• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

klodeckel

Banned
And confirmation the Prophets Bane is kind of a "special" weapon.

1xcfAVe.png

belushy

Banned
Maybe with the Night/Daytime map, but noway this would be the case with the Midship version, there are other textures and stuff.

I doubt they would waste time and resources on maps variants/ finalize them and then scrap them.

I also would have no problem with 2 similiar maps like we saw, benefits competive play

Yeah I'm fine with map variants. So far I really like the art style of all the maps we've seen. They just better give us good forge environments so we can make our own Midship and Pit remakes.

Computer

MSFT has been saying this for years, they want Halo to become the next Star Wars.

I highly doubt it will have that kind of impact though. There needs to be actual movies on the big screen with good actors, and great story, characters, etc.

Star Wars still rules in that regard.

Ya they are off to a bad start with Halo Nightfall.

dwells

Nightfall is so bad, lol

The games, the comics, the live-action show...nothing is good about this franchise right now. Shit is sad, brehs.

Is it that bad? I was able to enjoy Forward Unto Dawn despite the low budgets of it all and I was considering watching Nightfall. But I don't think I've heard anyone actually describe it as "good" yet...

Karl2177

So we won't have to launch MCC to get to the Beta every time right? I think I saw a screenshot of H5B icon on the dashboard.

If it's anything like the Reach beta, that is for people who get a code for the beta. People who didn't have the code were forced to go through ODST. I'm hoping it's not the case, because I hate having to go through a launcher to get to another launcher.

If it's anything like the Reach beta, that is for people who get a code for the beta. People who didn't have the code were forced to go through ODST. I'm hoping it's not the case, because I hate having to go through a launcher to get to another launcher.
I'd imagine you could pin it to the home screen after you launch it once. That would be nice.

Although MCC does launch fast enough for it not to be too big a deal if you can't pin it

Medal Idea: Cancer Treatment - Kill 15 players with the Prophet's Bane without dying.

I hope Rockets is a gametype in Halo 5 Guardians Beta so we can get some "yo dawg i heard you like launchers" memes going.

Someone clue me in on this whole "snipultaneous" thing?

New (I think) medal for killing 2 guys with 1 sniper shot. The delivery is what sells it, Steitzer just... moans it. It's amazing. And awful. And amazing.

Is it that bad? I was able to enjoy Forward Unto Dawn despite the low budgets of it all and I was considering watching Nightfall. But I don't think I've heard anyone actually describe it as "good" yet...

Worse than FUD, to be sure. It tries to do more, but the budget and acting doesn't really support it.

We already knew that the Prophet's Bane was special. When you wield it and use smart scope you lung farther.

Also, I think you get a move speed buff.

dwells

We already knew that the Prophet's Bane was special. When you wield it and use smart scope you lung farther.

Wait, is this serious? If you aim down sights with the sword you lunge further? What happened to all that "strictly cosmetic ADS" talk?

Wait, is this serious? If you aim down sights with the sword you lunge further? What happened to all that "strictly cosmetic ADS" talk?

ADS isn't cosmetic, I'm pretty sure they've already said it tightens the spread of automatic weapons. But don't worry, it still feels like Halo. Trust 343, play the game before judging it!

I mean that worked out really well with Halo 4.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Ya they are off to a bad start with Halo Nightfall.

I remember after Gears of War was going through its pre-release parties at the movie theaters with Texas Chainsaw Masacre, some MSFT guy said in an interview that Gears is a planned trilogy. Then you had Epic Games guys saying...what?? We're waiting to see if the first one even does good.

MSFT plans these things WELL in advance. All the publishers do. Just like record labels for music artists.

There was an interview though a long time ago, around the time of Halo 2 or Halo 3, where a MSFT guy said they want Halo to become the next Star Wars.

You it a bit with Halo legos, toys, some clothing, the Nightfall thing, but that's about it. There aren't any iconic characters really in Halo. Star Wars has a clearly defined Rebels vs Empire war going on. Within that lore, they have MAJOR iconic characters, hereos and villains.

Woorloog

Banned
I do like immersion in games but a game should never be made with "immersion-first" principle, i think. Immersion arises from good aesthetics, graphics, small things combined with good gameplay.
Halo CE is rather immersive, despite lacking ADS because its world makes this feeling. And Halo 3 is a good example where immersion is made better with a small thing: the HUD being curved and having some extra bits around to simulate the visor.
Heck, Halo 4 is even better in this... all without ADS, and the problems that fucking thing brings.

Un-fucking-believable. Seriously. Trust us, feels like Halo... FUCK!

My soul hurts.

yes mine does too.

When you get down to the brass tacks of gun play, when you're playing Slayer on Truth, Halo 5's version of Midship, and Spartans are firing at you from everywhere, you don't care about lore. You want to know whether to fire the Assault Rifle from the hip or use Smart Scope. 343 tells me Smart Scope does not affect damage output. That is, the damage of each bullet is the same. But it affects the spread of the bullets. So, if you're at a medium distance and you want to concentrate your fire, scoping with the Assault Rifle makes sense. But if you're up close, fire from the hip for a wider spread.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-11-11-smart-scoping-with-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer-beta

I hate to be negative, but it just seems like they're trying to give us stuff that we feel comfortable with (Midship is a favorite map, 4v4 arena based, etc) while still injecting the new stuff that we've been vocally complaining and arguing against.

That may be their strategy, but it's also possible that they're sticking to their stated goal of taking Halo from where it was/is into the future by adding new features to a now decade+ old franchise.

The final version was battle hardened with blast holes in the walls and whatnot. The one in the beta was clean and pristine.

Yup, and the differences were implemented specifically to help with player orientation. For people that were keying off of lift positions it wasn't a big deal but for everyone else it was a helpful update.

Fyre will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the changes were purely cosmetic on Sword Base, but somewhere in my brain I remember some slight geometry changes made to maybe Boneyard? Something about lowering railing heights so that they would no longer block shots fired by the people standing next to them.

If we can somehow hit the "coherency" benchmark that they're looking for in our feedback, I'm sure 343 will make similar changes as needed. We might be able to win Operation Unplug Smart Scope too. That's as much as we can hope for.

willow ve

Don't think I had seen it in print yet. It's official now ADS modifies weapon performance. There is nothing about this that makes me want to play the game.

Honestly, as for all I've seen so far, there is nothing about Halo 5 that makes me preorder. Which is a shame. This will be the first Halo game since Halo 2 that I don't spend a large chunk of launch day playing (both campaign and multi). I appreciate that they're "giving" us a beta so far from the game being finished, but I can't imagine anything we've already complained about gets taken out. Sprint, ADS, Spartan Chatter, Spartan/Armor Abilities, Default Controls; seems like nearly everything about these changes simply moves Halo away from what Halo has traditionally been.

Kudos to 343 for trying new things and, quite honestly, not appearing to give a shit what long time fans of the series want. I really hope that it works out for them and that Halo continues to be a wildly profitable franchise (still waiting for that Neill Blomkamp movie). However, and this must be said, it appears Halo is catering more and more to a crowd and type of gamer that I simply am no longer a part of.

At least we'll always have HaloGAF and MCC to fall back on.
Whenever MCC actually works.
Oh and whenever they update the matchmaking maps and gametypes so we're not trapped playing vanilla day one broken games.
Or fix forge options.
Or allow parties to stay together after matches.
Exactly as you remember.™

So hyped for it! The only thing that bothers me is the feel "going back" after that three weeks.
Might be difficult going back to Halo 2 and 3 after the H5 Beta because of how slow they are comparatively, whereas CE and H4 might not have that issue because CE is CE and H4 more resembles H5.

If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if they released an H4 playlist around that time and we saw a decent population for it. Been itching to jump between that and CE honestly.. Halo 2 BTB isn't as fun as it used to be when it was the only Halo game to play in a time period of a new online experience. Truth be told, I might have had more fun in H3 matches overall than I have in H2 with this collection lol

RBK

Banned
Personally don't agree with further lunge with smart scope, but doesn't sound like it fundamentally changes the game as a whole.

Same with tighter spread with smart scope, it is kind of needed for it to be effective.

Last night I played one game of Team Slayer.

Even teams, all H2A voting options. Kinda lame but whatever an even match is an even match.

Brs on lockout. Cool.

I go 15-5. Second place on my team goes 8-31.

What in the fuck. Give us a ranking system so I don't have to play with the shittiest of the shit that is a modern Halo player.

Fucking hell

Impala26

Not in default settings, LT is.

Not sure if discussed but, how would this work exactly with de-scoping when hit? Halo always differed from most other FPS games in that it had a click/toggle zoom/scope and de-scoping worked fine when paired with this.

If you're using the Left Trigger to scope (in default), does this mean it's still a toggle or do you have to hold it down? If the latter, how the hell would that work with de-scoping?

Wut. That's terrible. Where are the grenades mapped?

If we're using CoD metrics, then it should be RB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom