• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just not sure if this is real life when people are trying to tell me that no-sprint with a buffed thruster will be more effective at escaping than sprint and thruster combined.

It really is, though. As an escape mechanic, sprint is basically useless on its own. Forget the shield thing, if you get so much as breathed on during the first ~2 seconds, you go straight back to normal speed.

CliQ

The main reason why I am defending the AR/Magnum is reliability. Those guns needs to be reliable enough to compete with BR/DMR otherwise they won't get taken seriously in games. You'll stick with a BR and swap out the AR for a shotgun or rocket or sniper in a heartbeat. Right now if I have a BR and AR and I want the sniper or sword I sometimes leave the BR for a teammate or hell ill keep the magnum and lose the BR. There needs to be a real choice when you trade out guns.

Madness

It really is, though. As an escape mechanic, sprint is basically useless on its own. Forget the shield thing, if you get so much as breathed on during the first ~2 seconds, you go straight back to normal speed.

I wouldn't agree. The game plays largely the same with Sprint. Nerf hasn't done much at all beyond people running away further than before. When your shields went down in Halo 4 and someone ran away, they'd have just been able to get back into the action quicker. Now they have to wait 3 seconds. Wait for white bar to go down and then sprint back near the action or plan another route. Otherwise, it's still cat and mouse gameplay. I probably sprinted halfway across the map, coupled with thrust to get away from attacker to let shield recharge. Coupled with thrust, it's way too easy to get away from battles.

Thrust on its own with a faster base speed means, sure you do have the ability to quickly boost like ten feet in a certain direction, but you won't gain some ridiculous burst of speed to carry you to another part of map.

My Xbox One is in the mail and I can't watch the newest episode of The Sprint...

Someone should totally stream it...

omgsomeoneplshelp

It's a damn shame, they're showing off the Hydra today! Very cool stuff.

I'm gonna have to take your keys.

Aww. :(

I wouldn't agree. The game plays largely the same with Sprint. Nerf hasn't done much at all beyond people running away further than before. When your shields went down in Halo 4 and someone ran away, they'd have just been able to get back into the action quicker. Now they have to wait 3 seconds. Wait for white bar to go down and then sprint back near the action or plan another route. Otherwise, it's still cat and mouse gameplay. I probably sprinted halfway across the map, coupled with thrust to get away from attacker to let shield recharge. Coupled with thrust, it's way too easy to get away from battles.

Thrust on its own with a faster base speed means, sure you do have the ability to quickly boost like ten feet in a certain direction, but you won't gain some ridiculous burst of speed to carry you to another part of map.

But if they so much as try to chase you, that doesn't work.

-Ryn

Banned
I'm just not sure if this is real life when people are trying to tell me that no-sprint with a buffed thruster will be more effective at escaping than sprint and thruster combined.
Based on everything I've seen, most escapes in H5 start with the thruster pack and then sprint just keeps you going. Thruster is a very fast and sudden boost of speed so it's good at closing gaps between you and that lovely piece of cover. So giving it a boost will only make that easier. Even without sprint.

It shakes the shit out of your character model too, so flinch or no flinch it's still really jarring.
Yeeaaaahhh that's just kind of dumb all around.
Again, betas sure are nice.

They need to do that well or they get overshadowed by the BR/DMR/Whatever rifle you prefer. Besides the AR is a mid range weapon it's supposed to be very effective at that range. That's like saying the Sniper rifle is too powerful at long ranges.
Yup, I think it's important to note that the range of combat can finally be pushed out more than just an effective combat zone of 3 ft. like in Halo 3.

Halo's ranged combat is very fun so I'm glad they're increasing the range for automatics, but they need to remove motion tracker to allow for CQC to excel now that ranged combat and mobility has improved. I think that's important to note and something that's being underestimated or overlooked.

Based on everything I've seen, most escapes in H5 start with the thruster pack and then sprint just keeps you going. Thruster is a very fast and sudden boost of speed so it's good at closing gaps between you and that lovely piece of cover. So giving it a boost will only make that easier. Even without sprint.

So, what you're saying, is that Thruster let's you briefly delay damage, if used correctly, but not postpone it indefinitely, like sprint?

So, what you're saying, is that Thruster let's you briefly delay damage, if used correctly, but not postpone it indefinitely, like sprint?

Nope. Neither allows you to delay damage indefinitely. The only thing that lets you do that is turning on godmode in the... command prompt...

I've said too much.

Blueblur1

Is anyone else having the Halo Channel failed to load video? I'm trying to watch the new episode of The Sprint and it keeps freezing up on me and eventually crashing to a screen displaying the message "The Halo Channel is currently unavailable".

-Ryn

Banned
Sprint pauses your shields ability to regenerate shields. So there's still a chance for your opponent to outplay you and kill you. Or even an enemy team mate.

With thrusters, there is no downside. You thrust into cover and already you are on your way to recharging shields, still have your weapon up, and might even have an advantage depending on where you thrusted too. If you want to escape there is still no downside and you're less likely to get killed by someone else while your shields are down.

Defect

It is TOO easy to use the autos. There is very little skill involved when using them compared to the br/dmr. They definitely need a nerf, be it the spread, ADS range, damage, whatever.

Also, even though you can get descoped in a battle you can keep scoping in quickly and you'll be able to have the ADS advantage.

Is anyone else having the Halo Channel failed to load video? I'm trying to watch the new episode of The Sprint and it keeps freezing up on me and eventually crashing to a screen displaying the message "The Halo Channel is currently unavailable".

Worked for me.

On that note: the Hydra looks nuts. It's a multi-rocket weapon with lockon that loads like a shotgun.

Computer

Just watched the Sprint episode 5. Not sure what I think about the new weapon Hydra. Looks like an easy kill weapon. From the video it dose not look like a fun weapon to use.

Madness

Worked for me.

On that note: the Hydra looks nuts. It's a multi-rocket weapon with lockon that loads like a shotgun.

Haven't seen it yet, but it basically reminded me of plasma launcher from Reach, but a human variant. I'm sad there will be no SPNKr rocket in this game. The look is iconic to Halo, but it probably wasn't cool enough or modern/gritty for what they're going for.

-Ryn

Banned
Is it really too late for 343 to tweak the maps if sprint would be removed (not gonna happen lol)? Tweak some jumps and hallways.
I think that depends on what else they still need to do.
If they still have things in the game that aren't done or need fixing (which they do) then relegating resources to redesign each and every map would put them back quite a bit I'd imagine. Then they would also need to rethink how the abilities function as well as encounter spaces in campaign.

-Ryn

Banned
Haven't seen it yet, but it basically reminded me of plasma launcher from Reach, but a human variant. I'm sad there will be no SPNKr rocket in this game. The look is iconic to Halo, but it probably wasn't cool enough or modern/gritty for what they're going for.
I HATE to think of that as even being a possibility for why they got rid of it. Everything becoming a gritty mess is still something I'm a bit worried about for H5. I mean the dudebro stuff could be considered evidence against that but I don't know.

Yup, I think it's important to note that the range of combat can finally be pushed out more than just an effective combat zone of 3 ft. like in Halo 3.

Halo's ranged combat is very fun so I'm glad they're increasing the range for automatics, but they need to remove motion tracker to allow for CQC to excel now that ranged combat and mobility has improved. I think that's important to note and something that's being underestimated or overlooked.
Why would they remove the motion tracker? It's been in every Halo. That's what the Pro variant is for.

tootsi666

I think that depends on what else they still need to do.
If they still have things in the game that aren't done or need fixing (which they do) then relegating resources to redesign each and every map would put them back quite a bit I'd imagine. Then they would also need to rethink how the abilities function as well as encounter spaces in campaign.
I'd guess most of that stuff is gonna get tweaked anyway. They should just delay the game if they lack the time to remove sprint.
I know it's not going to happen. Well, I can play Halo 2 forever.

I don't think of the SPNKr as being that iconic, honestly. The AR? Definitely. The sword? Yeah. The SPNKr? Nah.

I think that what they might have done is split up the role. The new tubelauncher does anti-vehicle, the Hydra does anti-infantry.

-Ryn

Banned
I'd guess most of that stuff is gonna get tweaked anyway. They should just delay the game if they lack the time to remove sprint.
I know it's not going to happen. Well, I can play Halo 2 forever.
MCC just needs some fixing. H2A also needs a couple more maps. Yeah...

I honestly don't think of the SPNKr as being that iconic, honestly. The AR? Definitely. The sword? Yeah. The SPNKr? Nah.

I think that what they might have done is split up the role. The new tubelauncher does anti-vehicle, the Hydra does anti-infantry.
Are you kidding brah?
SPNKr is needed for all those
#
butts!
The Hydra is just like a bunch of plastic balls being thrown at your butt and the Tubelauncher thing is... well there's probably not gonna be any butts left. Just a big mess for Hamish to clean up.

RSB

Banned
What? Has this been confirmed? Because if so that's crazy. The rocket launcher is way too iconic, they have to keep it.

Seriously, what will be next? Removing the warthog?

I honestly don't think of the SPNKr as being that iconic, honestly. The AR? Definitely. The sword? Yeah. The SPNKr? Nah.

I think Halo fans see it as iconic, but idk about people outside of our group. Still feel weird about it's lack of an appearance so far, but I'm far from wanting to riot.

Computron

Clips I cut from the sprint episodes:

Gameplay clips from the most recent sprint with the greyboxed levels and forge:

Midship Alpha Blockout Clips:

Hydra:

-Ryn

Banned
They would never remove the Warthog.
Seriously, what will be next? Removing the warthog?
NOOOOOOOOOOO

Yes, they'll call it the Piglet.
pig_gif.gif

lol

Fuchsdh

Grizzly, breh.

300px-Halo-wars-unsc-grizzly.png

Hey, if they're doing this "legendary weapons" thing I'd love a BTB map where there's a neutral Grizzly sitting in the middle of the map. I can't think of a Halo map where vehicles have ever been like power weapons, come to think of it. They've usually been favored to one side like Ascension or equal starts like Coag.

CliQ

Slow sprint down to a small boost from base speed at the least.

I love the AR as it is right now and don't want it nerfed but there is a balance issue between autos and the precision weapons. The issue is that the BR has low aim assist and you need to land every shot to squeak a kill in. Where the AR take much less skill and can out class the BR at mid range you miss a shot.

I like this thinking a lot more. I'd rather see a slight buff to precision weapons than a nerd to the AR. Let the BR/DMR excel at mid to long range but you should have to play with caution against someone with an AR/Magnum.

Hey, if they're doing this "legendary weapons" thing I'd love a BTB map where there's a neutral Grizzly sitting in the middle of the map. I can't think of a Halo map where vehicles have ever been like power weapons, come to think of it. They've usually been favored to one side like Ascension or equal starts like Coag.

I think that if you give both teams an equal vehicle, within a minute or so one of those team vehicles will be destroyed anyway so you are usually left with asymmetric vehicles regardless of if they are originally placed symmetrically or not.

Fuchsdh

I think that if you give both teams an equal vehicle, within a minute or so one of those team vehicles will be destroyed anyway so you are usually left with asymmetric vehicles regardless of if they are originally placed symmetrically or not.

That's fair, but I enjoy the rush for weapons at the start. It's a different dynamic than whose jerky teammate who just had to drive the tank gets it blown up first.

Actually, I was thinking about it a little differently. The problem with tanks in Halo has been that, traditionally, they either suck and are unsatisfying to use or they straight up break the game (speaking about multi, of course). This is because frankly, 16 people isn't enough to justify the presence of 1 tank, let alone 2. You either nerf it to the point it no longer feels like a tank, or make it feel like a tank, thus making it OP. Neither makes for good gameplay.

However, with the possibility of BTB+ or Invasion 2.0, there are new opportunities for larger-scale battles on the horizon. The tank could finally have a viable place in the sandbox. And if you're going to go big, might as well do it seriously.

If we get Legendary Vehicles we better get the Locust as an aggressive, wall-climbing anti-vehicle / anti-air mech solution and a pilotable Strato-Sentinel.

CliQ

I'd want the SPNKr in the game. At least as a skin or variant of the Rocket Launcher. I suspect it isn't because of Smart Scope.

I suspect it's because 343 thinks they can make a successor to the classic rocket. I'm starting to think they can. They are modernizing the game and it feels good. Let's see what they come up with.

I suspect it's because 343 thinks they can make a successor to the classic rocket. I'm starting to think they can. They are modernizing the game and it feels good. Let's see what they come up with.

I don't think removing the rocket means a modernization of the game. That argument could easily be used for a lot of weapons in Halo.

The Mantis IIRC was set up that way on certain maps, like on Outcast. Also, the Tank and Gauss Hog on Exile.

It's fun to fight over powerful vehicles too, and they're on timers so it made pushes for the Tank on Exile really fun IMO. I've always been interested in this dynamic as we could get more use out of the more "OP" vehicles in the sandbox. People hated the Tank on Blood Gulch or any version of it, but I found that way more fun than disabling it. And no, the Wraith is not a satisfying replacement.

People just hate vehicles, that's what it comes down to. I'm just hoping they take more of a prominent role in Halo 5's BTB after the improvements to the weapon sandbox and added mobility options.
What's up with an Anti Aircraft Wraith?
It'll come in handy against the HAWK in this new BTB ;]

RSB

Banned
There's still time before the game releases. I'm sure they'll realize how dumb it would be to remove something as iconic as the classic Halo rocket launcher, and in the end they will include it.

Just like they'll include the option to use the classic scope instead of ADS. Makes too much sense no to do it.

darthbob

There's still time before the game releases. I'm sure they'll realize how dumb it would be to remove something as iconic as the classic Halo rocket launcher, and in the end they will include it.

Just like they'll include the option to use the classic scope instead of ADS. Makes too much sense no too do it.

I don't know about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom