• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

So I was sitting on the Playlist selection page, not even in matchmaking and it put me in a TS game with 11/10 people...

I mean I'm not really complaining but...

Impala26

Might be a Legendary ending; unconfirmed.

That'd sure be interesting given that Halo 2 was the only campaign WITHOUT a special legendary ending.

Wait, maybe Reach didn't either?

So I was sitting on the Playlist selection page, not even in matchmaking and it put me in a TS game with 11/10 people...

I mean I'm not really complaining but...

Oh 343 knows what the GAFers like...

TheOddOne

I like the new BR, even the techy scope they put on it; even though it takes too much screen space away.

ibdtNOXsQBCc6H.gif

The DMR is a mess though, the shooting animation looks like it's trying to emulate that of the BR, and that scope is way too big.

iO1gOsT4m8Tay.gif

That SMG scope is also taking up so much space.

ibzQiRS8qu0Wuf.gif

The overall weapon design has been fine so far.

jem0208

So, I decided to do some timing:

- 1st attempt: Got to 4 minutes, backed out and restarted.

- 2nd attempt: Got a match at 1:20, CE slayer on prisoner is voted in and then I disconnect.

- 3rd attempt: Got to 4 minutes, backed out and restarted.

- 4th attempt: Got to 4 minutes, backed out and gave up.

It was working really well half an hour ago.

I'm in the UK btw.

singhr1

It is just a small detail, I really like that "Red vs Blue" approach by the way :)

Same.

I wonder if they are going to go the Halo 4 route of contextualizing multiplayer by placing it on the Infinity or something similar. The whole Breakout mode on that one map is clearly imitating a sort of simulation mode so I won't be suprised.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I like the new BR, even the techy scope they put on it; even though it takes too much screen space away.

The DMR is a mess though, the shooting animation looks like it's trying to emulate that of the BR, and that scope is way too big.

Agreed on all counts.

Impala26

Should we (if it's even allowed by GAF rules) make a dedicated thread to logging matchmaking search attempts in it's own Thread here on community-side?

I'm sure 343 folks would be happy to see something like that.

Of all the things they have changed in Halo 5, I'm going to continue to voice my dislike of the weapon designs. Besides the Assault Rifle, everything looks really "off" to me. No surprise because the AR is the most faithful looking model. Almost all of the guns have sharp edges and too many useless detailing work that are far from practical on a weapon.

Pistol: Why can't we have that old Halo 1 look that we all love? Silver, shiny and smooth. The new one is dark, full of odd lining details and just looks underwhelming.

BR: The whole thing looks off in first person. The site rail is far too long, the light gray tone is just flat and that type of red dot looks really out of place.

SMG: Looks like they just wanted to make it look like a sort of P90 hybrid. The square site at the end of the gun is...awkward. The Halo 2 Anniversary version (MP) is perfect. Smooth and proportionally appealing while maintaining that classic look.

Shotgun: Did anyone even like the new Halo 4 shotgun look? I love that spin off the old pump classics that Halo 1 brought to the table. Looked simple and pleasing.

DMR: I don't know what to say but it just looks awkward. The Halo Reach DMR even looked better. It looks super long and unwieldy.

I really do think this is important. Halo always had great looking guns. Seems like they are making everything more edgy and drab and going way too far away from the classic looks. Halo doesn't need that type of change...the weapons are iconic.

http://www.unitedfrontgames.com/ufg-microsoft/

I never knew this but it seems 343 didn't even do the UI work themselves either. They outsourced it to a local Vancouver studio called United Front Games. Really makes you wonder if this the reason so many things are glitchy or buggy. Just have major parts of the game be worked on and then try and make it all work together.

H2A Multiplayer (Certain Affinity)
H2A Remastered Campaign (Saber Interactive)
H2A Cinematics (Blur)
H2A Terminals (The Sequence Group)
UI/Menus (United Front Games)

Who was responsible for Halo: CE, Halo 3 and Halo 4? It seems like there were 100 companies involved in shipping this thing.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 5 Pistol looks great, very Halo-2ish. Always like Halo 2 pistol more than Halo CE's. (ODST's is also damn great). The pistol should be black. It is a tad small admittedly.

I'd like to see Halo Reach-like DMR again, it looked really good, even though i dislike single-shot rifles (pistol for single-shots, Covie Carbine for rapid-fire single-shots, BR for burst fire).

EDIT About Halo 5 BR:
Note the display:
"No Safe!
And the boxes seem to indicate fire mode, i think. Nice details. I really like how it looks. Looks better in black than gray like in Halo 4.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Should we (if it's even allowed by GAF rules) make a dedicated thread to logging matchmaking search attempts in it's own Thread here on community-side?

I'm sure 343 folks would be happy to see something like that.

For search time issues we have a specific thread for that in our support forum.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Shotgun: Did anyone even like the new Halo 4 shotgun look? I love that spin off the old pump classics that Halo 1 brought to the table. Looked simple and pleasing.
I think it looks amazing, but most folks here seem to dislike it.

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 4 shotty? It looks OK, though i wouldn't call it any better than the old shotgun, but then the old shotguns didn't look anything more than OK either. Shotguns rarely look good in games, i think. No idea why.

jem0208

Pistol: Why can't we have that old Halo 1 look that we all love? Silver, shiny and smooth. The new one is dark, full of odd lining details and just looks underwhelming.

I think the CE pistol is incredibly ugly. Really don't like it, it's too fat and stubby.

I also quite liked 4's shotgun. More so than previous games actually. It looked a bit basic in the other games. Edit: Reach's Shotty was really good as well.

5's BR also looks really nice, the only thing I would change would be to make the RDS more integrated with the rifle rather than a removable attachment.

Impala26

You know what I'd love to see in Halo 5?

Dual-fire modes for more weapons. Whether it's something we toggle through a button (D-pad maybe?) or context-sensitive (like scoped in, or holding down trigger), I'd love to see more. Right now what are the only weapons with dual fire modes, like Plasma Pistol and *shudders* Boltshot? Oh well I guess Light Rifle had the different modes based on scoped vs. hipfire.

Either way, I'd love if it more (if not ALL) weapons had some sort of secondary fire mode. Perhaps this might just be me yearing for games like Perfect Dark where EVERY weapon had a toggle-able secondary fire mode. It would be cool though.

For search time issues we have a specific thread for that in our support forum.

Alright, thanks for the heads-up and link there Tashi! :)

Woorloog

Banned
You know what I'd love to see in Halo 5?

Dual-fire modes for more weapons. Whether it's something we toggle through a button (D-pad maybe?) or context-sensitive (like scoped in, or holding down trigger), I'd love to see more. Right now what are the only weapons with dual fire modes, like Plasma Pistol and *shudders* Boltshot? Oh well I guess Light Rifle had the different modes based on scoped vs. hipfire.

Either way, I'd love if it more (if not ALL) weapons had some sort of secondary fire mode. Perhaps this might just be me yearing for games like Perfect Dark where EVERY weapon had a toggle-able secondary fire mode. It would be cool though.

Would certainly spice up the game. Also could allow pruning up some redundant weapons, i think.
I said it before, i think Halo has quite boring weapons actually. Oh, they fit the feel of the universe well but i figure they could add some crazy stuff too. The Forerunner weapons in Halo 4 did try.
And this can tie to alt-fire quite well.
AR could be integrated to BR: Alt-fire being fire-mode switch between full auto and burst fire. (This would also give the SMG a clear place in the sandbox as a pure automatic weapon, no idea for its alt-fire though. Dual Wield?)
Plasma Rifle could have some kind of plasma-thrower (think plasma flamer), with short range and high energy use.
Brute Shot could have alternate grenade types (impact-explosive and bouncing?).
Beam Rifle could have Focus Rifle-like mode.
For some, like Magnum, figuring out alt-fires is difficult but not impossible.

Cow

Halo 1 4v4 is just absolute chaos, awful spawns on small maps. Halo 2 4v4 is great if you get BR starts. Halo 3 4v4 is amazing, given a good connection. Standoff is one of the best maps in the series.

Bungie really just kept getting better until Reach came out.

BigShow36

ibdtNOXsQBCc6H.gif

iO1gOsT4m8Tay.gif

ibzQiRS8qu0Wuf.gif

Why is 343 obsessed with boxy scopes?

Booked time off for a multiplayer LAN, got 4 of us trying to search...why is the in-game party/menu system so broken? If I back out to restart the search (as party leader) it loses connection, and none of us can join each other. We have to restart the game.

Pretty damned frustrating.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I know a lot people are bugging about MM, but I'm curious: are the campaigns running well in solo and co-op?

Impala26

I know a lot people are bugging about MM, but I'm curious: are the campaigns running well in solo and co-op?

I'm about halfway through H2A solo everything was running smoothly save for a few AI quirks that I don't think were present in the original game.

Karl2177

I've only had issues with the terminals, but people are reporting major frame rate drops during Halo 4's campaign, issues with brightness and audio, and the worst is the game crashing after missions. It appears the achievement issues that still exist are part of the Xbone OS problems, not the MCC.

Fuchsdh

Pinnacle of shotgun design in Halo games. I absolutely hate what they did to it in Halo 4. Though admittedly I have problems with most of Halo 4's needless redesigns.

Interestingly enough Reach is the Shotgun I hate the most. I like the Halo 4 gun because it looks like weapon tech has actually evolved somewhat in 500 years, although its first person view and weapon sound are a bit lacking. Halo 1-3 style was my favorite though; the UNSC weapons in general had a sleek minimalism to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom