• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way in hell CE has the highest population. The kids that bought the Xbox One and the MCC already are either the 1% of insular shitbirds that want it in 1080p60 that'll make up an infinitesimal amount of the population, or the 99% that focus-tested Halo 4 into oblivion. Modern players just aren't going to "get" CE or even 2 to some degree, no matter how much you try and convince them it's the holy grail of console arena shooters, which isn't exactly a hard title to obtain in the first place.

"So, how do you sprint?"
"Oh, there's no sprint. You just move fast already."
"It feels like I'm moving through butter, dude. You really can't run in this one?"
"No, see, sprint is superfluous and conflicts with the golden trinity of Halo sandbox combat, wherein at any given time you're really supposed to be able to move, aim, shoot and perform context-sensitive actions such as entering a vehicle concurrently, and all the dumb 'modern' elements they added in future titles completely destroyed the skill curve and ultimately watered down a pure experience-"
"DUDE I JUST ASKED IF YOU COULD RUN"
"Combat Evolved's the pinnacle of FPS multiplayer, though! Call of Duty ruined shooters!"
"What the hell are you talking about? Did I hit a nerve or something?"
"Nuh-uh."
"It's just a game, dude."
"Maybe to you it is!"
I'm guessing the distribution is going to be:
Halo 3 and H2A battle for first place until they sort out matchmaking and reduce H2A weightings (MCC currently has 3 all-H2AMP playlists), at which point 3 overtakes it
Halo 4
Halo 2
Halo CE

jem0208

New H5 footage spotted over on Reddit, holy hell at the ground pound range.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxbnx5jIK9-IZWlyU094NHBPUDA/view
Mobile friendly link?

Now THIS is what I feel like you'd get hand cramps (or at least carpal tunnel) from:

0.jpg

Claw is the GOAT. However I decided to transition to bumper jumper which has made it less necessary. I still find myself clawing all the time.

-Ryn

Banned
1.) No way. It looks way too crafted and artistically designed.

2.) To me, Halo 5 is shaping up to be the best MP in the series since Halo 2. Yes, I actually think it looks better than Halo 3.

I have come to terms with sprint. The ADS in all reality doesn't bother me much (still hoping for a harmless toggle off option) and the spartan abilities look like genuine fun to use and become skillful with.

It ain't classic Halo, but it seems like the best blend of new with classic elements I have seen in a long time. The AR and Magnum seem appropriately powerful and seem to be a good fit for starting weapons.

EDIT: BTW, thank you Ryn and anyone else who suggested some anime series. I made a big juicy order of quality anime on Amazon and I'm pumped! I'm almost done watching Serial Experiments Lain and it's quickly becoming one of my favorites.
1)Yeaahhh... I guess it's a bit much to hope for that. There are just so many similarities in the geometry that I had to wonder. Honestly though even if the only new additions we got were weather effects and night/day cycles I'd be happy.

2)If they keep this up and don't have any surprise bullshit waiting I think it will be as well. Especially if they add toggles for sprint and the abilities. I can't wait to see what the AR and pistol feel like. Then there's all the other weapons they haven't revealed yet. I'm really excited.

--

I hope you enjoy the anime dude!
Let me know if you're ever interested in hearing about some others. There's some awesome stuff out there.

I'd love to hear what you think of them as well.

Micro and Macro

Halo's movement speed, relative to map size, should be slow enough so that individual encounters can be segregated into different portions of the map. At the same time, freedom of movement within those portions should be dynamic enough to provide players with meaningful choices during their semi-islolated engagements.

Strafing needs to be the player's most effective defensive ability. Quick movement acceleration and deceleration, fluid interplay between crouch and jump, as well as a stamina based Thruster, would raise the defensive ability skill ceiling.

Halo and Combos

Not BXR or double shot, but action combos.

Think of everything in terms of a player using it while strafing.

Crouch
Jump
Short hop
Crouch jump
Gandhi hop
Spring jump
Slide jump
Slide

These actions can be performed while a player is moving in any direction. These actions don't prevent a player from fighting back. A player who can combine his ability to attack, his ability to evade, and his ability to interact with map geometry, all at the same time, is truly skilled.
Hopefully there's a lot of interplay between the various abilities. If what Josh said is any indication there will be.

Haha. Thanks for noticing. ;)

I have been MCC free for about a week. I feel like I can see the whole world in a new light.
Breaking the surface of the salty sea of despair can do that for ya lol

(shoulda worn your helmet Kat).

Also knowing the fate of Reach beforehand, and then attempting to fight off the unstopable Covenant army was such a crazy feeling. I still get chills sometimes playing Lone Wolf and watching Noble 6 die. It's like the ending of a fantastic story.
She actually did put on her helmet but her shields weren't up because reasons. Also somehow none of them heard the ridiculously loud humming of the Dropship.

The ending of Reach was one of the only good deaths in the game imo. It was a great example of mixing story and gameplay. You hold out as long as you can but eventually it becomes apparent that you aren't getting out of this alive. The cracked screen was especially well done. While I could nitpick and say "Why didn't Six try and high jack a Banshee or a Dropship?" ultimately it was well done.

Most of that other deaths felt very forced or just dumb imo.

Impala26

No way in hell CE has the highest population. The kids that bought the Xbox One and the MCC already are either the 1% of insular shitbirds that want it in 1080p60 that'll make up an infinitesimal amount of the population, or the 99% that focus-tested Halo 4 into oblivion. Modern players just aren't going to "get" CE or even 2 to some degree, no matter how much you try and convince them it's the holy grail of console arena shooters, which isn't exactly a hard title to obtain in the first place.

"So, how do you sprint?"
"Oh, there's no sprint. You just move fast already."
"It feels like I'm moving through butter, dude. You really can't run in this one?"
"No, see, sprint is superfluous and conflicts with the golden trinity of Halo sandbox combat, wherein at any given time you're really supposed to be able to move, aim, shoot and perform context-sensitive actions such as entering a vehicle concurrently, and all the dumb 'modern' elements they added in future titles completely destroyed the skill curve and ultimately watered down a pure experience-"
"DUDE I JUST ASKED IF YOU COULD RUN"
"Combat Evolved's the pinnacle of FPS multiplayer, though! Call of Duty ruined shooters!"
"What the hell are you talking about? Did I hit a nerve or something?"
"Nuh-uh."
"It's just a game, dude."
"Maybe to you it is!"
I'm guessing the distribution is going to be:
Halo 3 and H2A battle for first place until they sort out matchmaking and reduce H2A weightings (MCC currently has 3 all-H2AMP playlists), at which point 3 overtakes it
Halo 4
Halo 2
Halo CE

Wahrer with another GOLDEN post.

Madness

UI looks amazing. I like how dynamic things are happening in background. Plus at least we see the energy sword again. So many kept asking if Prophets Bane replaced it. Don't know if I'm a fan of how they announce your team has the energy sword.

Computer

Thanks for posting.

LightRifle re-design:

1u7u8c.gif

How many utility weapons do we need? I was hoping Promethean weapons would be gone. Did not like any of them. Sand box redundancy. Ground pound is a joke. There is no risk in it and its a cheap ass kill. Where is the fall damage? it breaks map design. Everyone will want to be on high ground now. Come on 343. All this shit reduces gun play. There are two encounters were the player just sprinted into each other with a thrust melee for a one shot kill. The last ground pound the guy with high ground was being out shot so he ground pounded from a mile away for the kill. WTF is this shit.

jem0208

How many utility weapons do we need? I was hoping Promethean weapons would be gone. Did not like any of them. Sand box redundancy.
What's wrong with variety? Yes they will probably fulfill very similar roles, however as long as one isn't vastly OP I see no harm in it. Means people have a greater number of choices.

I still think they should completely remove the damage from ground pound.

Make it into a traversal tool, if you're high up you can very quickly traverse quite a large distance with it.

How many utility weapons do we need? I was hoping Promethean weapons would be gone. Did not like any of them. Sand box redundancy. Ground pound is a joke. There is no risk in it and its a cheap ass kill. Where is the fall damage? it breaks map design. Everyone will want to be on high ground now. Come on 343.

should i tell him or

TheOddOne

It will be interesting to see how people counter Ground Pound with the other movement sets. There does seem to be some lack of awareness of the tools people have at their disposal, at least that is what I get from the videos featuring Ground Pound kills.

Wow thrust melee is a fucking joke. So Halo 5 is just sprint the thrust into people leaving them one shot. Also holy ground pound. This is not looking good.

I called that shit

Nobody likes a mechanic that lets you melee someone from a long distance. Even if you miss, you're going to get close enough to the opponent that the opponent will opt to melee you instead of shoot you. It happens all the time without that lunge. Players will use a melee and go for the final headshot or try and get two melees before the other guy whenever they're really close to one another.

Another possibility of the charge is that even if you catch a person sprinting and start shooting at him, the person might opt to go for a charge to get your shields down as opposed to stopping and trying to shoot you. Yeah he might not kill you, but when he's on a team he will still leave you one shot for his teammates to finish you.

It just seems like it could be a frustrating mechanic.

It's going to be a frustrating mechanic. I found the lunge annoying in Halo 3, and that lunge is nothing compared to this mechanic.

What's wrong with variety? Yes they will probably fulfill very similar roles, however as long as one isn't vastly OP I see no harm in it. Means people have a greater number of choices.

I still think they should completely remove the damage from ground pound.

Make it into a traversal tool, if you're high up you can very quickly traverse quite a large distance with it.

Can you really call it variety if the difference in the weapon is minute? I remember people using the variety argument in Halo 3 when the spiker, smg, ar, and plasma rifle differences were so small that they all felt the same. It's one of the reasons why I think CE's plasma rifle was good. The stun made it unique.

belushy

Banned
So the only thing I'm disappointed in so far for H5 beta, is 4 out of the 7 maps (not counting Crossfire since it is forge map, but I guess it counts) are symmetrical maps. I like asym maps too, 343.

RowdyReverb

Blue player could have easily dodged that with thrusters and gotten the kill. I think people will do a lot of ground pounding in the first week until players get the hang of countering it. Same with charging. Players will be able to thrust sideways, dodge, and get the kill. Thrusters are really the thing that balances the Spartan abilities. Players will catch on and nullify the OP-ness of them.

Blue player could have easily dodged that with thrusters and gotten the kill. I think people will do a lot of ground pounding in the first week until players get the hang of countering it. Same with charging. Players will be able to thrust sideways, dodge, and get the kill. Thrusters are really the thing that balances the Spartan abilities. Players will catch on and nullify the OP-ness of them.

I'm with you, neither of those GP victims used thrusters or even jump etc to dodge.

Computer

I'm with you, neither of those GP victims used thrusters or even jump etc to dodge.

Will a thrust be enough to avoid the splash damage? Also you can only thrust like one time every 4 seconds. There needs to be fall damage when you ground pound. Was empire always a night time map? So much sprinting makes the game play look to much like Halo 4 to me.

Nobody likes a mechanic that lets you melee someone from a long distance. Even if you miss, you're going to get close enough to the opponent that the opponent will opt to melee you instead of shoot you. It happens all the time without that lunge. Players will use a melee and go for the final headshot or try and get two melees before the other guy whenever they're really close to one another.

Another possibility of the charge is that even if you catch a person sprinting and start shooting at him, the person might opt to go for a charge to get your shields down as opposed to stopping and trying to shoot you. Yeah he might not kill you, but when he's on a team he will still leave you one shot for his teammates to finish you.

It just seems like it could be a frustrating mechanic.

Basically all this extra BS dose is promote cheap kills without using gun play.

Will a thrust be enough to avoid the splash damage? Also you can only thrust like one time every 4 seconds. There needs to be fall damage when you ground pound. Was empire always a night time map? So much sprinting makes the game play look to much like Halo 4 to me.

Don't know yet mate. Does GP have a reset time as well? Fall damage for extreme heights seems like a good additional mechanic though.

RowdyReverb

Will a thrust be enough to avoid the splash damage? Also you can only thrust like one time every 4 seconds. There needs to be fall damage when you ground pound. Was empire always a night time map?
I think a longer recovery from using a ground pound wouldn't be the worst idea. Perhaps a missed GP should freeze the attacker long enough for the defender to get in 2-3 BR/DMR shots? I'll have to wait and try it out myself to decide.

Penalizing a player with straight up damage for using an ability is lazy balancing imo.

Blueblur1

Light Rifle... :-/

I hope it serves a different role in the sandbox. We don't need 4 mid range rifles.

Also, I agree that ground pound looks like it's too easy to use. You should lose part of your shield, have to endure a long start-up time, or suffer some other consequence for using it.

Light Rifle... :-/

I hope it serves a different role in the sandbox. We don't need 4 mid range rifles.

Also, I agree that ground pound looks like it's too easy to use. You should lose part of your shield, have to endure a long start-up time, or suffer some other consequence for using it.

Which is why they got rid of the carbine, just you watch. :(

Madness

So the only thing I'm disappointed in so far for H5 beta, is 4 out of the 7 maps (not counting Crossfire since it is forge map, but I guess it counts) are symmetrical maps. I like asym maps too, 343.

343 conundrum. Abundance of asymmetrical and "functionally symmetrical" maps for Halo 4 and the get called out on the fact there aren't as many symmetrical ones. They focus on symmetrical and now you're complaining that you like asymmetrical as well.

They're trying to push the eSports, 4v4, competitive gameplay. Symmetrical works best for that which is why they probably have those for the beta. You'll probably still end up getting your asymmetrical fix.

belushy

Banned
343 conundrum. Abundance of asymmetrical and "functionally symmetrical" maps for Halo 4 and the get called out on the fact there aren't as many symmetrical ones. They focus on symmetrical and now you're complaining that you like asymmetrical as well.

They're trying to push the eSports, 4v4, competitive gameplay. Symmetrical works best for that which is why they probably have those for the beta. You'll probably still end up getting your asymmetrical fix.

I'm complaining because I said I like asym maps?

edit: Anyway, I guess you're right. I'm not saying there won't be any asym maps in the game, just that I hope there is in the beta. Plus there is forge.

Dimensional Separation

Forward positioning

Pro: Gain advantageous positions
Con: Expose flanks

Lateral strafing

Pro: Harder to hit
Con: Remain in one area

Upward jumping

Pro: New available paths
Con: Vulnerable transition

Don't we have enough trade offs already?

Guys, ground pound has such a huge range so you can get the Deep Impact achievement where you get a ground pound kill over 50 meters or more, duh

If you can ground pound in campaign, I see 90% ground pounds in speedruns

counterpoint: every level involves uphill progression

Exile - Blue team has a gauss hog because red is closer to the scorpion. I honestly hated stuff like that, it felt like they realized these unfair advantages after the map was made and tried to fix them through forge. There was also that backwards jump on Solace from the mid beam to the tower, that could only be done on one side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom