• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think there was any bad blood and it seems somewhat quite normal these days for the industry, and while of course we shouldn't be worried, but I think maybe two pages back we were talking about 343 and Halo being used as a resume builder in a sense. High turnover rate of employees. Can't really build a studio or develop the series if a lot of the top key guys leave after every iteration.

I mean he comes in, designs a new ranking system, and leaves literally a month before it'll first be tested for the beta, and a year before it's actually in the wild. Sure he probably worked with key guys who understand it just as well, but still. What good is it to Halo if a lead level designer comes in, works on the game, and then leaves before the next one instead taking what worked and didn't work somewhere else.

Has there been any other high profile losses this year? I honestly can't recall.

Madness

Has there been any other high profile losses this year? I honestly can't recall.

This year, I can't really recall much either. I was more talking about Halo terms. From Halo 4, I can recall like Ryan Payton creative director left before launch, and then after Halo 4 shipped, lead designer and design director Scott Warner left, lead multi-player designer Kynan Pearson, Art Director Kenneth Scott, Corinne Yu engine designer etc. Maybe it's just normal turnover.

I just don't want Halo to be seen as something that people want to cut their teeth on and then move on. That they join 343 not so that they can join Naughty Dog or Visceral later, but because they are ACTUAL fans of Halo and want to make great Halo games and move forward with the series.

This year, I can't really recall much either. I was more talking about Halo terms. From Halo 4, I can recall like Ryan Payton creative director left before launch, and then after Halo 4 shipped, lead designer and design director Scott Warner left, lead multi-player designer Kynan Pearson, Art Director Kenneth Scott, Corinne Yu engine designer etc. Maybe it's just normal turnover.

I just don't want Halo to be seen as something that people want to cut their teeth on and then move on. That they join 343 not so that they can join Naughty Dog or Visceral later, but because they are ACTUAL fans of Halo and want to make great Halo games and move forward with the series.

I know bottom line Corinne Yu was a huge loss.

I forgot about all those positions. And I agree, I'd rather some of the team stick around for the long haul instead of treating it as a stepping stone for bigger studios.
Hire me, 343! Even if my degree is in Strat Comm and Professional Writing! :p

CliQ

The CE playlist with the updated hit registration is basically my dream. Can't believe this shit works so well. It's happening!

Nowise10

The CE playlist with the updated hit registration is basically my dream. Can't believe this shit works so well. It's happening!

It's taken me over 5 minutes to find a match each time I've searched, and then one of the games I played it was a 1v3 when it matched us.

When it does work, it is pretty fun though. 3v3 works well on some maps, and 2v2 works better on others. Its tough to balance that out, though.

It seems that Is the case.

Booshka

So I am hearing rumblings from some of the old pro's and OG Halo players that CE in MCC has more generous hitboxes than the original game. This is probably a necessary concession for online play, but what do some of you experienced CE players think?

May have lowered the shooting skill gap slightly for the sake of a more consistent online experience.

Projectile Utility Weapon

Instead of simply putting your reticle on target and pulling the trigger, the distance to the target and the direction the target is moving in must be taken into account. Because you are often aiming off to the side of your target, auto aim must be kept to a minimum or it will actively work against a player trying to place his reticle in front of a moving enemy. Strafing is more effective against a projectile utility weapon, increasing the difference between the minimum and average killtimes, thus widening the aiming skillgap.

Woorloog

Banned
So I am hearing rumblings from some of the old pro's and OG Halo players that CE in MCC has more generous hitboxes than the original game. This is probably a necessary concession for online play, but what do some of you experienced CE players think?

May have lowered the shooting skill gap slightly for the sake of a more consistent online experience.

I wonder if that's an effect of the PC version being used? It might have had bigger hitboxes to compensate for the netcode being for 56kbit modems?

Blueblur1

All of those people were industry veterans when they joined 343. I don't think 343 has hired many inexperienced folks. But then it would be hard to know.

lmfao good CLIPS, especially this one

You know, I was thinking I would hear johns from old school players if they get donged by new people. Not to say that's what's happening here since I haven't played more than a few games, but it seemed fine to me. Competition is FIERCE these days and once more people learn CE, that playlist will be full of players out for blood.

Is this type of change feasible anyway? Who knows, but maybe 343 will comment on this.

CliQ

There probably is a more generous hit box but if it makes my gun work I'll take it.

There's an issue with the bullet magnetism right now that needs to be addressed.

lmfao good CLIPS, especially this one

You know, I was thinking I would hear johns from old school players if they get donged by new people. Not to say that's what's happening here since I haven't played more than a few games, but it seemed fine to me. Competition is FIERCE these days and once more people learn CE, that playlist will be full of players out for blood.

Is this type of change feasible anyway? Who knows, but maybe 343 will comment on this.

Surely some wiggle and tweaking room is expected with CE going online? I imagine CE netcode/gunplay will be in a state of flux again as dedis become more prevalent over P2P in the future too.

FyreWulff, what says youuuu on this? Could they have increased the hitboxes to compensate or is something else magical going on here?

Anyone have the signal to call him?

If CE does have a bigger hitbox to compensate...I am honestly quite ok with this for online play, it made CE into basically the greatest playing game in this collection in matchmaking

I actually think H2A isnt consistent enough for me to consider it better than Halo 3, they are about equal for different reasons for me in this collection in online play.

Online ranking (based on matchmaking in this, not in their original games) HCE > H2C > H4 > H2A=H3

I would play them all though. Halo 3 would be above Halo 4 in their original respective games and H2A would be just under H2C if the netcode was solid

Nowise10

I'm certain none of you guys actually even like Halo. Each time I come on its a different Halo that is trash.

I'd like to now claim that Halo 3 is the best Halo in my opinion. Balance, skill, design, sound. Everything is prime in that game.

I'm certain none of you guys actually even like Halo. Each time I come on its a different Halo that is trash.

I'd like to now claim that Halo 3 is the best Halo in my opinion. Balance, skill, design, sound. Everything is prime in that game.

What are opinions of individual people.

Like for instance, no Halo 3 is not prime. You are welcome to have that opinion however!

Madness

For me, the collection has been inconsistent. It largely depends on teams as well. I'd say Halo 3 and Halo CE have played the best so far. Maybe that's because I had the right teams at the right time? I will say I consider Halo 2 Classic to be the worst. Poor teams, something just feels off. Halo 2 Anniversary plays well. Just needs more maps. Tired of Stonetown, Lockdown especially.

I don't know if it's the netcode, the people I keep getting teamed with, or the fact that I'm so hardwired to COD-era shooters, but I REALLY suck at Halo. I used to hold my own Halo 3 era, but now? I get stomped on. It's... depressing....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom