• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Was pleasantly surprised to find out I was verified today, I thought I'd have to sit the Halo 5 beta out and lurk the entire time.

Despite primarily being a PC gamer, Halo for a second time has convinced me to purchase an Xbox console. The Xbox One is a Christmas present and seeing MCC's issues has definitely made the wait for the 25th easier then it should have been. We're due the weekly patch any day now if they carry on the same patch cycle, and I wonder if they'll push for another patch closer to Christmas, seeing as I won't be the only one unwrapping MCC that day. Anyhoo, happy to be posting in the Halogaf thread.

Fifth Element fan? Nice. Welcome. Was the Xbox One and MCC purchased before the issues and waiting for Christmas, or were you promised it and now it's just waiting till Christmas?

Blarg

Neo Member
It's a half ADS since automatics are better with smart scopes. I don't like it at all, because at best, it's equal to classic zoom. What is the net positive over the classic zoom? Honestly. Instead, a trade off is a massive scope in the middle of the screen, or blind spots in middle of visor. This was one thing an overwhelmingly large portion of any Halo community was against, and they added it.

Agreed. I wish they'd at least make it an option to toggle off the visual of the scope.

I hadn't heard that automatics are better with smart scope. Didn't they say zooming wouldn't increase accuracy? Hopefully not.

Mdot

Was pleasantly surprised to find out I was verified today, I thought I'd have to sit the Halo 5 beta out and lurk the entire time.

Despite primarily being a PC gamer, Halo for a second time has convinced me to purchase an Xbox console. The Xbox One is a Christmas present and seeing MCC's issues has definitely made the wait for the 25th easier then it should have been. We're due the weekly patch any day now if they carry on the same patch cycle, and I wonder if they'll push for another patch closer to Christmas, seeing as I won't be the only one unwrapping MCC that day. Anyhoo, happy to be posting in the Halogaf thread.

Welcome.

It's definitely improving so hopefully in the next few weeks, it'll be even more stable.

Chitown B

You know how everyone now says why argue about sprint? It's staying, you're delusional if you think it's going away, why talk about it, every shooter has it. I think after Halo 5, they'll say the same for ADS. There's no going back I think from this. "Every game has ADS, you're delusional if you think they'll remove iron sights, get used to it".

ADS in this isn't like ADS in CoD. This seems to be a hybrid. It's like the old ones but with animation and without blacking out the surrounding area.

Which game? Halo CE Is the only game I ever have issues with poor checkpoints, but it's also the easiest to delay your checkpoints and get ideal ones.

H2's checkpoints don't let you resume.

Madness

ADS in this isn't like ADS in CoD. This seems to be a hybrid. It's like the old ones but with animation and without blacking out the surrounding area.

H2's checkpoints don't let you resume.

It's ADS but without slowdown in movement, and hip firing remains accurate. And I get that. It's nothing like classic zoom in Halo at all. It's almost identical to ADS in CoD/Destiny.

Let me ask you something, what benefit does it give you over the old one?

Glass

Fifth Element fan? Nice. Welcome. Was the Xbox One and MCC purchased before the issues and waiting for Christmas, or were you promised it and now it's just waiting till Christmas?

Thank you for the welcomes. I purchased the game and console for me and the other half during Black Friday here in the UK, so I guess whilst MCC was still knee deep in issues, semi confident it would be working in time. After reading the threads here and over on reddit for a month, I'm genuinely intrigued to see what my own experience will be like.

Blueblur1

Welcome to the madness that is HaloGAF. Considering that you just got verified we should expect to see more new faces popping up.

You mean this?

sogood.gif

Torvus Bog Submerged Temple from MP2 is the superior underwater track, imo.

That's just an arrangement of Brinstar Red Soil in the style of Metroid Prime 2's themes, though. Torvus Bog's main theme is the best underwater track.

Halo isn't ready for a Torvus Bog, though. 343 Guilty Spark (level) is probably the closest we're going to get, but fighting through a space bog with some Precursor artifacts / working your way to a Harvester would be fun.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Genuinely excited for the H5 beta, despite complaints.

Haven't felt like bothering with MCC, maybe this will be better.

VinFTW

Genuinely excited for the H5 beta, despite complaints.

Haven't felt like bothering with MCC, maybe this will be better.

Same, I truly think it can be a great game. I'm sure it'll have its awkward/rough patches but hopefully the Halo community can work in tandem to get them ironed out for the full game.

Haven't touched MCC since last patch, played a solid game of Swat, now I'm diving deep into my backlog and waiting for the patch that re-adds ranks/all playlists.

Can't wait for the Beta now.

Does anybody else think they're going to have a second beta for Arena or BTB in the summer?

RSB

Banned
It's ADS but without slowdown in movement, and hip firing remains accurate. And I get that. It's nothing like classic zoom in Halo at all. It's almost identical to ADS in CoD/Destiny.

Didn't you get the memo? Having half of your screen obstructed when you zoom is awesome! So modern, much inmersion, wow.

LOL, but seriously, 343 better include classic scope as an option.

Mdot

Do we have an official clan tag for HaloGaf? I saw the option pop up yesterday for me (not sure what I did to unlock it).

RoKKeR

Welcome.

Run.

Did Josh say we should be getting some Halo 5 stuff this week? I would like to know more about the "7 maps" and whether or not daytime Midship = it's own map.

klodeckel

Banned
Welcome.

Run.

Did Josh say we should be getting some Halo 5 stuff this week? I would like to know more about the "7 maps" and whether or not daytime Midship = it's own map.

The architecture and geometry on the map obviously is different, so it's definitely an own map.

Chitown B

I think it's like you said - to make it more like people are used to with other games. I'm not saying a like it, but I don't think it's that different than the old way. My issue is it'll be distracting, but then again it'll also give you more peripheral vision.

Impala26

That's just an arrangement of Brinstar Red Soil in the style of Metroid Prime 2's themes, though. Torvus Bog's main theme is the best underwater track.

Halo isn't ready for a Torvus Bog, though. 343 Guilty Spark (level) is probably the closest we're going to get, but fighting through a space bog with some Precursor artifacts / working your way to a Harvester would be fun.

Actually didn't know that. I knew the Magmoor Caverns track from MP1 was a new arrangement of a Super Metroid track, but not Submerged Temple (I can hear that being a 32-bit track though). Submerged Temple is simply one of the best ambient video game tracks to do work to though.

I love how the main Torvus bog track sounds, based in the year 2014, like some weird downtempo proto-dubstep track. The folks at Retro were REALLY ahead of the curve there weren't they?

I thought the jungle section of H4's Infinity level was the cloest Halo came to a Metroid experience. Hate Promethean Vision all you want, but I couldn't help but smile that they introduced in a very Metroid-like way (to help you see enemies in the dense, foggy jungle). Halo could use more things like different visor modes (obviously ones that aren't as over-powered as PV though).

klodeckel

Banned
Snakebite's game winning shot in the final of the Iron Games HCS (credit to /u/Cmsqvl)

S1OQHxA.gif

Akai__

What if they are making us vote on which of these Midship versions will actually be in the final game? Somebody mentioned we will get to vote each week for something and I'm starting to believe it's a map vote.

I don't think all of these map versions will be in the final game. :/

I'm not a big fan of halo 3, but I do love the map, Standoff. Been in matchmaking for over an hour now and have yet to get a CE game... Several tied votes between between CE and 2 and 3. Of course the CE map option is stuck on the far right... Having some good games today though.

Ramirez

What if they are making us vote on which of these Midship versions will actually be in the final game? Somebody mentioned we will get to vote each week for something and I'm starting to believe it's a map vote.

I find it hard to believe they would waste money on maps that will be thrown away.

klodeckel

Banned
In the middle, sure, but it's still Midship at heart. Although it's cool that there will be variants, it's an obnoxious way of padding your map count.

Well, I think people will always find something to complain about.

The map has a completely different art direction. It looks like that Midship dropped down on a planet or something. If we will have 7 maps (even with similarities) 10 months before release already I expect the map count to be totally fine.

Mdot

I hate to be negative, but it just seems like they're trying to give us stuff that we feel comfortable with (Midship is a favorite map, 4v4 arena based, etc) while still injecting the new stuff that we've been vocally complaining and arguing against. Kind of like, "well you might not like this.....but here's Midship" kind of thing.

IHaveIce

Banned

Maybe with the Night/Daytime map, but noway this would be the case with the Midship version, there are other textures and stuff.

I doubt they would waste time and resources on maps variants/ finalize them and then scrap them.

I also would have no problem with 2 similiar maps like we saw, benefits competive play

Impala26

I'm saying they did change the final version(s) of maps. Sword Base was very different visually in the beta.

It was...? o_O

I played the Beta and the final build. I don't remember notable visual differences, but I'd love to see if someone could dig up comparison shots. The main thing I remember about the Reach Beta was that Armor Lock was HILARIOUSLY OP--like tactical-nuke level OP.

It was...? o_O

I played the Beta and the final build. I don't remember notable visual differences, but I'd love to see if someone could dig up comparison shots. The main thing I remember about the Reach Beta was that Armor Lock was HILARIOUSLY OP--like tactical-nuke level OP.

The final version was battle hardened with blast holes in the walls and whatnot. The one in the beta was clean and pristine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom