• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
What is everyone's opinions on precision weapon starts in Halo 5? Considering the pistol looks to be damn good and has 12 shot mags, I'd say I'm fine with having AR/pistol starts, in fact I would probably prefer it to give precision weapons more of an edge in the sandbox design. Then again, I'm usually fine with non-precision weapon starts for that very reason unlike many people here.

I really think it depends on the time to kill with the pistol vs the time to kill with the BR.

If you spawn with an AR/Pistol and some BR guy immediately sees you and can kill you faster than you can defend yourself, I don't think that's fair.

A player should never be penalized simply for dying and further penalized for getting a crappy spawn.

I still think people don't understand the need for a utility weapon as the starting weapon.

Madness

Destiny and CoD aren't really similar at all.

ADS=chasing CoD to most of you, lol.

Base gameplay is nearly identical. Sprint, aim down sights, insta-kill melee knife. Now I know those are industry standards basically, but for a developer who actively ignored those elements for over a decade, to put them in, you know what they were doing. Of course Destiny has its own style with it's movement options, it's class differences and supers, and they've tried to have unique futuristic weapons.

And yes, Aim Down Sights is chasing Call of Duty, especially for Bungie and 343. Halo 5 is the clearest example of chasing CoD with aim down sights. Ham-fisting it into the game, vehemently trying to say it's about immersion, there is no penalty to it. It's something the fanbase didn't even want more than sprint, and yet moving forward it will probably be in every game until whatever else becomes the flavor of the month in shooters.

jem0208

I really think it depends on the time to kill with the pistol vs the time to kill with the BR.

If you spawn with an AR/Pistol and some BR guy immediately sees you and can kill you faster than you can defend yourself, I don't think that's fair.

A player should never be penalized simply for dying and further penalized for getting a crappy spawn.

I still think people don't understand the need for a utility weapon as the starting weapon.

I don't think a utility weapon is entirely necessary. I think what's really needed is a capable spawn load out. The problem with previous games (IMO) is that the BR/DMR is very capable at most ranges. It essentially made many weapons completely redundant. I think a better solution would be to have two capable weapons at spawn that are useful in different roles.

Taking what looks like 5's default slayer loadout as an example. The AR appears to be very capable at close range and is usable at mid. This alone would be a bad spawn loadout. However the pistol appears to have a reasonable range and TTK. This means the player can still ping snipers out of scope and defend themselves at mid to long ranges off of spawn. It also solves the problem of little weapon variety beyond the BR and power weapons.

This is obviously making some assumptions based off of the little gameplay we've seen.

I don't think a utility weapon is entirely necessary. I think what's really needed is a capable spawn load out. The problem with previous games (IMO) is that the BR/DMR is very capable at most ranges. It essentially made many weapons completely redundant. I think a better solution would be to have two capable weapons at spawn that are useful in different roles.

Taking what looks like 5's default slayer loadout as an example. The AR appears to be very capable at close range and is usable at mid. This alone would be a bad spawn loadout. However the pistol appears to have a reasonable range and TTK. This means the player can still ping snipers out of scope and defend themselves at mid to long ranges off of spawn. It also solves the problem of little weapon variety beyond the BR and power weapons.

This is obviously making some assumptions based off of the little gameplay we've seen.

Wouldn't it be cool to see AR and pistol rewritten add the default competetive settings?

I agree though. I'm a CE guy at heart, but the starting loadout shouldn't necessarily be the "go to" weapon. A BR or DMR should kill pistol weilders, but the Pistol should be able to kill a BR or DMR wielder reasonably well with skill and maneuvering.

RSB

Banned
Obviously not with the aliens and speeder bikes and superpowers, but the gunplay with melee and grenades is quite similar to CoD. To me at least, and I have had three different people I know personally agree with me on that point.
Destiny feels much closer to COD than any other shooter, that's for sure. LOL Bungie.

And yeah, about ADS in Halo 5, if 343 doesn't add an option to use the classic scope in the final game, I won't even bother. That option shouldn't be that hard to include, and it would please everyone. Not including it would be a gigantic FU to many fans.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Wouldn't it be cool to see AR and pistol rewritten add the default competetive settings?

I agree though. I'm a CE guy at heart, but the starting loadout shouldn't necessarily be the "go to" weapon. A BR or DMR should kill pistol weilders, but the Pistol should be able to kill a BR or DMR wielder reasonably well with skill and maneuvering.

That's the issue that's plagued Halo post-HCE. Everything we spawn with by default is crap, intentionally and that's why we have always gone to BR starts because it's the closest we can get to HCE-style starting weapons.

I really want to see weapon timing play a huge role. And they need to be on timers less than two minutes.

HCE timers are glorious, they remind me of Quake. Rocket spawn every 60 seconds, no matter what, so in a 12 min match, that's 12 sets of rockets that will spawn in a given match. Same goes for snipers, and powerups.

Timing should be a huge thing in this game, but with the game telling you when shit is gonna drop, it kinda takes the fun out of remembering.

My main issue is, I'm tired of spawning with crap, just to die and repeat till I get a lucky spawn near a rifle or power weapon. Then I can easily kill the other peons that spawn with crap till they get a lucky spawn or I run out of ammo.

e.g., Plasma rifle starts in midship Halo 2...or any SMG start game.

willow ve

Base gameplay is nearly identical. Sprint, aim down sights, insta-kill melee knife. Now I know those are industry standards basically, but for a developer who actively ignored those elements for over a decade, to put them in, you know what they were doing. Of course Destiny has its own style with it's movement options, it's class differences and supers, and they've tried to have unique futuristic weapons.

And yes, Aim Down Sights is chasing Call of Duty, especially for Bungie and 343. Halo 5 is the clearest example of chasing CoD with aim down sights. Ham-fisting it into the game, vehemently trying to say it's about immersion, there is no penalty to it. It's something the fanbase didn't even want more than sprint, and yet moving forward it will probably be in every game until whatever else becomes the flavor of the month in shooters.

Speaking of ham-fisting it into Halo.

Anyone have a link or quote that attempts to explain why ADS is in the game? Why I suddenly see a gun taking up 35% of my field of view instead of the clean scope of yore?

Anyone have a link or quote that attempts to explain why ADS is in the game? Why I suddenly see a gun taking up 35% of my field of view instead of the clean scope of yore?

because they want to appeal to a group of people that dont give two shits about the game of halo.

"It's been in the fiction since day one"

I believe Frankie said something very close to that in the HaloFest video.

Real reason - chasing that cod crowd.

Blueblur1

They probably think it looks cool. And it kind of does, in my opinion. But as a mechanic its not as functional as standard scoping. Of course it'll supposedly work differently in Halo 5 (except for the automatic weapons apparently).

I'm okay with it as long as they get it functioning exactly like standard scoping. It shouldn't help with accuracy in any way. Especially with automatic weapons.

Madness

Which makes no sense, since the Spartans (and UNSC soldiers with an eye piece or goggles) do not need to raise the weapon to aim...

2cbnOaH.jpg

QbjYofg.jpg

XDn0Vtr.jpg

It's crazy to just imagine that a scope would go in front of a visor like this as well. Look at the size of the scope in the image, right in the middle of the visor etc. It just makes no sense to me.

willow ve

"because it's expected".

because they want to appeal to a group of people that dont give two shits about the game of halo.

"It's been in the fiction since day one"

I believe Frankie said something very close to that in the HaloFest video.

Real reason - chasing that cod crowd.

Which makes no sense, since the Spartans (and UNSC soldiers with an eye piece or goggles) do not need to raise the weapon to aim...
Was actually asking for a real quote or link, but these will do for now.

They probably think it looks cool. And it kind of does, in my opinion. But as a mechanic its not as functional as standard scoping. Of course it'll supposedly work differently in Halo 5 (except for the automatic weapons apparently).

I'm okay with it as long as they get it functioning exactly like standard scoping. It shouldn't help with accuracy in any way. Especially with automatic weapons.

except from gameplay it does modify the spread for Automatics so its not functionally aesthetic.

Blueblur1

except from gameplay it does modify the spread for Automatics so its not functionally aesthetic.

Right. Which I've addressed before. That's something I'll continue to harp on, honestly.

(And I don't really see the need for it. Especially after how they got the AR working so well in Halo 4 without the need for a scope.)

tootsi666

It's strange how much better Halo CE works compared to H2C after the patch. They really need to do some something to H2C netcode. I don't think dedis will be enough.

TCKaos

I have been getting consistently matched against people 30+ levels higher than me in H2A. I am not having fun. This game is actively preventing me from enjoying myself.

Parties are still borked, customs don't work, H3 Forge is broken, matchmaking still blows, map choices are shit, there's no file browser, AR starts all over the place, and it feels like every single time I play half of my team leaves.

I don't think I've completed a full game in this game yet. I've somehow managed to bumble my way through almost 200 games (I don't believe that, I think it's counting Forge and Customs), and I could probably count the number of times that I've started and finished with even teams and with no one quitting on a single, mangled, inoperable hand missing nearly all of its digits.

Let's be honest. You all agree that it needs more tweaking, yes?

I feel like it should only kill if your shields are dangerously low or no shields at all to earn a risky maneuver at the cost of exposing your position. But your shields shouldn't recharge after using it the moment you're floating to GP. Otherwise it's too easy to acquire kills and space ninja people from higher ground and quickly moving from point A high ground to point B low ground at the expense of changing positioning. There needs to be a nerf. I don't like how easily players can rocket across maps like that without further tradeoff/nerf.
Perhaps delay your shield recharging like with sprint? Either way, if the kill times are fast then GP shouldn't be too much of a problem. GP in Halo 3 though? Overpowered. It's going to depend on the surrounding sandbox.
What is everyone's opinions on precision weapon starts in Halo 5? Considering the pistol looks to be damn good and has 12 shot mags, I'd say I'm fine with having AR/pistol starts, in fact I would probably prefer it to give precision weapons more of an edge in the sandbox design. Then again, I'm usually fine with non-precision weapon starts for that very reason unlike many people here.
It depends on how effective AR/Magnum starts are in Halo 5. If they're weak again, then nope.. If they're powerful and can kill faster than a BR without luck? Let's test it out.
That's the issue that's plagued Halo post-HCE. Everything we spawn with by default is crap, intentionally and that's why we have always gone to BR starts because it's the closest we can get to HCE-style starting weapons.

I really want to see weapon timing play a huge role. And they need to be on timers less than two minutes.

HCE timers are glorious, they remind me of Quake. Rocket spawn every 60 seconds, no matter what, so in a 12 min match, that's 12 sets of rockets that will spawn in a given match. Same goes for snipers, and powerups.

Timing should be a huge thing in this game, but with the game telling you when shit is gonna drop, it kinda takes the fun out of remembering.

My main issue is, I'm tired of spawning with crap, just to die and repeat till I get a lucky spawn near a rifle or power weapon. Then I can easily kill the other peons that spawn with crap till they get a lucky spawn or I run out of ammo.

e.g., Plasma rifle starts in midship Halo 2...or any SMG start game.
I bring this up sometimes, but this another thing nobody is talking about: the importance of timing power weapons and Power-ups in Halo gameplay. This 3 minutes to get a new Power-up, Rocket, etc. is way too long for a game like Halo.

Keeps the flow interesting.

EDIT:
This is a Public Service Announcement to think twice before you jump in a Warthog with Tawpgun. Please be safe Gaf.

http://youtu.be/Pi5I0o5LkFM
Should have pulled this on him to get another teammate in there ;]

It's crazy to just imagine that a scope would go in front of a visor like this as well. Look at the size of the scope in the image, right in the middle of the visor etc. It just makes no sense to me.

"But they're not raising it to their visor, it's just a live feed of scope to the visor."

Is what they'll say, basically it's the same thing, but they changed for the worst in a shameful attempt to get CoD players.

Madness

"But they're not raising it to their visor, it's just a live feed of scope to the visor."

Is what they'll say, basically it's the same thing, but they changed for the worst in a shameful attempt to get CoD players.

Yeah, as opposed to the fact that the visor already tracked the aiming reticle for whatever the weapon was already aiming at. No, let's just block the entire viewpoint.

It is shameful, more importantly because they'll try and obfuscate the reason for implementation. Just straight up say it's because you want to copy Call of Duty, and that you're tired of the EGM reviewers and CoD kids asking why can I look through iron sights etc.

I had a feeling we would get ADS when I was speaking out against it and Frank replied that he couldn't qualitatively tell any difference between classic Halo or Aim Down Sights. It's because he was most likely playing the H5 beta at the time and knew ADS was coming.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Hold the presses, are you guys saying there's a doubles HCE playlist live right now?????????

Holy batman, I get off of work in a half hour!

Someone please screenshot for proof!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom