• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rev3rb

Hook up some codes if you can Frank. I can't stand having to wait 10 more days knowing thousands are going to be playing over the next two days.

readImage

Nowise10

He wasn't booted from Bungie til after H5 production was underway. He does work for Microsoft Game Studios now, but not 343i
yet. Joseph Staten is in a similar situation

If he returns to the series, it'd be for Halo 6+

Pretty sure he works for himself now. Nothing has been said about him joining Microsoft, or any other place.

Impala26

Yeah, IIRC he did the good songs.

Davidge was okay, but certainly not worthy of Halo. All the songs were too samey. I just hope the monks return in full.

Why didn't 343 pick up Marty? Wasn't he fired from Bungie?

Disagree. While he certainly didn't match Marty's OSTs, it was certainly good in its own right. I actually thinked it worked quite thematically with Halo 4 introducing a whole slew of new Forerunner places, tech, and FINALLY actual Forerunners. Many of the issues it had, in my opinion, was poor sound mixing. During the two main scenes featuring the Didact, the music was tuned WAY too softly. Revival and Nemesis are actually rather imposing bombastic pieces, but they weren't played nearly loud enough to convey this to the player (Think about how loud the Imperial March theme is played during the Star Wars movies).

Plus, these tracks are simply good on their own:

Awakening
Arrival

Awakening was actually a finished demo piece that sadly never actually made it into the game.

Awakening was actually a finished demo piece that sadly never actually made it into the game.

It's in Spartan Ops and like 5 seconds of it is in the cutscene at the end of Shutdown when chief is jumping onto the Lich :)

But I'm not crazy about either of those two tracks anyway. The best thing Davidge did was Green and Blue in my opinion.

That's a lot of people, and realistically, who counts? One time posters in the OT?

I mean, it would be awesome to get a code, but that many freebies for one sub-community is unrealistic.

Look, dude, they should be rewarding us for being adamant advocates of the One True Sandbox and they should be thanking us for disparaging every game they've ever made. Unless I get a boatload of free shit, all Halo 2 maps remastered for Anniversary, Halo 5, 6, and 7: Repair Your Janus for free, 343 will continue to be the worst company ever. A vocal minority of like twelve people are definitely who you should market your product to and not the teeming hordes of dudebros and twelve-year-olds that have singlehandedly helped rake the Halo franchise in billions! It's just bad business.

When I read a pro-sprint argument, I often think to myself "this person just doesn't understand all of sprint's ramifications on gameplay and map design". I started jotting things down that sprint affects and the secondary effects it has on the balance between mechanics/map design.

Average map size
Average engagement distance
Average engagement duration
Minimum engagement duration
Maximum effective engagement distance
Movement speed
Average distance between cover
Jump height
Ratio of maps' horizontal size to vertical size
Effectiveness of gun
Effectiveness of grenade
Effectiveness of melee

Relationship between Average Map Size and Average Engagement Distance

Relationship between Average Map Size and Maximum Effective Engagement Distance

Relationship between Average Engagement Duration and Minimum Engagement Duration

Relationship between Movement Speed and Average Distance Between Cover

Relationship between Movement Speed and Jump Height

Relationship between Movement Speed and Horizontal Map Size

Relationship between Jump Height and Vertical Map Size

Relationship between the ratio of Horizontal Map Size to Vertical Map Size and the ratio of Movement Speed to Jump Height

Relationship between the Effectiveness of Gun, the Effectiveness of Grenade, and the Effectiveness of Melee

For example, I could say "Increasing Movement Speed leads to an increase in Horizontal Map Size (Halo 4 Maps). Increasing Horizontal Map Size leads to an increase in the Average Engagement Distance. Increasing the Average Engagement Distance leads to an increase in the Maximum Effective Engagement Distance (DMR and Light Rifle). Increasing the Maximum Effective Engagement Distance reduces the Effectiveness of Grenade and the Effectiveness of Melee. Seeing as how Gun was already the most powerful side of the golden triangle, increasing the Effectiveness of Gun is not ideal for the deepest Halo gameplay."

DJ Gunner

#priorities

Small rant incoming-

If this topic is any reflection of the greater gaming population then it's no wonder companies feel like they can get away with releasing something that barely works. We're five weeks since MCC release and everyone's on the H5 hype train. "HOLY SHIT MCC IS BRO-HEYYYYY, H5 BETA CODES!!!!!" Because of the MCC debacle I don't give two shits about H5 or the beta and I'm honestly surprised that so many who bought MCC do. Apparently people don't care that they spent sixty bucks (and in some cases bought consoles) to play a game that still doesn't work right from the same studio that is now trying to whip us into a frenzy for their next product.

/endrant

Impala26

It's in Spartan Ops and like 5 seconds of it is in the cutscene at the end of Shutdown when chief is jumping onto the Lich :)

But I'm not crazy about either of those two tracks anyway. The best thing Davidge did was Green and Blue in my opinion.

Ah good catch with that. Arrival is one of my favorites of the OST. It along with 117 (by Jinnouchi) are arguably the most O'Donnell-esque tracks of the entire OST with the strong heroic percussions and brass.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
"If you ask for codes again I'm going to break your door down and slap you across the face."
- Frankie "Stinkles" O'Connor

Mdot

Small rant incoming-

If this topic is any reflection of the greater gaming population then it's no wonder companies feel like they can get away with releasing something that barely works. We're five weeks since MCC release and everyone's on the H5 hype train. "HOLY SHIT MCC IS BRO-HEYYYYY, H5 BETA CODES!!!!!" Because of the MCC debacle I don't give two shits about H5 or the beta and I'm honestly surprised that so many who bought MCC do. Apparently people don't care that they spent sixty bucks (and in some cases bought consoles) to play a game that still doesn't work right from the same studio that is now trying to whip us into a frenzy for their next product.

/endrant

I was agreeing with you.

Mdot

I know. I just had to get that out. :]

I played a ton last night and still the biggest issue, for me personally, is lagging like hell on H2A maps. I've only noticed it on them. Always results in a black screen for like 5 seconds. Knock on wood, mostly everything else was working well. Matchmaking still takes longer than it should, which I think should be the next thing addressed along with dedis.

-Ryn

Banned
So when's dat beta gonna drop gents?

When I read a pro-sprint argument, I often think to myself "this person just doesn't understand all of sprint's ramifications on gameplay and map design". I started jotting things down that sprint affects and the secondary effects it has on the balance between mechanics/map design.
Nice list dude.

Though I don't think the fact that all of those things are affected is necessarily a bad thing. That's not to say all of them are good though. I'll make a more detailed response later on when I'm not on my phone and makin' breakfast burritos.

For the record I have thought about these things before :p

Because of the MCC debacle I don't give two shits about H5 or the beta and I'm honestly surprised that so many who bought MCC do. Apparently people don't care that they spent sixty bucks (and in some cases bought consoles) to play a game that still doesn't work right from the same studio that is now trying to whip us into a frenzy for their next product.
I don't find it all that surprising that people are excited to play new content that will probably work perfectly fine. Though I do get the frustration. The team working on fixing the MCC and the team working on the beta are 2 separate things so it's still getting worked on and it WILL be fixed eventually if that's any consolation.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Small rant incoming-

/endrant

It's a perfectly fair rant, but allow me to add some context:

1. We're still fixing MCC. There will be continual updates on big and small items.
2. MCC is finally in a usable state for the vast majority of users. If you're still unable to matchmake, we'd VERY much like to see your gamertag and use it to figure out some weird edge cases.
3. Some of the things that are still wrong with MCC are server side/hopper issues we'll be addressing continually as other tech fixes take effect.
4. The Halo 5 team is not the same team as the MCC team. They are tasked with making H5. They are not drawing resources from the same pool. Life must go on.
5. The Beta was always due in Dec. We have to stick to that schedule because that's how production has to work. there are lots of dependencies.

6. The eary access is a limited and wonky version of the beta. they are getting a fraction of the content and will have to endure a lot of server side dickery. They are testing it at scale so that MCC purchasers (who they are largely a subset of) will enjoy a much tighter and FAR more complete experience.

Mdot

2. MCC is finally in a usable state for the vast majority of users. If you're still unable to matchmake, we'd VERY much like to see your gamertag and use it to figure out some weird edge cases.

Frank, can you take a look at mine (Mdot twenty3): as I noted above, I sometimes have terrible lag in H2A matches. Doesn't seem to happen on any other maps from CE, original 2, 3, 4. Figure that might help if others are experiencing similar issues.

Welfare

6. The eary access is a limited and wonky version of the beta. they are getting a fraction of the content and will have to endure a lot of server side dickery. They are testing it at scale so that MCC purchasers (who they are largely a subset of) will enjoy a much tighter and FAR more complete experience.

Exactly.

And I still can't believe I get to play the Halo 5 beta today.

Impala26

It's a perfectly fair rant, but allow me to add some context:

1. We're still fixing MCC. There will be continual updates on big and small items.
2. MCC is finally in a usable state for the vast majority of users. If you're still unable to matchmake, we'd VERY much like to see your gamertag and use it to figure out some weird edge cases.3. Some of the things that are still wrong with MCC are server side/hopper issues we'll be addressing continually as other tech fixes take effect.
4. The Halo 5 team is not the same team as the MCC team. They are tasked with making H5. They are not drawing resources from the same pool. Life must go on.
5. The Beta was always due in Dec. We have to stick to that schedule because that's how production has to work. there are lots of dependencies.

Frankie, you should post this in the MCC OT thread to help allay some concerns. There are folks who occasionally pop in there to say that their matchmaking doesn't work at all. Seems like they're typically cases from OUTSIDE the US from what I can tell

wwm0nkey

My MM wasn't working yesterday until I power cycled my Xbox. Was also hard to find matches in TitanFall and took ages to connect to GTA Online, only to be put in a lobby by myself

Its in a usable state? I have to wait 15 minutes to get into a game of CE and longer in the other hoppers.

And this is after all of the patches.

Maybe you guys should have pushed the MCC back to make sure the issues were resolved before a beta for the game we know you are all focusing on.

Welfare

Its in a usable state? I have to wait 15 minutes to get into a game of CE and longer in the other hoppers.

And this is after all of the patches.

Maybe you guys should have pushed the MCC back to make sure the issues were resolved before a beta for the game we know you are all focusing on.

That could just be due to low pop in the CE playlist.

Frankie you need to tell the MCC team that a population counter is basically needed now for this game. People complaining about long search times could also be affected by the pop of certain playlists. We need the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom