• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
No way the option to disable sprint would be included in H5. I would much more prefer an option to disable aim-down sights for scope anyway, but obviously that's out of the question.

Maps are made with these abilities in mind, even sprint, so there's no going back at this point.

FyreWulff

No way the option to disable sprint would be included in H5. I would much more prefer an option to disable aim-down sights for scope anyway, but obviously that's out of the question.

Maps are made with these abilities in mind, even sprint, so there's no going back at this point.

Increase the base player speed. Now your larger maps work again.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
edit: 343, make everyone happy and add in functionality for game modes to disable all Spartan Abilities. Then Forge maps can be tailor made for no-sprint.

Could be done. Take this idea and put it into a dedicated playlist.

Classic Slayer

Would be nice to have that much flexibility in game mode settings.

Ampoc

Neo Member
The first Halo game to have sprint also had the option to remove Sprint entirely from the game. An option that disappeared for Halo 4.

Give players the option to disable sprint. "But it's a base mechanic!" Yeah, you can disable jumping already. Sprint isn't that special to get an exemption.

Yeah. Its funny because modders had to deliver the game-types 343i slipped out on in Halo 4 (Assault, customize-able infection, etc).

Playing classic slayer on Halo 4 (no sprint) on some really well made remakes was actually really fun. Playing a lot of that during the summer.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
No matter what Josh says, sprint is trash and will never have a place in Halo.

The longer they keep insisting on making Halo gameplay a watered down experience, the less confidence I have in their ability to make a good Halo game. Straight and simple.

All you're doing is expanding the maps, compressing actual active combat interactions and greatly increasing anomalous outcomes. It doesn't add compelling gameplay, so why does it keep getting added?

Everything I have seen from Halo 5 just does not interest me, except the lighting engine. The mechanics themselves are several notches below the quality I expect from a Halo game or alternatively a competitive shooter.

Madness

Another thing about immersion. How/why does a 7 foot+ Spartan super soldier wearing a massive helmet/visor that is electronically linked to his gun and has a reticle displayed in his field of view, need to aim down sights with his gun? Where is the supposed immersion there? Especially when there is a canon reason for no ADS?

I'd have more respect for their design decisions if they just came out straight and said, look guys, Call of Duty is a sales beast, you nerds are going to buy our games and play them anyways, we're tired of reviewers and other players saying our game play is old, our games need iron sights and sprint, we want to cater to these individuals so that they might play Halo.

"It's nothing personal, sonny, it's just business."

klodeckel

Banned
Damn this wall art looks great

sdDuBj5.jpg

CeKwW76.jpg

Found on reddit

"No way"? Lol. I remember Frank saying the biggest lesson they learned from H4 was offering more options to the player base so everybody could at least be happy in customs.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
Game design doesn't really work like that. They're testing one core way to play. Sure, it would be nice to have a toggle-able option, and maybe there will be when it launches next year or a patch or two down the line, but fact of the matter is that 343 wants sprint to be a core gameplay mechanic, not a secondary one.

"No way"? Lol. I remember Frank saying the biggest lesson they learned from H4 was offering more options to the player base so everybody could at least be happy in customs.
Well if we're given an option to disable sprint, I would like six other options under "base player traits" so I can disable all of these added spartan abilities.

jelly

Yep.

I've seen enough of the Halo 5 footage to see sprint is far too common to get about normally. They fell right into the same trap, base speed isn't fast to accomadate sprint so you sprint burst every few seconds and it frankly sucks beyond belief when you should be making your way around the map like a majestic flowing spartan on a mission to kill or rocking the objective. There is no smoothness, it's stop start over and over.

Booshka

Yep.

I've seen enough of the Halo 5 footage to see sprint is far too common to get about normally. They fell right into the same trap, base speed isn't fast to accomadate sprint so you sprint burst every few seconds and it frankly sucks beyond belief when you should be making your way around the map like a majestic flowing spartan on a mission to kill or rocking the objective. There is no smoothness, it's stop start over and over.

This is a great way of putting it, there is a flow and smoothness in a consistently fast base movespeed.

Just look at Defrag videos from Quake 3, now Halo can't get to that level of control and speed, but for God's sake, at least strive for it.

Ramirez

Still arguing about sprint, huh?

He writes it out, clear as day, for all of you. The vast majority of people expect to be able to sprint in a FPS, it's really as simple as that. This is a business, not a hardcore fanboy charity.

they will never remove Sprint from Halo 5

Write it on your forehead if you have to, seems ya'll forget sometimes or act like making a million posts about it is gonna change shit.

But go ahead and keep complaining about Sprint for the next 3 years, I'm sure they'll get the message in Halo 6

DopeyFish

He writes it out, clear as day, for all of you. The vast majority of people expect to be able to sprint in a FPS, it's really as simple as that. This is a business, not a hardcore fanboy charity.

they are going to need a charity to make up for the upcoming large drop in sales.

Omni

Finally watching Nightfall.

Just finished first episode. I was expecting a lot worse. Locke doesn't seem too bad either? /shrug

DopeyFish

lol, sure.

Everyone in this thread will be there day 1, cheeks spread wide.

No one else will be, as Halo fans will have destroyed any hype for anyone else.

If they can't make Halo fans excited, they can't make the general populace excited.

They're kissing the asses of the wrong fanbase.

I'm picking up what you're putting down. Reach and Halo 4' player population and decline were an amazingly clear indicator of the general population's interest in sprint and armor abilities/perks/whatever. This is why History 101 is a good thing to know, so we don't make the same mistakes again...

Ampoc

Neo Member
Finally watching Nightfall.

Just finished first episode. I was expecting a lot worse. Locke doesn't seem too bad either? /shrug

The show was so bleh. Acting isn't very good, plot is pretty cliche and the enemies they encounter in the show made it all the more boring since they're only cool in like the first 2 episodes. Only good actor is the guy who plays Locke, the rest had some really bad dialogue. I'd rate the show 6/10 at best.

klodeckel

Banned
Speaking for myself I am really looking forward especially to the division ranking system in the beta. If they get this thing right like in LoL it will become a reason for a lot of people to always come back to the game.

Ramirez

I'm picking up what you're putting down. Reach and Halo 4' player population and decline were an amazingly clear indicator of the general population's interest in sprint and armor abilities/perks/whatever. This is why History 101 is a good thing to know, so we don't make the same mistakes again...

I don't think sprint or AA's had anything to do with the decline of those games populations for the majority of people. I just think Halo is way past its prime.

The beta will decide that. Most people dropped H4 after first 3 weeks. If Halo 5 isn't really fun, why would they buy? Especially after the fiasco that's been MCC launch.

Everyone here knew how bad the Halo 4 stuff sounded, yet they still bought it. It's not going to be any different with 5.

klodeckel

Banned
Another H5 tidbit:

If you aren't sprinting at max speed (achieved after about 1 sec), getting shot will cancel your try to sprint. At max speed that effect won't be there. So, you’re stopped from sprinting while taking damage (during ramp-up to speed).
Source | Source 2 | Source 3

I turned on my Xbox 360 to mess around with Halo 3 ODST for a bit and WOW I can't go back. This game and the rest on 360 are so slow and clunky and choppy now wow man.

Omni

Another H5 tidbit:

If you aren't sprinting at max speed (achieved after about 1 sec), getting shot will cancel your try to sprint. At max speed that effect won't be there. So, you’re stopped from sprinting while taking damage (during ramp-up to speed).
Source | Source 2 | Source 3

That's silly. What's the point of even having sprint if you're punished so much for using it? This is one situation where I don't think you can ever cater towards both sides. Either implement it properly or take it out completely, IMO.

TheOddOne

Eh, too many people sliding round with shotguns for me. Really frustrating half the time

PvE is really good though. That new Crota raid is fantastic
I've had some frustrating matches because of the overpowered perks and loadouts, but they have been few and far between that it has not hampered my enjoyment of the multiplayer. It’s still unbalanced as hell, but underneath it there is just some magic that keeps me coming back.

PvE is ok. The mission design for most of them is so repetitive, and makes most of the experience forgettable.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I look forward to division ranking as well. It will be nice to see Tashi, Omlet, Ram, and Funk in the scrub tier division. I AM ROGER CLEMENS.

B b b but my CE pistol. Get rekt.

IiWURzf.gif

I've had some frustrating matches because of the overpowered perks and loadouts, but they have been few and far between that it has not hampered my enjoyment of the multiplayer. It’s still unbalanced as hell, but underneath it there is just some magic that keeps me coming back.

PvE is ok. The mission design for most of them is so repetitive, and makes most of the experience forgettable.

You should try Titanfall.

daedalius

I don't think sprint or AA's had anything to do with the decline of those games populations for the majority of people. I just think Halo is way past its prime.

Everyone here knew how bad the Halo 4 stuff sounded, yet they still bought it. It's not going to be any different with 5.

Not to mention there are more multiplayer games vying for people's time than when h2/h3 were in their prime. Cod wasn't even a thing back then.

Missed all the salt last page. Lol
Such sprint
Very horse
Ded

tootsi666

Halo is way past its prime, but so was Counter-Strike couple years ago. Now CS has +100k players daily. Trends change.

Teams need to be better balanced. I just was put in a game against 4 players with ranks of 6, 6, 8, and 9, whereas my team had 6 (Me), 4, 1, and 1, the later of the two who left mid and the other towards the end.

Edit: It just occurred to me that I should put this in the actual MCC thread.

Welfare

Halo is "past its prime" because we have had shit games and shit support for 4 years straight.

Blame the developers on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom