• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

link1201

There's no penalty to hipfire but it gives the AR and SMG ranges far greater than what I feel they should have.

And it's probably just me, but I almost never used the BR. Felt outclassed by the AR, SMG and pistol in so many cases. Probably just the maps I played on though

I felt the same way. I am hoping with the bigger maps the BR with be able to shine a bit more. AR is just so viable now it's hard to give it up.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
I almost never used the BR. Felt outclassed by the AR, SMG and pistol in so many cases. Probably just the maps I played on though.

Whaaaaa...? :)

The first thing I do on every map is go track down a BR or DMR and swap out the AR. I usually switch to the pistol if I can't find one. Need moar headshots.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Whaaaaa...? :)

The first thing I do on every map is go track down a BR or DMR and swap out the AR. I usually switch to the pistol if I can't find one. Need moar headshots.

It feels great to use but I just get donged on by other weapons. I'm chalking it up to tighter spaces in the maps we've seen so far, but I dunno. It's hard to fully articulate til I can get more games in.

There's no penalty to hipfire but it gives the AR and SMG ranges far greater than what I feel they should have.

And it's probably just me, but I almost never used the BR. Felt outclassed by the AR, SMG and pistol in so many cases. Probably just the maps I played on though.

I think they need to tone it down a bit; the BR should have the advantage at mid range and up, though it still shouldn't be an auto win. That said, I do like that you can use the AR SmartScope to ping people out of scope at a distance. Gives more of a fighting chance.

SMG is basically one step removed from a power weapon at this point, so I'm not quite sure how (or if) it should be adjusted. Reducing the number of them on the map would probably be a good idea, though.

m23

And it's probably just me, but I almost never used the BR. Felt outclassed by the AR, SMG and pistol in so many cases. Probably just the maps I played on though.

Really? I always went for BR or DMR, although I would keep AR as secondary just in case.

Although, I agree range is too much on AR and SMG.

Madness

Hey guys - I just posted this over on Waypoint, so I am cross-posting here as well. I'm looking forward to seeing more HaloGAFers playing when the beta goes live next week.
___

I want to clarify the function of the smart-link system. There is no penalty to hip fire while using smart-link. It’s really important to us that you maintain freedom of movement, your shots remain accurate, etc. so that we aren’t disrupting the natural movement and flow of Halo. In the case of automatic weapons (eg: AR, SMG) there is a slight improvement to shot spread while zoomed in via smart-link. However, the obvious trade-off is that getting shot while using smart-link will de-scope you, disrupting any benefit. As I said in the vidoc that we released earlier, we don’t want people to feel like they need to use smart-link to be successful at the game. If you watch our pro team play (and dominate) you’ll see them switching back and forth between hip fire and smart-link, depending on the situation and range to target.

A reminder that H5:G is still very much in development and this beta is about getting the game in the hands of fans so that we can use your feedback to improve our multiplayer experience for the game’s launch next fall. I appreciate all of the impressions that people have shared so far and look forward to receiving even more feedback once we launch the beta on Dec 29th.

I assume this is Josh? Either way, it's great having you interact with the various communities. Honest answer though, after Halo 4, was ADS something that was a given going into Halo 5? I mean why implement it now, and why not continue sort of like with what H2A is? This game would largely play the same whether it's classic zoom or ADS, so I'll give you that in that it's not identical to the ADS of CoD/Battlefield.

A big problem with automatics and ADS is that they can pretty much shred you to the point where it doesn't matter if they get descoped. Enter a room where a guy with an SMG is scoped down in the corner and your dead before you could get maybe a shot off. Either way, can't wait to play on the 29th again, with the full MCC community joining in, and 3 weeks to play with the new maps, modes etc.

I think they need to tone the AR down a bit; the BR should have the advantage at mid range and up, though it still shouldn't be an auto win. That said, I do like that you can use the AR SmartScope to ping people out of scope at a distance. Gives more of a fighting chance.

SMG is basically one step removed from a power weapon at this point, so I'm not quite sure how (or if) it should be adjusted. Reducing the number of them on the map would probably be a good idea, though.
Repost for new page.

So wait is the flinch when shot just a visual thing or does it actually move your reticle as well?

Nobody seems entirely sure.

VinFTW

Hey guys - I just posted this over on Waypoint, so I am cross-posting here as well. I'm looking forward to seeing more HaloGAFers playing when the beta goes live next week.
___

I want to clarify the function of the smart-link system. There is no penalty to hip fire while using smart-link. It’s really important to us that you maintain freedom of movement, your shots remain accurate, etc. so that we aren’t disrupting the natural movement and flow of Halo. In the case of automatic weapons (eg: AR, SMG) there is a slight improvement to shot spread while zoomed in via smart-link. However, the obvious trade-off is that getting shot while using smart-link will de-scope you, disrupting any benefit. As I said in the vidoc that we released earlier, we don’t want people to feel like they need to use smart-link to be successful at the game. If you watch our pro team play (and dominate) you’ll see them switching back and forth between hip fire and smart-link, depending on the situation and range to target.

A reminder that H5:G is still very much in development and this beta is about getting the game in the hands of fans so that we can use your feedback to improve our multiplayer experience for the game’s launch next fall. I appreciate all of the impressions that people have shared so far and look forward to receiving even more feedback once we launch the beta on Dec 29th.

Had no idea you had an account here! Awesome.

Anyways, thanks for including us in the discussion. I don't know about the rest of these guys, but I really appreciate the back and forth dev to beta tester feedback so far (as well as the transparency lately [The Sprint is truly amazing]).

The only issue I see with automatic weapons currently is the insane flinch/screen-shake you put out with it. Those crazy no scopes are pretty tough to pull off w/ the sniper (to be fair, they should be) and while it does balance a BR or DMR to AR battle, its not fun and is a bit frustrating.

Smart link, for me, didn't seem like much of an issue considering the offensive tools at your disposal to be effective even w/o scoping (thruster is a good ex, almost like an OP strafe at the last second to win a battle).

I do think the SMG and AR's ranges are a bit too long, damage seems right. It's nice not having useless automatic weapons. I think if you are going to try to be offensive with an AR though, you should have to use the environment/corridors and thruster to be truly effective as opposed to just having a super long range on the SMG/AR.

Hope this makes sense?

probably doesn't

Cheers!

edit: on a side note, I think faster scope speeds (on everything) is needed. Not sure if that's something that can be fixed for the big Beta on the 29th or not, but it's a little cumbersome (especially w/ the sniper).

I assume this is Josh?

Yes it is.

I agree that weapons need some tweaking. I would prefer the BR/Carbine to be less viable long range, the DMR/Lightrifle to be evenly distributed around the map but it being the dominate precision rifle (except the Sniper obviously).

However the most important thing to me from my 11 hours of playing Halo 5 was the pistol needs a buff. Not on a CE level 3 shot powerhouse, but something along the lines of being able to compete with the BR at even it's longest range but being harder to land shots. Maybe making the Pistol a weapon where you can reach out as far as a BR, but need to lead shots?

I really hope BR starts don't become the norm again. I love the sandbox in Halo, but if the pistol is so quickly out classed then spawning and not being able to grab a BR just sucks. It's so close to being perfect for me, so I'm very optimistic because it's obvious it's going in the right direction.

Heck, I'm craving to play more of it!

So wait is the flinch when shot just a visual thing or does it actually move your reticle as well?

Moves your reticule. Also there is a strange recoil of the first shot of the pistol that can knock your reticule off target. These things definitely need to go. They don't add to the gameplay in a positive way.

tootsi666

The thing about smart scope on automatics is that there really is no trade-off. Your TTK decreases if you smart scope and when you get de-scoped you have already hit 1-3 extra bullets. Using smart scope with automatics is ALWAYS benefitial (if your aim is good). It makes autos far too powerful. Halo 5 is supposed to be a competive game after all.

The thing about smart scope on automatics is that there really is no trade-off. Your TTK decreases if you smart scope and when you get de-scoped you have already hit 1-3 extra bullets. Using smart scope with automatics is ALWAYS benefitial (if your aim is good). It makes autos far too powerful. Halo 5 is supposed to be a competive game after all.

Ehh. It can be disorienting, and if you try to commit beyond your unscoped range it's extremely punishable. There's also a bit of a tunnel vision effect.

CliQ

I feel as though the AR is in a perfect spot right now. It's shaken up what everyone is used to and I like that. The BR and DMR definitely still have their place but the AR should be a top contender in those small 4v4 maps.

the gun has a certain skill to it now where if you aim well and combo it with your abilities just right you can challenge anything. That's what Halo 5 should be about and that's what it is right now. I love it.

I feel as though the AR is in a perfect spot right now. It's shaken up what everyone is used to and I like that. The BR and DMR definitely still have their place but the AR should be a top contender in those small 4v4 maps.

the gun has a certain skill to it now where if you aim well and combo it with your abilities just right you can challenge anything. That's what Halo 5 should be about and that's what it is right now. I love it.

I agree. It makes sense that it's powerful. I think the effective distance when scoped in is a bit much, but I actually like the dynamic of scoping in for a more accurate shot. Josh is totally correct IMHO opinion about how it's balanced in that they can be shot out of the scope.

If you think about it, the variable accuracy between hip fire and ADS allows the weapon to be viable in a variety of contexts, instead of being a terrible weapon all round (too weak in/out of ADS) and an overpowered weapon all the time (too powerful in/out of ADS). If they didn't use the ADS system for the AR/SMG then it would be a consistent damage/accuracy output. This allows it to be more balanced than the alternative options seen in past games. I think it's clever.

RSB

Banned
Weapons should not gain more accuracy when using ADS (beyond the usual accuracy increase inherent to the zoom itself) It's kind of ridiculous with the SMG for example. ADS should be completely cosmetic (that includes eleminating the delay when you use it)

And of course, they should also include the classic zoom/scope as an option.

Agreed, you can still use grenades, dodging and feinting to outdo an AR attacker. Also if you land perfect DMR/BR shots you can kill an AR attacker anyhow:

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/77dd8c52-8581-4066-a1a5-e1ecc1dcc10d
20secs in.

VinFTW

I'd fully agree except for the flinch and the range is a bit too far.

CliQ

Weapons should not gain more accuracy when using ADS (beyond the usual accuracy increase inherent to the zoom itself) It's kind of ridiculous with the SMG for example. ADS should be completely cosmetic (that also includes eleminating the delay when you use it)

And of course, they should also include classic scopes as an option.

My opinions on this have changed since I've played the beta. 343 is doing something right here and it's shaking up Halo in a new way. There's a certain comfort in the weapons now where they feel reliable.

tootsi666

The biggest problem I have with smart scope in Halo 5 is the amount of aim assist. Aim assist is perfect when un-zoomed but when activating the smart scope on certain weapons (BR, Sniper) the reticle just zooms to opponents head and the passive aim assist at long range (while smart scoped) is Halo 2 levels. Shooting precision weapons at long range is far too easy.

Most of the complains I have with the beta are actually really small. 343i have something special in their hands, I just hope they don't fuck it up (sprint, flinch, I'm looking at you)
Not true. If base movement speed is 100% and sprint is 160% then make no-sprint movement speed 130%.
And tweak some jumps. I'm pretty sure slow movement speed + nerfed sprint just make the game slower when players learn not to sprint everywhere.

CliQ

I'd fully agree except for the flinch and the range is a bit too far.

While I agree about the flinch I disagree about the range. I think the range is perfect. Any father and it would be too effective. Right now it can't cross map people, only annoy rifleman while the BR and DMR can both kill cross map. When the gap gets closed the AR needs to be fearful. Otherwise it turns into every AR in every other Halo which is a spray gun and finish with melee. It needs to be how it is.

-Ryn

Banned
Nobody seems entirely sure.
Moves your reticule. Also there is a strange recoil of the first shot of the pistol that can knock your reticule off target. These things definitely need to go. They don't add to the gameplay in a positive way.
Ew... that's just no good.
Really happy there's a beta. Can you imagine what it would've been like if this stuff was in the game at launch? It doesn't sound like something they'd have a problem getting rid of.

Computer

Slow sprint down to a small boost from base speed at the least.

While I agree about the flinch I disagree about the range. I think the range is perfect. Any father and it would be too effective. Right now it can't cross map people, only annoy rifleman while the BR and DMR can both kill cross map. When the gap gets closed the AR needs to be fearful. Otherwise it turns into every AR in every other Halo which is a spray gun and finish with melee. It needs to be how it is.

I love the AR as it is right now and don't want it nerfed but there is a balance issue between autos and the precision weapons. The issue is that the BR has low aim assist and you need to land every shot to squeak a kill in. Where the AR take much less skill and can out class the BR at mid range you miss a shot.

VinFTW

Fair enough.

At least we can agree flinch is gross :p

Not true. If base movement speed is 100% and sprint is 160% then make no-sprint movement speed 130%.

Not sure if that would do it; there are some routes (Base to Tower 2 on Empire, Red and Blue Sneaky to Top Mid on Truth) that can be done clamber-free, but only if you sprint. You'd have to rework that at the very least.

jem0208

Really? I was dominating with the BR, felt beastly.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

i get what you are saying, but i do think both autos are slightly too powerful. nerf the range or nerf the damage, just a bit, cause as it stands now they do to well even at mid range.

VinFTW

My Xbox One is in the mail and I can't watch the newest episode of The Sprint...

Someone should totally stream it...

omgsomeoneplshelp

tootsi666

Really? I was dominating with the BR, felt beastly.
BR is definitely stronger than the AR but if I wasn't feeling my 4-shot, keeping the AR was a pretty good choice.
IMO, AR ADS should be removed. Gun is good enough without it. Instead buff the pistol to 4-shot, decrease its ROF and increase range. Currently Pistol and AR overlap too much.

I think you've been playing too much Destiny.
lol That's one of the few things I liked about Destiny.
It shakes the shit out of your character model too, so flinch or no flinch it's still really jarring.

Agreed, the AR is more useful now, but the Magnum needs a buff.

CliQ

Fair enough.

At least we can agree flinch is gross :p

Yeah flinch is pretty annoying. It's almost like it doesn't fit the nature of the game right now. Halo 5 Spartans feel like very strong, very fast, and very agile athletes that kill with such strength and accuracy that when you get hit and you're having a seizure on screen it just doesn't feel like it would happen. I feel like they are so good at what they do that gun fire wouldn't even phase them. They just go until they die and that's it.

-Ryn

Banned
Agreed, you can still use grenades, dodging and feinting to outdo an AR attacker. Also if you land perfect DMR/BR shots you can kill an AR attacker anyhow:

http://xboxclips.com/Ozzy+Onya+A2Z/77dd8c52-8581-4066-a1a5-e1ecc1dcc10d
20secs in.
Never noticed this before but the killing shot has a special red x hitmarker in the middle of the reticle. Interesting.

Based on what evidence?
The current thruster is already very effective for getting out of a hairy situation. What do you think giving it even more distance will do? It's found the sweet spot already based on what I've seen.

CliQ

lol That's one of the few things I liked about Destiny.

It shakes the shit out of your character model too, so flinch or no flinch it's still really jarring.

Agreed, the AR is more useful now, but the Magnum needs a buff.

Magnum needs a range buff for sure. I'd like to be able to more accurately hit people from Pink to carbine on Truth.

Madness

I get the reasoning behind ODST, it's based off of Halo 3 engine, not too technically demanding, is short and self contained, but I so would've preferred the Reach campaign to be brought in.

Not that ODST is bad, but Reach ties into MCC much better if we're trying to talk about the overall Chief Saga, whether it's Halsey, Cortana, Pillar of Autumn, Keyes, and even a shot of Chief at the end. I'd have paid to get Reach into MCC. I liked the campaign a lot. It had serious frame rate drops, that weird blur/judder, would have benefited massively from 1080p/60fps.

I'm just not sure if this is real life when people are trying to tell me that no-sprint with a buffed thruster will be more effective at escaping than sprint and thruster combined.

CliQ

i get what you are saying, but i do think both autos are slightly too powerful. nerf the range or nerf the damage, just a bit, cause as it stands now they do to well even at mid range.

They need to do that well or they get overshadowed by the BR/DMR/Whatever rifle you prefer. Besides the AR is a mid range weapon it's supposed to be very effective at that range. That's like saying the Sniper rifle is too powerful at long ranges.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom