• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welfare

Then I don't understand how it's any different from people who want to play SWAT, snipers, rockets, rocket race, phantom swords, grifball, etc.

If I just want to play classic slayer in Halo 5, which would mean:

No spartan abilities
No sprint

Weapons are timed drops
Powerups are timed drops

...What makes this wrong to do? In otherwords, why can players play SWAT but I can't play classic slayer? It's dumb not to give a variety of options so players can play the game the way they want.
They don't give a fuck about classic gameplay. Don't you remember Halo 4's "Classic" playlist at launch? Loadouts, sprint, flinch, the works.

They will keep playlists like SWAT because it'll just be Halo 5 with no shields.

They don't care for the classic gameplay.

However, even CoD AW has a "classic" playlist where the Exo suit is off, so hopefully 343 copy them on that.

if you don't see the dude floating in the air about to GP you chances are you are in a stupid position and got out played

mind you the guy using the GP is giving up the high ground so that's a stupid play on his part for 1 kill

You can just as easily be insta killed from behind if you are caught off gaurd.

I think the Ground Pound needs tweaking but even as it is now it can still be easily dodged if you stay aware. Even if you aren't looking you have your radar which still has height detection (somehow).

There aren't enough popcorn.gif's

This is the thing few people comment on. What would happen if you used Ground Pound all willy nilly in a 4v4 against high level players who are aware of sight lines and covering positions? Chances are you'd be dead and hurting your team in the long run.

Could be broken or could be one of the best mechanics in Halo since dual wiel.... bloo...... Armor Abili........... well, since plasma stun?

Could it be we have found a true successor to the throne?

Who knows, but Halo 5 looks like it'll please my fast reactions, whereas previous Halo games force you to play too methodical and defensive. Sure, many can argue that's what Halo is about, and to an extent I agree, but I need a change that isn't CoD with perks and RPG elements.. What I need is a fast Halo game that empowers any single player and feels fresh enough from previous games while retaining its core identity.

Will this game do that? Maybe, maybe not, but this is the life we must live as Halo fans. These are the journeys we are destined to go on, the questions that are UNKNOWN, waiting to be answered and experiences to be had. If the game fails, #JustAnotherHalo, but if the game succeeds... #We'reBack
, A Halo Fan's Story.

3213623821584399612.gif

One reason I loved Halo so much was because my own ability could allow me to come out on top, even if I started at a disadvantage. Later games made it harder and harder to play offensively on your own. Halo 5 looks like it might just be putting a stop to that.
If there aren't any bullshit surprises waiting for us I think Halo 5 could be the greatest Halo yet.

Halo: The Great
40 year
Journey
I really hope the worst is behind us
Let's be honest. You all agree that it needs more tweaking, yes?

I feel like it should only kill if your shields are dangerously low or no shields at all to earn a risky maneuver at the cost of exposing your position. But your shields shouldn't recharge after using it the moment you're floating to GP. Otherwise it's too easy to acquire kills and space ninja people from higher ground and quickly moving from point A high ground to point B low ground at the expense of changing positioning. There needs to be a nerf. I don't like how easily players can rocket across maps like that without further tradeoff/nerf.

Akai__

They seriously need to fix the glitch, where it would throw you right into the post game screen, before the game even starts. I couldn't play 3 Guardian BR's games, because of that...

CliQ

Who knows, but Halo 5 looks like it'll please my fast reactions, whereas previous Halo games force you to play too methodical and defensive. Sure, many can argue that's what Halo is about, and to an extent I agree, but I need a change that isn't CoD with perks and RPG elements.. What I need is a fast Halo game that empowers any single player and feels fresh enough from previous games while retaining its core identity.

Will this game do that? Maybe, maybe not, but this is the life we must live as Halo fans. These are the journeys we are destined to go on, the questions that are UNKNOWN, waiting to be answered and experiences to be had. If the game fails, #JustAnotherHalo, but if the game succeeds... #We'reBack
, A Halo Fan's Story.

TLDR

willow ve

Aye. I hope they listen to all feedback seriously.

It's hard to figure out how to weight feedback - to be fair to 343.

There will be feedback from COD fans who want it to be more like COD (regardless of whether or not they'll play the game longer than 2 weeks).

There will be feedback from old Halo fans who want old Halo to return.
There will be feedback from new Halo fans (who started at Reach) that want new Halo features.

How do you parse all of this into usable feedback and design data? I definitely don't envy the team at 343 who has to come up with this.

It's hard to figure out how to weight feedback - to be fair to 343.

There will be feedback from COD fans who want it to be more like COD (regardless of whether or not they'll play the game longer than 2 weeks).

There will be feedback from old Halo fans who want old Halo to return.
There will be feedback from new Halo fans (who started at Reach) that want new Halo features.

How do you parse all of this into usable feedback and design data? I definitely don't envy the team at 343 who has to come up with this.
How about listening to the people that fucking know halo? Not the cod kids who will leave. A good mixture of actual halo fans and those converted that want to stay and play halo.

And ffs even call of duty has a classic option. If 343 doesn't then its a bigger spit in the face to the fans than the abysmal launch of the MCC.

While everyone is getting annoyed about ground slam and sprint, I'm gettin' all nitpicky and continue to wonder why the assault rifle shoots the way it does. All the other weapons seem to pack more punch than they ever have. But with the AR The muzzle flash and weapon feedback looks the same as it has since Halo 3. Bungie figured out how to make better automatics in Destiny, I wish 343 could do the same with Halo.

VinFTW

How about listening to the people that fucking know halo? Not the cod kids who will leave. A good mixture of actual halo fans and those converted that want to stay and play halo.

And ffs even call of duty has a classic option. If 343 doesn't then its a bigger spit in the face to the fans than the abysmal launch of the MCC.

Id rather them just strike a balance to where all people want to play the same game and it feels right on either side of the fence.

I feel like splitting the community is a sure fire way of killing the game regardless if it's already heading in that direction based of opinion or not.

While everyone is getting annoyed about ground slam and sprint, I'm gettin' all nitpicky and continue to wonder why the assault rifle shoots the way it does. All the other weapons seem to pack more punch than they ever have. But with the AR The muzzle flash and weapon feedback looks the same as it has since Halo 3. Bungie figured out how to make better automatics in Destiny, I wish 343 could do the same with Halo.
Which is weird because halo 4 and h2as AR are the best ars in the series for me (sound, feel, look).

TTUVAPOR

Banned
If I played in a COD beta and asked for non-COD elements...they would laugh at me.

Yet, if I go into a Halo beta and ask for COD elements, I'm met with welcome arms.

Hypocrisy.

Welfare

If I played in a COD beta and asked for non-COD elements...they would laugh at me.

Yet, if I go into a Halo beta and ask for COD elements, I'm met with welcome arms.

Hypocrisy.

Don't you know? Halo needs to "move on" and make sure "everyone" can play the game without it feeling "outdated".

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Hypocrisy.

Y'all still saying how much CoD Halo 5 has in it? Go check Halo 4 and get back to me. 5 showing way less influence.

Also what Wharer said below. CoD isn't a set of definitive elements. Advanced Warfare was quite different than say, CoD4 was. So eventually, whether Halo added seemingly like features or not, CoD would touch on some of what Halo does. So maybe CoD is adding Halo elements while Halo borrows CoD stuff?

The whole "Halo is becoming CoD!" statement is reductive to what CoD actually is, which is a base "military guy runs around and shoots" sandbox that gets changed to suit the story and world each dev decides to build.

Hypocrisy.

I'm not defending the addition of coddly elements in Halo, but I have to point out that COD doesn't have a systemic or even substantial definitive sandbox ecology the way Halo does. "Authentic Call of Duty Experience" basically has to involve:

- running around as a human military person doing human military person things
- shooting people with guns
- people dying from these bullets pretty quickly. UNLESS REFUTED BY...
- perks
- exosuits
- killstreaks
- riot shields
- etcetera

And anything else is fair play. Hence we've got all sorts of weird emergent gameplay shit in Call of Duty like jetpack zombies, exosuits, laser beams, vending machine biochemical augmentation, etc. Whereas Halo established a pretty definitive par sandbox over the course of a game or four. It's not a perfect comparison to make.

Id rather them just strike a balance to where all people want to play the same game and it feels right on either side of the fence.

I feel like splitting the community is a sure fire way of killing the game regardless if it's already heading in that direction based of opinion or not.

Which is weird because halo 4 and h2as AR are the best ars in the series for me (sound, feel, look).

what's the point of catering to a community that really doesn't give a shit about halo?

Impala26

what's the point of catering to a community that really doesn't give a shit about halo?

I agree with you here actually. But I think it's not exactly that 343 is trying to emulate CoD, but that for some reason there's this thread of logic amongst the majority of AAA developers that CoD "sets the standard for modern console FPS gameplay" and they want to follow that due to some misplaced fear that their game won't be "modern" or "accessible".

Case in Point: Destiny gameplay

Akai__

I really wonder how the populations are for Halo MCC. I'm already meeting several people twice and thrice. In Team Slayer and Halo 3 that is.

What is everyone's opinions on precision weapon starts in Halo 5? Considering the pistol looks to be damn good and has 12 shot mags, I'd say I'm fine with having AR/pistol starts, in fact I would probably prefer it to give precision weapons more of an edge in the sandbox design. Then again, I'm usually fine with non-precision weapon starts for that very reason unlike many people here.

Welfare

I really wonder how the populations are for Halo MCC. I'm already meeting several people twice and thrice. In Team Slayer and Halo 3 that is.

I wonder that too, but alas. No population counter.

What is everyone's opinions on precision weapon starts in Halo 5? Considering the pistol look to be damn good and have 12 shot mags, I'd say I'm fine with having AR/pistol starts, in fact I would probably prefer it to give precision weapons more of an edge in the sandbox design. Then again, I'm usually fine with non-precision weapon starts for that very reason unlike many people here.

Nah, BR/AR are the way to go, or at least BR starts. The first match of Halo 5 gameplay we saw was AR starts, and it was so boring to watch.

belushy

Banned
What is everyone's opinions on precision weapon starts in Halo 5? Considering the pistol looks to be damn good and has 12 shot mags, I'd say I'm fine with having AR/pistol starts, in fact I would probably prefer it to give precision weapons more of an edge in the sandbox design. Then again, I'm usually fine with non-precision weapon starts for that very reason unlike many people here.

I think Pistol starts would be pretty sweet. I can see it being the norm for Breakout mode, maybe not all other modes, though. People love the BR too much.

As long as the Pistol can zoom in I'm cool with it. Halo 4 proved 343 knows how to make a good pistol, even if in Halo 4 it needed a little more beefiness visually / particularly / audibly.

I agree with you here actually. But I think it's not exactly that 343 is trying to emulate CoD, but that for some reason there's this thread of logic amongst the majority of AAA developers that CoD "sets the standard for modern console FPS gameplay" and they want to follow that due to some misplaced fear that their game won't be "modern" or "accessible".

Hmm well said. Good post.

Ramirez

Destiny and CoD aren't really similar at all.

ADS=chasing CoD to most of you, lol.

Impala26

Destiny and CoD aren't really similar at all.

ADS=chasing CoD to most of you, lol.

Obviously not with the aliens and speeder bikes and superpowers, but the gunplay with melee and grenades is quite similar to CoD. To me at least, and I have had three different people I know personally agree with me on that point.

At least you can usually cheese checkpoints in CE and get them at moments of your choosing. Fucking Halo 3 will just decide not to give you checkpoints sometimes. Learned that the hard way screwing around in the Crow's Nest hangar battle last night.

Ramirez

Obviously not with the aliens and speeder bikes and superpowers, but the gunplay with melee and grenades is quite similar to CoD. To me at least, and I have had three different people I know personally agree with me on that point.

Well, I guess that's that.

-Ryn

Banned
I think if anything 343 are more likely to give a toggle for ADS than they are the
other
Spartan Abilities. Frankie said they learned a lesson that the need for customization (options) is one of the most important lessons they learned from Halo 4. Let's hope they put their game design where their mouth is.

Let's be honest. You all agree that it needs more tweaking, yes?

I feel like it should only kill if your shields are dangerously low or no shields at all to earn a risky maneuver at the cost of exposing your position. But your shields shouldn't recharge after using it the moment you're floating to GP. Otherwise it's too easy to acquire kills and space ninja people from higher ground and quickly moving from point A high ground to point B low ground at the expense of changing positioning. There needs to be a nerf. I don't like how easily players can rocket across maps like that without further tradeoff/nerf.
I think that only a direct hit should kill. Anyone nearby might have some (minor) damage to shields. The reason being because I think that if you're gonna use ground pound it should be worth it. Losing the high ground for a single kill seems a little tipped in one direction. Though there are circumstances I can see it being worth it.

Anything else will cause a AoE knockback so that a) It makes it so players are aware of you if they weren't before thus increasing the trade off and b) To give them a chance to either get away or get a jump on you while you're recovering. I think a knockback would also give the Ground Pound more use against Vehicles.

Thoughts?

That's because while destiny is the epitome of "what could have been" it is still a good game that works lol
lmao well put

CooP-TroN

Banned
Sorry if this belongs in the mcc discussion thread, but I thought this belongs here.

If anyone wants to do the laso Playlist for HCE add me, I can't find anyone to do it with.

Gt:CoopTr0n

So, it's basically become a tradition that I give my parents canvas art for the house (like, for wall decoration) every year, and for obvious reasons most of it is more than a little halo-inspired. The last ones I posted here were from like two years ago, but the bottom line is that they were hand-painted and as a result pretty shit because I can't paint. This year I decided to up the ante a bit and get actual art done digitally and then have it printed on canvas, and I just picked it up not too long ago:

iboyMlxiFsI5qO.png

I'm calling this one The Delicate Art of Combat Control. If anyone wants the actual source image I can provide it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom