• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jem0208

Wow, I'm... I'm not sure how to feel about this... :-/

I'd rather them just make automatics as accurate as they are scoped in with possibly a slight nerf to their damage.

I made a post about it on another page but I think I quite like it actually.

Scoping at close range is completely useless. Because of this aiming at close range feels very similar to previous Halos. Scoping is only useful at mid range. I think it's a way of increasing the effective range of the AR etc, without making them OP at close range.

I havent been keeping up with the impressions for Halo 5, but my question is, How is mart scope, can we say it feels the same as Zoomed in in previous Halo? and do you have to hold the button to keep the smart scope? or is tap like previous Halo?
For all the weapons which have traditionally had zoom (BR, DMR) it feels pretty much the same. With weapons that didn't used to have a scope, like the AR and SMG, it feels like the weapons are definitely better when you zoom in since they have reduced spread but they're still good from the hip and descoping pretty much forces you to use these weapons from the hip in most gun fights.

You can tap to zoom.

You honestly think that 240 second weapon respawn times are what Halo needs?

Okay, let me put it this way:

These guidelines assume the player (or team) is of average skill with minor to moderate experience with the learning curve, and has minimal experience playing.
TIER 1
Everything you need for nonlethal, utility-based harassment spawns in 30 seconds.
Everything you need for getting headshots and scoring kills spawns in 45 seconds.
- This is the disconnect where you can realistically score kills or control the map as a team and still have a fighting chance. -

TIER 2
Everything you need for lethal, utility-based harassment spawns in 1 minute.
Everything you need for killing individual enemies in a single shot spawns in 2 minutes.
Everything you need for killing multiple enemies in a single shot spawns in 3 minutes.
- This is the disconnect where you can realistically score killing sprees or control the map as an individual and still have a fighting chance. -

TIER 3
Everything you need for gaining a buff in player traits and/or killing one or more enemies in a single shot spawns in 4 minutes.
- This is the disconnect where you can realistically counter strategies and initiate a pivot to regain having a fighting chance. -

Essentially, Legendary Power Weapons assume the role that Personal Ordnance tried (and failed) to, but in a much more balanced fashion. Ultimately, Legendaries are superfluous for experienced players; they should not offer advantages so substantial they're worth using over their traditional power weapon counterparts. As a rule, Legendaries are always flashy and sacrifice subtlety for enhancement. While still an individual-killing power weapon, and while still flashy to a degree, using the Energy Sword is still a "subtle" tactic for a player that allows them to delicately control map flow in a way starting weapons do not. Legendaries lack this sense of delicacy, instead opting for short windows of time in combat flow that would allow a team or player, down on their luck, to dismantle a lynchpin keeping the enemy team at an advantage. Simply put, the purpose of Legendaries are to give losing players brief chances to brute-force their way back to tying or surpassing the enemy's lead. They are short-term "highs" in map flow, and do not offer the outright control or even consistency experienced players wielding traditional power weapons provide. Naturally, inexperienced players still acquainting themselves with the sandbox will be "legendary addicts," cruising from high to high searching for the next window of opportunity they can use to get back on their feet. As players level out on the skill curve, Legendaries should become more and more irrelevant - while they're power weapons all the same, Legendaries alone shouldn't be relied on exclusively further down the skill pipeline - but seasoned players will operate in a much more balanced fashion, coordinating calculated responses with their team to consistently make use of map flow and combat control to instigate victory. By extension, skilled players will make use of all their available tools - all the weapons in the sandbox - according to fashion and function, rather than constantly finding themselves at a loss. Assuming a standard match length of 12-20 minutes, at a spawn time of 4 minutes this allows inexperienced players chances to gain ground anywhere from 3-5 times per match.

Personally, I think Legendary weapons should have maybe 50% the ammo their power weapon counterparts have (similar to the Spartan Laser's ammo capacity compared to, say, Rockets or Sniper) and not spawn at the start of the match to allow map flow to hit its stride first, but ultimately it's all in the implementation.

Good read! I'm curious about what kind of meta potential you see in clamber, though. I haven't played the beta so I have no idea myself.

I haven't played either, but I think a mechanic that allows you to overcome distance in a way traditional jumping can't means we're going to be seeing all sorts of ridiculous options open up. Just imagine playing on Hang 'Em High and hopping onto a tombstone -> clamber onto level 1 catwalk -> jump and clamber onto level 2 catwalk -> thrust over to top mid, for example. Clamber alone turns map movement into a completely different beast.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
SMG is a niche power weapon. However, its effectiveness is limited by the person being scoped in. If you ping them out of scope then they usually die. I love it now.

I have played it for 5 hours and in still loving it. Besides a few niggles of course.

I still think the BR looks super ugly. Also wish the pistol was the older shinier iconic silver look.

I keep hearing the BR make a semi-auto sound...I wish it had more of a distinctive 3-round burst sound. I've been watching via Twitch.

Watched quite a few twitch streams last night. Game looks pretty fun, though I still don't like the ADS, especially with the increased accuracy of the automatics at such close range. Hopefully that changes, wish I could try this out before the end of the week to see how it feels. I only have to wait 9 days though!

TTUVAPOR

Banned
GG Zoojoo, Elzar, etc from yesterday.

and here's some personal thoughts from me:

All of the stuff you listed could easily be fixed if 343 just implemented toggles for those things.

Everything would be fine if they had toggles so that there would be separate playlists for that stuff, classic Halo and new Halo, much like CODAW has classic COD (no exo kits) and CODAW with exo kits.

It's super easy. Will 343 do it? I highly doubt it.

I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how difficult it is for them to create toggles for those things. But if they can do toggles for shield recharge, spawning with an overshield, gravity adjustment, etc...I see no reason why they can't create toggles for the spartan abilities across the board.

Impala26

I made a post about it on another page but I think I quite like it actually.

Scoping at close range is completely useless. Because of this aiming at close range feels very similar to previous Halos. Scoping is only useful at mid range. I think it's a way of increasing the effective range of the AR etc, without making them OP at close range.

I guess that's true. Given that de-scoping is back, the only instances where the tighter spread would be in play would be where you have the jump on the enemy. The immediate knee-jerk feeling is that it's like that CoD ADS vs. hipfire even though it's to a far lesser extent. I guess I'll have to see how it plays in the long run.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
After watching streams, the thrusters don't look too bad.

If I had the ability to create a custom competitive game for Halo 5, I'd disable sprint, allow the thrusters, and probably disable ground pound.

So...please 343, just give us toggles for all of the spartan abilities and sprint.

Frankie, I know you read this, can you please give us a glimpse of whether this is asking too much, is it possible? Is it a reality that toggles can be made for these features come launch day next year?

It's best to just lay down the hammer and let us know...toggles, yes or no. If no, then it will make it set more in as a reality that the spartan abilities are here to stay, plus sprint.

I don't like assuming anything, it just makes it worse....false hope.

If I had the ability to create a custom competitive game for Halo 5, I'd disable sprint, allow the thrusters, and probably disable ground pound.

So...please 343, just give us toggles for all of the spartan abilities and sprint.

Frankie, I know you read this, can you please give us a glimpse of whether this is asking too much, is it possible? Is it a reality that toggles can be made for these features come launch day next year?

It's best to just lay down the hammer and let us know...toggles, yes or no. If no, then it will make it set more in as a reality that the spartan abilities are here to stay, plus sprint.

I'd like something to the effect of:
[OFF] Sprint
[OFF] Ground Pound
[ON] Clamber
[ON] Thruster Pack
[OFF] Spartan Charge
[OFF] Slide
[OFF] Smart Scope

dwells

Go visit IKEA for me!
Is there one? I need the glass wall mounted storage units for my desk. But it's not like I could bring it on my plane or it could survive being checked luggage. Nearest IKEA to where I live is over an hour away. :(

Also, Harry Potter world is the best. In line for the wand shop right now. The girlfriend and I are not the only 20-somethings here reliving their childhoods, so that's good.

Is there one? I need the glass wall mounted storage units for my desk. But it's not like I could bring it on my plane or it could survive being checked luggage. Nearest IKEA to where I live is over an hour away. :(

Also, Harry Potter world is the best. In line for the wand shop right now. The girlfriend and I are not the only 20-somethings here reliving their childhoods, so that's good.

Actually, shit, I think it's in Tampa.

I went to Harry Potter World in like... either July or August and it was nuts. Lines everywhere else honestly weren't bad at all, but the Harry Potter ride that replaced Dueling Dragons took us like an hour fifteen to get in, and the express lane for the ride in that hole-in-the-wall area had a wait time of two to three hours so we didn't end up going. Thankfully nobody in the family's really a huge Harry Potter buff.

Butterbeer is also kinda gross. I can occasionally handle butterscotch syrup in my coffee, but that shit was Paula Deen.

Clamber though

until we get double jump it'll suffice

RSB

Banned

I'd also ask if traditional scopes will be in the final game as an option at least.

From what I've seen they don't look like they'd bug me too much...
Save the DMR... that scope is fuggin obnoxious.
Even if it was only cosmetic I'd still hate it. ADS is my most hated mechanic in modern shooters, and seeing it in Halo is the worst.

Actually, shit, I think it's in Tampa.

I went to Harry Potter World in like... either July or August and it was nuts. Lines everywhere else honestly weren't bad at all, but the Harry Potter ride that replaced Dueling Dragons took us like an hour fifteen to get in, and the express lane for the ride in that hole-in-the-wall area had a wait time of two to three hours so we didn't end up going. Thankfully nobody in the family's really a huge Harry Potter buff.

Butterbeer is also kinda gross. I can occasionally handle butterscotch syrup in my coffee, but that shit was Paula Deen.

until we get double jump it'll suffice
St. Pete bruh

VinFTW

Just finished my 10 qualifying matches. Game does so much right and a few things wrong. Will have a nice write up for the first 10 games and after the big beta.

Overall I'm super excited. As someone earlier said: #weback (in 2015) :p

I'd like something to the effect of:
[OFF] Sprint
[OFF] Ground Pound
[ON] Clamber
[ON] Thruster Pack
[OFF] Spartan Charge
[OFF] Slide
[OFF] Smart Scope
I haven't played yet but this should be the extent of base player traits.

Don't change the wheel to a square, keep it round.

With a solid base game that is arena focused, we don't need the fluff.

A solid arena Halo game can still be made in time for Halo 5.

Oop, forgot, I want to keep Stabilizers in too. As long as you remove Ground Pound, Stabilizers are basically the one good function of Jetpack - avoiding "oh shit he pushed me off a cliff" moments without excessively destroying vertical map movement. Not to mention it's possible to help you line up shots you couldn't ordinarily make, as Tawp illustrated yesterday.

CliQ

IuAdy0a.jpg

Tonight is the Throwdown! My lobby will be open around 930pm EST. If you would like to play send me a PM with your GT or message me on XBL (xCliQuEx).

See you on the battlefield!

I was actually talking to my roommate the other day saying I wish they did Relic, so I'm pretty happy about that. ODST is one of my favorite Halo games too, it also has the best soundtrack, hope its music plays on the menu when we select it in the campaign tab.

Omni

Is no one else super excited for ODST and Relic on MCC?
I love relic. Definitely looking forward to that. It's gonna be so good

As for ODST... Honestly I had serious complaints about that campaign when it was released. But it will be fun to play again, I guess. Especially for free. I think they could have just ported firefight over instead and people would be just as happy though

I love relic. Definitely looking forward to that. It's gonna be so good

As for ODST... Honestly I had serious complaints about that campaign when it was released. But it will be fun to play again, I guess. Especially for free. I think they could have just ported firefight over instead and people would be just as happy though

any Halo game that doesn't force me to get a score of 200,000 on every Firefight map is a winner in my book. Let's keep MCC that way.

Rev3rb

Relic is neat. Would've prefered Containment or Waterworks though.

Collosus and Waterworks were my two picks. Though Relic has a slew of cool dynamic stuff Certain Affinity could add though.

I know someone in here had the idea to have a tsunami button (or something of that sort) that would flood all the lower parts of the map.

Omni

any Halo game that doesn't force me to get a score of 200,000 on every Firefight map is a winner in my book. Let's keep MCC that way.
Haha. I did all of those solo. So much fun

Though the Crater map really kicked my ass for a while there. But just the night version. I did the day version easily (I don't know)

GrizzNKev

Banned
Hey Frank/David/Anyone at 343, Masterz1337 from the Halo Custom Edition mod team CMT would very much like to play Halo 5. He's not on GAF and I told him I would try to assist in getting him access. His twitter is @masters1337, so if you follow him he'll follow back so you can DM him. Much appreciated. :D

Fuchsdh

Honestly as someone who like sprints, having sprint AND ground pound AND change AND thruster AND mantling feels excessive. Clearly I'm not great at adapting :) Might just be having to deal with the controls--as someone who always played default going back to Halo 3 style for reloading if you want your grenades to be on trigger is messing me up badly, failing with my melees.

Mix

Frankie please, what is the formula for calculating KDA. Still freaking out over not being able to figure it out.

Frankie please, what is the formula for calculating KDA. Still freaking out over not being able to figure it out.

((((Kills / Deaths)^CSR) - (Frankie Magic - Bonbon Rosetta) * ((Heckfu Tears + Spartan Ops Buttons Per Session))) * (CSR - Complaints About CSR * Smartglass Downloads))

I'm not sure how but I really like thrusters.
It adds more maneuverability. More tricky but smart and risky plays. Has a nice flow to it. And isn't op since Halo 4 had a simple nerfed version of it I enjoyed using it and preferred it as a second core feature over sprint. It's basically perfect for halo but not for everyone obviously. Just takes time to adjust to controls and map flow.

When are we getting the free one month? I really need it.

When and how will I receive this content and 1 month of Xbox Live Gold?

Beginning as early as mid-January 2015, depending on your existing Xbox Live subscription type, we will either apply the one month of Xbox Live Gold directly to your account or send a redeemable token via the Xbox One message center. In either case, we will send a confirmation via the in-console message center, so please check it regularly.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...alo-the-master-chief-collection-thank-you-faq

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom