• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine Automatic weapons are that powerful because pro team is not using them in the first place and the other test teams like to get some kills sometimes.

RdN

I played the first 10 matches and got ranked into Onyx III, which is pretty good.

TrueSkill reallly seems to work, since now I'm only getting matched with other Onyx ranked players and having a really good challenge.

Caja 117

I havent been keeping up with the impressions for Halo 5, but my question is, How is mart scope, can we say it feels the same as Zoomed in in previous Halo? and do you have to hold the button to keep the smart scope? or is tap like previous Halo?

I havent been keeping up with the impressions for Halo 5, but my question is, How is mart scope, can we say it feels the same as Zoomed in in previous Halo? and do you have to hold the button to keep the smart scope? or is tap like previous Halo?

It feels like zoom in past Halo games, just every gun has some sort of zoom/scope. I use bumper jumper and it is still click in to zoom with the RS like previous games.

Caja 117

It feels like zoom in past Halo games, just every gun has some sort of zoom/scope. I use bumper jumper and it is still click in to zoom with the RS like previous games.

Ok, I really dont have a problem against Zoom Automatics weapon as long as Precision Weapons still dominate on the mid range level.

CyReN

GG Zoojoo, Elzar, etc from yesterday.

and here's some personal thoughts from me:

I've played about 2-3 hours so far (15 games) today, just wanted to give my intial opinions. It may change latter on but the things I list are pretty much set in stone for me as I continue to play.

Sprint in Halo 5 - It has to go, numerous times while playing I honestly forgot it was there. The maps are a nice size that I can hoenstly go without it. Even with it, I feel it's still to easy to get away with it + thruster. I gave it an honest shot but we can't afford a 3rd game with it. It isn't Halo.

Maps - Only played Empire and Truth, both seem like good maps. Halo 4 didn't have the best maps, but it seems 343i stepping up their game in this department.

AR/Pistol Start & Weapons - I've never really been a AR fan for starting weapons, but I'm glad to see it really buffed up now. Didn't feel "powerless" when spawning. Pistol also has a strong kick, which is nice to use too when alternating in games until I pick up the DMR/BR.

Weapons On Map - The power-ups have a nice indicator to them, along with the Spartan Chatter calling them out when they spawn. This is excellent for new comers or casuals. The only part I'm having trouble is was finding other weapons like the DMR or BR on maps. The weapons blend in way too much. I'd like something similar to Halo 2: Anniversary so it's easy to spot.

Prophet Bane - Cool to see new weapons coming to Halo, but this thing is literally a solar flare to my face when playing. I'm not sure if it's on purpose but I had to backpack it to get around so I could see everything around me. Please reduce the flare on it.

Aim Down Sights/Smart Scope - I don't like the ViDoc playing it off like it's been there the entire time, seems like some campaign shoe-in reason. Just bring back the classic scope, I didn't enjoy it at all. It was incredibly hard to aim at times too (I'm not one to struggle there). It didn't feel like Halo at all.

Descoping - Thank you for bringing this back, I missed it so much.

Thruster - I had to remember to use it in games, pretty cool ability to get around in fights. Would prefer to keep this instead of Sprint if I had to pick.

Clamber - Actually liked this a lot more than I thought I would. Adds another "meta' to the game in my opinion. Could see some crazy stats with it from more skilled players.

------

That's pretty much it so far, I'll keep playing all weekend long and add more later if I notice anything crazy. The game has potential to be a lot better than Reach and 4. Have to see more to even compare with the Big 3.

I'm fairly convinced that the charge "ability" is actually in there to subtly nerf sprinting into a double beat down.

It does as much damage as a normal melee, but leaves you vulnerable and disorientated for a little bit after.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Weapons On Map - The power-ups have a nice indicator to them, along with the Spartan Chatter calling them out when they spawn. This is excellent for new comers or casuals. The only part I'm having trouble is was finding other weapons like the DMR or BR on maps. The weapons blend in way too much. I'd like something similar to Halo 2: Anniversary so it's easy to spot.

definitely agree on weapon pick up visibility. even the indicator that i'm standing on something seems easy to miss.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i really dont like that the instant you die you go into kill cam. sometimes its tough to tell if you trade a kill with someone with how it is now. a slight delay of the switch to allow me to briefly see a bit of post death action would be nice.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Really excited to get back into it today.

With some tweaking (which surely there will be as we're a year from launch), this could really be a great game.

i really dont like that the instant you die you go into kill cam. sometimes its tough to tell if you trade a kill with someone with how it is now. a slight delay of the switch to allow me to briefly see a bit of post death action would be nice.
Is there a toggle for it?

Tawpgun

I'll post my impressions later, but I more or less agree except for ads.

I also think sprint should go, but at this point I don't really care. Game plays better without it but doesn't play terrible with it either.

I really thought I'd hate smart scope but I almost don't notice it. Even on the DMR. Only scope I hate is the sniper because of the animations, or lack thereof, and that blue overlay.

I also think the scope on the AR is super dumb. The smg one can stay, it's like a mini power weapon. BR and DMR got aim assist reduced. No need to give the ar more range. You got the pistol for that

Defect

I think they should remove scope on the AR and increase the spawn time of the smg. Treat it as a power weapon.

Also, except from the pros I haven't seen much groundpound action. It should be removed as a default ability and made into a power up on the map and buffed a little. Make it useful or just get rid of it.

DeadNames

Banned
I'm fairly convinced that the charge "ability" is actually in there to subtly nerf sprinting into a double beat down.

It does as much damage as a normal melee, but leaves you vulnerable and disorientated for a little bit after.

Good for them IMO. Double beatdowns were annoying as fuck in H4/Reach. I'm glad that it's gone.

I personally like the flare of the Prophet's Bane. If it were not there, the sword would even be more overpowered than it is right now.

Agreed again. I feel like it's a weakness for all the other cool stats it provides.

I'm glad people are warming up to Clamber. Even if it's not perfect in terms of not letting you shoot, I was definitely expecting people to enjoy it more than they expected. While it obviously wouldn't work on, say, Prisoner or something, I think it's definitely a step in the right direction as long as the maps are built around it.

I personally like the flare of the Prophet's Bane. If it were not there, the sword would even be more overpowered than it is right now.

I think a better solution would be:

- tone down first-person glare on Bane
- angle the sword lower first-person so you can actually see the helix, doesn't take up as much screen real estate, doesn't look like a bulky energy crab claw
- get rid of that dumbass ADS lunge ability
- retain movement boost and lack of slowdown while being shot, but make sure shields still don't recharge while sprinting
- increase glare in third-person so it's even more apparent players are carrying it
- set runtime maximum to one, highest respawn rate possible (3 mins, honestly 4-5 mins would be preferable)

I think a general rule for "Legendary" power weapons is that they don't exactly get the job done any better than their traditional sister power weapons from a mechanical standpoint - they just offer niche bonuses in the way tac-pacs / sup-ups did, albeit in a more balanced fashion, while also being flashy as hell.

I think weapon power levels should be firmly established and categorized by spawn times. Something to the effect of:

Low-yield utility weapons (AR, Plasma Pistol, etc) - 30 seconds
Precision weapons (Light Rifle, DMR, Carbine) - 45 seconds
Niche pseudo-power weapons (SMG, Needler, Scattershot) - 1 minute
Intimate power weapons (e.g. those intended to take out individual targets, such as the Sniper, Hydra, Beam Rifle) - 2 minutes
Player-versus-the-world power weapons (capable of eliminating multiple targets in a single shot, such as Rocket Launcher or CE Shotgun) - 3 minutes
Legendary Power Weapons (flashy bragging rights reward weapons that mirror standard power weapons, but with subtle added bonuses such as speed boost or stronger melee attacks) - 4 minutes

MouldyK

So guys, do you think that people who never bought the game or they just never played it should be allowed to complain they dont get ODST?

I saw a lot of it on gaming side and I think people just want to complain and feel entitled, but I also think people should still be accepted until the end of the year, so people at Christmas can still get it.

Thoughts?

So guys, do you think that people who never bought the game or they just never played it should be allowed to complain they dont get ODST?

I saw a lot of it on gaming side and I think people just want to complain and feel entitled, but I also think people should still be accepted until the end of the year, so people at Christmas can still get it.

Thoughts?

ODST and Relic should be free to all MCC owners after a month or so of exclusivity.

If anyone still has a code a give I would like to give the beta a whirl. I did not ask previously as I did not expect to be around.

Thoughts?
The date chosen for the limitation is a bit weird to me, because the game still has issues, as 343 admit. Surely the deadline should be when it's commonly accepted to no longer need to be patched?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member

Good read! I'm curious about what kind of meta potential you see in clamber, though. I haven't played the beta so I have no idea myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom