• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

The rocket is changing because of ADS, I'm sure.

These are different artists, I'm sure they want to put their own mark/spin on things.

I just don't care, personally.

Halo 4:

H4_rocket_trans.png

Halo: Reach

Surely there is a way to work their need for ADS into the design while still keeping it's familiar aesthetics no? They have to realize, they're taking over a mature series, with almost now 14 years of history. I get they want to put their mark on everything, but damn.

-Ryn

Banned
Surely there is a way to work their need for ADS into the design while still keeping it's familiar aesthetics no? They have to realize, they're taking over a mature series, with almost now 14 years of history. I get they want to put their mark on everything, but damn.
Isn't there a scope on the top of the SPNKr?

Chitown B

Not true. If base movement speed is 100% and sprint is 160% then make no-sprint movement speed 130%.

130% will still feel slow for the maps after playing with sprint. Unless you shrink the maps. Then you also have to take out shoulder slam, and other things. A lot of the jumps can't be made without sprinting.

130% will still feel slow for the maps after playing with sprint. Unless you shrink the maps. Then you also have to take out shoulder slam, and other things. A lot of the jumps can't be made without sprinting.

Thanks for reporting your findings on how 130% movement speed feels on Halo 5 maps.

Outnumbered and/or shot first in CE? Don't give up! People sometimes say that a benefit of the BR over the CE Magnum is since you have longer kill times and more shots to kill that you can come back if you're shot at first. Hmm, not really considering there's a lot of aim assist (ie: Halo 2) and you're not as empowered as an individual player thanks to motion tracker.
GTFO out of my way you standards, this is Combat Evolved.
Where's the Power-up control for Halo 5, 343? I really want to see Halo 5's Power-ups.

FUNKNOWN get online and play some Halo with me. I want to yell at you about our polite conversation on vehicles. This isn't over...
hahahahah

Soon™

RSB

Banned
I think ADS on the DMR is their way of balancing the weapons dominance, and it works. ACOGs in any game sacrifices vision for range, the old scope system had no drawbacks to the DMRs range. There won't be a toggle to go back to old scopes, dream on brothas.
When I asked Frankie if classic scopes would be in the game as an option at least, he said this:

Certainly not in beta. But try it, coherently complain. Who knows? Dec 29.
So yeah, having the classic scope/zoom in the final game is still very much possible.

Sephzilla

So MCC keeps telling me I unlocked a new movie in the Extras menu yet there is nothing marked as new so now I have no idea what to do to make the prompt stop appearing after every game.

When I asked Frankie if classic scopes would be in the game as an option at least, he said this:

So yeah, having the classic scope/zoom in the final game is still very much possible.

I could see them offering a classic scope option, but I suspect they'd do something to ensure the DMR still had the same tunnel vision effect, since it actually works quite well.

RSB

Banned
I could see them offering a classic scope option, but I suspect they'd do something to ensure the DMR still had the same tunnel vision effect, since it actually works quite well.
Precision weapons have always had the "tunnel vision" effect when zoomed. The only difference would be that the outer section of the screen would be obscured when using the classic scope, instead of having the gun in the middle of the screen.

The Magnum and DMR fill completely different roles in Halo 5. Secondary weapons belong in Halo. There should absolutely be intentionally inferior versions of weapons in the Halo weapon sandbox.

#sidearms

Precision weapons have always had the "tunnel vision" effect when zoomed. The only difference would be that the outer section of the screen would be obscured when using the classic scope, instead of having the gun in the middle of the screen.

Not to the same extent, though. I... actually thought that was part of the problem.

RSB

Banned
Not to the same extent, though. I... actually thought that was part of the problem.
There was never a problem with the classic zoom. ADS is not in the game to balance the guns, that's for sure. What a terrible (and dumb) way to balance the guns would that be, LOL.

They are including ADS not to scare away the modern shooter crowd, and to avoid stupid reviewers complaining about the game "being too archaic" for not including ADS. That's all there is to it.

Keep fuckin that chicken.
Sorry, I'm not into that. All yours.

There was never a problem with the classic zoom. ADS is not in the game to balance the guns, that's for sure. What a terrible (and dumb) way to balance the guns would that be, LOL.

They are including ADS not to scare away the modern shooter crowd, and to avoid stupid reviewers complaining about the game "being too archaic" for not including ADS.

Good fucking God, I wonder what ADS on the Shotgun will do. Wasn't like that weapon had a well defined role or anything.

Mix

Sprint episode 5 was cool. One of the things they talked about what that the map we saw yesterday in the preview was actually a forge map (or at least that the reason the kill barrier looked the way it did was because it was a forge item).

I am seriously missing Halo 5 right now. Still feel like the AR and SMG need a nerf and the pistol needs a range increase. Fracas is right when it comes to the BR not being as vital as it used to be, but I feel like it's because in comparison to the AR/SMG it's not as useful in the maps we got to play. I feels good at a mid to long range, but anything closer and it's just meh. Lowering the strength and range of the AR and SMG would fix this I think.

Madness

They are including ADS not to scare away the modern shooter crowd, and to avoid stupid reviewers complaining about the game "being too archaic" for not including ADS. That's all there is to it.

And it's crazy how many try and obfuscate that reason. They don't want their streamers like "Lisa Malambri" crying about ADS on streams and throwing grenades because they're causal CoD players, they don't want EGM and Metro.uk reviewers saying the gameplay is old fashioned, crying that you can't use iron sights like CoD, and they especially don't want to add another barrier to entry for the millions of CoD, Battlefield and now Destiny kids. I don't blame 343 at all, I just wish they'd come out straight with it, instead of coming up with reasons like immersion and what it means to be a Spartan. At least CA admitted on their H2A stream that's really the only reason killcams were in.

A handful of nerds on video games forums, versus millions of potential little timmy's who won't really care about anything unless it plays and looks cool just like Call of Duty.

If they don't have substantial options in customs this time around (like removing flinch, particular spartan abilities including smart scope, etc.) I can safely say the Beta is going to be my first and last time playing H5G.

RSB

Banned
If they don't have substantial options in customs this time around (like removing flinch, particular spartan abilities including smart scope, etc.) I can safely say the Beta is going to be my first and last time playing H5G.
Yep, I'm the same. If they don't include the classic scope as an option in the final game, Halo 5 would the first Halo I don't buy. Which would be totally crazy, considering I've bought two Xbox's, two 360's, an Xbone, and around 7 years of Xbox Live, just for Halo. Oh, and I own at least two different versions of every Halo game (the ones that had more than one version)

Hopefully it won't come to that, and 343 will include it to please the old Halo fans that can't stand that ADS filth.

It's not new; it already exists in H2A. You scope in with the Carbine and the reticle decreases in size, which is exactly what people are asking for as an alternative to ADS. The H2A SMG already reduces spread too.

If 343 allows for traditional scopes without ADS, that would go a long way towards their image and having the community respect them. Halo fans (some of the most hardcore fans of any franchise who put insane amounts of hours into these games and equally as important, its commnities) have to beg and beg and beg and beg and make fools of themselves for years before any slight changes are seen, and that's not entitlement because let's not forget the context of which we're talking about here. No one's suggesting they add completely new features or something that would take years of development time, we're talking about just a circle on the screen like we've always had, perhaps even just removing the weapon from the screen if they don't want to design anything too different.

//==========

I think it's important to note that 343 has the chance to change the dynamic between Halo devs and the Halo community, and they've been doing a great job so far with The Sprint series, so hopefully they keep that up. If they decide against classic zoom, people will forever hold that grudge because of how "simple" it seems to implement over a year away from launch. This may be entitlement, to ask for an explanation, but can you really blame them? It's a alternative that doesn't detract whatsoever from the ADS, LT aim crowd they're aiming to attract.
Awesome post.

Mix

Do you have any leeway on that? Say if you have the option to toggle everything but Smart Scope, will you be okay with it?

Madness

Really liking these Sprints so much. Much more personal and informal than ViDoc's even. Too often we just see names and don't really see the people behind them or the work they put in.

I wish this latest episode would have shown a little of what it was like at the studio for the few days before Halofest when the ADS gif launched. Surely Quinn, Josh and everyone else wouldn't have been happy that their game was being judged solely on 5 second clips without context. Affected them enough that even Frank, Bonnie and Josh responded.

lmfao Quinn with the HALO CE KID shirt in the latest The Sprint. Looks like a fun place to work.

It's ironic how they used paintballing for Breakout's development because I was talking about that with a friend recently, recalling how huge paintballing was around the era CE launched. My friends and I used to go paintballing, then play so much Halo; the two felt part of the same culture in a lot of ways. That was a nice little surprise for me as I've always been interested in either a paintball mode for Halo or for some mode to be similar to paintball, and so far it's looking great. Limited lives modes can be really exciting.

-Ryn

Banned
lmfao Quinn with the HALO CE KID shirt in the latest The Sprint. Looks like a fun place to work.

It's ironic how they used paintballing for Breakout's development because I was talking about that with a friend recently, recalling how huge paintballing was around the era CE launched. My friends and I used to go paintballing, then play so much Halo; the two felt part of the same culture in a lot of ways. That was a nice little surprise for me as I've always been interested in either a paintball mode for Halo or for some mode to be similar to paintball, and so far it's looking great. Limited lives modes can be really exciting.
I remember way back before Reach was released I had an idea for a elimination mode in Halo similar to Breakout just without the nerfed shields. Really excited that something like it is happening.

I can't wait to see what else 343 does for behind the scenes stuff. I'd love it if they had a special edition like Halo 2 or 3 just packed with bonus content. I'd take that kind of bonus material over in game items any day.

Cant wait to learn about the campaign. Hope the h5 campaign is vibrant and huge. I wanna fight the flood again.

next gen library please

jem0208

Weapons are designed with two sets of traits now: hipfire and ADS. Which traits are applied to classic scope? What about weapons without scopes like Prophet's Bane? ADS is core functionality now. There will be no toggles for it.

That's not true. The only place where ADS has actually changed the mechanics is where there hadn't been some form of scoping previously. It wouldn't be difficult to add classic zoom to the precision weapons.

That said I think they're using the zoom as a way of balancing the weapons, so I don't think it's likely.

I'm exaggerating? I think you are lying to yourself if you think a Magnum, SMG, AR, BR, and DMR are all filling their own unique roles in the weapon sandbox.

In the beta I regularly found myself swapping out for all these weapons though depending on the enemy positions, what my next strategy was going to be etc.

The BR was beastly as mid range but whenever I saw a bunch of enemies across the map the DMR was a better solution, the SMG was better for clearing out a small room whereas the AR was more suited a general purpose close to mid range weapon.

The magnum was an excellent starting weapon as it was capable at range but not too powerful to make the other weapons obsolete.

Their roles definitely bleed into each other somewhat, however I thought there was enough distinction between them to make them all viable depending on different situations. Since CE the weapon set of Halo has very much been BR and powerweapons. That thankfully doesn't seem to be the case with 5.

CliQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHMoXlmDeTQ
Damn, this video has all of the classic "Montage Elements" to it. But it needs more Screen-Wipe.

Also, my friend called the Grenade-Weapon Mechanic a Gimmick as it doesn't add much to the overall game.

Do you think it's a gimmick or does it add a lot to the game?

Not a gimmick in CE at all. Being able force a weapon to you rather than sticking your neck out is a pretty big deal when it comes to not dying.

If they keep this mechanic in Halo 5 you bet it will be used by the top players.

Why do people assume that the Hydra is replacing the Rocket Launcher? Is it because the phrasing in episode 5 of The Sprint? ('Try out the Hydra. It's our new multi lock Rocket Launcher.') How does that exactly confirm that the Hydra is the replacement? Or do people expect every sentence said in 'The Sprint' is carefully written?

It is even functional different than the old RL.

What did Frank spray on the windows of the testing room? It looked like the Halo symbol and maybe the #5?
It looks more like Dickbutt...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom