• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Ryn

Banned
I'd like to see the Falcon return in Halo 5. It really was the Warthog of the sky.
The Falcon is one of the best flying vehicles I've used in a game yet. It's awesome.

If we get Legendary Vehicles we better get the Locust as an aggressive, wall-climbing anti-vehicle / anti-air mech solution and a pilotable Strato-Sentinel.
Prototype suit > all

And if you're going to go big, might as well do it seriously.
Daaamn straight

Ramirez

There's still time before the game releases. I'm sure they'll realize how dumb it would be to remove something as iconic as the classic Halo rocket launcher, and in the end they will include it.

Just like they'll include the option to use the classic scope instead of ADS. Makes too much sense no to do it.

lol sure

CliQ

I don't think removing the rocket means a modernization of the game. That argument could easily be used for a lot of weapons in Halo.

You missed the point. It's more than just removing the rocket its creating a successor. Something that can be better suited for a more evolved Halo. I'm not saying I won't miss old faithful but I'm starting to trust 343 and their decisions after my experiences in the beta.

You missed the point. It's more than just removing the rocket its creating a successor. Something that can be better suited for a more evolved Halo. I'm not saying I won't miss old faithful but I'm starting to trust 343 and their decisions after my experiences in the beta.

I don't see how the rocket isn't any more suited for a more evolved Halo than the AR, pistol, etc...

dwells

Anyone who thinks that 343i is going to remove sprint, ADS, or Spartan abilities is crazy. I doubt they're gonna add a classic scope option, either, because it's not a classic scope. It's not just a cosmetic thing, it's a new key gameplay mechanic.

343i seems pretty determined to move away from "old Halo." Which is a shame, because I feel like H2A is really into something and could be great with some tweaking and more content. Unfortunately, I think the damage of the bad launch and continuing problems will ultimately overshadow the game's potential. Not to mention the fact that Halo 5 is clearly the main focus and MCC appears to be a stopgap more than anything.

Not trying to be negative or anything, either - just the impression I have based on what we've seen.

CliQ

I don't see how the rocket isn't any more suited for a more evolved Halo than the AR, pistol, etc...

Well I don't want to defend 343 too much but I would think that they wanted to introduce some new weapons without bloating the weapon count. They probably took a look at the rocket and thought they could make a weapon that's more dynamic then a point and shoot explosion gun.

Well I don't want to defend 343 too much but I would think that they wanted to introduce some new weapons without bloating the weapon count. They probably took a look at the rocket and thought they could make a weapon that's more dynamic then a point and shoot explosion gun.

Unnecessarily increase complexity for no good reason? Sounds like 343!

CliQ

Unnecessarily increase complexity for no good reason? Sounds like 343!

Fair enough. I agree that less is more. I've probably defended 343 to much today. Trust me I understand I've been playing Halo for probably too long. I guess I'm just getting to the point where I'm looking for something different in my Halo after all these years. I never thought I'd say that.

If Halo 5 turns out to be a BR start spawn trapping snapshot shooter again I'll probably just get bored. That Halo has been played like a broken record.

How many more 15 minute mlg sniper montages can we watch?

DJ Gunner

So it looks like this update is the first to legitimately make things worse.

Parties are busted, badly.

Not the update to have right before Christmas.

RSB

Banned
I don't know about that.
They know including the option to use the classic scope would please the old fans that absolutely cannot stand ADS in a Halo game. There are no downsides to its inclusion, it would be dumb not to have it. If you like ADS, you use ADS; if you like the classic scope, you use the classic scope. Win-win.

They will, of course, have ADS as default (just as the default control scheme will have zoom on LT) to please the modern shooter crowd and the dumb reviewers who would cry "OMG, why cant I ADS?!" if that wasn't the case.

Actually, I was thinking about it a little differently. The problem with tanks in Halo has been that, traditionally, they either suck and are unsatisfying to use or they straight up break the game (speaking about multi, of course). This is because frankly, 16 people isn't enough to justify the presence of 1 tank, let alone 2. You either nerf it to the point it no longer feels like a tank, or make it feel like a tank, thus making it OP. Neither makes for good gameplay.

However, with the possibility of BTB+ or Invasion 2.0, there are new opportunities for larger-scale battles on the horizon. The tank could finally have a viable place in the sandbox. And if you're going to go big, might as well do it seriously.
^Case in point, people just hate vehicles.

To say the Tank is only fair in games with like 32 players is to say the Rocket is only fair for 8v8. I disagree with that notion because you terribly underestimate the importance of the weapon sandbox with the dynamics of vehicle combat, let alone movement and situational awareness.
Anyone who thinks that 343i is going to remove sprint, ADS, or Spartan abilities is crazy. I doubt they're gonna add a classic scope option, either, because it's not a classic scope. It's not just a cosmetic thing, it's a new key gameplay mechanic.
It's not new; it already exists in H2A. You scope in with the Carbine and the reticle decreases in size, which is exactly what people are asking for as an alternative to ADS. The H2A SMG already reduces spread too.

If 343 allows for traditional scopes without ADS, that would go a long way towards their image and having the community respect them. Halo fans (some of the most hardcore fans of any franchise who put insane amounts of hours into these games and equally as important, its commnities) have to beg and beg and beg and beg and make fools of themselves for years before any slight changes are seen, and that's not entitlement because let's not forget the context of which we're talking about here. No one's suggesting they add completely new features or something that would take years of development time, we're talking about just a circle on the screen like we've always had, perhaps even just removing the weapon from the screen if they don't want to design anything too different.

//==========

I think it's important to note that 343 has the chance to change the dynamic between Halo devs and the Halo community, and they've been doing a great job so far with The Sprint series, so hopefully they keep that up. If they decide against classic zoom, people will forever hold that grudge because of how "simple" it seems to implement over a year away from launch. This may be entitlement, to ask for an explanation, but can you really blame them? It's a alternative that doesn't detract whatsoever from the ADS, LT aim crowd they're aiming to attract.

They know including the option to use the classic scope would please the old fans that absolutely cannot stand ADS in a Halo game. There are no downsides to its inclusion, it would be dumb not to have it. If you like ADS, you use ADS; if you like the classic scope, you use the classic scope. Win-win.

They will, of course, have ADS as default (just as the default control scheme will have zoom on LT) to please the modern shooter crowd and the dumb reviewers who would cry "OMG, why cant I ADS?!" if that wasn't the case.

Weapons are designed with two sets of traits now: hipfire and ADS. Which traits are applied to classic scope? What about weapons without scopes like Prophet's Bane? ADS is core functionality now. There will be no toggles for it.

CliQ

^Case in point, people just hate vehicles.

To say the Tank is only fair in games with like 32 players is to say the Rocket is only fair for 8v8. I disagree with that notion because you terribly underestimate the importance of the weapon sandbox with the dynamics of vehicle combat, let alone movement and situational awareness.

It's not new; it already exists in H2A. You scope in with the Carbine and the reticle decreases in size, which is exactly what people are asking for as an alternative to ADS. The H2A SMG already reduces spread too.

If 343 allows for traditional scopes without ADS, that would go a long way towards their image and having the community respect them. Halo fans (some of the most hardcore fans of any franchise who put insane amounts of hours into these games) have to beg and beg and beg and beg and make fools of themselves for years before any slight changes are seen, and that's not entitlement because let's not forget the context of which we're talking about here. No one's suggesting they add completely new features or something that would take years of development time, we're talking about just a circle on the screen like we've always had, perhaps even just removing the weapon from the screen if they don't want to design anything too different.

//==========

I think it's important to note that 343 has the chance to change the dynamic between Halo devs and the Halo community, and they've been doing a great job so far with The Sprint series, so hopefully they keep that up. If they decide against classic zoom, people will forever hold that grudge because of how "simple" it seems to implement over a year away from launch. This may be entitlement, to ask for an explanation, but can you really blame them? It's a alternative that doesn't detract whatsoever from the ADS, LT aim crowd they're aiming to attract.

The Tank is a tough one Funknown. It can really dominate a map with a great team and you know I'm normally in favor of dominating gameplay but there needs to be a point where the other team get a shot. Just a shot at bringing the game back to a winnable state. What do you think they should do with the tank?

Weapons are designed with two sets of traits now: hipfire and ADS. Which traits are applied to classic scope? What about weapons without scopes like Prophet's Bane? ADS is core functionality now. There will be no toggles for it.
Why can't traditional scopes only apply to weapons where they've always been? No one's asking for the classic zoom to replace the ADS on the Sword..

ADS and traditional scopes can coexist.

The Tank is a tough one Funknown. It can really dominate a map with a great team and you know I'm normally in favor of dominating gameplay but there needs to be a point where the other team get a shot. Just a shot at bringing the game back to a winnable state. What do you think they should do with the tank?
I remember your thoughts on even the CE Tank despite being able to easily shoot them right out of it, so idk mannnnnnn..... I think you hate vehicles too.

Halo 5 is going to be a great divide, I'm thinking. If you like infantry combat only and hate vehicles go to Arena and GTFO out of BTB. If you like vehicles, BTB will be your luvshack.

Vertical strike option.

Why can't traditional scopes only apply to weapons where they've always been? No one's asking for the classic zoom to replace the ADS on the Sword..

Do you not think the AR was designed around two different behavior sets, hipfire and ads? Which behavior set do you make the AR function as without the ads mechanic?

-Ryn

Banned
Weapons in Halo have always had 2 sets of behavior if you think that a boost in accuracy is a different behavior.

The difference between ADS and Zoom from a functional standpoint is that now it isn't just reserved to precision weapons. What happens with automatics? It increases their range. What happens with Prophets Bane? It increases its range. It does not function any different from zoom which is why a toggle shouldn't be a problem to implement.

Do you not think the AR was designed around two different behavior sets, hipfire and ads? Which behavior set do you make the AR function as without the ads mechanic?
But why can't the AR function exactly the same as it does with ADS if you use the classic zoom with it?

..or perhaps you share the belief that the AR should not have this added range in the first place, which is in fact a very different argument.

Weapons in Halo have always had 2 sets of behavior if you think that a boost in accuracy is a different behavior.

The difference between ADS and Zoom from a functional standpoint is that now it isn't just reserved to precision weapons. What happens with automatics? It increases their range. What happens with Prophets Bane? It increases its range. It does not function any different from zoom which is why a toggle shouldn't be a problem to implement.

You are right. What was I thinking. Halo has always played this way.

CliQ

I remember your thoughts on even the CE Tank despite being able to easily shoot them right out of it, so idk mannnnnnn..... I think you hate vehicles too.

Halo 5 is going to be a great divide, I'm thinking. If you like infantry combat go to Arena and GTFO out of BTB. If you like vehicles, BTB will be your luvshack.

Yeah it is very easy to kill a guy in a tank in CE. Unless they drive backwards and shove themself as far away from everyone as possible and rain down tank rounds across the map. Then they get a hold of the second tank and do the same thing with that. I've seen it before and I know you have to.

I love vehicles don't get me wrong. I'm surprised you really think I hate vehicles. Makes me a sad panda.

But why can't the AR function exactly the same as it does with ADS if you use the classic zoom with it?

..or perhaps you share the belief that the AR should not have this added range in the first place, which is in fact a very different argument.

Weapons having defined niches and not being able to fill every role that every other weapon fills is a very different argument indeed.

Why do we just have an SMG and AR. Where is the machine pistol and the SAW? WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH OVERLAP YET.

darthbob

Vertical strike option.

Predator Missile Inbound

20100806035031!Emblem-Anim-predator-missile.gif

not in my halo plz

Ramirez

I think ADS on the DMR is their way of balancing the weapons dominance, and it works. ACOGs in any game sacrifices vision for range, the old scope system had no drawbacks to the DMRs range. There won't be a toggle to go back to old scopes, dream on brothas.

Halo 5 is going to be a great divide, I'm thinking. If you like infantry combat only and hate vehicles go to Arena and GTFO out of BTB. If you like vehicles, BTB will be your luvshack.

Okay, now I wonder if you're being sarcastic. Being able to shoot someone out of the tank (or rather, being able to be shot out of the tank) is part of the unsatisfying problem. Tanks should be: powerful, tough, and yes, fast (or at least responsive). Driving a tank should make you nigh-unkillable, barring lots of dedicated anti-vehicle weapons and vehicles, which 8 opposing players really just can't provide. So, they decide to forgoe all that, and make tanks really just big lumbering warthogs with a cannon instead of a chaingun.

The only way to have a proper tank, and give the opposing team a fighting chance, is to up the player count.

Oh, and I love vehicles. It's why I so badly want a proper tank.

VinFTW

I think ADS on the DMR is their way of balancing the weapons dominance, and it works. ACOGs in any game sacrifices vision for range, the old scope system had no drawbacks to the DMRs range. There won't be a toggle to go back to old scopes, dream on brothas.

I hate to say this... but I prefer it this way, so I agree with this.

I have absolutely no issues with ADS in this game. I have no idea why. Seems like a balancing act, especially for the DMR.

Yeah it is very easy to kill a guy in a tank in CE. Unless they drive backwards and shove themself as far away from everyone as possible and rain down tank rounds across the map. Then they get a hold of the second tank and do the same thing with that. I've seen it before and I know you have to.
Two things:
  1. CE vehicles are indestructable so the Halo 5 Tank should not be for obvious reasons.
  2. Tank as a power vehicle to fight over could be interesting instead of having one per team. Either way, new mobility options and increased effectiveness of the weapon sandbox could balance out a power vehicle sandbox.

Just face it, you hate vehicles. PROVE ME WRONG, HOW MANY KILLS DO YOU HAVE IN A GHOST or Wheelman assists do you have or or or something?! Cold hard data son, where's Karl? You vehicle hater you.
Weapons having defined niches and not being able to fill every role that every other weapon fills is a very different argument indeed.

Why do we just have an SMG and AR. Where is the machine pistol and the SAW? WE DONT HAVE ENOUGH OVERLAP YET.
Your exaggerations are showing. The way I take is they increased the effective range of combat in Halo 5 across the board, so no longer are we playing a Halo game where it's just BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR Rocket/Sniper BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR

EDIT:
Okay, now I wonder if you're being sarcastic. Being able to shoot someone out of the tank (or rather, being able to be shot out of the tank) is part of the unsatisfying problem. Tanks should be: powerful, tough, and yes, fast (or at least responsive). Driving a tank should make you nigh-unkillable, barring lots of dedicated anti-vehicle weapons and vehicles, which 8 opposing players really just can't provide. So, they decide to forgoe all that, and make tanks really just big lumbering warthogs with a cannon instead of a chaingun.

The only way to have a proper tank, and give the opposing team a fighting chance, is to up the player count.

Oh, and I love vehicles. It's why I so badly want a proper tank.
Bruh, this ain't Battlefield.

I was re watching some the clips I recorded from the beta, and I have come to realize that Halo 5 is BROKEN. My proof.

Theres no way im that bad. Its clearly the games fault.

I'm the best.

Madness

I don't think of the SPNKr as being that iconic, honestly. The AR? Definitely. The sword? Yeah. The SPNKr? Nah.

I think that what they might have done is split up the role. The new tubelauncher does anti-vehicle, the Hydra does anti-infantry.

Considering the rocket launcher is the only one with a funny/unique name, I'd disagree. Very iconic.

I think Halo fans see it as iconic, but idk about people outside of our group. Still feel weird about it's lack of an appearance so far, but I'm far from wanting to riot.

I doubt anyone outside of Halo fans see anything iconic about the AR either, or BR etc. That's the point, it's been iconic to fans since CE. The name, the look, the weapon shape etc.

CliQ

Two things:
  1. CE vehicles are indestructable so the Halo 5 Tank should not be for obvious reasons.
  2. Tank as a power vehicle to fight over could be interesting instead of having one per team. Either way, new mobility options and increased effectiveness of the weapon sandbox could balance out a power vehicle sandbox.

Just face it, you hate vehicles. PROVE ME WRONG, HOW MANY KILLS DO YOU HAVE IN A GHOST or Wheelman assists do you have or or or something?! Cold hard data son, where's Karl? You vehicle hater you.

Your exaggerations are showing. The way I take is they increased the effective range of combat in Halo 5 across the board, so no longer are we playing a Halo game where it's just BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRB Rocket/Sniper BRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBR

Here is my friend's montage of pure Warthog gameplay. I'm in almost every clip.

Here's a link to my Medals in Reach - 850 Wheelman

Here's my Halo 3 page. Look at my picture... In fact look through my screenshots almost everyone is some picture of me in a vehicle.

Here's my Halo 3 medals - Over 2,000 Wheelman

Wish I had some Halo Ce/2 stats to show you but I think you get the point. Also, you'll probably notice my most played playlists were Objective, Squad Battle, and BTB. I love you FUNKNOWN, will you accept me once again as a defender of BTB?

Ramirez

Do people really care about the looks of weapons? All of the weapons change design basically every game. It's still gonna be a RL, who cares?

I'm exaggerating? I think you are lying to yourself if you think a Magnum, SMG, AR, BR, and DMR are all filling their own unique roles in the weapon sandbox.
You put too much emphasis on to what extent they do. We're not going back to a Halo game with less than 10 weapons, so you're going to have some overlap.

Would you want to remove the DMR because it overlaps with the BR? I for damn sure would not want to use the burst fire BR all the time, so having another weapon to fulfill a separate niche that overlaps with another is fine by me. The problem is when they start adding too many of the same exact* weapons like in Halo 4, not because they have some weapons that overlap but still feel pretty different.
Wish I had some Halo Ce/2 stats to show you but I think you get the point. Also, you'll probably notice my most played playlists were Objective, Squad Battle, and BTB. I love you FUNKNOWN, will you except me once again as a defender of BTB?
NOPE. I know you're a fellow BTB lover, but I THINK it's because you only like the larger player counts and killing others in vehicles.

lmfao <3

You put too much emphasis on to what extent they do. We're not going back to a Halo game with less than 10 weapons, so you're going to have some overlap.

Would you want to remove the DMR because it overlaps with the BR? I for damn sure would not want to use the burst fire BR all the time, so having another weapon to fulfill a separate niche that overlaps with another is fine by me. The problem is when they start adding too many of the same exact* weapons like in Halo 4, not because they have some weapons that overlap but still feel pretty different.

In Halo 5, what's the difference between a Magnum and a DMR?

EDIT:
Bruh, this ain't Battlefield.

Not yet.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Ahem.

I was re watching some the clips I recorded from the beta, and I have come to realize that Halo 5 is BROKEN. My proof.

Theres no way im that bad. Its clearly the games fault.

I'm the best.

Backdash is going to be the go-to maneuver for crazy awesome montages, I can already tell.

I'm exaggerating? I think you are lying to yourself if you think a Magnum, SMG, AR, BR, and DMR are all filling their own unique roles in the weapon sandbox.

Magnum: Starting precision weapon, allows you to score headshots at a decent range, and even win out against the BR and DMR at medium range.

SMG: Power Weapon Lite. Dominates at close range, can ADS to be an effective ambush weapon at medium range.

AR: Starting automatic. Can be used to control at close range (not against SMG or Shotty, tho), and with the ADS can work at medium range, even ping people out of scope at long range.

BR: Mid-range workhorse. Gets owned at close range vs. AR and SMG, but can attack from well beyond their effective ranges. 4sk means that it can outshoot the DMR at medium range, generally.

DMR: As the name suggests, more for long range combat, so it comes off a little samey relative to the BR on Truth and Empire, where the 3X scope is largely superfluous.

What else you got.

-Ryn

Banned
You are right. What was I thinking. Halo has always played this way.
Cute

You act like a wall dude. I don't think I've ever seen you concede that you might be wrong
without copious amounts of sarcasm.

What "roles" have weapons had in previous games when precision weapons have dominated at almost every range anyway? Halo CE was the only Halo game with distinct "roles" for each weapon. Every game after that has been primarily a utility weapon battle with a power weapon on the side. Automatics in previous Halos didn't even dominate at CLOSE range. Halo 4 was a bit better about this but precision weapons still dominated.

CliQ

FUNKNOWN get online and play some Halo with me. I want to yell at you about our polite conversation on vehicles. This isn't over...

Cute

You act like a wall dude. I don't think I've ever seen you concede that you might be wrong
without copious amounts of sarcasm.

What "roles" have weapons had in previous games when precision weapons have dominated at almost every range anyway? Halo CE was the only Halo game with distinct "roles" for each game. Every game after that has been primarily a utility weak battle with a power weapon on the side. Automatics in previous Halos didn't even dominate at CLOSE range. Halo 4 was a bit better about this but precision weapons still dominated.

This is pretty much my position when people start talking about the Halo sandbox like it's inviolate. Half the weapons have been basically superfluous since CE.

Madness

Do people really care about the looks of weapons? All of the weapons change design basically every game. It's still gonna be a RL, who cares?

Of course, because this is a futuristic shooter where it's hard to develop modern equivalents. Halo has a unique and smaller sandbox and weapons are iconic. They either move forward in games, or are removed. AR, BR, rocket launcher, sniper, energy sword, needler, plasma rifle, plasma pistol, etc. The weapons don't really change as much as you'd think through the iterations, 99% of the look remains the same. Halo 4 changed things like the shotgun a lot. You have to ask, why change it? For the sake of it?

Ramirez

Of course, because this is a futuristic shooter where it's hard to develop modern equivalents. Halo has a unique and smaller sandbox and weapons are iconic. They either move forward in games, or are removed. AR, BR, rocket launcher, sniper, energy sword, needler, plasma rifle, plasma pistol, etc. The weapons don't really change as much as you'd think through the iterations, 99% of the look remains the same. Halo 4 changed things like the shotgun a lot. You have to ask, why change it? For the sake of it?

The rocket is changing because of ADS, I'm sure.

These are different artists, I'm sure they want to put their own mark/spin on things.

I just don't care, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom