• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

Man, just had an amazing big team battle match in Halo 2 Classic Zanzibar. Was close all the way to the end. Had a ridiculous triple kill I wanted to record. I thought I could go back and view them in theater, but most of the games that are stored there are like random films from December 8th or December 12th, or 15th. Do they not store like the last 25 matches anymore or what? None of the matches from today were there.

Mix

CE > H4 > H2/H2A/H3

Nicee, good stuff. How's CE feeling for you?

I'm loving it, and it's weird how it's making me feel, and I'm sure I'm asking for flack on this one, but Halo CE has me super excited for Halo 5. Not because I think they'll play the same
as they shouldn't IMO
but something about the nostalgia of discovery and Halo being so new back then, I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

Not gonna lie, this makes me want to explore how complicated it would be to bring Halo CE style gameplay into the present and introduce it into a new game series that focuses on it being true to that rather than evolving after each title. Has my mind running.

-Ryn

Banned
iboyMlxiFsI5qO.png
I'd be interested in that link if you don't mind. Looks like it could be a cool poster. Nice job dude.

Man, just had an amazing big team battle match in Halo 2 Classic Zanzibar. Was close all the way to the end. Had a ridiculous triple kill I wanted to record. I thought I could go back and view them in theater, but most of the games that are stored there are like random films from December 8th or December 12th, or 15th. Do they not store like the last 25 matches anymore or what? None of the matches from today were there.
Halo 2 Classic doesn't have theater does it?
Or are you referring to the One's theater? Either way it could be a glitch.

lol that was really good

I'm loving it, and it's weird how it's making me feel, and I'm sure I'm asking for flack on this one, but Halo CE has me super excited for Halo 5. Not because I think they'll play the same
as they shouldn't IMO
but something about the nostalgia of discovery and Halo being so new back then, I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

Not gonna lie, this makes me want to explore how complicated it would be to bring Halo CE style gameplay into the present and introduce it into a new game series that focuses on it being true to that rather than evolving after each title. Has my mind running.
Not many games really give me that feeling of discovery anymore and it saddens me. I want adventure and something new to feel and play. Maybe I just haven't played many games in the past year but the only ones that I can think of in recent memory that gave me that feeling were the Souls games, FTL, and Shovel Knight. Though those last 2 might have been a different kind of discovery.

I'm really pumped for the beta.

Speaking of which I got a new job so I might be able to get a One in time after all.

as they shouldn't IMO

Welcome, bruduh. Embrace it.

Combat Evolved 2

darthbob

So, it's basically become a tradition that I give my parents canvas art for the house (like, for wall decoration) every year, and for obvious reasons most of it is more than a little halo-inspired. The last ones I posted here were from like two years ago, but the bottom line is that they were hand-painted and as a result pretty shit because I can't paint. This year I decided to up the ante a bit and get actual art done digitally and then have it printed on canvas, and I just picked it up not too long ago:

iboyMlxiFsI5qO.png

I'm calling this one The Delicate Art of Combat Control. If anyone wants the actual source image I can provide it.

Looks like a breadboard. Nice job.

Yeah, I'm putting myself on the Halo 3 boat. I have the most fun in that one.

Playing BtB on Sandtrap goofing with the elephants and vehicles smashing over the place then mixing it up with close BR duels cracked the most grins from me.
BtB was nailed in Halo 3, it is almost invariably the funnest. Considering other people, voice chat wise with strangers, people actually talk and seem to enjoy themselves too. Less quitting and more shenanigans.

You can jot that one down Frankie.

For me, the collection has been inconsistent. It largely depends on teams as well. I'd say Halo 3 and Halo CE have played the best so far. Maybe that's because I had the right teams at the right time? I will say I consider Halo 2 Classic to be the worst. Poor teams, something just feels off. Halo 2 Anniversary plays well. Just needs more maps. Tired of Stonetown, Lockdown especially.

Exactly how I feel thus far. Funny because CE and 3 were always my favourite Halo's and playing all of them side by side absolutely confirms those preferences for me. Projectile weaponry makes for much more interesting gunplay; H5 looks all hitscan on the weapons that matter and that's disappointing.

As for H2A, I find it very enjoyable, smoothest game in the collection for obvious reasons and would like to see a few more maps for it but my friend commented the other day that he's falling asleep while BRing it's so easy and I can't say I disagree. High levels of aim assist and magnetism on top of the hitscan make for quite shallow gunplay.

JDHarbs

I think my eyes are going, because in H2A I can barely see the enemy team.

So much so, that I refuse to play on those maps.
So glad I'm not the only one. The lighting is just way too intense in some areas and practically non-existent in others. Everything is so clear and easy to distinguish in the older games, but H2A (campaign included) there are definitely issues.

This game, fuck me parties still get shitted up when you back out of matchmaking. I'm trying to remain civil but this long after launch is just taking the piss at this point.

Do you want people to play this game together?

How about dedis? No official word at all since launch? Come on, not even an update about why they don't work or why the Xbox Australia says MCC has dedis, just days ago in fact. I have to call bullshit, completely.

This game, fuck me parties still get shitted up when you back out of matchmaking. I'm trying to remain civil but this long after launch is just taking the piss at this point.

Do you want people to play this game together?

How about dedis? No official word at all since launch? Come on, not even an update about why they don't work or why the Xbox Australia says MCC has dedis, just days ago in fact. I have to call bullshit, completely.
Game has dedis, matter is they pulled the plug on this cause the game is broken as heck, they'll be using p2p as a fall back till the game properly works. lol

This fucking game man, they better extend the beta or have a BTB beta cause I'm sure as hell I'm not spending money on such an abomination of a game.

Game has dedis, matter is they pulled the plug on this cause the game is broken as heck, they'll be using p2p as a fall back till the game properly works. lol

This fucking game man, they better extend the beta or have a BTB beta cause I'm sure as hell I'm not spending money on such an abonmnation of a game.

I'm kinda more upset that this great opportunity for Halo continues to go downhill or seesaw to and fro instead of improving. Hopefully Guardians beta on dedis truly brings what I thought MCC would do:

1. Great Aussie dedis.
2. Return population of casual and hardcore alike.
3. Entice newer players.
4. Update coop to async or dedis so good you don't perceive input latency.

Cow

I'm certain none of you guys actually even like Halo. Each time I come on its a different Halo that is trash.

I'd like to now claim that Halo 3 is the best Halo in my opinion. Balance, skill, design, sound. Everything is prime in that game.

I'm with you on this one. Halo 3 nailed it. Before mcc my order would've been h2>h3>h1>h4. Now it's definitely h3>h1>h2>h4.

Halo 2 has not aged well, I never realised how much aim assist it has, find it so easy, bland and boring. Halo 3 and halo 1 I have so much fun playing because you actually have interesting encounters.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Someone said projectile-based weapons widen the skill gap, well that depends on whether the projectile weapon is hitscan or not and whether it's got a consistency to its trajectory.

The Halo 3 BR has a spread, it's completely random every shot you take. The first bullet is basically a straight line shot, the second is off the path a bit and the third is the most innaccurate, all intentionally designed this way. Since each bullet counts as its own packet in Halo 3, it's very difficult to say that someone has skill with a BR when there is zero consistency with the weapon.

In a game like Halo 2, the BR isn't difficult to shoot because there's massive auto-aim (the bullets bend toward the player model) and the sticky aim is massive, so you really just have to point and shoot, the game takes care of the rest, but in my opinion, I'll take that consistency over Halo 3 any day.

If a gun is going to be non-hitscan, then the bullets/projectiles need to be consistent and shoot in a straight line. This way the player aiming at a moving target is forced to adjust their aim, lead, etc.

No amount of good aim is going to make someone be consistent with Halo 3's BR. It's still a slot machine weapon.

I'm kinda more upset that this great opportunity for Halo continues to go downhill or seesaw to and fro instead of improving. Hopefully Guardians beta on dedis truly brings what I thought MCC would do:

You could take this sentence and replace "Guardians Beta" with [Current Halo title +1] and MCC with [current Halo title] and apply it to this franchise at any point in the last 7 years (some would say ten, I'm sure). Never stop grasping for that dragons tail.

They really ought to make an official statement on the conspicuous absence of the dedicated servers though. One of the key distinguishing and headline features of the collection, an enticement to purchase, and no word of it outside of a tweet or a forum post by Frank.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Last night was amazing, all I played was the Halo CE playlist. It was glorious. Only map I hate is Rat Race...I despise that map. The flow of it is just boring in my opinion.

Impala26

Last night was amazing, all I played was the Halo CE playlist. It was glorious. Only map I hate is Rat Race...I despise that map. The flow of it is just boring in my opinion.

I ended up on a 2v2 on Rat Race last nice. Game barely ended before time expired. Got donged on early because it took me a while to get back into the flow of it and by the time I finally did, we were down 10-15 points. All I say is, don't neglect the teleporters--I got two different double kills from flanking through them. Shooting the powerups down from above is an awesome tactic too.

Still, Rat Race is one of those maps that plays better with 4v4 I think.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I ended up on a 2v2 on Rat Race last nice. Game barely ended before time expired. Got donged on early because it took me a while to get back into the flow of it and by the time I finally did, we were down 10-15 points. All I say is, don't neglect the teleporters--I got two different double kills from flanking through them. Shooting the powerups down from above is an awesome tactic too.

Still, Rat Race is one of those maps that plays better with 4v4 I think.

That was probably my issue, not using the teleporters enough (I dont know the map very well, rarely played it when I lanned HCE) and that it was 2v2.

Seemed too big.

I think my eyes are going, because in H2A I can barely see the enemy team.

So much so, that I refuse to play on those maps.
So glad I'm not the only one. The lighting is just way too intense in some areas and practically non-existent in others. Everything is so clear and easy to distinguish in the older games, but H2A (campaign included) there are definitely issues.
Not you, I've had problems seeing blue team on lockout and olive Spartans on stone town.
yes yes and yes. i wanted to chime in on this too. I can't stand playing on the H2A maps, and its entirely due to the insanely intense light filter on each map. I can't see players from distance. Feels like I'm squinting all the time. Such a horrible design decision, especially considering most people on gaf called it out as soon as videos of the maps were shown.

Mdot

Is there a reason behind the 3v3, 6 player max in the CE playlist? It fits well for some levels, but seems like a weird decision to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom