• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

heckfu

Banned
Scotch takes time to get into. Get yourself a mid-range scotch and try adding a splash of filtered water to it. Might sound like blasphemy, but it will cool it down a bit and actually opens up some scotches a bit.

As for vodka, have you had good vodka? I'm lucky in that the area I live in also happens to be home to one of the best-rated craft vodkas out there, but there's other good options as well. Better vodkas not only are smooth enough to take a shot without hating yourself, you can actually let it linger for a bit and detect some flavors. I'd recommend the Moscow Mule as a great vodka mixed drink to try sometime. It's simple and tasty.

Oh I'm about to look like a huge hypocrite but I love Moscow mules. I seem to just pretend it has anything other than vodka in them.

Thanks for the advice on the scotch! I'm off all week so I may as well give it a shot.

Refill :)

r019W5bl.jpg

Son you need to learn how to pour a beer and put a head on it :)

klodeckel
Banned
(Today, 02:46 PM)

one less megaslrper guys

some of ya'll gonna have to step it up
Do you think it was really him? Very uncharacteristic of him. So different from his normal posting that i wonder if a friend somehow got his account info and pranked him. But who knows. Maybe he finally snapped. I know i have before lol.

Madness

When Bonnie Ross took over Microsoft Corp's biggest video-game franchise, she inherited a Halo 4 script riddled with one-dimensional female characters who existed mainly as villains to be slain by the male protagonist.

She ripped that version up and worked with a cadre of writers and designers to create a world with stronger women. It’s a delicate balancing act faced by many publishers seeking to boost sales: making tweaks to reach a bigger audience that includes women without alienating the mostly male hardcore base.

That new Bonnie interview with Bloomberg is pretty interesting. I wonder what they meant about how the early script had women villains slain by the male protagonist? Also, it seems they've tried to roll whatever GamerGate is into the article and Halo itself. Pretending that diversity didn't exist in the series, or how they've taken it further, now adding another bald space marine in Locke, but this time he's black. I mean, did these folks not play Halo CE, 2 and Halo 3? Some of the crowd favorite characters are Halsey, Sargeant Johnson, Miranda Keyes, not to mention other characters like Captain Dare or Kat in Reach. If anything, 343 has done a disservice to diversity with how they handled Halsey and Palmer. Palmer was honestly poorly written, and they turned Halsey into someone who is supoosedly worse than Hitler. Now she's a one armed villain bent on Revenge.

It's hilarious how they expect the series to last 30 years, when I'd say the series is in even a more dire position than before MCC was announced. Plus, Halo 5 has the potential to turn off a lot of fans even more.

Hmmmm.. two games of CE with "near host" bullet registration.

Yo, CE is the only game with terrible spawns yo.
I never had tons of terrible spawns in later Halo games.
Later games were such an improvement with spawns.

This was only one game, but it happens all the time. I should start saving more of these. At least I can defend myself with the Pistol sometimes if I spawn in a terrible spot ;]

Also, can confirm improvements to CE. Some CLIPS:
I downloaded the patch but havent had a chance to try it. Looking forward to it later tonight. If youre online ill send you an invite.

And its cold.

Gross

You're a bad person.

Im basically fueled by bourbon and I just can't get into scotch, regardless of how hard I may or may not try.

But vodka...vodka is gross*

*this opinion is my own and in no way reflects that of the HaloGaf community. Please don't post this on a forum and overreact.
I had to move to vodka. Now I drink at least a bottle and not a hangover In sight.

Vodka 4 lyfe

You're good people.

If Halo salt is enough for you to breakdown. Well jesus I don't know what to tell you.

That new Bonnie interview with Bloomberg is pretty interesting. I wonder what they meant about how the early script had women villains slain by the male protagonist? Also, it seems they've tried to roll whatever GamerGate is into the article and Halo itself. Pretending that diversity didn't exist in the series, or how they've taken it further, now adding another bald space marine in Locke, but this time he's black. I mean, did these folks not play Halo CE, 2 and Halo 3? Some of the crowd favorite characters are Halsey, Sargeant Johnson, Miranda Keyes, not to mention other characters like Captain Dare or Kat in Reach. If anything, 343 has done a disservice to diversity with how they handled Halsey and Palmer. Palmer was honestly poorly written, and they turned Halsey into someone who is supoosedly worse than Hitler. Now she's a one armed villain bent on Revenge.

It's hilarious how they expect the series to last 30 years, when I'd say the series is in even a more dire position than before MCC was announced. Plus, Halo 5 has the potential to turn off a lot of fans even more.

343's Halsey is honestly a much better portrayal of the character than Nylund's, though obviously both beat the hell out of Traviss'.

Fuchsdh

I wouldn't read too much into that interview, or buy anything Bonnie isn't talking about. It seems directly like a piece the reporter wanted to write, and crafted a story around (whether or not the facts aligned.)

And I agree with Poodle--I've appreciated Halsey's portrayal as both more nuanced and sympathetic, even if I also understand why particularly Traviss' portrayal irked them.

As for dire positions, you must not have been a fan of any other franchise. People are always screaming doom. Yet things persist...

Madness

I wouldn't read too much into that interview, or buy anything Bonnie isn't talking about. It seems directly like a piece the reporter wanted to write, and crafted a story around (whether or not the facts aligned.)

And I agree with Poodle--I've appreciated Halsey's portrayal as both more nuanced and sympathetic, even if I also understand why particularly Traviss' portrayal irked them.

As for dire positions, you must not have been a fan of any other franchise. People are always screaming doom. Yet things persist...

Yeah, I'm feeling that way too, wanted to push a certain story, and tried to fit Bonnie and her interview around it. I don't know, I can appreciate the nuance they want to add to Halsey, but I don't know, the war criminal aspect and then her vowing vengeance against the UNSC and ONI was almost comical.

I don't know, after Halo: Reach, Halo 4 and now the MCC launch, plus how radically they're trying to change Halo 5, there are no guarantees. MCC is working much better but it seems people don't even want to start it again. I tried convincing a few fans, some of who even took days off for MCC to try and play, and they just don't want to.

Blueblur1

I agree regarding racial slurs and embarrassing posts, especially as of late, which is why I haven't been around often if at all anymore. I feel like people have stopped posting constructively and started just posting whatever mean or random thing comes out of their mind. I can't blame them anymore though, it's not like any of us or our concerns are getting acknowledged anymore by Stinkles or anybody from 343. I'm sure they know we're unhappy and we know they know we're unhappy. Not much more we can do at this point.

And I would do what someone running a Twitter account representing a community would normally do:

Post meaningful posts from HaloGAF (tag important people)
Never retweet or tweet things based off personal opinion/preferences/biases - especially hyperbole and insanely twisted logic/insults
Try to attract people into the current discussion going on

Really not much to it.

Really my point was regarding what "not to do".

This pretty much, Cyren is far more knowledgeable/professional than I am, so thank you for this post.

I definitely have to admit that I let my own opinion bleed into HaloGAF tweets. Then I pulled it back and used it for retweeting GAF threads and developer tweets. I couldn't highlight many tweets because I don't have the time to follow the threads as much as I used to. But I did try to highlight other GAFers on Twitter to give the followers of the account an idea of where the community was leaning toward one subject or another. And I did catch a solid, constructive post here and there. But you can't please everyone; one person's opinion may be "trash" to the next guy which results in that guy scoffing at how the account is being run. So the only "important" people you can highlight without getting a negative reaction from anyone is Stinkles or David.

Keep HaloGAF twitter to game updates, good member posts, Halo related threads on GAF, etc. RT 343i staff, Halo communities, Halo tournaments if needed.

Personal thoughts and open mic jokes on personal twitter accounts.

Thanks for the response. I think I more or less responded above.

VinFTW

I definitely have to admit that I let my own opinion bleed into HaloGAF tweets. Then I pulled it back and used it for retweeting GAF threads and developer tweets. I couldn't highlight many tweets because I don't have the time to follow the threads as much as I used to. But I did try to highlight other GAFers on Twitter to give the followers of the account an idea of where the community was leaning toward one subject or another. And I did catch a solid, constructive post here and there. But you can't please everyone; one person's opinion may be "trash" to the next guy which results in that guy scoffing at how the account is being run. So the only "important" people you can highlight without getting a negative reaction from anyone is Stinkles or David.

Thanks for the response. I think I more or less responded above.

It's all good man, the state of Halo currently, minus the HCS, is pretty depressing anyways.

Some deserved, some not. One can't REALLY blame you for a bad retweet here and there because I know and understand the frustration that comes with seeing your most loved and cherished (at least for me) franchise being killed in front of your eyes.

I, in no way, think we are witnessing the death of Halo but I do think we are in for a rough return this next year.

Really hope Halo 5 brings it back. I just wish people would give it a chance. I know and agree sprint doesn't work in Halo's past. We have never tested a sprint with negative consequences in Halo yet though, so who knows. Maybe it'll be a great competitive shooter and a decent Halo game.

Ramirez

I can't really see why anyone would want to tune in and support a tournament for a game that barely works a month after release. Shouldn't promote a product that isn't close to 100%, IMO.

Madness

So 6 players in Team slayer, you'd think 3v3 but for some reason, it becomes 4v2 Lockout BR's, and the other guy quits so it becomes 4v1 on Lockout. This is post patch. How is this happening. How do 6 random players get paired 4v2 and not 3v3?

Fuchsdh

I always thought Halsey was just manipulating Jul 'Mdama

That was my read on the situation as well.

That's my thought as well.

Halsey in Spartan Ops was one of the best parts of the entire story. She gets pretty much the biggest focus outside maybe Thorne and Lasky--she's a criminal who's treated like dirt but is also begrudgingly acknowledged to be necessary; she provides a good contrast with the new Spartans; she's (IMO) unfairly punished for her mistake talking to Jul; and she ends up on the wrong side of a summary execution order because Osman is just pissed off.

343 has been deliberately pushing the shadier side of the UNSC and ONI to the forefront; it's not inept storytelling on their part. Where and when this stuff is going to come to a head is up in the air.

Yesterday I had a game of BTB where it was 6v6, we voted on a map and before the game started a 13th player was randomly thrown in and it became 7v6. Can't believe stuff like that can happen, especially after voting on the map.

-Ryn

Banned
Rum seems to be my one of my favorite alcoholic beverages so far.
I tried straight Vodka and that put some hair on my chest. I'd imagine mixing it with something is recommended. Haven't tried Scotch.

I know this is completely off topic and i'm sorry, but i'm from Sydney, and it would really mean a lot if you guys kept my city in your thoughts/prayers tonight.
What's going on in Sydney?

VinFTW

I can't really see why anyone would want to tune in and support a tournament for a game that barely works a month after release. Shouldn't promote a product that isn't close to 100%, IMO.

I'm not supporting the tournament or the game, really. Sure, indirectly.

What I DO support are the pros and the community surrounding the pro-scene.

Irongaming, despite being one of the worst run events I've ever seen, was a blast to watch. Some intense matches, amazing plays, good amount of trash talk, I don't see what's wrong with supporting the pro players.

But I guess I'm gonna be given shit for watching tournaments now too huh.

Sigh.

belushy

Banned

Irongaming, despite being one of the worst run events I've ever seen, was a blast to watch. Some intense matches, amazing plays, good amount of trash talk, I don't see what's wrong with supporting the pro players.

Sigh.

Yeah, I don't give a fuck about H2A at this point but I'm definitely gonna support the pros.

Madness

Rum seems to be my one of my favorite alcoholic beverages so far.
I tried straight Vodka and that put some hair on my chest. I'd imagine mixing it with something is recommended. Haven't tried Scotch.

What's going on in Sydney?

The cheaper the Vodka, the harder it is for me to drink straight. Something like Grey Goose, Belvedere, Ciroc is easier for me to have with just ice compared to a smirnoff or something.

Hard liquor is bane for me as well. Mostly just social engagements, but during my party times, was mostly always mixed stuff. Crown and coke, Rum and come, Jack and coke, vodka/seven up, Vodka/energy drink etc. Hard to develop the taste for straight with little to no dilution with water or ice.

Sydney had a terror/gunman hostage situation that ended tragically with 2 dead and 4 wounded before police took down the gunman.

Welfare

So 6 players in Team slayer, you'd think 3v3 but for some reason, it becomes 4v2 Lockout BR's, and the other guy quits so it becomes 4v1 on Lockout. This is post patch. How is this happening. How do 6 random players get paired 4v2 and not 3v3?

3v4 industries

I haven't gotten those since 2 patches ago, so I'm lucky.

clav

Been like that since day 1.

Ramirez

Sigh.

Do you, I'm just saying that I personally can't get behind it. I'm not even sure what 343's involvement was in the tourney, but I don't think they should be pushing the HCS until the game works properly. Just my opinion.

Madness

That's my thought as well.

Halsey in Spartan Ops was one of the best parts of the entire story. She gets pretty much the biggest focus outside maybe Thorne and Lasky--she's a criminal who's treated like dirt but is also begrudgingly acknowledged to be necessary; she provides a good contrast with the new Spartans; she's (IMO) unfairly punished for her mistake talking to Jul; and she ends up on the wrong side of a summary execution order because Osman is just pissed off.

343 has been deliberately pushing the shadier side of the UNSC and ONI to the forefront; it's not inept storytelling on their part. Where and when this stuff is going to come to a head is up in the air.

It's funny because after Halo 3, so much speculation was about the future if the series, and people used to joke that now the Covenant are finished, the next game will have humans fighting humans again, Spartans will be used once again to quell rebellions or stop separatists, and instead, we're probably going to see some kind of human civil war type story with UNSC vs ONI vs colonies probably. You could see the mistrust between the Sedrans and ONI and how ONI views themselves in Nightfall.

VinFTW

Do you, I'm just saying that I personally can't get behind it. I'm not even sure what 343's involvement was in the tourney, but I don't think they should be pushing the HCS until the game works properly. Just my opinion.

Yeah, it's a shitty situation for sure. Not gonna make excuses for 343, at all, ever, but I really want HCS to take off and I think it's a high point in an otherwise low, loooow situation.

As far as I can tell the companies are completely private/separate and are running a tournament while being well aware of the current issues.

I think it's pretty important to keep it going to lead into Halo 5 where it will be huge (at the start) and if the game is good, will continue to grow.

Booshka

I didn't buy an Xbone or MCC so I have no qualms about watching the shit out of some competitive Halo.

I'm not gonna boycott entertainment for a product I don't own, nor plan on owning in the near future.

VinFTW

I didn't buy an Xbone or MCC so I have no qualms about watching the shit out of some competitive Halo.

I'm not gonna boycott entertainment for a product I don't own, nor plan on owning in the near future.

I see you in the chat all the time! Was a rough tourney, but worked out well in the end. I really think 343 should suck it up and host all the lan tourneys. MCC invitational was infinitely better than IGC. We need that production value and the prize pools need to be MUCH higher. They need to take after Sony with their 480K bump of the prize pool (not saying every tourney needs to offer 500k), but it needs to be bigger.

-Ryn

Banned
The cheaper the Vodka, the harder it is for me to drink straight. Something like Grey Goose, Belvedere, Ciroc is easier for me to have with just ice compared to a smirnoff or something.

Hard liquor is bane for me as well. Mostly just social engagements, but during my party times, was mostly always mixed stuff. Crown and coke, Rum and come, Jack and coke, vodka/seven up, Vodka/energy drink etc. Hard to develop the taste for straight with little to no dilution with water or ice.

Sydney had a terror/gunman hostage situation that ended tragically with 2 dead and 4 wounded before police took down the gunman.
Yeah the only time I can see myself drinking straight vodka or hard liquor is when I'm trying to get drunk. If I'm just looking for a nice buzz I'll mix it.

What do you think of brandy? I had some Cognac and Coke with my flatmate and it tasted kinda gross to me.

--

That's a shame what happened in Sydney.
I hope they come out of it alright.

Halo

JDHarbs

Seems like every time a H4 map pops up in the vote it always gets picked.

fuck democracy
Same thing seems to be happening for me whenever a CE map pops up. Each game really needs at least one dedicated playlist or else the few playlists that have said game are always going to get picked.

Fuchsdh

It's funny because after Halo 3, so much speculation was about the future if the series, and people used to joke that now the Covenant are finished, the next game will have humans fighting humans again, Spartans will be used once again to quell rebellions or stop separatists, and instead, we're probably going to see some kind of human civil war type story with UNSC vs ONI vs colonies probably. You could see the mistrust between the Sedrans and ONI and how ONI views themselves in Nightfall.

Indeed. Which is interesting, because as a story guy I've always thought we should get more of that... but at the same time part of what separates Halo from a lot of games out there is its humans vs. aliens setup. Fighting humans might make it feel "samey" to the uninitiated, and for some there's a psychological thing about shooting human beings--and humans compared to Covenant and Prometheans are fairly limited, gameplay wise, unless we were going up against Spartans. We've only ever had a single enemy human in a Halo game (two, if you count the crazed Marine). It was certainly verboten during Bungie's time; we'll see how it plays out.

A possible out is that from Escalation we've seen
ONI essentially using Covenant as proxy fighters; maybe that would solve the story issue of the player going up against humans, without necessarily fighting lots of humans.

Madness

Halo 3 has probably been the most intense matches for me so far. Even teams, no lag, things like BR's on Standoff, Team BR's orbital etc. Halo 2 classic has probably been the worst for me in this collection. Maybe I just need more time to get into it. Halo 4 is whatever. It's in so few playlists, I think I've had maybe two matches so far.

It's just lame that there is literally a H3 and Classic H2 specific playlist, 3 H2A playlists, and the only way I can get a CE match is if the map gets outright majority vote. It's nothing but a pisser to CE fans.

VinFTW

It's just lame that there is literally a H3 and Classic H2 specific playlist, 3 H2A playlists, and the only way I can get a CE match is if the map gets outright majority vote. It's nothing but a pisser to CE fans.

To be fair they took it out because it played unacceptably. Now that it plays pretty great they're going to add the playlist very soon (as confirmed by Ghostayame on Twitter). I'd expect it in the next week.

I would like Halo 4 in the team slayer playlist if they had gametypes without armor abilities, set power weapon drops and no load outs. Haven, Adrift, Skyline, Pitfall, Vertigo and Monolith are all fairly decent maps that I'd like to see in there.

-Ryn

Banned
Do you guys think we'll ever fight humans in the games? So far it's always been fighting the Covenant in some form. Even in H2 as the Arbiter you were always fighting Covenant or Heretics.

Scust at calling brandy gross
lol Got any recommendations? I've heard Cognac is only sort of considered a Brandy.

I would like Halo 4 in the team slayer playlist if they had gametypes without armor abilities, set power weapon drops and no load outs. Haven, Adrift, Skyline, Pitfall, Vertigo and Monolith are all fairly decent maps that I'd like to see in there.

Agreed, it'd be nice to break up the monotony of it essentially being a second Halo 3 playlist.

EDIT: CE feels incredible, I can confirm. Why are we playing anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom