• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

That's really cool. I like the idea that maps have variants and have slightly different layouts. The Truth and Regret names make sense going along with the prophets obviously, you also have the Prophet's Bane on Truth. No doubt these will be counted as separate maps, which helps explain how they have 7 maps ready for the beta.

Oh good you found a post from Bungie's net/web (who never, ever worked on any game design, ever) guy in 2006 and now that's everyone's design philosophy.

The philosophy isn't all that relevant, what matters is the end product and what it does to gameplay. You can have many different philosophies on why SMG/AR starts are good. Though when you boil it down, SMG starts leave the spawning player vulnerable with little chance to fight back against opponents who have precision weapons.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Oh good you found a post from Bungie's net/web (who never, ever worked on any game design, ever) guy in 2006 and now that's everyone's design philosophy.

Not sure how else to think about him during that time. He seem to know (or thought he knew) a lot about the design logic behind Halo 2, HCE and the upcoming Halo 3.

What gave him the authority to speak for Bungie when he did? It's not like he was saying "I preface this by saying, I speak only for myself and not for Bungie or its staff/designers, etc., now for my opinion, the HCE pistol sucks, and SMG starts make the game more interesting and BR starts are boring."

AR/Magnum starts look fine so far for Halo 5. The Magnum has 12 shots, a scope and is a 5sk, not to mention the AR looks powerful too. It's already the best loadout we've had since CE. Combine that with the advanced movement options and I think we're in for a nice little surprise, but only time will tell.
Great thing is too is that we're finding out that quick camo utility was a planned aspect of CE and not an accident.
Yupp, this is why I stopped referring to it as the Camo "glitch" as it was designed that way.

Chitown B

Yeah, that's a crock of shit.

I'm so glad I'm not a pro Halo player doing the play testing or doing these demo matches, I'd cringe at the AR starts. I just simply will not play it. I will always quit out if it's not a BR start game.

I understand wanting BR's. But then again there's something to be said for fighting for power weapons. If everyone has BR's, then it's mostly just BR shooting in lanes.

-Ryn

Banned
Mercy will be a flood infested Covenant ship.

Do you guys think it's possible these are... Forge variants?

Stinkles bringin' down the hammer

AR/Magnum starts look fine so far for Halo 5. The Magnum has 12 shots, a scope and is a 5sk, not to mention the AR looks powerful too. It's already the best loadout we've had since CE. Combine that with the advanced movement options and I think we're in for a nice little surprise, but only time will tell.
This is what I'm thinking. Game looks solid and each weapon looks like it's useful within its role. Which is how it should be.

Booshka

I understand wanting BR's. But then again there's something to be said for fighting for power weapons. If everyone has BR's, then it's mostly just BR shooting in lanes.

Players are not fighting for Power weapons with AR or SMG starts, they are fighting to get a BR or Carbine, so that they can then fight for Power Weapons or Power Ups. With a BR off-spawn, you can actually fight for Power Weapons, map control, Power Ups, and the Objective. Also, you can help your teammates far better than you could with a short range weapon.

It's just better Halo all around.

Ive been playing through H2A campaign. The first half of the game wasnt bad. The second half? Ugh.. a bunch of dark drab levels. i could never see the intended paths that i was supposed to take clearly. Kept causing me to miss par times. Thats more fault on the original level design and less to do with the H2A revamped look. And even on easy the brutes were taking several shots and melees to take down. Just reinforcing why halo 2's campaign is still at the bottom of my campaign rankings and only just ahead of Reach.

Wait, how could you possibly rank 2's campaign over Reach's?

Mercy will be a flood infested Covenant ship.

1.) Do you guys think it's possible these are... Forge variants?

2.) This is what I'm thinking. Game looks solid and each weapon looks like it's useful within its role. Which is how it should be.

1.) No way. It looks way too crafted and artistically designed.

2.) To me, Halo 5 is shaping up to be the best MP in the series since Halo 2. Yes, I actually think it looks better than Halo 3.

I have come to terms with sprint. The ADS in all reality doesn't bother me much (still hoping for a harmless toggle off option) and the spartan abilities look like genuine fun to use and become skillful with.

It ain't classic Halo, but it seems like the best blend of new with classic elements I have seen in a long time. The AR and Magnum seem appropriately powerful and seem to be a good fit for starting weapons.

EDIT: BTW, thank you Ryn and anyone else who suggested some anime series. I made a big juicy order of quality anime on Amazon and I'm pumped! I'm almost done watching Serial Experiments Lain and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.

Chitown B

Players are not fighting for Power weapons with AR or SMG starts, they are fighting to get a BR or Carbine, so that they can then fight for Power Weapons or Power Ups. With a BR off-spawn, you can actually fight for Power Weapons, map control, Power Ups, and the Objective. Also, you can help your teammates far better than you could with a short range weapon.

It's just better Halo all around.

I got used to running for BR's on Halo 3 most games. I guess it just wasn't a big deal. If you couldn't get a BR, you grabbed another power weapon instead.

Would I be wrong in thinking that while from a technical (as in programming, designing) perspective a double jump is a poor man's Clamber, while from a gameplay perspective Clamber is just a poor man's double jump?

Micro and Macro

Halo's movement speed, relative to map size, should be slow enough so that individual encounters can be segregated into different portions of the map. At the same time, freedom of movement within those portions should be dynamic enough to provide players with meaningful choices during their semi-islolated engagements.

Strafing needs to be the player's most effective defensive ability. Quick movement acceleration and deceleration, fluid interplay between crouch and jump, as well as a stamina based Thruster, would raise the defensive ability skill ceiling.

Halo and Combos

Not BXR or double shot, but action combos.

Think of everything in terms of a player using it while strafing.

Crouch
Jump
Short hop
Crouch jump
Gandhi hop
Spring jump
Slide jump
Slide

These actions can be performed while a player is moving in any direction. These actions don't prevent a player from fighting back. A player who can combine his ability to attack, his ability to evade, and his ability to interact with map geometry, all at the same time, is truly skilled.

Chitown B

I wonder if when Halo 5 comes out, if you bought the digital version of MCC and 5 - maybe they could link together somehow. Like 5 is a pack attached to MCC. So you could just have all matchmaking from 1-5 together in one menu. Sort of how Reach did it.

Micro and Macro

Halo's movement speed, relative to map size, should be slow enough so that individual encounters can be segregated into different portions of the map. At the same time, freedom of movement within those portions should be dynamic enough to provide players with meaningful choices during their semi-islolated engagements.

Strafing needs to be the player's most effective defensive ability. Quick movement acceleration and deceleration, fluid interplay between crouch and jump, as well as a stamina based Thruster, would raise the defensive ability skill ceiling.

Halo and Combos

Not BXR or double shot, but action combos.

Think of everything in terms of a player using it while strafing.

Crouch
Jump
Short hop
Crouch jump
Gandhi hop
Spring jump
Slide jump
Slide

These actions can be performed while a player is moving in any direction. These actions don't prevent a player from fighting back. A player who can combine his ability to attack, his ability to evade, and his ability to interact with map geometry, all at the same time, is truly skilled.
I thought you were done with the franchise?

Impala26

1.) No way. It looks way too crafted and artistically designed.

2.) To me, Halo 5 is shaping up to be the best MP in the series since Halo 2. Yes, I actually think it looks better than Halo 3.

I have come to terms with sprint. The ADS in all reality doesn't bother me much (still hoping for a harmless toggle off option) and the spartan abilities look like genuine fun to use and become skillful with.

It ain't classic Halo, but it seems like the best blend of new with classic elements I have seen in a long time. The AR and Magnum seem appropriately powerful and seem to be a good fit for starting weapons.

EDIT: BTW, thank you Ryn and anyone else who suggested some anime series. I made a big juicy order of quality anime on Amazon and I'm pumped! I'm almost done watching Serial Experiments Lain and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.

You're genuinely sounding optimistic again Fahz...

I'm concerned for you though... you sure you don't need me to help you with an injection of sodium chloride? :p

Wait, how could you possibly rank 2's campaign over Reach's?
Reach is my least favorite halo campaign of all time. The gunplay in it is the least halo-like. I wanna play halo. I can deal with bad levels and shallow story plots if i still get to go in and wreck stuff up halo style. Reach has neither good gunplay nor good levels. Just a cesspool of yuck imo.

You're genuinely sounding optimistic again Fahz...

I'm concerned for you though... you sure you don't need me to help you with an injection of sodium chloride? :p

Haha. Thanks for noticing. ;)

I have been MCC free for about a week. I feel like I can see the whole world in a new light.

To me, Halo 5 is shaping up to be the best MP in the series since Halo 2. Yes, I actually think it looks better than Halo 3.

kttcolisas1

I made a big juicy order of quality anime on Amazon and I'm pumped!
kttcolisas2

TheOddOne

Reach is my least favorite halo campaign of all time. The gunplay in it is the least halo-like. I wanna play halo. I can deal with bad levels and shallow story plots if i still get to go in and wreck stuff up halo style. Reach has neither good gunplay nor good levels. Just a cesspool of yuck imo.
New Alexandria is pretty neat.

I can understand gunplay complaints, but some of the levels are pretty good (Long Night of Solace, New Alexandria) and the AI is absolutely phenomenal.

I love how in Reach they didn't give a fuck about mission length and splitting them into separate levels, too. Each mission is basically 3 or 4 on its own. Pillar of Autumn could probably count as 5 by Halo 2 standards.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
I feel like I'd get hand cramps from that. And oh the clicking noise....

how do you rate ODST?

Below Reach.

The Fall of Reach book was one of my favorite reads after having played CE. It created this universe in my head of what Halo was like, and after I just wanted a game that encapsulated that feeling. Reach was that game for me.

ODST did it well too, but Reach really shined by showing that Spartans were humans too with personalities, and reacted to the world around them. They weren't always the invincible super soilder that MC is. They were vulernable at a point and could actually die (shoulda worn your helmet Kat).

Also knowing the fate of Reach beforehand, and then attempting to fight off the unstopable Covenant army was such a crazy feeling. I still get chills sometimes playing Lone Wolf and watching Noble 6 die. It's like the ending of a fantastic story.

Now THIS is what I feel like you'd get hand cramps (or at least carpal tunnel) from:

0.jpg

Would be the best, imo, if it were longer and if the dialogue were at least a more believable PG-13/R rating.

I don't really mind the "Navy got its butt kicked" line considering he's still trying to be somewhat respectful of a branch that's defending Earth from the Covenant all the same. It just struck me as a military bearing thing. "Son of a gun" was delivered really awkwardly, though.

Impala26

I don't really mind the "Navy got its butt kicked" line considering he's still trying to be somewhat respectful of a branch that's defending Earth from the Covenant all the same. It just struck me as a military bearing thing. "Son of a gun" was delivered really awkwardly, though.

I can see that. I probably love ODST so much because of its unique setting for a Halo game (a pseudo-open world and its mystery-noir-rainy-night vibe) but also because it really fleshed out Mombasa in the Halo universe/story. Seriously, I felt most of the game was fan service by Bungie towards those who were disappointed that Halo 2/3 didn't have the elements or setting of that original H2 E3 demo.

Also, dat Firefly voice cast.

Tawpgun

Smg slayer on stone town. I unloaded my SMG in anger an quit out. No remorse. My halo honor knows it was the right call.

Jesus what is Tashi doing over there. Fix the damn map and gametypes! Give an option of BR's in the starting lineup. Don't EVER allow smg starts on big maps and make objective games br starts as well.

Tashi has experience as a community cartographer, but even more than that he has common sense. Give him or someone at the studio who shares in this common sense trait keys to the map and gametype library.

If the abundance of ar starts and stuff like smg and ars on big maps is just a relic of the rushed as fuck development of this game then fine. But please fix. It's infuriating to have mcc working more or less but not Being able to enjoy games because of shitty gametypes

First of all, how does spawning with a BR force you into using one? That will only come up if you play against skilled players who all prefer using the BR for the very reason that you can defend yourself off spawn and that they find it more rewarding to use.

If you're new to the game, and you get properly matched up with players at your skill level, your opponents won't be able to perfectly 4 shot you. They're not skilled and their aim isn't great obviously. Up close your AR/SMG will be even more valuable because it's harder to 4 shot up close with a BR when the player is moving left and right.

If you increase the base movement speed, all of what I said becomes even more apparent. BR 4 shots will be harder to get, ARs will be more valuable up close, etc...

BRs are only a problem for newer players if matchmaking fails to match you up with similarly skilled players.

IHaveIce

Banned
Frankie decides to ignore the whole debate about the logical choice of spawn loadout (and other stuff that seems to be way more important right now) and just chimes in for.. this?

Nobody tried to paint that bungie guy as a spokeperson for the whole franchise, though it is baffling how the games still release with these set ups just to fox it months later after seeing it was dumb. Again.

I mean is it because they want to just ensure they have something to work for the next months?

Madness

Well, there will be soon, but I bet you are wrong.

I'd assume Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo 3 have the higher players, based on voting choices I've seen so far. Will there be any plans to patch in population counters, especially once all playlists come back, or there is some consolidation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom