• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mix

Is anyone else worried by the "Arena" specification?

No, it just means that they're going to build two seperate pieces to the Multiplayer suite, an Arena suite and a "larger MP mode" suite.

Arena will cater to what the fans of competitive Halo love. Even starts, 4v4, golden triangle of Guns, Melee, and Grenades (plus the added fourth layer with SA's).

The Latter of the two will be BTB crazy huge combat experiences, loadouts, vehicles, etc.

What? Why?

We already know we will get competetive Arena 4vs4 gameplay and on the other side a "larger MP experience". The Beta will only include the Arena part (with 7 maps / 3 modes).

Why is "Arena" bad now?

No, I like Arena, but what worries me is what the other half of MP will look like.

klodeckel

Banned
No, I like Arena, but what worries me is what the other half of MP will look like.

We know it' a "larger MP experience" - with vehicles, more players etc. Kampfheld was teasing at larger fights etc., so something like Big Team Battles - just in very big. I think he referred to the book "Reach" and the huge battles that were described there. ntklnr also was talking about "huge maps".

Mix

lol why does that worry you? If you like arena only play arena, if you like whatever this hopefully battlefield-esque mode will be then play it too, why are you worried about something you'll never play if you don't want to? It's like someone who's a CTF junkie saying, "Oh man, it's that Slayer shit. Keep that outta my Halo." It's not meant to be catered to one specific audience, it's supposed to appeal to many.

Madness

Arena Halo and Infinity Halo is my guess. Play tight quarters 4v4/5v5 or less Halo with on map weapons, equal starts, etc. And Infinity style from 5v5 probably upto 12v12 or 16v16 on massive maps that Ntkrnl probably was talking about, could probably call down weapons, maybe even vehicles this time etc.

Welfare

We know it' a "larger MP experience" - with vehicles, more players etc. Kampfheld was teasing at larger fights etc., so something like Big Team Battles - just in very big. I think he referred to the book "Reach" and the huge battles that were described there. ntklnr also was talking about "huge maps".
I just hope regular BTB is still in there.

RowdyReverb

That guy totally deserved to get insta-killed by that GP. If he had been paying attention, he'd have easily won than encounter.

Hopefully Battlefield-Esque greatness. Might as well go all out if you are doing another portion of multiplayer. Arena mode and Battlefield mod hell yes
I think the new Bigger Team Battle mode is going to be positioned to really sell the capabilities of the Azure platform. Only Forza and Titanfall have used Azure so far and since Halo is their flagship, I'm expecting some groundbreaking things.

lol why does that worry you? If you like arena only play arena, if you like whatever this hopefully battlefield-esque mode will be then play it too, why are you worried about something you'll never play if you don't want to? It's like someone who's a CTF junkie saying, "Oh man, it's that Slayer shit. Keep that outta my Halo." It's not meant to be catered to one specific audience, it's supposed to appeal to many.

I enjoy both modes equally, which is why I'm worried; I'm just hoping that there won't be any radical changes to the formula for BTB. But who knows, change can be fun I guess.

Omni

Arena Halo and Infinity Halo is my guess. Play tight quarters 4v4/5v5 or less Halo with on map weapons, equal starts, etc. And Infinity style from 5v5 probably upto 12v12 or 16v16 on massive maps that Ntkrnl probably was talking about, could probably call down weapons, maybe even vehicles this time etc.

Oh god, I hope not. Infinity slayer or whatever in Halo 4 ruined BTB. As well as every other playlist it was in. AWFUL. Unless you're talking like when you capture spots on maps you get vehicles and weapon drops (such as it was in Domination), then that's cool.

But they need to do away with kill streaks altogether. They're not needed in Halo.

Oh god, I hope not. Infinity slayer or whatever in Halo 4 ruined BTB. As well as every other playlist it was in. AWFUL. Unless you're talking like when you capture spots on maps you get vehicles and weapon drops (such as it was in Domination), then that's cool.

But they need to do away with kill streaks altogether. They're not needed in Halo.

I can see it now:

"Killing Frenzy"

"Hornet Support Available"

TheOddOne

Yo Frankie, PM me a beta code.

K,thanks.
homietheclown3.png

-Ryn

Banned
Intentional
Cool thanks dude

tumblr_mc3hg5VpQP1qcy0p7o1_500.gif

Boss Fight thoughts on a Sunday Afternoon
Sounds awesome dude.
Do you think that the Scarab like that could work for the finale of a game or would it need to be better to upgrade to that locust thing from Spartan Ops?

Confession time:
First time I ever fought a Scarab in H3 I thought the control room at the bottom of the Scarab was the weak point. I had killed everyone on board and wandered around trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. To be honest I don't remember if it was my cousin or me who killed the thing.

Make it not feel like a boss fight, like the Scarab battles in Halo 3. And out of the three 'boss fights' in H2 I think Regret's is handled the best.
Regret was an interesting boss fight but it felt kind of weak. As a regular mid boss though it's fine.

Halo 5 looks wonderful. So beautiful. I don't like the discrepancies between the Bulletin footage and this footage however, some of the things I was excited about being gone are back in, such as audible hitmarkers and the GP reticle.
I'm just gonna hope the Bulletin footage was from an update for the beta that just hasn't gone out yet.

belushy

Banned
I'm hoping we see those other 3 maps then since gameplay of that outside Midship was shown. Come'on random Xbone owners who are lucky enough to have access to the beta right now.

klodeckel

Banned
I'm hoping we see those other 3 maps then since gameplay of that outside Midship was shown. Come'on random Xbone owners who are lucky enough to have access to the beta right now.

I think these 3 are the only ones unlocked right now. The other 4 will be unlocked within the three weeks of the beta. That's how I understand it from the last Bulletin.

willow ve

Everything I see in these gameplay snippets needs to be on a toggle so people can turn it off.

Let's start a list.

1. Armor Abilities
2. ADS
3. Sprint
4. Spartan Chatter

I didn't realize how annoying the Spartan Chatter was until this latest round of clips. Everything is narrated. Friendly in blue court, enemy at sniper, I have rockets... it is endless, mind numbing, annoying chatter. Please put that on a toggle. I can't hear what's going on in the game because the game won't shut up.

Also the delivery of Snipeultaneous was cringeworthy/hilarious. It had to be intentional right?

I really liked when Invasion was rolled out in the Reach Beta. Fun mode, hope they have an equally fun surprise to rollout. Small scale arena is neat and all but it isn't all people play and neither is it the only thing to balance.

belushy

Banned
I really liked when Invasion was rolled out in the Reach Beta. Fun mode, hope they have an equally fun surprise to rollout. Small scale arena is neat and all but it isn't all people play and neither is it the only thing to balance.

Imagine you boot up Halo 5 beta for the last day, to get in the last fill. You notice that "Play Arena Multiplayer" isn't there anymore... instead you see "Play Infinity Battleground." Instantly your hands begin to shake and you get goosebumps all over your body. You click the a button and begin searching for players.

Searching....
Searching...
Searching.....

"31 Players found!"

Madness

People who have/are playing the beta are saying it's running smooth on dedicated servers or something. No way in hell Halo 5 beta screws up for general populace.

Don't know how to feel about that though. Barely over a month and MCC still a mess. It's crazy reading some earlier posts and all these people saying, just give them some time, this will be fixed in a week or two. Game has so many 1 star reviews on Amazon.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm convinced they are gonna hold another beta for larger modes or are going to have a surprise playlist. I hope it's the former though because I might not get to participate in this beta :(

Man. Missed the outside covy map
Now it won't load

Ninja'd?
I downloaded the vid so I'll upload if you can't see it

Imagine you boot up Halo 5 beta for the last day, to get in the last fill. You notice that "Play Arena Multiplayer" isn't there anymore... instead you see "Play Infinity Battleground." Instantly your hands begin to shake and you get goosebumps all over your body. You click the a button and begin searching for players.

Searching....
Searching...
Searching.....

"31 Players found!"
mybodyisready.gif

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halo-the-...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item339a794123

Ohoh. I should close my explorer very soon or I will do very stupid things.
Don't do it breh. Don't fall for it.

belushy

Banned
I'm convinced they are gonna hold another beta for larger modes or are going to have a surprise playlist. I hope it's the former though because I might not get to participate in this beta :(

I can totally see a 2nd beta. Maybe after E3 when they unveil the changes they made to the game based on the feedback they got. Will announce "#beta2" which is new BTB experience and FIREFIGHT 3.0!

-Ryn

Banned
Everything I see in these gameplay snippets needs to be on a toggle so people can turn it off.

Let's start a list.

1. Armor Abilities
2. ADS
3. Sprint
4. Spartan Chatter

I didn't realize how annoying the Spartan Chatter was until this latest round of clips. Everything is narrated. Friendly in blue court, enemy at sniper, I have rockets... it is endless, mind numbing, annoying chatter. Please put that on a toggle. I can't hear what's going on in the game because the game won't shut up.

Also the delivery of Snipeultaneous was cringeworthy/hilarious. It had to be intentional right?
I think at this point they're reveling in the cheese. It's totally on purpose.

Things that should be customizable

Player Menu
  • Spartan Chatter
  • ADS or Classic Zoom
  • Activation Method (Hold x to use/Hold lb+rb)
  • Assasinations
  • 1st or 3rd person (vehicles & player actions)

Game Menu
  • Gametype settings
  • Player Traits

Player traits and Gametype settings need to be at least as extensive or (preferably) more so than Reach. A sequel is supposed to ADD things not take them away. Player Traits should include things such as the new abilities and sprint. Game types need to have full customization again. Halo 4 was ridiculously limited. If players are unable to drop the flag in CTF there damn well better be a way to turn it off.

I can totally see a 2nd beta. Maybe after E3 when they unveil the changes they made to the game based on the feedback they got. Will announce "#beta2" which is new BTB experience and FIREFIGHT 3.0!
Here's hoping dude. I love betas. There's something about them you don't get with full releases. Maybe it's the glitches... good times are had with beta glitches...

It's probably the most needed, because BTB is when the apparent balance problems with the game are made aware, especially if it's going to go all ape-shit with ordinance and whatnot.

FyreWulff

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Halo-the-...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item339a794123

Ohoh. I should close my explorer very soon or I will do very stupid things.

It's not illegal, but..

Microsoft knows who they gave the code to, it'll just end up with both you and the other person banned.

Also, you have NO protection that this isn't a fake on eBay. eBay doesn't allow you to sell digital items and will NOT refund you if a digital auction completes and you don't get anything.

It's not illegal, but..

Microsoft knows who they gave the code to, it'll just end up with both you and the other person banned.

Also, you have NO protection that this isn't a fake on eBay. eBay doesn't allow you to sell digital items and will NOT refund you if a digital auction completes and you don't get anything.
Bam. So this. Rip.

-Ryn

Banned
Are 343 contractually obligated to do a set number of games? Or is it per game basis?

Id really like to see someone else have a crack after Halo 5
Well given that they were created for the sole purpose of continuing the Halo series... yeah they basically are.

woodland

Looks like xboxdvr is down :(

edit: back up but the outside midship vid is gone :(

edit; I may have quoted the wrong post. Whoops.

HALO 5 BETA CHANGE LIST

After listening to fan feedback for the first two weeks of the beta, then extending it to January 1st, we've made a list of changes that will be seen in our 2nd beta, which will be available from July 1st to July 14th. Many of these changes were taken from forum posts, while others are those that internal focus groups suggested. Others were suggested by our internal designers and modified so as best to align with our vision of widening appeal for Halo multiplayer.

-Shields now recharge when sprinting (Many complaints of it being useless otherwise)
-Sprint "max speed" requirement decreased from 3s of sprinting to 2s
-SmartScope now tightens spread on all weapons, including BR, Forerunner rifle, and all automatics
-Slight movement speed penalty has been added to balance the increased spread, when using SmartScope movement speed will be decreased to 75% of normal
-To compensate, ironsights have had their size slightly reduced to maximize screen real estate (Will expand upon this later)

-Thruster strength unchanged (Our desire to keep fans with a strong ability to dodge well-placed grenades is vital to our increased movement mindset)
-Thruster cooldown increased from 4s to 5s
-Groundpound animation frames increased from 25 frames to 32 (Needed a longer animation to increase "Wow!" potential
-Clamber threshold stays the same (Crouch jumping disabled to promote use of clamber to achieve "skill jumps")
-Slide animation frames decreased from 32 to 28
-Charge animation frames increased from 34 to 50
-Charge now damages a vehicle if hit from the side. If hit from the front, the charge user is still splattered, while from the rear will result in small damage to the vehicle with an added speed boost

-DMR bullet magnetism and autoaim toned down. 5 shots to kill
-BR range untouched, damage to kill increased so only 4 shots are required
-Shotgun spread decreased, damage decreased while range untouched
-Promethean Pistol now has charge - when charging, any units the reticle touches will be "tagged". At the end of the charge, hardlight will be dispersed to the chest of all targets, dropping shields and doing some health damage

-Fall damage makes a return. However, health packs will be placed liberally through all the maps. To compensate for the return of fall damage, all ledges now curve into a steady slide, depositing players safely into a 1-way, team-only base that has health packs.

Predictions:

- UI will tank somewhere in development and give us a way worse product than the beta UI upon release, "why nix something that isn't broken"

- Arena segment will be a Reach situation where small maps have most of their map count from map variations, campaign locations, and in some cases repurposed zones from larger "battlefield" maps. Despite this, a universal "largest map total on launch in the Halo franchise" selling point will be established to hell and back on marketing. Does not clarify that most of these are either enviro-variants or Forge maps, like with Reach.

- Large-scale "battlefield" maps will all be unique rather than day / night or inside / out variations.

- Arena Forge is traditional Forge and focuses more on building blocks, gadgets, etc.

- Battlefield Forge is wonky as hell on launch, but focuses more on terrain stuff at the cost of losing some traditional small-scale Forge object functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom