and multi, despite the fact I have it disabled. This is not a problem in the other titles.

Is there a way to universally turn off vibration on the Xbox One like there was on the 360?

Impala26

I'm pretty sure it will use dedicated servers. Considering they've explicitly said it will.

I have a feeling sometimes we use dedicated servers and others we use P2P.

Hey Jem, how late can you typically play on a given weeknight (local time)?

If we're getting going to late for you, maybe we can arrange customs days on Saturdays and/or Sundays so HaloGAF can do some cross-the-pond gaming? I'll talk to Mix and Co. about it tonight.

I never knew this but it seems 343 didn't even do the UI work themselves either. They outsourced it to a local Vancouver studio called United Front Games. Really makes you wonder if this the reason so many things are glitchy or buggy. Just have major parts of the game be worked on and then try and make it all work together.

H2A Cinematics (Blur)
Well it's safe to say that shouldn't ever be done again

rrc1594

If we're getting going to late for you, maybe we can arrange customs days on Saturdays and/or Sundays so HaloGAF can do some cross-the-pond gaming? I'll talk to Mix and Co. about it tonight.

I'm also available late nights just saying

GT- l Hobokiller l

TheXbox

H2A Cinematics (Blur)
Logos (343 Industries)

Omni

H2A Cinematics (Blur)
Honestly, these guys really dropped the fucking ball with the UI. It kinda just looks okay and that's it. I still am annoyed that not everything lines up like it should and the roster is literally just tacked on, though.

Functionally? It's pretty awful.

Has that studio done anything this big before? Can't open that link here

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Honestly, these guys really dropped the fucking ball with the UI. It kinda just looks okay and that's it. I still am annoyed that not everything lines up like it should and the roster is literally just tacked on, though.

Functionally? It's pretty awful.

Has that studio done anything this big before? Can't open that link here

United Front? They made Sleeping Dogs,which is an excellent game (with decent UI, funny enough).

Impala26

I'm also available late nights just saying

GT- l Hobokiller l

Playing halo 2 online again.

:*)

When it works it's beautiful.

Yinz are happy to join myself, Mix, whoever/whenever. GT is same: Impala26

I gets the feeling more Halo 2 Classic and CE shenanigans are expected to go down tonight. I'll definitely be pushing Mix for some Objective gametypes though. Hang 'em High CTF was the GOAT gametype for my buddies back in the day.

EDIT: (RE: "Yinz"-- Yes, I'm from Pittsburgh)

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I realize they prob cant say, hey the game is planned to be fixed and working by 6pm. But, they could at least say something like, we are sorry but we are projecting the game to be in stable condition by friday evening.

Ugh if its not fixed by tomm evening, this game is fucked, it has to work for its first weekend, so many things will go wrong if it doesn't.

Omni

United Front? They made Sleeping Dogs,which is an excellent game (with decent UI, funny enough).

Sleeping Dogs? I had no idea. Though I've never played it and the port wasn't exactly enticing so I guess it just slipped by me

Such a shame. I honestly feel like members of this community could conjure up something more functional and aesthetically pleasing than what we've got.

jem0208

I can usually play till about 12 (so 7pm EST?) probably. I can play later on Tuesdays and Sundays because I don't have lessons on Mondays and Wednesdays and obviously Fridays and Saturdays I'm good to play late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom