• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tootsi666

Hey guys, lets discuss sprint. If sprint is going to be in Halo 5, what are some ways to tweak it than its current state?

Why if sprinting simply drained your shields, not your health, but your shields. For example, if you're full shields and you start sprinting, your shields will deplete, once they pop, you can no longer sprint until they recharge to 100%.

This wouldn't allow people to sprint away when down in a fight, thus it would cut down the offense use of it by penalizing you if you choose to gain more speed.

Thoughts?
Sprint is already nerfed hard. Only thing remaining is to cut it altogether and increase movement speed.

Really, sprinting was already really situational in the beta. It's even more pointless than in Halo 4. Atleast in Halo 4 maps were built around sprint, Truth and Empire would play the same without it.

Sprint in Halo 5 doesn't need to be nerfed or rebalanced. Only change that would make it better would be removing it.

The balancing mechanic actually works really well i think, I don't think I've been able to run away from an encounter and survive at all so far.

Spartan Abilities are appropriately hard to pull off, Ground Pound a lot less OP than i previously thought, I would recommend to increase the charging time though.

Gunplay feels excellent, it's not "lock-on" sl aim assist anymore,it takes skill. Sniper feels weird, can't put my finger on why though. Audio cues are very satisfying, especially the pop when you get a headshot or the whoosh you get while jumping while sprinting. The music is fantastic, leagues better than Halo 4, I'd even say on par with Marty's in some cases, it reminds me a lot of Halo Wars actually.

I have to say, Spartan Thrust and Slide are barely used because they feel useless, you get punished severely for attempting thrust if the enemy is anywhere near alert, and Slide had no real use, at least not yet.

Also, flinch is fucking dumb and it needs to go,I'm not against having the animation on there but please get rid of that randomness.

Overall, B+ Beta, needs some refinements,but I've honestly bad a blast playing it this weekend, me, Mix, and Ghazi will probably go now in depth of the next episode of Reclaimer Radio, so keep an eye out for that.

Sephzilla

I didn't play any of the beta from this weekend and only watched streams but here are my 2 cents

1- That slight haze the game has is absolutely annoying and has to go. 343, can we please go back to the crisper look of the Bungie games?

2- Ground Pound in my opinion just looks really out of place.

3- Sprint feels kind of pointless to the extent of almost being unnecessary.

4- Prophet's Bane eats up way too much screen real estate

Hold on. While Sprinting we know our shields won't recharge but adding an overshield to a special version of the grav-hammer or damage boost (depending how much of overshield or damage boost is granted to the wielder) that weapon would appear OP but limit the percentage to the hammer and how those attributes are given out and not automatically handed to the wielder can work. Also an electro-stun ability would be a cool alternate feature, perhaps.

If you give one specific weapon Damage Boost, you are simply increasing that weapon's base damage value. You understand that right?

What scenario would giving out an Overshield just for picking up a weapon be good for gameplay? It seems like you would need to make the weapon so weak, to accommodate for the Overshield you just gifted them, that it wouldn't be worth it. Seesaw balancing.

How would this "electro stun" ability work?

RSB

Banned
If the "balancing factor" for moving at full speed needs to be so over the top, like removing the player's ability to recharge his shields, what does that say about the ability you are trying to balance in the first place?

This is what I call "seesaw balancing". The first thing you add is so imba that it tips the seesaw all the way in one direction, sprint rewarding passive play styles, so you add something else that tips it all the way back in the other direction, shields not recharging while sprinting.

It's a terrible way to "balance" mechanics that have no business being in Halo in the first place.
Yep, no matter how many band aids they try, sprint will never stop being detrimental to Halo's gameplay. They should just remove it and increase the base movement speed, but they probably won't because "people expect it" Same thing with ADS (I still hope they include classic scopes as an option in the final game, though)

tootsi666

My suggestion:

Can't sprint unless full shields. Base movement speed increased quite a bit (sprint still faster)

Thoughts?
Like using bandaid to fix brain trauma

Would probably be better than the current sprint but sprint would still be pointless and stupid and un-Halo. /rant

antigoon

If the "balancing factor" for moving at full speed needs to be so over the top, like removing the player's ability to recharge his shields, what does that say about the ability you are trying to balance in the first place?

This is what I call "seesaw balancing". The first thing you add is so imba that it tips the seesaw all the way in one direction, sprint rewarding passive play styles, so you add something else that tips it all the way back in the other direction, shields not recharging while sprinting.

It's a terrible way to "balance" mechanics that have no business being in Halo in the first place.

I think people are making these kinds of suggestions because they know that sprint is 100% not being removed.

Like, I agree with what you're saying - but it kinda is what it is at this point. It's not going away.

shout-out to Speedy being the only halogaffer to ever get me to quit a game sesh in outright disappointment.

On an unrelated note, it's a sad day in the Halo community when Greenskull is the most tolerable commentator that has a guide for toys / skulls / terminals in H2A out. Why can't they just upload the videos without commentary?

If you give one specific weapon Damage Boost, you are simply increasing that weapon's base damage value. You understand that right?

What scenario would giving out an Overshield just for picking up a weapon be good for gameplay? It seems like you would need to make the weapon so weak, to accommodate for the Overshield you just gifted them, that it wouldn't be worth it. Seesaw balancing.

How would this "electro stun" ability work?
I realize that. But what I'd like to express is mainly "How" those attributes are giving out rather than you are immediately granted the Overshield or Damage Boost and can it work as a Grav-Hammer 2.0? Electro-stun could be several things, not trying to mix too much lore crazyness into the thought in mp (almost never a good idea, ugh), but an Emp area of effect can be interesting. Grabbing pick up-able items from a limited distance (Wahrer's Grav-gauntlet), or even a shield healing factor (faster recharge rate) rather than an overshield.

Maps felt great in the beta.

Would solve escape issue.

The escape issue is built into the inherent mechanics of sprint. Trade your ability to attack for the ability to move faster. A player running away from a fight doesn't need to attack so he reaps only the benefits of sprint. A player persuing a kill need to move as quickly as his target as well as retain the ability to fire.

As long as sprint remains a mechanic that trades aggression for speed, the escape issue will never be solved.

I realize that. But what I'd like to express is mainly "How" those attributes are giving out rather than you are immediately granted the Overshield or Damage Boost and can it work as a Grav-Hammer 2.0? Electro-stun could be several things, not trying to mix too much lore crazyness into the thought in mp (almost never a good idea, ugh), but an Emp area of effect can be interesting. Grabbing pick up-able items from a limited distance (Wahrer's Grav-gauntlet), or even a shield healing factor (faster recharge rate) rather than an overshield.

A lingering EMP aoe? Would stifle player movement too much. Grenade Launcher and Plasma Pistol have the EMP ability covered IMO. An item that can be used to pull weapons to you? Don't grenades already have this ability covered? I'm not a fan of a pickup that modifies shield recharge delay because that should remain a static value IMO.

VinFTW

The escape issue is built into the inherent mechanics of sprint. Trade your ability to attack for the ability to move faster. A player running away from a fight doesn't need to attack so he reaps only the benefits of sprint. A player persuing a kill need to move as quickly as his target as well as retain the ability to fire.

As long as sprint remains a mechanic that trades aggression for speed, the escape issue will never be solved.

But I suggested: can't sprint unless shields are full. How can they escape if they're losing a fight?

Also, thruster is a balanced offensive/defensive ability.

RSB

Banned

Basically the old "run and gun" vs "run or gun"

For me it's obvious Halo should stay a true "run and gun" shooter. There's already way too many "run or gun" shooters out there, especially on consoles. Turning Halo into one sucks.

But I suggested: can't sprint unless shields are full. How can they escape if they're losing a fight?

I just feel like you are balancing in an unintuitive manner. You have an entire button dedicated to a mechanic but can only use it at the times that matter least? I'm not a fan.

Also, thruster is a balanced offensive/defensive ability.

I agree. I would further improve on thruster though.

Single use before recharge, first person view Thruster, that the user can still attack while using, that can also give a slight upward boost if the jump button is tapped while airborne, that has an 8 second recharge but will instantly refill if the user gets a kill.

VinFTW

I just feel like you are balancing in an unintuitive manner. You have an entire button dedicated to a mechanic but can only use it at the times that matter least? I'm not a fan.
The other movement options in halo 5 are SO good, that I feel like sprint is unnecessary and I rarely use it. I know it's not the best way, but it eliminates the issue for some.

Having a higher base movement speed is really all I want.

I agree. I would further improve on thruster though.

Single use before recharge, first person view Thruster, that the user can still attack while using, that can also give a slight upward boost if the jump button is tapped while airborne, that has an 8 second recharge but will instantly refill if the user gets a kill.

This is excellent.

Madness

Welp, now it's back to a broken Halo compilation b o y s

Let the salt mines floweth

Watching a stream right now of some UK chick playing Halo 3 with nonstop swearing. "So fookin laggy dude, my fookin shots ain't fookin registering, games just too fookin laggy, these motherfookers shooting me through walls dude, what the fook, keep randomly fookin dying".

So you're saying if you're getting shot while shooting at someone, our aim is penalized just for getting hit??

WTF?

Descope was an absolute punishment. Once you were descoped, you couldn't be penalized any more. Now there is levels of punishment. First you get descoped, then you get flinched. Seems like it would make coming back from shots down even less likely because you have to fight back through multiple levels of varying punishments rather than a single absolute punishment.

Overdoziz

Banned
LdT3ubn.gif

looksa lika forge to meeee
Hopefully there's more to H5 Forge than just placing blocks. Forge has seen some improvements over the course of four games, but I'd really like them to take it a step further and make it a proper map creator.

Mdot

I've been MIA all weekend, but seems like the beta was pretty well received. What are the overall thoughts and impressions? I watched a feed on Friday and it looked solid

link1201

Does anyone else feel as though the aim assist was really low? I felt as if I had to nail my shots. I didn't think it was lag but there were some hiccups toward the end of the beta.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Descope was an absolute punishment. Once you were descoped, you couldn't be penalized any more. Now there is levels of punishment. First you get descoped, then you get flinched. Seems like it would make coming back from shots down even less likely because you have to fight back through multiple levels of varying punishments rather than a single absolute punishment.

I will absolutely not play Halo 5 if flinch is in the game. Flinch is a dumb design mechanic that further hinders gameplay.

Madness

Give me Halo 5 without ADS, and without Sprint and I'd be a happy guy. I hope there is some iteration of classic click/zoom in the final game, just so customs could be done without ADS. For me, toggles for these things like Sprint (off), Smart Scope (off) with a custom games browser would revolutionize how I play the game next go around.

Edit: There would still be things that would bother me, slow movement speed, lack of non-clamber ledges and jumps, this screen shake/flinch, killcams, dudebro poses etc. But fundamentally, I'll always be opposed to the ADS/Sprint.

Ramirez

I didn't comment on Pistola last night, but here's my take. None of us know what is going on in his life, it's fair to criticize him for punching the stage. We've all done stupid things, I'm sure. If you want to support his surgery, go for it, and if you don't, don't! There's no reason to smear the guy for reaching out for help, the worst that can happen is people don't support it.

I recently had to quit my job to take care of my special needs kid full time. There's people who don't understand the situation who make jokes about me not working, which infuriates me, but it's a temporary thing that was necessary for the time being.

TL;DR version, don't assume to know someone's life situation.

Also, Magnum.

http://xboxclips.com/TJ+Ram/5a741c4c-91e6-4422-b841-cf170b4950bf

I didn't comment on Pistola last night, but here's my take. None of us know what is going on in his life, it's fair to criticize him for punching the stage. We've all done stupid things, I'm sure. If you want to support his surgery, go for it, and if you don't, don't! There's no reason to smear the guy for reaching out for help, the worst that can happen is people don't support it.

I recently had to quit my job to take care of my special needs kid full time. There's people who don't understand the situation who make jokes about me not working, which infuriates me, but it's a temporary thing that was necessary for the time being.

Also, Magnum.

Awww Shit,

Good luck with everything my man.

Chitown B

Just got back from the bar, so I think its the perfect time to give my thoughts on the H5 early beta. If my formatting and and spelling is messed up in this post blame it on the alcohol yo.

BR - BR is still goat. The only thing that kind of bugs me is the sound. It sounds like its only firing one bullet.

PISTOL/MAGNUM OR WHATEVER IT CALLED - I think it needs to be buffed. I get melted by the autos up close and i'm no match against the BR and DMR from distance. Or maybe i just suck, who knows.

HAZE- There's this weird haze that makes it hard to see people sometimes. It felt like my spartan was mouth breathing and steaming up the inside of his helmet.

KILL CAM - I think the kill cam was my least favorite part of the beta. It just feels unnecessary and its pretty jarring when it immediately cuts to the footage and only shows like 1 second. Id definitely like to toggle that off.

BR sound sucks. Agreed, it sounds and look like one bullet. It may as well just be the DMR.

Pistol is super good. I'm not sure what issues you're having with it, but it destroys. It shoots as fast as you can pull the trigger.

Haze? No.

Kill cam sucks. A, it doesn't go back far enough. B, it actually seems to show them NOT hitting you, which just angers me. And C, if you hit X to cancel, it shows some random teammate for 3 seconds. Why? Just can it. Show your dead body like H3 did and let you change the view.

Tawpgun

Empire has this crazy contrast with out bright the lighting is and how dark the dark parts are. It's not very easy on the eyes. I had this weird sensation where I felt like I had to squint and make my eyes adjust.

TTUVAPOR

Banned

Also, Magnum.

People should just mind their own business about people. People hide behind their damn computers and would never approach that same person and say the same things to their face.

No one has to explain themselves to anyone about their own personal matters.

Sephzilla

Empire has this crazy contrast with out bright the lighting is and how dark the dark parts are. It's not very easy on the eyes. I had this weird sensation where I felt like I had to squint and make my eyes adjust.

Stuff like this shouldn't even happen with a Spartan helmet, arent those supposed to be designed to filter out stuff like that? Or is that another one of those lore things 343 rewrote to make it work in their game like ADS?

Ramirez

People should just mind their own business about people. People hide behind their damn computers and would never approach that same person and say the same things to their face.

No one has to explain themselves to anyone about their own personal matters.

People should mind their own business, but rarely do. Which is why I don't understand if you had a problem with him asking for money, don't support/draw attention to it and leave it at that. Don't start a campaign against someone because you disagree with how they decide to solve their problems. Him receiving money from donors online doesn't have any effect on us.

I'm not a fan of the no friendly fire, but I guess I've gotten used to it because no MP game seems to have FF anymore. I understand it's to curb griefing, which is a shame that it has to be done because of that. Load up MCC and grab a sniper rifle with randoms and you can see the rationale behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom