• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, if anyone's having trouble getting the pitchin a tent achievement I found a walkthrough video showing you the best way to idle in MM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK7KoydRj4I

Here's a shot of how your screen should look

H4tent_zpsadc75361.png

Hope that helps

Random17

COD comparisons are fine, but Advanced Warfare comparisons are not; the game has been out for 6 weeks. The elements in the Halo 5 Beta have probably been in the concept phase well before Advanced Warfare was even announced publicly.

-Ryn

Banned
COD comparisons are fine, but Advanced Warfare comparisons are not; the game has been out for 6 weeks. The elements in the Halo 5 Beta have probably been in the concept phase well before Advanced Warfare was even announced publicly.
I'm sure people will keep that in mind when comparing the two

They won't
CoD copying Halo
thekingisback.gif

...those clips are gorgeous.
This game is gorgeous.
GORGEOUS.

RowdyReverb

Thinking back, how would you guys handle a boss battle in Halo?

As you near the end of Halo 5, some behind the scenes matchmaking takes place and another player is cast as the final boss. Each player sees themselves as playing as MC and the other player as Locke. There are multiple rounds for the battle that are broken up by cutscenes showing one or the other players' armor breaking and shooting sparks, so it doesn't end too quickly. You could even have some Reach-esque visor cracks after you've lost a round.

If no players are found quickly enough, then the boss uses almost fighting game-like AI to jump and thrust about while firing BR rounds at you.

For one, I think you'd have to focus on alternative playstyles beyond "shoot X for Y amount of times" like with Tartarus and Sesa' Refumee. Metroid Prime does a pretty good job with boss fights, Echoes especially. As far as in-universe stuff, I think CE's "frog blast the vent core" segment and Halo 3's Scarabs were good examples of boss battles in the Halo sandbox. Fighting infantry-sized enemies should probably be reduced to minibosses with really good AI, for example Elite Ultras in Halo Reach. There's more potential for bosses that are player versus environment that give you a lot more freedom in combat, like the aforementioned Maw ventcore gauntlet. Of course you'll have to unload some rounds into bosses, but the Maw fight was really more about map traversal, efficient movement and proper aim, just like CE's design philosophy. While you don't ever really need it, there's also the risk and reward of the Armory where you can get more ammo to damage the vent cores, but at the cost of having to slog through Flood to get back there.

The first Enforcer fight was also handled pretty well, imo. You're given substantial ammo (including a hidden Carbine loaded way beyond max capacity) and several routes under the gondola to approach it from multiple sides. It also manages to stick to a known combat design philosiphy in that you can take down its shields to damage it head-on, or flank it to get it by surprise. It can also be hampered in a variety of ways such as picking off its arms, forerunner-needler projectors, etc. Or, it can be skipped entirely! By avoiding its projectiles and hitting all four conduits and then activating the gondola, it'll explode. The first Enforcer fight is pretty much the exception to prove the rule in terms of bad boss fights in Halo 2. It can evidently be done, and done so well that multiple playstyles can take it on - marksmen can take down its shields and disable its weapons one by one, grenadiers can flank it and blow it up from multiple angles, and speedrunners can forego it altogether - it's just a matter of designing enemies that can provide that experience.

I think part of the issue is the inherent power creep / serial escalation introduced in the newer titles. An Enforcer is a run-of-the-mill, albeit advanced, Forerunner sentry. Obviously this design philosophy would be harder to implement against a historically unkillable entity like a one-on-one Didact fight. I feel like automatons or more personal engagements are generally the way to go, and I've always really wanted a Strato-Sentinel fight. I feel like Strato-Sentinels would be a natural extension of something like the Enforcer fight with a little Scarab thrown in.

Once you damage the Strato-Sentinel enough you could even hop in and pilot it like a mech!

Akai__

Why can I not play H5 yet. Franklez, tashi give us our compensation now

They are busy giving the game to some "famous" YouTubers and HARDCORE Halo fans.

We aren't hardcore enough, because we don't make money out of it, aren't biased and all we can do is complaining.
/s

IHaveIce

Banned
They are busy giving the game to some "famous" YouTubers and HARDCORE Halo fans.

We aren't hardcore enough, because we don't make money out of it, aren't biased and all we can do is complaining.
/s

God am I happy that SOOO great people like Greenskull are probably being able to play it already.

Or such great personalities like Saucey and rest of the infamous beyond crew.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Can't wait to check out all those Advanced new tactics for Warfare in the beta.

Akai__

Multi Flag on Standoff. 2 dudes who searched together get split into 2 teams. The guy that joined my team decided to hop into a Warthog and start to betray me and my other teammates, while his buddy, who was in the other team drives him arround.

Booted him, after he killed me 2 times. GG...

DJ Gunner

Multi Flag on Standoff. 2 dudes who searched together get split into 2 teams. The guy that joined my team decided to hop into a Warthog and start to betray me and my other teammates, while his buddy, who was in the other team drives him arround.

Booted him, after he killed me 2 times. GG...

This is happening alot- again. Apparently the smaller team count came at the expense of party preservation. I've had at least 5 games now where people get split and start to betray because of it.

Hype

REKT

Same thing happened to me
:(
lol

I wouldn't have a "boss" battle, per se. I'd have something more like the Halo 3 scarab fights, big intricate setpiece battles and restrict the named character combat to cutscenes.

After two games of 6v6 where most people quit out I finally get into a full lobby of 8v8 in Big Team.

Then the fuckers vote for Halo 4 complex over Halo 2 Blood Gulch and Halo 2A Stonetown.

smh

EDIT: Sitting here in the lobby for 5 minutes now waiting for the stuff to start. "Setting up game..."

People are leaving left and right. Coooool

Akai__

Something is wrong with the sound channles in Halo 3. Nades that explode on the left side, explode on the right speaker. Sniper and Mauler shots are even more noticeable. They are just all over the place.

Is this a known bug? Because it isn't happening in every game.

Overdoziz

Banned
Something is wrong with the sound channles in Halo 3. Nades that explode on the left side, explode on the right speaker. Sniper and Mauler shots are even more noticeable. They are just all over the place.

Is this a known bug? Because it isn't happening in every game.
Ye it's pretty annoying.

Sprint isn't going anywhere.

Doesn't make it any less of a shitty mechanic.

Scust at those saying "it's not that bad!" smh

Honestly, at this point I would live with Sprint if i could turn ADS off. Give me SOMETHING that tells me you are listening.

Has this been posted in here?

http://youtu.be/HJ8S2CwuJ50

Shameful. Maybe its some will say its unfair to compare to AW but some of these mechanics are in past CoD, Destiny and Titanfall. Do something Halo like for once. The issue is, they are basically becoming the same game.

-Ryn

Banned
I had an idea for how a one on one boss battle could go and could've gone in H4. Now with H5's mechanics you could argue it'd work even better though.

Essentially I the idea takes all of your abilities and enhances them to super levels. Now whether this would be through some kickass mecha suit you find or are given prior to the battle or some junk about your suits power level being boosted over 9000, whatever.

So your thrusters would be super powered for instant recharge or something. You'd be able to constantly hover (which could tie into a level like the one at the end of H4 since you're in the middle of a frikkin' cereal bowl and the milk is a tangification beam). It would just be the rule of cool taken to DBZ levels. There would be floating geometry everywhere for you to use to your advantage if you should choose. The force grip the Didact has would be the first thing you would work to take out. If I recall wasn't that a thingy he had in his armors wrist? So first phase would you be taking that out somehow. The next phase would be you fighting him with either guns or good ol' fashioned fisticuffs (perhaps with hard light swords). Melee combat would be slightly enhanced for this part and might involve countering or QTE's. I'm thinking it almost might be a good idea to use Metal Gear Risings final boss fight as an example for that. Again though if you want you can just fight from a distance but you may have to deal with hazards from your enviornment as a trade off.

The last phase would be you using a god level omega supreme reality shattering pants destroyingly awesome ground pound to the Didact's stupid face!

After that there'd be a bit about taking off the Didact's helmet to see that you've punched goodness and justice back into him then there's rainbow with a big dance and then something about #butts.

For one, I think you'd have to focus on alternative playstyles beyond "shoot X for Y amount of times" like with Tartarus and Sesa' Refumee. Metroid Prime does a pretty good job with boss fights, Echoes especially. As far as in-universe stuff, I think CE's "frog blast the vent core" segment and Halo 3's Scarabs were good examples of boss battles in the Halo sandbox. Fighting infantry-sized enemies should probably be reduced to minibosses with really good AI, for example Elite Ultras in Halo Reach. There's more potential for bosses that are player versus environment that give you a lot more freedom in combat, like the aforementioned Maw ventcore gauntlet. Of course you'll have to unload some rounds into bosses, but the Maw fight was really more about map traversal, efficient movement and proper aim, just like CE's design philosophy. While you don't ever really need it, there's also the risk and reward of the Armory where you can get more ammo to damage the vent cores, but at the cost of having to slog through Flood to get back there.

The first Enforcer fight was also handled pretty well, imo. You're given substantial ammo (including a hidden Carbine loaded way beyond max capacity) and several routes under the gondola to approach it from multiple sides. It also manages to stick to a known combat design philosiphy in that you can take down its shields to damage it head-on, or flank it to get it by surprise. It can also be hampered in a variety of ways such as picking off its arms, forerunner-needler projectors, etc. Or, it can be skipped entirely! By avoiding its projectiles and hitting all four conduits and then activating the gondola, it'll explode. The first Enforcer fight is pretty much the exception to prove the rule in terms of bad boss fights in Halo 2. It can evidently be done, and done so well that multiple playstyles can take it on - marksmen can take down its shields and disable its weapons one by one, grenadiers can flank it and blow it up from multiple angles, and speedrunners can forego it altogether - it's just a matter of designing enemies that can provide that experience.

I think part of the issue is the inherent power creep / serial escalation introduced in the newer titles. An Enforcer is a run-of-the-mill, albeit advanced, Forerunner sentry. Obviously this design philosophy would be harder to implement against a historically unkillable entity like a one-on-one Didact fight. I feel like automatons or more personal engagements are generally the way to go, and I've always really wanted a Strato-Sentinel fight. I feel like Strato-Sentinels would be a natural extension of something like the Enforcer fight with a little Scarab thrown in.

Once you damage the Strato-Sentinel enough you could even hop in and pilot it like a mech!
I like all of this. I'm just making circular motions at my screen while pretending to hug it. Mini bosses like the Enforcers were interesting fights in Halo 2 to me and the Scarabs in Halo 3 were the bees mecha knees. The strato Sentinel scares the shit out of me for some reason. Just freaky looking.

As you near the end of Halo 5, some behind the scenes matchmaking takes place and another player is cast as the final boss. Each player sees themselves as playing as MC and the other player as Locke. There are multiple rounds for the battle that are broken up by cutscenes showing one or the other players' armor breaking and shooting sparks, so it doesn't end too quickly. You could even have some Reach-esque visor cracks after you've lost a round.

If no players are found quickly enough, then the boss uses almost fighting game-like AI to jump and thrust about while firing BR rounds at you.
So sort like the
Mirror Knight Boss
fight in Dark Souls II only with guns?

...that might actually be kinda cool. Imagine fighting a Pro tier player.

I wouldn't have a "boss" battle, per se. I'd have something more like the Halo 3 scarab fights, big intricate setpiece battles and restrict the named character combat to cutscenes.
So the Didact would be more like an obstacle rather than a direct target? Sounds CE esque almost. I like the idea.

Shameful. Maybe its some will say its unfair to compare to AW but some of these mechanics are in past CoD, Destiny and Titanfall. Do something Halo like for once. The issue is, they are basically becoming the same game.
Halo 5 was in devolpment before either of those were released as well. And what past CoD elements? I could see the argument with H4 but H5 has dropped most everything H4 tried.

RSB

Banned
Honestly, at this point I would live with Sprint if i could turn ADS off. Give me SOMETHING that tells me you are listening.
Since it is only cosmetic ADS they could totally add the option to use classic scopes if they wanted. The beta will only have cosmetic ADS, but I'll do my part, and (as Frankie himself suggested) coherently complain about it and hope they include it in the final game.

Akai__

Since it is only cosmetic ADS they could totally add the option to use classic scopes if they wanted. The beta will only have cosmetic ADS, but I'll do my part, and (as Frankie himself suggested) coherently complain about it and hope they include it in the final game.

Do we know how the feedback process will actually work? Surveys from 343i or are we just posting our opinion in every forum/community possible?

Do we know how the feedback process will actually work? Surveys from 343i or are we just posting our opinion in every forum/community possible?

They've said that we are going to be voting on some stuff from week to week, but I'm sure that they'll be gathering feedback from elsewhere as well.

-Ryn

Banned
Apparently there will be a forum or something on their site dedicated to beta feedback. There will also be a way to "talk" to some of the devs with your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom