• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
How do you guys copy and paste tweets easily? Using like the phone screenshot feature and then just crop and upload? Or is there some twitter trick that let's you grab just the tweet easily?

On Mac, ⌘ + ⇧ + 4 , then upload the snipped screenshot to imgur and share.

Why did they get rid of the bug in Halo 3 where grenades clip through moving Pelicans, allowing you to kill the pilot and send the Pelican clipping through the world? Grenades still clip through, but they bounce off the pilots and Spike Grenades (the preferred method) stick to the windshield now, and they didn't before. Not while the Pelican was in motion, anyway.

Nowise10

Why did they get rid of the bug in Halo 3 where grenades clip through moving Pelicans, allowing you to kill the pilot and send the Pelican clipping through the world? Grenades still clip through, but they bounce off the pilots and Spike Grenades (the preferred method) stick to the windshield now, and they didn't before. Not while the Pelican was in motion, anyway.

I'm 100% positive it still works bra.

Nowise10

I just tried it a bunch with the hangar Pelican on Crow's Nest and couldn't get it to work, no idea what I was doing wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyHASooaT8w

Go to 0:50.

I don't know if you can stick the hanger pelican in Crows Nest, but I made a video back in the Halo 3 days killing that pelican, using the energy shield instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7NbA-VcNpY#t=76
Go to 1:16. And please don't watch the 50 second intro I thought was a genius idea back then.

-Ryn

Banned
New H5 footage spotted over on Reddit, holy hell at the ground pound range.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxbnx5jIK9-IZWlyU094NHBPUDA/view
Watching that again, first off...

giphy.gif

GAAAAWWWWD this game is gorgeous.

Second, I'm really happy to see the increased verticality in maps. It's going to be really cool to jump between the different levels with all the new mechanics at play. Skill jumps hopefully abound.

HTupolev

See how the orange light on the scope beautifully shines on the rifle? I wonder if that's a dynamic light. Like, if the player stood by a wall, would there be orange light cast on the wall as well? Or is the player themself partially illuminated by that warm glow?
It being 2014, it's almost certainly a "true" dynamic light. Just about all modern game engines are build to handle tons of them.

Well you're in luck as they've already confirmed the final game will be in 1080p.
What they said was "for the beta, we're going to be coming out at 720p and 60fps. That's not the final resolution for the game."

Hardly "it's going to be 1080p."

-Ryn

Banned
Easily? K. I'd like to see your clips not getting donged on, I mean GP'd on, in the beta.
Rewatch those clips of people looking up at the guy about to ground pound and tell me you couldn't easily thrust out of the way. Especially when this thruster pack has a decent distance it covers.

I'd image it'll run on that odd resolution count that H2A has, if not full 1080p.
That's what I'm thinking

Rewatch those clips of people looking up at the guy about to ground pound and tell me you couldn't easily thrust out of the way. Especially when this thruster pack has a decent distance it covers.
Depends on TTK and Distance. But what happens when a player(s) aren't able to detect an incoming GP Thrusting player and react quick enough to dodge it? They get significant damage or instant kill.

-Ryn

Banned
Depends on TTK and Distance. But what happens when a player(s) aren't able to detect an incoming GP Thrusting player and react quick enough to dodge it? They get significant damage or instant kill.
You can just as easily be insta killed from behind if you are caught off gaurd.

I think the Ground Pound needs tweaking but even as it is now it can still be easily dodged if you stay aware. Even if you aren't looking you have your radar which still has height detection (somehow).

Naturally. Though if 343i decided to "not strictly lie" by taking the resolution below 720p, the internet reaction would be more than worth any ill effects to the image quality.
There aren't enough popcorn.gif's

Madness

From what I understand they just screen cap and then edit the image. Upload to preferred site and boom tweet shot.

Puush or snipping tool.

On Mac, ⌘ + ⇧ + 4 , then upload the snipped screenshot to imgur and share.

Thanks. Yeah, I was already just screenshotting entire screen, then going to this editing app, cropping it and then uploading to imgur. Thought there was some easier way because some dudes post tweets within seconds.

Omni

Three games of BTB tonight. Each time a laggy mess, but still. Actually finding a game is an improvement, let alone 3

Small steps...

ultimota

if you don't see the dude floating in the air about to GP you chances are you are in a stupid position and got out played

mind you the guy using the GP is giving up the high ground so that's a stupid play on his part for 1 kill

if you don't see the dude floating in the air about to GP you chances are you are in a stupid position and got out played

mind you the guy using the GP is giving up the high ground so that's a stupid play on his part for 1 kill
This is the thing few people comment on. What would happen if you used Ground Pound all willy nilly in a 4v4 against high level players who are aware of sight lines and covering positions? Chances are you'd be dead and hurting your team in the long run.

Could be broken or could be one of the best mechanics in Halo since dual wiel.... bloo...... Armor Abili........... well, since plasma stun?

-Ryn

Banned
This is the thing few people comment on. What would happen if you used Ground Pound all willy nilly in a 4v4 against high level players who are aware of sight lines and covering positions? Chances are you'd be dead and hurting your team in the long run.

Could be broken or could be one of the best mechanics in Halo since dual wiel.... bloo...... Armor Abili........... well, since plasma stun?
Could it be we have found a true successor to the throne?

Who knows, but Halo 5 looks like it'll please my fast reactions, whereas previous Halo games force you to play too methodical and defensive. Sure, many can argue that's what Halo is about, and to an extent I agree, but I need a change that isn't CoD with perks and RPG elements.. What I need is a fast Halo game that empowers any single player and feels fresh enough from previous games while retaining its core identity.

Will this game do that? Maybe, maybe not, but this is the life we must live as Halo fans. These are the journeys we are destined to go on, the questions that are UNKNOWN, waiting to be answered and experiences to be had. If the game fails, #JustAnotherHalo, but if the game succeeds... #We'reBack
, A Halo Fan's Story.

-Ryn

Banned
Who knows, but Halo 5 looks like it'll please my fast reactions, whereas previous Halo games force you to play too methodical and defensive. Sure, many can argue that's what Halo is about, and to an extent I agree, but I need a change that isn't CoD with perks and RPG elements.. What I need is a fast Halo game that empowers any single player and feels fresh enough from previous games while retaining its core identity.

Will this game do that? Maybe, maybe not, but this is the life we must live as Halo fans. These are the journeys we are destined to go on, the questions that are UNKNOWN, waiting to be answered and experiences to be had. If the game fails, #JustAnotherHalo, but if the game succeeds... #We'reBack
, A Halo Fan's Story.
3213623821584399612.gif

One reason I loved Halo so much was because my own ability could allow me to come out on top, even if I started at a disadvantage. Later games made it harder and harder to play offensively on your own. Halo 5 looks like it might just be putting a stop to that.
If there aren't any bullshit surprises waiting for us I think Halo 5 could be the greatest Halo yet.

Halo: The Great
40 year
Journey
I really hope the worst is behind us

Madness

One reason I loved Halo so much was because my own ability could allow me to come out on top, even if I started at a disadvantage. Later games made it harder and harder to play offensively on your own. Halo 5 looks like it might just be putting a stop to that.
If there aren't any bullshit surprises waiting for us I think Halo 5 could be the greatest Halo yet.

Halo: The Great
40 year
Journey
I really hope the worst is behind us

x8bIXfx.jpg

ultimota

, A Halo Fan's Story.

my favourite post since joining gaf <3

, A Halo Fan's Story.

Well then let us push on deeper into the FUNKNOWN...wait.

Randomly got put in a btb game with tawpgun and cliq and did absolutely terrible. It was CE which I'm apparently terrible at but at least the map was neat. It was ice field I think? Warthogs sliding around is a neat idea I'd love to see that come back. That map should have got a remake.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I understand wanting BR's. But then again there's something to be said for fighting for power weapons. If everyone has BR's, then it's mostly just BR shooting in lanes.

I disagree. The utility weapon should never be seen as a power weapon. It's a utility weapon players spawn with, and it should be able to defend those players from all ranges.

When everyone has a BR, it makes the fights for the power weapons more fair, challenging, and exciting. If a guy is weilding a BR and you just spawned with SMGs and he's going for the sniper...how exactly is that fair? Especially if you're spawned in a line of sight where he will get one or two shots on you with snipe before you're able to seek cover. If you spawned with a BR, you can at least return fire on him to defend yourself off your spawn.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Last night I played about 10 games total. Played two in H2A ranked and then the rest in Team Slayer.

I was surprised that out of eight matches, six of them, HCE was voted for and won. The other two, people voted Team Slayer on Midship (plasma rifle starts).

On top of this, the gametypes made available for voting were biased toward Team Slayer. There was rarely a Team Slayer BR game, but there was always a HCE game, and thankfully people voted for it.

I'm impressed how much HCE gets voted for, at least when I play it does. I've never played more than 2v2s back in the old Xbox days of system link. 4v4 Team Slayer is a completely different ball game, and it's the fastest Halo I've ever played. I love it!

I can't wait for the HCE playlist, and hopefully it turns out to be a highly populated playlist. I think a lot of people love HCE and they've never been able to play multiplayer HCE up till now.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
If thousands of people say they don't want sprint in Halo 5, I highly doubt they will change/alter it.

Feedback will be on, how can we balance what's already in the game? They're not going to entirely remove anything. Things will get nerfed, buffed, or adjusted, that's it.

All of the features of Halo 5 are indeed features. They're not going to just delete any of them.

At most, they can make them toggle and toggle them on/off for specific game modes and playlists.

Like in Halo 3, the flare for example, was pretty much removed from majority of matchmaking maps in multiplayer. Likewise, other equipment was either removed/added to establish balance in multiplayer.

We can sit here and beg them forever to remove specific things from Halo 5, but rest assured, they're not going to "remove" them.

I think realistically we should request a toggle for every spartan ability. The ADS will not be a toggle. They've designed art for the ADS to be used when you do smart scoping. You think they're going to add a scope back to the BR?

I've lost faith in providing any feedback for a beta of any game based on betas in the past. Feedback is selectively chosen. Even when the Halo 3 beta was coming out, Bungie themselves said in an interview that the beta was purely for stress testing the network. Any weapon balance suggestions would be heard, but that it was be slim chances they would tweak anything.

Welfare

If thousands of people say they don't want sprint in Halo 5, I highly doubt they will change/alter it.

Even if everyone said "No sprint!", 343 would not change anything.

Feedback will be on, how can we balance what's already in the game? They're not going to entirely remove anything. Things will get nerfed, buffed, or adjusted, that's it.
Exactly. Any actual legitimate arguments for one abilities removal will be completely passed by 343.

All of the features of Halo 5 are indeed features. They're not going to just delete any of them.

At most, they can make them toggle and toggle them on/off for specific game modes and playlists.
This is 343. They won't give us that type of freedom.

Like in Halo 3, the flare for example, was pretty much removed from majority of matchmaking maps in multiplayer. Likewise, other equipment was either removed/added to establish balance in multiplayer.
These were on map pickups though, so it's way easier to remove than SA.

We can sit here and beg them forever to remove specific things from Halo 5, but rest assured, they're not going to "remove" them.

I think realistically we should request a toggle for every spartan ability. The ADS will not be a toggle. They've designed art for the ADS to be used when you do smart scoping. You think they're going to add a scope back to the BR?
They won't give us this.

I've lost faith in providing any feedback for a beta of any game based on betas in the past. Feedback is selectively chosen. Even when the Halo 3 beta was coming out, Bungie themselves said in an interview that the beta was purely for stress testing the network. Any weapon balance suggestions would be heard, but that it was be slim chances they would tweak anything.
Yup. Pretty sure 343 already know how to balance things like Ground Pound and weapons. We will just be telling them things they already know.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
These were on map pickups though, so it's way easier to remove than SA.

If we can adjust shield recharge rate, player movement speed, player health, whether the player is camo all the time, etc...I see no reason why we can't toggle spartan abilities.

If we can't toggle them, then it's an outright slap in the face to those who do not want to play that type of Halo.

The beauty of Halo is that we have always been able to make it any kind of game we want. It is in fact, a FPS sandbox game. We can play free for all rockets with infinite ammo, we can do phantom swords, we can play rocket race, we can do grifball, etc. There's so many countless ways to shape Halo into any game you want basically.

If 343 doesn't toggle the spartan abilities, then it's going backwards on design principles of Halo.

Welfare

If we can adjust shield recharge rate, player movement speed, player health, whether the player is camo all the time, etc...I see no reason why we can't toggle spartan abilities.

If we can't toggle them, then it's an outright slap in the face to those who do not want to play that type of Halo.

The beauty of Halo is that we have always been able to make it any kind of game we want. It is in fact, a FPS sandbox game. We can play free for all rockets with infinite ammo, we can do phantom swords, we can play rocket race, we can do grifball, etc. There's so many countless ways to shape Halo into any game you want basically.

If 343 doesn't toggle the spartan abilities, then it's going backwards on design principles of Halo.
343 wouldn't let us have a toggle for sprint or flinch or fall damage in Halo 4. They will not give us a toggle for Spartan Abilities.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
343 wouldn't let us have a toggle for sprint or flinch or fall damage in Halo 4. They will not give us a toggle for Spartan Abilities.

Then I don't understand how it's any different from people who want to play SWAT, snipers, rockets, rocket race, phantom swords, grifball, etc.

If I just want to play classic slayer in Halo 5, which would mean:

No spartan abilities
No sprint

Weapons are timed drops
Powerups are timed drops

...What makes this wrong to do? In otherwords, why can players play SWAT but I can't play classic slayer? It's dumb not to give a variety of options so players can play the game the way they want.

m23

Have we heard anything about split screen for Halo 5? Friend says no split screen for the beta and max 2 players in the final game. Considering its so early I'm calling bs on it but just wondering if it was confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom