• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
HKqDykj.gif

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Snipeltaneous?

One bullet two kills I'm guessing.
Yuuuuup

It couldn't be any more glorious

The voice change is jarring :/

------

GP could be compensated for by making it target wherever you're looking when activated. Instead of allowing you to hover and choose your target. Then add a delay for activation while in the air and holding the button.

IHaveIce

Banned
Apparently there will be a forum or something on their site dedicated to beta feedback. There will also be a way to "talk" to some of the devs with your feedback.
Ugh I and many others will refrain from posting on waypoint.

And who of HGS is in the beta?

Akai__

*writes Assassinations toggle on feedback list*

It never worked, how it should have. Not sure why it's back, because 343i said themselfes they want a faster game. Assassination animations slow the game down, by a lot. It makes you very vulnerable, too.

-Ryn

Banned
Ugh I and many others will refrain from posting on waypoint.

And who of HGS is in the beta?
Yeah it's... kind of lame. Really want to know more about how they're handling it.

If I can get a One in time I'll be in the beta

It never worked, how it should have. Not sure why it's back, because 343i said themselfes they want a faster game. Assassination animations slow the game down, by a lot. It makes you very vulnerable, too.
But they're so kool.

Wait a second how should it have worked?

No radar in the one clip :D
Nice. Didn't see that one. Was it from a Breakout match?

RoKKeR

Man I can't stand the Spartan chatter. Please let us turn that shit off.

Otherwise I'm excited for the beta, interested to see how it all comes together.

Akai__

But they're so kool.

Wait a second how should it have worked?

I meant the reading of the button input never worked, like it should have. Assassinations are triggered, if you hold down your melee button long enough, but you could trigger an assassination by simply pressing the melee button. The time intervall was probably very short.

-Ryn

Banned
I meant the reading of the button input never worked, like it should have. Assassinations are triggered, if you hold down your melee button long enough, but you could trigger an assassination by simply pressing the melee button. The time intervall was probably very short.
Oh that. Yeah it was rarely a problem for me but it did happen a couple times.
I personal think they're fun but a toggle should definitely be added.

FyreWulff

Yeah, that's an issue with latency. Quick press for normal, long for assassination, but you have to wait a tick to determine if it was a quick or a long press, but the game errs on it being a quick press which is why they always start as a normal melee from first person.

So if you were very latent the host would assume you held the button longer than you actually did and play it out.

This is also why you got the abandoned animations on certain situations, the host went "hey let's play the animation now, wait, no wait i can't, i'mma just kill the other player now lol sorry about that"

-Ryn

Banned
Yeah, that's an issue with latency. Quick press for normal, long for assassination, but you have to wait a tick to determine if it was a quick or a long press, but the game errs on it being a quick press which is why they always start as a normal melee from first person.

So if you were very latent the host would assume you held the button longer than you actually did and play it out.

This is also why you got the abandoned animations on certain situations, the host went "hey let's play the animation now, wait, no wait i can't, i'mma just kill the other player now lol sorry about that"
I always thought that was a geometry glitch. Like how it would happen every time you assassinated someone on the lift on reflection.

Realistically do you guys think they will ever implement ODST and Reach as dlc for MCC? Not much right?
As DLC? Nope. As another future remaster?... Maybe.

klodeckel

Banned
Something they should add to Halo 5 is active reload in my opinion. If you get the timing right then the reload animation ends faster. If you fuck it up - you get a longer reload animation (jamming). It's an interactive and simple feature that can increase the skill gap. It works so well in Gears of War. I am not sure if it would work well in Halo since the reload times are very short in general, but it would be a nice try imo.

RSB

Banned
Something they should add to Halo 5 is active reload in my opinion. If you get the timing right then the reload animation ends faster. If you fuck it up - you get a longer reload animation (jamming). It's an interactive and simple feature that can increase the skill gap. It works so well in Gears of War. I am not sure if it would work well in Halo since the reload times are very short in general, but it would be a nice try imo.
Speaking of reload, replaying Halo CE has been a reminder of how great backpack reloading is. I want it back.

These Halo 5 Beta clips look like fun.
Speaking of reload, replaying Halo CE has been a reminder of how great backpack reloading is. I want it back.
Reloading your weapon when you switch it should be a default mechanic and would help speed up gameplay significantly without superfluous elements to create an illusion of speed like sprint.

And of course, in order for the weapon to be reloaded you will need to have it switched for as long as it would take you to normally reload it.

Eh, as long as there's a clear distinction between intent to backsmack and intent to assassinate and they make sure it works, I like them. If you try to assassinate someone you know what you're getting into.

AlStrong

Thinking back, how would you guys handle a boss battle in Halo?

The boss fight. I'm going to cut it.

;)

----

If they were ever going to have flood/gravemind boss fights, Dead Space might be a great inspiration from which to take.

The scarab fights are lauded for many reasons. Iterate on that. I don't know. Multi-stage failure points - energy shielding, attacking the main weapon systems in H3 only seemed to be cosmetic - they still fired, add extra legs that facilitate more aggressive tank stomping. The plasma turrets for infantry were kinda just token resistance. How about some boarding points on some of the legs to climb up in cinematic fashion for the foot soldier without any of the wide variety of UNSC vehicles. Better protected core/brain. Perhaps a couple energy cores that are slightly more exposed, but at least disable the thing from still getting back up (if you've run out of legs to destroy :p).

Bullet sponge bosses don't really change appearance or tactics. Make it look like the battle is progressing. Take the boss down in different stages. Halo did have a wide variety of weapons and different pros/cons depending on the situation. Get the player to think a little with the weapon sandbox while fighting. Perhaps provide said weaponry from killing minions? It's a tad irritating when it takes a specific weapon type to get past a section and the game literally hands it to you, and then that's the end of it already.

Didact had some potential with his being able to fly, being able to manipulate objects from a distance, energy/physical shielding, brute strength. Perhaps by the end of a protracted battle, I wouldn't have minded Chief running out of ammo and resorting to a QTE.

Regret was amusing with the teleporting and boarding action, but it's just the same pattern. Tartarus was boring to fight after a few minutes. Intense due to getting killed by a single hit from Fist of Rukt and the waves of allied sword elites, but just rather boring waiting for Johnson to get a sight on him - completely out of the player's control - and it's also just rinse & repeat.

/ramble of Sunday afternoon thoughts

klodeckel

Banned
OMFG YES!!! They really go all-in with their new skill ranking system. It's the very first thing you see after every match:

BHJdoMA.png

YRbnf8V.png

This is SO FUCKING GREAT! God I'm excited! Also that UI looks really good.

Mix

Halo 5 looks wonderful. So beautiful. I don't like the discrepancies between the Bulletin footage and this footage however, some of the things I was excited about being gone are back in, such as audible hitmarkers and the GP reticle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom