• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadNames

Banned
Helioskrill would be so much cooler if it didn't have that bulb at the top. Makes it look hella goofy.

Edit: also is juices still around?

TheOddOne

J3Yzw.gif

Madness

I wouldn't mind a preview program invite either. Probably too late for the Halo 5 beta, but I loved testing out the new dashboards and updates for Xbox 360, would like to do the same for Xbox one moving forward.

RowdyReverb

ADS is change for the sake of change. Hating ADS is hating change for the sake of hating change.

Think about it for a minute- what would effect would cosmetic ADS actually have on the game? It's already been confirmed that Smart Scope is functionally the same as scoping in previous Halo games (He clearly gets descoped in that Light Rifle gif, btw). You lose a small amount of vertical peripheral vision, yes, but what does that actually do to change the gameplay?
The biggest deal is that automatic weapons now have scope and will necessarily get a bit of an accuracy buff when using it, but I seriously doubt 343i would balance the weapons such that AR>BR at mid-range. All the changes to Halo's sandbox need to be looked at in the context of the full sandbox. Yes, it's possible that the H5 AR may be the strongest AR in the Halo series because of smart scope, but this doesn't actually tell us anything about H5's weapon balance.
Sorry to rant, it's just that I have yet to see an argument as to why this stylistic change is inherently bad other than because it's different and because it's similar to all the other modern FPS titles, and it's a silly topic that's been overdone. I think that Smart Scope deserves the benefit of the doubt until we've tried it in Halo 5.

Omni

Wait so preview codes haven't been sent yet, right?

I'm in the preview. Never really done anything though. I did get that Evolve Alpha code a little while back so hopefully I'll get this one

DeadNames

Banned
ADS is change for the sake of change. Hating ADS is hating change for the sake of hating change.

Think about it for a minute- what would effect would cosmetic ADS actually have on the game? It's already been confirmed that Smart Scope is functionally the same as scoping in previous Halo games (He clearly gets descoped in that Light Rifle gif, btw). You lose a small amount of vertical peripheral vision, yes, but what does that actually do to change the gameplay?
The biggest deal is that automatic weapons now have scope and will necessarily get a bit of an accuracy buff when using it, but I seriously doubt 343i would balance the weapons such that AR>BR at mid-range. All the changes to Halo's sandbox need to be looked at in the context of the full sandbox. Yes, it's possible that the H5 AR may be the strongest AR in the Halo series because of smart scope, but this doesn't actually tell us anything about H5's weapon balance.
Sorry to rant, it's just that I have yet to see an argument as to why this stylistic change is inherently bad other than because it's different and because it's similar to all the other modern FPS titles, and it's a silly topic that's been overdone. I think that Smart Scope deserves the benefit of the doubt until we've tried it in Halo 5.

It's really distracting. The LR scope looks neat in all, but I can see it getting old really fast, same with the DMR. It's so damn big.

Ya know, I've gotta say it. There's only 1 thing in Halo 5 that really makes me just say "wow, that's bullshit" and it's the ground pound. There's no doubt that ground pound will get nerfed, but the rest actually looks pretty damn fun. All the other problems stem from simply aesthetic/sound things. (Chatter, everything being too high pitched, announcer on speed, etc).

Halitosisalysischamber Armor stays winning

Fun fact: according to the info they released along with the renders, the Helioskrill armor was designed by a female Elite, designed to prove her worth from a technical and mechanical standpoint during arena Infinity simulation play. It was mentioned and dropped pretty nonchalantly, but I have to wonder if we might actually have an engineer-savvy female Elite as one of the important supplementary characters in Guardians.

I can dig it.

willow ve

Light Rifle ADS is why we can't have nice things.

Who in their right mind approved that?

----
One thing I would really like to see is the player model in 3rd person when these ADS sights are put in place. Can you imagine standing straight up and putting the gun directly in the center of your face? Who would ever fire like that?
total immersion

Omni

Just saw the trailer

Oh my god that dudebro shit. I hope that isn't representative of the actual game. I don't think I've ever cringed so hard at a trailer before. Who the hell are they targeting?

Oh man, I missed all the code begging while I was at work. :[ Sadness of the soul.... Hope to get some good impressions from you folks, though.

LR scope is... different. Certainly is alien. All depends on how it plays.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just saw the trailer

Oh my god that dudebro shit. I hope that isn't representative of the actual game. I don't think I've ever cringed so hard at a trailer before. Who the hell are they targeting?

People with a sense of humor who recognize it's Will Arnett mocking dudebro shit?

RowdyReverb

It's really distracting. The LR scope looks neat in all, but I can see it getting old really fast, same with the DMR. It's so damn big.

Ya know, I've gotta say it. There's only 1 thing in Halo 5 that really makes me just say "wow, that's bullshit" and it's the ground pound. There's no doubt that ground pound will get nerfed, but the rest actually looks pretty damn fun. All the other problems stem from simply aesthetic/sound things. (Chatter, everything being too high pitched, announcer on speed, etc).

My same argument about looking at the context of the sandbox applies to ground pound. Remember, spartans are highly mobile now. With thruster and sprint combined with a motion tracker that displays enemy player relative elevation, ground pound should be relatively easy to dodge by a skillful player. Because of the recovery time after performing a ground pound, the defending player should be able to win the encounter if they dodge.

I understand that people are concerned that ground pound is OP because the trailers make it look that way, but the thing is, GP, like animated assassinations, is clearly meant to be montage fodder, so it is no surprise that trailers and game clips are packed with it. The trailer is to get people excited about all the cool stuff they can do in H5, so they aren't going to show the player fucking up a GP and getting killed.

Adding something fucking useless and pointless change for the sake of a change is FAR, FAR worse than hating that fucking change. It is not Halo.
This is the exact same unconvincing argument I keep seeing. Why does something have to "be Halo" to be in a sequel to Halo? Dual-wielding, XBL, regenerating health, and BRs weren't Halo either, but didn't ruin the franchise.

Any Aussies in on the early beta wanna party up? GT same as GAF name. Beta looks great, can't wait.

Now I feel like a dick for bitching out about MCC yesterday :(

BigShow36

Did it look like when he was in the light rifle mech the player was moving slower?

My same argument about looking at the context of the sandbox applies to ground pound. Remember, spartans are highly mobile now. With thruster and sprint combined with a motion tracker that displays enemy player relative elevation, ground pound should be relatively easy to dodge by a skillful player.

If you're playing with radar on, you've already lost.

Cow

Any Aussies in on the early beta wanna party up? GT same as GAF name. Beta looks great, can't wait.

Now I feel like a dick for bitching out about MCC yesterday :(
Yeah we do! GT
PremiumTrout(

Edit: I misread this as Aussies want to be in on the preview too... I'm not in ha

woodland

If anyone has an invite to the dashboard preview that'd be great. Don't really mind if I get the beta - away this weekend and will be busy with christmas stuff after I get home - but I'd love to get into the dashboard preview and see what MS is cooking up.

Thanks^^

P.S. Enjoy the beta whoever got it. Sprint and ADS isn't my cup of tea but I'm interested in trying it at the end of December and Jan.

Just saw the trailer

Probably a split between "people with a sense of humor," "dudebros who don't realize they're being made fun of" and "people who've bitched about Halo losing its sense of humor."

EDIT: Might be some overlap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom