• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramirez

I guess the thing I like most about this beta is that all of the shit that should make it a mess, is barely used in matches. I've connected one shoulder charge, and one ground pound in like 30 games. I love that the shoulder charge doesn't have huge assist on it like the Titan's charge in Destiny.

I don't mind the ADS at all, and think the DMR's scope does a great job of nerfing it's ability to destroy everything. I know I'm in the minority on that, but whatever. I rarely ever use ADS anyways, mostly on the BR, which I don't really care much for in this game for some reason. Would much rather have the DMR and a pistol as my combo.

The AR/SMG are rather ridiculous in power right now. I don't have a problem with them being powerful, but the skill required to get a kill should reflect the difficulty of the other weapons. I think you could do that specifically with the AR by lowering it's clip. The SMG could maybe stay the same if it's only going to be a map pick up.

My biggest complaint is visual clarity. This is something that has been getting worse with every game since Reach introduced the film grain. I think some of it is the Xbox crushing blacks or whatever, because I have a hard time seeing people in H2A and certain maps like Warlock in MCC. You all definitely need to make players more easily identifiable when playing. Stuff like the sword glow really showcases how much visual noise there is, I think.

Oh, and I hate the frequency at which grenades get shot out of your hand, I would rather this not even be possible, as it's not a very fun mechanic, and is pretty much luck based.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I guess the thing I like most about this beta is that all of the shit that should make it a mess, is barely used in matches. I've connected one shoulder charge, and one ground pound in like 30 games. I love that the shoulder charge doesn't have huge assist on it like the Titan's charge in Destiny.

I don't mind the ADS at all, and think the DMR's scope does a great job of nerfing it's ability to destroy everything. I know I'm in the minority on that, but whatever. I rarely ever use ADS anyways, mostly on the BR, which I don't really care much for in this game for some reason. Would much rather have the DMR and a pistol as my combo.

The AR/SMG are rather ridiculous in power right now. I don't have a problem with them being powerful, but the skill required to get a kill should reflect the difficulty of the other weapons. I think you could do that specifically with the AR by lowering it's clip. The SMG could maybe stay the same if it's only going to be a map pick up.

My biggest complaint is visual clarity. This is something that has been getting worse with every game since Reach introduced the film grain. I think some of it is the Xbox crushing blacks or whatever, because I have a hard time seeing people in H2A and certain maps like Warlock in MCC. You all definitely need to make players more easily identifiable when playing. Stuff like the sword glow really showcases how much visual noise there is, I think.

Oh, and I hate the frequency at which grenades get shot out of your hand, I would rather this not even be possible, as it's not a very fun mechanic, and is pretty much luck based.

I totally agree with all this, save for ADS. Not many times where I die and feel like there's a mechanic to blame.

That may change with time but for now, it feels good.

The crushed blacks murder original Halo 2. Battle Rifle looks like it's just black felt taped over the screen.

2 of my biggest issues with Halo 5 right now:

Clamber- Map flow relies too heavily on it. Increase jump height and make holding jump also initiate crouch jump. If you make the jump clamber does not initiate, if you fall short you clamber up. 2 for 1 package essentially. Right now there are far too few non clamber jumps. It's all over the place.

Controls- I can't find a scheme I love. Due to ADS zoom feels like it has input lag on the right stick. It's a weird feeling, I can't quite describe it. Either way, I would love a fishstick alternative that removes melee from right stick and replaces it with crouch.

Otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun.

VinFTW

Well said ram. I agree completely.

Also, Frankie and or anybody else, was relic used in halo 2 mlg days? I'm curious how that would fit into hcs.

Just got matched up against my first 50 in H2A. They also had a 42 and a 38 on their team. Our highest guy was an 18, who went 2 and 11.

I went 9 and 9 with 6 assists, four of which were stolen kills. "Top" guy on our team went 10 and 16.

We lost 50 to 32 or something. Wasn't even a contest.

belushy

Banned
Well said ram. I agree completely.

Also, Frankie and or anybody else, was relic used in halo 2 mlg days? I'm curious how that would fit into hcs.

Well having forge this time around gives us a lot of options, as Frankie said. If HCS decides to do a one bomb or something it would be kinda cool. I think 1 Flag or 1 Bomb Zanzibar was used in h2 MLG before map packs started coming out.

Clamber- Map flow relies too heavily on it. Increase jump height and make holding jump also initiate crouch jump. If you make the jump clamber does not initiate, if you fall short you clamber up. 2 for 1 package essentially. Right now there are far too few non clamber jumps. It's all over the place.

Controls- I can't find a scheme I love. Due to ADS zoom feels like it has input lag on the right stick. It's a weird feeling, I can't quite describe it. Either way, I would love a fishstick alternative that removes melee from right stick and replaces it with crouch.

How'd you end up getting a code?

Fuchsdh

I actually think in general H5 seems to be a little cleaner in terms of visuals compared to Halo 4, but the weapons in particular blend in way too much.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Is skill matching a thing yet? I've had horrendous teammates in most of my games. Really messes with the competitive side of things.

I guess there aren't that many people playing but I dunno.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Frankie please, what is the formula for calculating KDA. Still freaking out over not being able to figure it out.

Right now it's (((Kills + (Assists * 0.3) + Bugs)) - Deaths) / Games Played

There is a known issue where it isn't counting melee kills in the calculation (but you are seeing them displayed in the Kill total on that screen). So basically it will never quite add up correctly when viewed from the Service Record. It's most obvious in your first few games.

We're trying to get this fix in next week, but it's lower priority than some other stuff.

((((Kills / Deaths)^CSR) - (Frankie Magic - Bonbon Rosetta) * ((Heckfu Tears + Spartan Ops Buttons Per Session))) * (CSR - Complaints About CSR * Smartglass Downloads))

This might technically be more accurate. :p

Is skill matching a thing yet? I've had horrendous teammates in most of my games. Really messes with the competitive side of things.

I guess there aren't that many people playing but I dunno.

It's been kind of all over the place for me, but slowly I think I'm starting to get matched more evenly.

Very slowly :p

Part of the problem seems to be that they aren't finding enough people of a given tier, so they're approximating and filling in the gaps with higher and lower skilled players.

I think trigger jumper could surpass bumper jumper in awesomeness.

XMJ1OSp.png

Shame that it doesn't exist.

VinFTW

Honestly thought it was a mistake by the ranking system. In getting owned now.

Btw, this game seems to be more about thrusting than jumping. I might switch the controls from bumper jumper to Halo 4.

Same lol. Got put into semipro. Packed up my Xbox to send it home immediately after. Lmao... I'll wait to get wrecked in the bigger beta.

Also way to go fracas.

ComposerHaloGAF should start having weekly game nights. It's just Jellycrackers, Zoojoo, Menachite and I (with Ghazi and Sai-kun on rotation) running through Composer SLASO until our tracks render.

and then we wait 6 hours before triggering the end cutscene because ian's rig is a fucking commodore 64

I can't seem to find the right sensitivity. I pulled it down to 2 just so I could dong consistently but now with all the crazy movement options im getting juked because of my self induced stiff neck.

I know what you feel. I'm never putting zoom on the left trigger, but it seems to have a slight delay when using the stick that makes it odd.

Only thing they need to do for Recon is switch Sprint and Thrusters. It'd make so much more sense.

RoKKeR

Cross-posting but I dislike the sniper as it is currently.

Something I really don't like right now is the sniper rifle... needs a lot of work. Scope design is horrendous, the bullets just have a weird "feel" and don't always seem to go where you'd want or expect them to based on past Halo games, and the time in-between shots is WAY too long, especially coming off of Halo 2 Anniversary. I hope they tweak it so it's more like the H2A sniper, because right now that's actually one of my biggest complaints.

Computer

Honestly thought it was a mistake by the ranking system. In getting owned now.

Btw, this game seems to be more about thrusting than jumping. I might switch the controls from bumper jumper to Halo 4.

I made the same switch and it plays much better. Bump Jump just not working for this game.

So I like the Halo 5 Beta. Remove ADS and switch back to old style and I think we have a great game. ADS throws me off way too much. DAT horrible DMR scope.

This isn't for the Halo 5 Beta and is a little off topic, but can anyone invite me to the preview program? Watching the Beta has got me excited about early content like this and I would love to be apart of it.

My gamertag is TPF Inferno.

From what I've watched, Halo 5 has some minor flaws, but seems to be more true to Halo than Halo 4.

Defect

That "Theme" on the main menu is really bad. Not sure if that is only for the multiplayer but change it to the monks for both campaign and multi.

DeadNames

Banned
That "Theme" on the main menu is really bad. Not sure if that is only for the multiplayer but change it to the monks for both campaign and multi.

I dunno I like it. It's a helluva lot better than Halo 4's.

I think the monks will return though. They're at the end of every "Sprint" episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom