• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some THOUGHTS
For all the crap he gets, I have to say I do legitimately respect Funk's opinion because he's proven himself to be pretty good at Halo.
CE anyway
lol Thanks, although I don't think I receive a lot of crap for my views unless it goes on behind my back ;] Many times how I choose to play in a match depends on several factors. For example:

• Are my teammates aware of their surroundings, especially with motion tracker?

No, many players are dependent on motion tracker because of the info it feeds them, taking away critical thought and trying to manipulate situations in their team's favor in a significant way other than just chasing a kill to finish off. It takes away from other systems in the game, whether part of the actual game design like Spartan call-outs or just understanding that you should be conscious of your teammates' positioning and not funneling your fire down the SAME. EXACT. SIGHTLINES. Players love setting themselves up for Double Kills, Triple Kills, etc. because THEY WANT THAT KILL and for that red dot to disappear!
  • I consciously make pushes from angles to support where my teammates are shooting while at the same time making sure they're not being swiped from the side, so are they coordinating with me to control positions or sprinting around chasing red dots, leading themselves and teammates trying to cover them into traps?

Without motion tracker people might finally start thinking more about their decisions. Combining the appearance of DEATHS on the scoreboard (big improvement IMO to display that because it's a constant reminder to the player that they're giving up a lot of kills to the enemy team) without motion tracker could lead to players consciously trying to improve their play instead of going through the motions of just another multiplayer game to waste time in.
  • What are the enemies doing, playing defensively the entire match or trying to hold multiple positions as they move around the map? I played against Walshy while watching his stream and I frequently saw people comment on why are they taking that match so seriously despite being ahead by 10 kills, why are they still making call-outs, etc.?
    Answer is because they had to against us otherwise we would've outplayed them. Walshy rarely moved from DMR spawns on Truth while his teammates covered his angles. I think 343 underestimates how annoying this is as a good player trying to get in on a better team? It's almost impossible, and not fun at all.

This game has great mobility options and a more powerful sandbox to empower the individual player more effectively than we've seen with previous games. Take Lockdown TS in H2A for example at higher levels. We've seen pro matches become stalemates consistently on that map despite no motion tracker, but why? "Shouldn't they be able to push around the map UNKNOWN since they don't have motion tracker?" Well, yeah, but don't underestimate the significance of the weapon sandbox's role in this. Halo 5's sandbox has improved IMO, so if they just disabled motion tracker this game would be in MUCH better shape than its predecessors because it would be less BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR pop-shots all match.
  • How many times do I chase people around corners because they can see my every move?

If more than once, make a bowl of cereal, re-evaluate my life and return to the game here and there until it's finished while Unstable goes like 24-16 and I'm like 8-4 because I just don't give a damn lol. Shout out to Unstable, he sprints around Halo 5 like a madman and gets tons of kills, but he also gets lots of deaths. I worry this is how most people will play Halo 5 if motion tracker and sprint are to remain as they are while I'm left wondering, "Why can't 343 just remove motion tracker or change it to sound-based radar because of what it does to gameplay? This isn't a situation where it's a few people who share some crazy belief on something that can't be analyzed or experimented with, so why 343, why can't you try this out??

Motion tracker sucks the life out of me.

//==========

We can run the CE playlist Funknown amirite?
Hell yuh, of course.
I was watching Walshy last night on his Twitch channel and he seems to be liking Halo 5 so far. I highly value his opinion on Halo, I think he offers a lot of insight and feedback because he approaches the game in a completely different way than the avg Halo player.
Walshy's the man.
Omg, Combat Evolved medal in Halo 5. Have you guys seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6MQNuaRITk
So good.

So this happened.

HKExfP9.jpg

blamite

No Achievements. Solo or Custom only, no MM.

There's really no reason to play unless you absolutely love that mode.
sorry David :(
Oh there were definitely some cool missions, especially the ones he worked on, but ultimately with everything else I could be playing these says SpOps is at the very bottom of the list.

Ramirez

I think a lot of people are delusional on how good they expect dedis to be. If you're playing with a mixed party, you're still going to get shit matches sometimes. TF was basically unplayable for me when I played with WC friends.

IHaveIce

Banned
I think a lot of people are delusional on how good they expect dedis to be. If you're playing with a mixed party, you're still going to get shit matches sometimes. TF was basically unplayable for me when I played with WC friends.

Yup, Playing Battlefield and Titanfall you knew what problems Dedis also could have

Strider

I just randomly got matched against Ninja in H2A. Close game too. Was the most fun I've had in MCC yet honestly. Either the game hasn't worked or people quit so often...

The patch today seems like it did a lot of good. Haven't had problems finding matches with a friend of mine at least.

tootsi666

My Xbox just turned itself off in the middle of Uprising on legendary. 50 minutes of progress down the drain. MCC came out one month and 12 days ago.

Very curious how CTF will play in H5. Still a lot of unanswered questions. Also curious to so some covenant weapons.

I have a feeling the flag carrier is going to need some extra speed or backpack the flag so they too can clamber, thrust, shoot back etc. The abilities will force some CTF change, I think that's a given.

-Ryn

Banned
L6RgnO7.png

58kJv0B.png

I'm pretty sure I got all of the abilities (stuff like spartan charge wasn't listed since it's a contextual melee).

-Ryn

Banned
Left stick to aim?

Bumper Jumper looks good outside of that.
I originally was going to have Ground Pound be activated by pressing the jump and melee button at the same time. Aiming with the right stick would suck in that case though so I changed its aim to left stick.

Then I realized I could just make it "hold melee". Guess I forgot to get rid of that lol

belushy

Banned
Oh how I hope so. Objectives need to be spiced up a bit, whether that's through interesting new mechanics or speeding up the gameplay by not decreasing the flag runner speed.

Either a spear like attack (that can also be used as a "pass" to a teammate) or an AoE(not sure if that is the right term) swing that can damage opponent and maybe knock them away.

Definitely need to speed up the flag/ball/bomb carrier. I think they should be able to use movement based spartan abilities (so slide, thruster, clamber) except for sprint.

jem0208

I want a CTF variant where all weapons and abilities are available to the carrier. It works for every other game, why wouldn't it work for Halo?

Either a spear like attack (that can also be used as a "pass" to a teammate) or an AoE(not sure if that is the right term) swing that can damage opponent and maybe knock them away.

Definitely need to speed up the flag/ball/bomb carrier. I think they should be able to use movement based spartan abilities (so slide, thruster, clamber) except for sprint.

That reminds me, if they really want to make the Prophet's Bane special, give it a CE-level melee hitbox that's capable of damaging multiple enemies. Elites in Reach on higher difficulties could straight-up kill all four co-op buddies in a single kick.

Gonna say it again: Halo NEEDS a vote to kick option. I just played a game of H2A where we had a teammate who was shooting us down to about 1 shot. He wouldn't betray us, he'd just do that and let the enemy team clean us up. It was annoying. I want to have the option to call a vote for my team to kick him. I think this is my third time posting about a vote to kick option, so either I'm just a very unlucky person in regard to who I get matched up with or this is a feature that really needs to be in every competitive game.

Put it in Halo 5.

Yeah, keeping objective carriers the same speed or upping it a bit but allowing them to use base abilities sans sprint could be interesting.
That reminds me, if they really want to make the Prophet's Bane special, give it a CE-level melee hitbox that's capable of damaging multiple enemies. Elites in Reach on higher difficulties could straight-up kill all four co-op buddies in a single kick.
Gravity Hammer.

Yeah, keeping objective carriers the same speed or upping it a bit but allowing them to use base abilities sans sprint could be interesting.

Gravity Hammer.

shhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm talking, like, where the actual swing of the Sword projects an instakill sandbox for the entire duration of the swing, not a general AOE "bubble." It makes sense, it's not like a Spartan has to be swinging the Sword for it to kill people.

That 'Combat Evolved' medal is great.

One thing I really liked from the beta is the new in game scoreboard which gives a running total of everyone's kills, deaths and assists. Helps inform me just how rough a game I might be having and whether I should hang back a bit if the host is particularly disagreeable and/or I'm just playing like a scrooblet. Hopefully it makes it to the final retail build.

One thing I don't like and has been an issue in every 343 released Halo multiplayer, is not being able to move whilst holding the back button and checking the scoreboard. It's a useful tool for checking the respawn status' of the other team and makes no sense whatsoever to ground the player whilst viewing it.

CliQ

Oh how I hope so. Objectives need to be spiced up a bit, whether that's through interesting new mechanics or speeding up the gameplay by not decreasing the flag runner speed.

I don't think being able to throw the flag like a spear is the best idea. I get it that you want to stab people and that's really cool but beng able to throw a flag across a map might not be such a good idea.

Now a weapon that is a spear that you can throw is very bad ass and I've wanted this for a long time. I've even thought about having a spear and shield that you can dual wield. And with these new abilities we have I think it would be awesome. At the very least it would be really fun in custom games and think of infection with a spear as your weapon. Throw a spear, kill an infected, sprint to body and pick up the spear in one smooth transition, repeat. Ship it.

Just so we are clear on the shield I don't want the jackel shield. I would want a spartan shield. One that would retract when moving and if you stop moving and crouch it would extend our and provide reliable cover.

Can someone do me a favour and post a clip(s) of them throwing a grenade on what you would label a great connection game?

In this clip at 24secs I threw a grenade for this test. I want to compare please.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/17bceec4-8ba2-4244-82b3-28d5beb9df9c

Also I really hope we can select dedis similar to Titanfall, perhaps a toggle for local dedis only or full matchmaking? Pretty please...

Similar to this clip at 17secs, the guy just takes no damage from my AR, his shields didn't even pop after half to 2/3rds of my clip hitting.
http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/2a78fb30-e2e6-4aec-91da-70c7d45cd9de

shhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm talking, like, where the actual swing of the Sword projects an instakill sandbox for the entire duration of the swing, not a general AOE "bubble." It makes sense, it's not like a Spartan has to be swinging the Sword for it to kill people.
How about being about to shoot out a shockwave that consumes 20% energy?
That 'Combat Evolved' medal is great.

One thing I really liked from the beta is the new in game scoreboard which gives a running total of everyone's kills, deaths and assists. Helps inform me just how rough a game I might be having and whether I should hang back a bit if the host is particularly disagreeable and/or I'm just playing like a scrooblet. Hopefully it makes it to the final retail build.

One thing I don't like and has been an issue in every 343 released Halo multiplayer, is not being able to move whilst holding the back button and checking the scoreboard. It's a useful tool for checking the respawn status' of the other team and makes no sense whatsoever to ground the player whilst viewing it.
Agreed.
I don't think being able to throw the flag like a spear is the best idea. I get it that you want to stab people and that's really cool but beng able to throw a flag across a map might not be such a good idea.
Just because you can throw it doesn't mean you'll be able to "throw it across a map" to an extent like you're implying. It could just be a short throw, the distance it would be if you jumped and released it in CE or H2.

Alternatively, they could put a charge mechanic on it such that you have to hold the grenade button to build up power while maybe slowing you down to balance it, then release it to throw it X distance.
Now a weapon that is a spear that you can throw is very bad ass and I've wanted this for a long time. I've even thought about having a spear and shield that you can dual wield. And with these new abilities we have I think it would be awesome. At the very least it would be really fun in custom games and think of infection with a spear as your weapon. Throw a spear, kill an infected, sprint to body and pick up the spear in one smooth transition, repeat. Ship it.
Throw the spear, then be stuck with one weapon? How about the spear would be counted as a "Heavy Weapon" like a Turret except you stay in first person. You can't use anything else until you drop/throw it.

Spear + Grappling Hook + Thruster + Tek Bow + CE Magnum + Grenade Launcher + No Motion Tracker + . . . = CHAMPION Halo

CliQ

How about being about to shoot out a shockwave that consumes 20% energy?

Agreed.

Just because you can throw it doesn't mean you'll be able to "throw it across a map" to an extent like you're implying. It could just be a short throw, the distance it would be if you jumped and released it in CE or H2.

Alternatively, they could put a charge mechanic on it such that you have to hold the grenade button to build up power while maybe slowing you down to balance it, then release it to throw it X distance.

Throw the spear, then be stuck with one weapon? How about the spear would be counted as a "Heavy Weapon" like a Turret except you stay in first person. You can't use anything else until you drop/throw it.

Spear + Grappling Hook + Thruster + Tek Bow + CE Magnum + Grenade Launcher + No Motion Tracker + . . . = CHAMPION Halo

That works for me and is a great thought. Having it take the heavy role still leaves you with two weapons. Perfect.

Good lord.

It's funny I got so used to playing with latency and trying to not use grenades/melee that I actually played better on crappy USA hosted games than Aussie customs in Halo 2/3.

Poor us international scrubs :(

I can tell with the beta and MCC that even if we're playing on dedis they're still USA hosted, it's just too obvious. This is why I want a selector like Titanfall, you just chose the Azure datacentre you wanted, bam, easy. Just add one option for "Any/All datacentres" for fast matching sometimes but leave the player the ability to select their local datacentre or P2P restrictions.

I've said it before, hands down latency trumps any game mechanic or weapon or teamwork etc. It's paramount to me. Also do MCC customs use dedis? Customs have been great but coop has been a mixed bag at best.

RSB

Banned
I've been thinking about it, and I would love to see a Warzone style gametype in Halo 5. Loved that gametype in Killzone, and I think it could work great in Halo.

BTW, I have a question. Does player momentum affect the grenade throw in Halo 5? I kinda hope it doesn't, I prefer the more predictable grenade arc of Halo 1-3.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Hey guys - I just posted this over on Waypoint, so I am cross-posting here as well. I'm looking forward to seeing more HaloGAFers playing when the beta goes live next week.
___

I want to clarify the function of the smart-link system. There is no penalty to hip fire while using smart-link. It’s really important to us that you maintain freedom of movement, your shots remain accurate, etc. so that we aren’t disrupting the natural movement and flow of Halo. In the case of automatic weapons (eg: AR, SMG) there is a slight improvement to shot spread while zoomed in via smart-link. However, the obvious trade-off is that getting shot while using smart-link will de-scope you, disrupting any benefit. As I said in the vidoc that we released earlier, we don’t want people to feel like they need to use smart-link to be successful at the game. If you watch our pro team play (and dominate) you’ll see them switching back and forth between hip fire and smart-link, depending on the situation and range to target.

A reminder that H5:G is still very much in development and this beta is about getting the game in the hands of fans so that we can use your feedback to improve our multiplayer experience for the game’s launch next fall. I appreciate all of the impressions that people have shared so far and look forward to receiving even more feedback once we launch the beta on Dec 29th.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey guys - I just posted this over on Waypoint, so I am cross-posting here as well. I'm looking forward to seeing more HaloGAFers playing when the beta goes live next week.
___

I want to clarify the function of the smart-link system. There is no penalty to hip fire while using smart-link. It’s really important to us that you maintain freedom of movement, your shots remain accurate, etc. so that we aren’t disrupting the natural movement and flow of Halo. In the case of automatic weapons (eg: AR, SMG) there is a slight improvement to shot spread while zoomed in via smart-link. However, the obvious trade-off is that getting shot while using smart-link will de-scope you, disrupting any benefit. As I said in the vidoc that we released earlier, we don’t want people to feel like they need to use smart-link to be successful at the game. If you watch our pro team play (and dominate) you’ll see them switching back and forth between hip fire and smart-link, depending on the situation and range to target.

A reminder that H5:G is still very much in development and this beta is about getting the game in the hands of fans so that we can use your feedback to improve our multiplayer experience for the game’s launch next fall. I appreciate all of the impressions that people have shared so far and look forward to receiving even more feedback once we launch the beta on Dec 29th.

History's greatest monster.

Well speaking for myself, living in New Mexico means that basically all matches will suck now. Dedis on either coast are rarely any better, and often worse, than any random P2P Halo match. Again, in my experience.

During the beta, it was often 50/50 whether the game would be decent connection-wise. Getting shot through solid walls a full second after I've rounded the corner was a regular occurrence. I don't have any official knowledge of the dedi locations or whatever, but I'm kind of meh on the magic of dedis. Like Ram says, Titanfall was often unplayable with a party and sometimes solo too, even though I'd connect to the closest dedi.

*Certain people* have claimed that I "complain a lot", but if you aren't having the same experience as everyone else in the match, you're kind of at a constant disadvantage, especially when the massive majority of players are going to be playing geologically close to whatever dedi the game is hosted on from this point forward. It gets frustrating pretty damn quickly.

Fracas

#fuckonami
There's no penalty to hipfire but it gives the AR and SMG ranges far greater than what I feel they should have.

And it's probably just me, but I almost never used the BR. Felt outclassed by the AR, SMG and pistol in so many cases. Probably just the maps I played on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom